No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I certainly hope that's not true. That would be the final nail in the coffin for sure.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Murdock wrote: »
    I certainly hope that's not true. That would be the final nail in the coffin for sure.

Literally.
  • Murdock wrote: »

Literally.

Or maybe not ... it says he would be killed, but they would leave the door open for a return.
    Murdock wrote: »

He can restart his heart in B26
    “It would also leave it open for a twist in the next instalment — either Bond hadn’t died or there could be a Doctor Who-esque regeneration with a new actor.

Bond regenerates into a new younger Bond?
    Moneypenny:
    "James, what happened to your face? You look different."

James Bond:
    "It's funny you should mention that, Moneypenny. I was in a fight with my arch enemy, Blofeld. We fell off a mountain in the Himalayas. I was badly injured but a Tibetan monk saved me. Turned out this monk had been studying advanced plastic surgery techniques in Beverly Hills, California. He offered to fix me up."

Moneypenny:
    "It's been a great success. You look just like Idris Elba!"

200.webp

barryt007 wrote: »
    The Sun say they have a leaked source,I know it’s The Sun but they are not always wrong:

Danny Boyle quit James Bond franchise after he ‘REFUSED to kill off Daniel Craig’s 007 in spectacular finale to 25th film’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7102013/danny-boyle-quit-james-bond-franchise-in-a-row-over-offing-the-super-spy-in-dramatic-finale-to-the-25th-film/

Sounds terrific to me.

Maybe a little like Fleming's YOLT and FRWL. Where Bond 'dies' on a mission but it's left ambiguous enough for him to return.

On numerous occasions, Fleming grew frustrated with the character and tries to have a cliffhanger-esque ending akin to Arthur Conan Doyle.

It's certainly something Eon haven't done before.
    Do you think EON are hesitant for ideas like killing off Bond, because Brotherfeld-gate was such a disaster?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Not on this forum.. but someone is claiming Bond dying in Bond 25 would lead to Eon selling their stake in the franchise. It's some big exit plan. Hmm...
    I don’t believe it. I don’t want to believe it, and I can’t seriously believe they would want to kill off Bond. Even if they went for an ambiguous-style ending, it would be very cheap most likely.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If The Sun isn t just making it up, as they often do, it s a pretty big spoiler.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    What I find particularly interesting is the recent media remarks that the original P&W script was provisionally entitled 'Shatterhand' along with this recent speculation of Bond being killed off in Boyle's version (could this be the big 'idea' or 'hook'?).

If you'll recall, these rumours were around some time back too. So either they are regurgitating or there is potentially some truth to it.

The thing is that the leaks of both of these approaches in combination with the persistent rumour that Babs wants to cash out after B25 makes all of it rather anticlimactic. The cats out of the bag, as it were.

So I sincerely hope none of this is true, even though I'll admit I find there to be a certain perverted plausibility in it all.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It seems and not all with a problem with DC are doing it because they want him out although he does seem to be getting the majority of the vitirol here while Boyle is being seen as the under dog and the one who has been wronged.

To be honest I think you can attribute the spitting out of their dummy and temper tantruns as much to Boyle as you can Craig.

Although their is a faction out there who really have never been that on board with Craig and just want him out of the role and are using this has a stick which to beat him with.

Fair enough but if he walks expect more than a 5 year wait, if they recast they'll be restarting the Bond world again as I can't see another actor stepping into this timeline and carrying on where he left off, this is clearly going to be a new beginning.

Also if the Sun is to be believed about the idea of killing off DC's Bond and as someone abhors that publication and wouldn't wipe my backside with it. Then if that is to be believed then this is the intention to cap off his era and start again.

If that is the attention get ready for an even longer wait whether it's EON doing it or Nolan or whoever would take it if Babs & MGW are going to throw the towel sooner rather than later as turning round something like that is going to take a lot of preparation.

Be careful what you wish for you might just get it.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,964
    I think they have wanted there own OHMSS for a while, ever since they put that theme in the SP trailer. That's what SP was supposed to be, I think, and it's only after the mixed reaction that they feel they need another go at it. This might be why they are so desperate to keep hold of Craig, because it's not just him going out on a high, but everyone involved.

It would also help explain the one picture deal.
    If Boyle s big idea was to kill Bond, why would he walk out in protest of his own idea?
    Apparently it's EON's idea to kill off Bond, not Boyle's.
    If Boyle s big idea was to kill Bond, why would he walk out in protest of his own idea?

