No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Two weeks have passed since Boyle left the movie. The silence is deafening. What is going on?
    Probably as much as before, or more. Before Boyle left, a lot must have been happening, yet hardly anything was made public. Apparently they want to keep it that way for the time being. Which I appreciate, despite my curiosity, because at least it doesn´t lead my expectations in the wrong direction.

• I think Ryan Cooglerr will be a good choice .
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    peter wrote: »
    I've only seen the Ipcress File... (great film)...

The Ipcress File is one of my all-time favourite films. Absolutely love it. Funeral in Berlin is also worth a watch. The 90's films are more forgettable (although I'm planning a rewatch of them soon). The two 90's films also features Jason Connery!
    Looking at pics of Finland and its capital city, Helsinki, and wow, what a great setting for some Bond action... Checkout this "rock Church"... Imagine a secret meeting and a murder of an ally in this place...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temppeliaukio_Church

(I immediately got the FRWL soundtrack in my head...)

An uncle of mine has travelled to Finland more than a few times, and he says it's a great place to visit, and very overlooked as a tourist destination. I think Finland could be a great place to shoot scenes for Bond 25.

Then we might check out LORDI for the theme song? They won the ESC back in 2006. ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I Love all this willing for Bond to be sold off, some of you seem pretty sure that the films would in a better place when you really don't know where the series would be under to stewardship of a big studio.

Be careful what you wish for....

The brand would be stretched and as long as you want TV series & film spin offs? Plus Nolan wouldn't be around forever and who knows what a big studio would influence being cast as Bond.

I think some you just forget how this character has been protected over the years by being controlled by it's tight net within this family.

Cubby didn't always make the right decisons and the Internet intensified magnifying glass makes the issues now look so much worse as I said before about what other Bond actors would look like in the internet age? Try to imagine the Cubby era and all it's issues over the years with the kind of big brother like intrusive internet?

There is a lot of wearing of rose tinted glasses of nostalgia going on here from some of you and in all fairness some of you aren't even old enough to know what it was like back then you've just caught up using the internet and now seem to be experts on the era.

I'm 46 and admit to getting to spats over the character and that is wrong and telling someone they haven't got a clue because of their age although as I found out only very recently jasonbond006 wasn't what many of you thought and turned out to be a right fraud.

Andi1996Ruegg fella I got into a spat with was actually our fraudulent friend jasonbond006 with another identity, I do hope some of you felt foolish after that narcissist was exposed for what he was, if posting pictures of himself he wasn't enough, are even sure he was ever was a soldier?

Of course if there of those out there that thought this was perfectly acceptable because you thought he was a jolly nice bloke, go back and read some of your posts my god talk about gullible, some of you were led right up the garden path with that one.

You actually thought you were conversing with a different person, did no one smell a rat when he claimed to be new to the series and then went on to show rather a considerable amount of knowledge, 2000+ post count in 6 - 5 weeks. Not sure he was ever who claimed to be.

I'll admit my arrogance deserved the posts it got when I stated my length of being a fan had more relevance that a newbie to the series even if it jasonbond006's alterego baiting the likes of me into it and flaunting forum rules to do it. @Murdock I'll quote your comment In the words of Moore's Bond. "There's a useful four letter word. And you're full of it." and I was bought back down to earth, some of you also got stuck in as well but that's water under bridge.

That being said having experience of being a fan outside of the internet age gives me and some others a different perspective on things, the internet has bought on the I want right now age, try to imagine what it was like waiting for Bond films before this?

You say 2 years between entries was so much better but there certainly wasn't contant coverage of the film, we got the odd soundbites here and there and film publications offered the odd morsel of details here and there, some of you judging by your entitlement would have gone out of your minds waiting for something, 2 years yeah but certainly not something that you could read about everyday.

The lead up to the Royal Premiere on British TV with interviews with the cast and crew and those clips, my god seeing TLD premiere on TV, how many times I watched that program on VHS after watching the clips, you certainly didn't get access to the trailer that would have been rare and on the occasion you went to the cinema.

I'm not here to get my post count up like some are, I sometimes wonder if some of you think this is twitter at times?

I just wanted to offer a perspective from someone who has been a Bond fan for over 4 decades and yes there are some who have even more history with the character like @Birdleson for instance but I do feel some of you want it now and you want it right now and this thread has become an example of large portion of entitlement.