Boyle might have left over arguments and stress and not the plot. The truth might be he couldn't bear working with B, MG and Craig? If he's a Bond fan, if they liked the script, why would he walk? Any differences over the plot - "the big idea" - it's still just a film. They could be sorted out. Eon is a professional company, Boyle is a respected, professional director. It's hard to imagine plot issues resulting in Boyle leaving. Perhaps it's more about personalities - Boyle unable to deal with Eon or vice versa. Just a guess.

Exactly.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The latest twist in the mill is that this was EON's idea in order to walk away cleanly, leaving the door open for a (hard?) reboot under new leadership (Universal?) in the future.

Also, with regards to directors - the last time they were futzing about with this they didn't have a distributor. Now they have a big gun in Universal at the table. I'm sure they've put forward some suggestions and have some clout to get other names involved.

Interestingly, Boyle's name broke in February when it was announced he was working on that musical for Universal. At that point I speculated that they may get the job, because they were distributing his musical and the two were being worked on very close together. So perhaps they were instrumental in this deal being arranged.

Furthermore, didn't Boyle just get this Armistice thing too? Perhaps him leaving really has to do with that. Royal decree and all that. Priorities. He is a patriot after all.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If this killing Bond off is true it wouldn't surprise me. There was speculation of Bond 25 aping Logan, EoN are tired, out of creative ideas and canyvseem to get these films out in good time on a consistent basis and with rumours of EoN looking to potentially sell, why not kill off Bond, what comes after wouldn't be their problem.

In any case this is all rather disappointing news. I don't want Bond killed off first and foremost and secondly it's disheartening production is in the state it's in. It's all rather exhausting to be honest. Now is the time for Bond to ushering a slew of films showcasing breathtaking new adventures. EoN just need to level up and evolve their creative process.
  • RC7RC7
    I think they have wanted there own OHMSS for a while, ever since they put that theme in the SP trailer. That's what SP was supposed to be, I think, and it's only after the mixed reaction that they feel they need another go at it. This might be why they are so desperate to keep hold of Craig, because it's not just him going out on a high, but everyone involved.

It would also help explain the one picture deal.

The editor put the OHMSS instrumental on the trailer as a guide track and it stuck.
    bondjames wrote: »
    What I find particularly interesting is the recent media remarks that the original P&W script was provisionally entitled 'Shatterhand' along with this recent speculation of Bond being killed off in Boyle's version (could this be the big 'idea' or 'hook'?).

If you'll recall, these rumours were around some time back too. So either they are regurgitating or there is potentially some truth to it.

The thing is that the leaks of both of these approaches in combination with the persistent rumour that Babs wants to cash out after B25 makes all of it rather anticlimactic. The cats out of the bag, as it were.

So I sincerely hope none of this is true, even though I'll admit I find there to be a certain perverted plausibility in it all.

The ‘Shatterhand’ link is fan speculation turned rumour, as is most of the ‘detail’ the press use to add a veneer of credibility. Not to say they hadn’t eyed that angle, but I wouldn’t take that too seriously.
    I really am starting to feel like EON actually sell, and handover to Christopher Nolan after Bond 25 (or sooner if Craig backs out). MGW probably won't have any hand in Bond 26 anyway, given his age, and it appears Barbara does not want to move into a new direction with Bond. Each of the Craig films have tried new ways of packing an emotional punch, and it has proven successful for EON. It they are preparing for one last adventure what could be more memorable and a bigger emotional punch than telling the story of Bond's death? That is kinda a unique selling point, and drills home the finality that EON probably wish to leave on.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    doubleoego wrote: »
    If this killing Bond off is true it wouldn't surprise me. There was speculation of Bond 25 aping Logan, EoN are tired, out of creative ideas and canyvseem to get these films out in good time on a consistent basis and with rumours of EoN looking to potentially sell, why not kill off Bond, what comes after wouldn't be their problem.

In any case this is all rather disappointing news. I don't want Bond killed off first and foremost and secondly it's disheartening production is in the state it's in. It's all rather exhausting to be honest. Now is the time for Bond to ushering a slew of films showcasing breathtaking new adventures. EoN just need to level up and evolve their creative process.
    doubleoego wrote: »

1. As a James Bond fan I would not pay for a ticket to watch may hero get killed.
    2. As a company behind James Bond I would not let the hero get killed when the last 4 outings made all far more than 500 mio at the box office.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2018 Posts: 10,512
    I don’t put much stock in EON walking away (although perhaps that’s wishful thinking), this feels to me like a bid to round out Craig’s tenure with a true sense of finality. Then with B26 they’ll return with a new Bond and a new emphasis.

NB. It’s best to view Craig’s Bond as it’s own standalone block of films, outside the floating timeline of the rest. In that regard killing Bond isn’t killing Bond. It’s killing Craig-Bond. It would also go some way to repairing the mess they made with Blofeld, by essentially boxing the films off as their own very distinct series within the series.
    Furthermore, didn't Boyle just get this Armistice thing too? Perhaps him leaving really has to do with that. Royal decree and all that. Priorities. He is a patriot after all.
    It certainly has nothing to do with that as when Boyle was offically announced to direct Bond 25 in May, it was already known he would be involved in the Armistice Day celebrations. An article from January: https://www.itsnicethat.com/news/14-18-now-first-world-war-centenary-art-220118
    The latest twist in the mill is that this was EON's idea in order to walk away cleanly, leaving the door open for a (hard?) reboot under new leadership (Universal?) in the future.

The more you think about it... the more it makes sense. Eon kill off their Bond, they sell up. The new owners reboot the franchise, cast whoever they like, heck, even cast an American in the role (hope not).

This explains why Eon would want to keep Craig even though he was kinda 70:30 against returning. Bring Craig back so they can kill off his Bond - similar to Ford's desire to kill off Han Solo in The Force Awakens. Craig's Bond dies, it's the end of the Eon era.

If there's no natural heir to the Eon kingdom, I guess it makes sense for the Broccolis to sell up. Perhaps Bab's closest relatives don't want the pressure of making future Bond films.

If all these rumours are true - we have very interesting times ahead!

As I've mentioned before; why all this Nolan talk? He may have met with the producers, but so have many others. What is it that makes it so "written in stone" that EON will hand over everything to him for Bond 26?

I just can't understand the certainty many on this forum have in this. It might happen, but it's just as likely it won't.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

The more you think about it... the more it makes sense. Eon kill off their Bond, they sell up. The new owners reboot the franchise, cast whoever they like, heck, even cast an American in the role (hope not).

This explains why Eon would want to keep Craig even though he was kinda 70:30 against returning. Bring Craig back so they can kill off his Bond - similar to Ford's desire to kill off Han Solo in The Force Awakens. Craig's Bond dies, it's the end of the Eon era.

If there's no natural heir to the Eon kingdom, I guess it makes sense for the Broccolis to sell up. Perhaps Bab's closest relatives don't want the pressure of making future Bond films.

If all these rumours are true - we have very interesting times ahead!

Yes, that's why they got a one picture deal. It all fits
    As I've mentioned before; why all this Nolan talk? He may have met with the producers, but so have many others. What is it that makes it so "written in stone" that EON will hand over everything to him for Bond 26?

I just can't understand the certainty many on this forum have in this. It might happen, but it's just as likely it won't.

Nolan directing a Bond film is money in the bank, in fact probably one of the safest bets in Hollywood. If Bond ever goes out into the wilderness, you can bet Warner Bros will snap it up, because they are so tight Nolan. He could direct a trilogy, or direct one film to kick off the new series and get people hyped, and then produce the ones after. It would be a true mega franchise like The DARK KNIGHT films were. Nolan and Bond just seems destined at some point, and if EON are selling, I'm guessing sooner rather than later.
    Don t forget, they originally wanted to end QOS with Bond seemingly killed by Mr White.
    Don t forget, they originally wanted to end QOS with Bond seemingly killed by Mr White.

First I heard of this. Where did you hear that?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    If the big idea for Bond 25 was/is to kill off James Bond then I don't see it being a big problem. So long as the film ends with James Bond will return. ;)
    It would be a way to end the Craig era with a surprise twist for the general audience. And for Craig to be given an ground breaking (for Bond) exit.
    Then for Bond 26, a new actor assumes the role, with no baggage from the Craig films and starts afresh. I cant see EON wanting to let go of the series. Its a monumental money maker for them. Unless they've truly grown so tired of the circus, they feel it's time to say goodbye.
    My word, imagine the pandemonium and crisis that would lead fans into? Bears not thinking about. Especially if Disney or one of the other big studios got their hands on Bond.
    Lets just focus on Bond 25, one step at a time before we all panic.