What makes you think you deserve anything, please explain will you because as much as I was picked up on my arrogance back in January, feel free to check it out if you like I have nothing to hide, I admit it was seriously arrogant, page 1268 of this very thread, I well and truly got a well deserved dose of ridicule.

That being said what makes some of your entitlement for news any better? Some must question their judgement of character after the whole jasonbond006 fiasco, possibly smug I'll give you that but I couldn't help but notice looking back over Andi1996Ruegg's post and some of your correspondence with him that some of you need better radar for BS.

I've made a few friends recently on here although I do have a life outside of the forum and the idea that someone would crave acceptability on an internet forum is very sad, maybe there are more of these type of scenarios still not exposed on MI6 some of the brownnosing that goes on it does make me wonder.

Shardlake
    All valid points, but they only stand up if EON still continues to demonstrate a real willingness/ability to actually make Bond movies, which seems increasingly questionable.

Since SP EON have made 2 films. Neither of them Bond movies. Meanwhile the current Bond film seems to be deep in production hell.

So yes, EON has done a great job over the years, although the slow down in production in the last quarter of a century has been marked. Nothing lasts forever so it's inevitable/valid to ask these questions. I'm sure Babs is asking them of herself. Presumably there conceivably comes a time in every person's life when they question what they're doing and why. She wouldn't be human if she didn't also ask those questions of herself.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The brand would be stretched and as long as you want TV series & film spin offs? Plus Nolan wouldn't be around forever and who knows what a big studio would influence being cast as Bond.
    I would be happy to sacrifice the long term future of the Bond franchise for one truly first rate Bond movie written & directed by Christopher Nolan and produced by Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas.
    I would be happy to sacrifice the long term future of the Bond franchise for one truly first rate Bond movie written & directed by Christopher Nolan and produced by Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas.

I wasn't under any illusion you weren't but Nolan won't be the one entirely put in charge, they'll be a studio who'll call the shots.

Also Nolan won't stick around forever, like I said be careful what you wish for....

You have to ask yourself are you a Bond fan or a Christopher Nolan one because I'm really not sure Panchito?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,087

That's exactly where I am. EXACTLY. I just want one more Bond classic. I don't care about what happens after that. Probably a CGI Connery?

Even the Nolan pessimists have to admit that him directing a Bond film means PRACTICAL ACTION SHOT ON FILM. In other words, like how the other Bond films from the sixties and seventies were done. Nolan is a TRADITIONALIST, and that is a dying breed. Bond is a franchise that is steeped tradition

Even if you hate Nolan you have to concede, he will not give us a glossy digital CGI-fest. That is a big plus in my book.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think Ryan Cooglerr will be a good choice .

While he won the Albert Broccoli award for one of his short films, he doesn't need a Bond film to direct. After only 3 films under his belt, his third being bigger than any Bond or Bat-Man film and the biggest solo superhero film in history and the highest domestic grossing film of the year, he doesn't need EoN and their wishwashy processes cramping on his creativity. He's too busy creating a cultural phenomenon, making and breaking meaningful records. EoN can stick to planning their next pyrotechnic explosion to be entered in the guiness book of world records.

That's exactly where I am. EXACTLY. I just want one more Bond classic. I don't care about what happens after that. Probably a CGI Connery?

Even the Nolan pessimists have to admit that him directing a Bond film means PRACTICAL ACTION SHOT ON FILM. In other words, like how the other Bond films from the sixties and seventies were done. Nolan is a TRADITIONALIST, and that is a dying breed. Bond is a franchise that is steeped tradition

Even if you hate Nolan you have to concede, he will not give us a glossy digital CGI-fest. That is a big plus in my book.

I don't hate Nolan far from it, he's one of my favourite film makers around but I don't believe a studio would let him just take control and have no input.

I don't see EON working with Nolan so the only option is them selling up and as much as some of you want that to happen despite some rumblings I don't think Barbara will do that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Lot's of anger directed at EoN. They made a sub-par Bond film, but are batting 3/4; but lets talk about how wishy-washy they are and beat to death the one (granted silly) explosion that made it into the Guiness Book.

I suppose when one puts something up as the highest point on a totem pole, there's only one direction to go...

But if one were to look at the entire history of EoN, there have, like any film company-- or any company that does business, period-- plenty of ups and downs.

Successful companies, like Eon survive because they are consistent and put together more wins than losses.

If running a film franchise were as easy as people here make it sound, I wonder why we don't see them running their own successful franchises?

Sometimes I think the both of you are actually one and the same based on your mutual thoughts. Clones, perhaps?

I don't hate Nolan far from it, he's one of my favourite film makers around but I don't believe a studio would let him just take control and have no input.

I don't see EON working with Nolan so the only option is them selling up and as much as some of you want that to happen despite some rumblings I don't think Barbara will do that.

I would hope Barbara never sells Bond. Although the longer gaps do worry me, and perhaps another studio would get the films out sooner, I still a sale could go badly.
    Eon is very protective and careful with Bond, which I doubt any other producer would be. I do feel if someone else produced Bond we would most certainly an A lister cast or a flavor of the month as 007 regardless of their suitability for the role.
    Lot's of anger directed at EoN. They made a sub-par Bond film, but are batting 3/4; but lets talk about how wishy-washy they are and beat to death the one (granted silly) explosion that made it into the Guiness Book.

I suppose when one puts something up as the highest point on a totem pole, there's only one direction to go...

But if one were to look at the entire history of EoN, there have, like any film company-- or any company that does business, period-- plenty of ups and downs.

Successful companies, like Eon survive because they are consistent and put together more wins than losses.

If running a film franchise were as easy as people here make it sound, I wonder why we don't see them running their own successful franchises?
    I had similar thoughts. I have made my share of criticisms on Eon, but ultimately I have never produced a film that wasn't done on 8mm for a film class. Our heads would spin after an hour with what it takes. It's easy to do so behind a keyboard.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318
    I hereby nominate John Glen for Bond 25. Just one last time, sir, if you will (great little video about Glenn's vision regarding Bond)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    EoN have made many subpar Bond films and I'm not really buying giving them any slack. Irrespective of the cause for delays of the Craig era, the one thing this era has had over any other Bond era is time; and they've squandered it! EoN aren't some green production company, they're OGs in the game and quote frankly their outdated and to be frank rather silly and limiting business model is crushing any real potential for growth. I love the films that came before but I don't give a damn about that when it comes to the here and now and what's expected to come. Relying on past glories means nothing when they can't even get preproduction going properly with ample time twice in a row in the space of over half a decade.

When it comes down to it, EoN have a job to do, I'm not interested in people citing good work they've done before years ago, what about Now? It's often thrown about how EoN do well in cycles (which is a bs strategy in and of itself) and this whole rubbish about them needing more time will result in a better film which has also been proven to be nonsense. The simple fact is, they need to be doing a much better job. End of.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    delete
    as EON is I assume owned by Babs and WGW equally I assume there is also the possibility that one wants to sell up more than the other.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Lot's of anger directed at EoN. They made a sub-par Bond film, but are batting 3/4;
    The Barbara Broccoli - Michael G Wilson team is batting 3/7. On one had you have GE, CR and SF, on the other hand you have TND, TWINE, DAD, QOS and SP.
    I haven't inherited one.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    doubleoego wrote: »
    EoN have made many subpar Bond films and I'm not really buying giving them any slack. Irrespective of the cause for delays of the Craig era, the one thing this era has had over any other Bond era is time; and they've squandered it! EoN aren't some green production company, they're OGs in the game and quote frankly their outdated and to be frank rather silly and limiting business model is crushing any real potential for growth. I love the films that came before but I don't give a damn about that when it comes to the here and now and what's expected to come. Relying on past glories means nothing when they can't even get preproduction going properly with ample time twice in a row in the space of over half a decade.

When it comes down to it, EoN have a job to do, I'm not interested in people citing good work they've done before years ago, what about Now? It's often thrown about how EoN do well in cycles (which is a bs strategy in and of itself) and this whole rubbish about them needing more time will result in a better film which has also been proven to be nonsense. The simple fact is, they need to be doing a much better job. End of.

You seem to say this same thing over and over. I understand you're obvioulsy quite frustrated.

But for the foreseeable future, Barbra is going nowhere, so the very serious question I have for you @doubleoego is, without taking the piss: why are you still here? You're very upset and have expressed this many times, and you clearly have no faith in the future. So why not wash your hands of it all and move on? Enjoy the Bond films of the past, but give up until a re-cast? or until EoN is swallowed-up by a studio?

Why stick around in the present and remain so angry? This company, the producers, the lead actor, are no longer a part of your tastes.

And since Babs et al aren't going to leave, or change on your behalf, then what's the use of screaming into the wind?

I ask this with all sincerity.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Regarding EON selling: that won't happen in a vacuum. If it ever was to occur, it would probably be on account of a larger impetus, namely a shakeup at MGM. There are a variety of scenarios that can pan out in that event, some of which can allow EON to retain creative, if not operational control. It's way too early to speculate accurately, but it's certainly possible at some point down the road, and fans should understand this.

Regarding their output of late, it's been 50/50 so far during the Craig era for me, and 25/75 during Brozza's period. Hardly a great batting average as far as I'm concerned, particularly with the time it's taken to get these films out. I recognize the issues with MGM and what not, but strictly on a results basis, I haven't been all that impressed. Different leadership should not be assessed in the same vein. This team started batting in 95. Moreover, I think some of the creative decisions that they have taken have boxed them in and could have been avoided if they had been more strategic.

Still, it's water under the bridge. Only the future matters, and the clock is ticking. They had better get that film out next year, because this latest snafu is not organizational and is of their own creation.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Lot's of anger directed at EoN. They made a sub-par Bond film, but are batting 3/4;
    The Barbara Broccoli - Michael G Wilson team is batting 3/7. On one had you have GE, CR and SF, on the other hand you have TND, TWINE, DAD, QOS and SP.
    I haven't inherited one.

So go out and start one, mate. You're bubbling with awesome high concept ideas.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    twitter.com 1

Bond 25 (Bond25Film)
    It's been confirmed by Heineken's Senior Director, Gianluca Di Tondo, that Craig was indeed filming a tie-in ad for them earlier this year in Spain. It's expected to air 1.5 months before #Bond25's release.

Link: https://t.co/TK4AdveRNT

(Photo: SKYFALL Heineken ad)
    05:14 - 3 sep. 2018 14 1

Thanks to mi6community.com
  • peterpeter Toronto

I wasn't exactly a fan of some of the Moore years, and I wasn't a fan of the Brosnan years, so the Craig Era has been the most successful for me since Connery.

However, I was always a James Bond fan through these times and never doubted the future. I just watched more Connery and spent a lot more time with Ian Fleming's books.

But it doesn't matter in the end, what your opinions are, or mine.

EoN is still standing, and not barely. Whether you like the films or no, they have been remarkable at the WW Box Office...

In the past, TMWTGG almost sunk the franchise...; in the 80s the Bond films started to generally make less and less.

There were lawsuits and delays.

But here we are going into the 25th film and close to 60 years of cinematic history. I think Barbra and Co. are doing quite well.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    twitter.com 1

Bond 25 (Bond25Film)
    It's been confirmed by Heineken's Senior Director, Gianluca Di Tondo, that Craig was indeed filming a tie-in ad for them earlier this year in Spain. It's expected to air 1.5 months before #Bond25's release.

Link: https://t.co/TK4AdveRNT

(Photo: SKYFALL Heineken ad)
    05:14 - 3 sep. 2018 14 1

Thanks to mi6community.com
    There are significant business tie-ins here, like this and perhaps with Omega and Aston Martin (which will be IPOing shortly). This was mentioned in one of the media articles a few weeks back (I can't remember which one). So fortunately this all further incentivizes them to press on and meet that promised release date.
  • peter wrote: »

That you think all those films are bad says a lot.
    MooreFun wrote: »

That you think all those films are bad says a lot.

Add QOS to that and I wouldn't argue from my own personal opinion it would be 4/6 although I didn't like the Brosnan era but I'd be a fool to say it wasn't successful, I lived through it and to me SP is the only real misstep of the DC era but I acknowledge it didn't do too badly at the box office.

Cubby era is far from perfect and BB & MGW come in for a lot of unwarranted flak from people who really haven't got a clue how things work in the industry and just like to bitch in their mothers basements taking their frustrations out on their keyboard.

There are people out there who have tried to offer their professional opinion on what happens here but it falls on deaf ears. Why am I surprised though the same thing can be applied to much more pressing an important issues than the James Bond series.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No idea why EON hasn t found a new director yet. There are so many viable candidates on this board.
    No idea why EON hasn t found a new director yet. There are so many viable candidates on this board.
    Not sure about that, but there are definitely dozens of MI6Community members who would do a better job at producing Bond movies than Barbara Broccoli and MGW do.

I can't believe what I'm reading. I truly can't. This sounds more like a Nolan fan than a Bond fan.