No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Just provoking debate (don't take it too seriously) but the rumours are...

Craig didn't get on with Martin Campbell!
    Craig didn't get on with Sam Mendes!
    It looks like Craig didn't get on with Danny Boyle. Boyle must have thought "seven months with this guy? - no thanks, I'm off!"

LOL!

Perhaps the reason Bond 25 is in the mess it's in... is Craig? Perhaps he's a bit toxic:

You're only provoking debate if you say something that hasn't been repeated ad nauseam and still can't be shown as being anything other than hearsay.
    Screw bond 25 I feel this thread deserves its own film
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    An HBO production. Or a Netflix series. Or both.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    We don't need a new director- we need a new James Bond. All the new director is gonna do is watch SPECTRE and copy that style. This is why Danny 'Corbyn' Boyle was dumped. He wanted to make his own version of James Bond and Babs said "no, how dare you make your version of Bond. Who do you think you are, the director?"

"Er..actually I am, Barbara."

"Don't get smart with me, Danny. I am in charge!"

Rumour has it he was in tears as he left the Pinewood car park. Poor Danny Boyle. Years in therapy await. :P

The truth is we need a new James Bond actor. Why - because the new actor will have a different approach, a different sensibility. He won't be moping about Vesper or Dench's M, he won't worry about QUANTUM or SPECTRE or any other group with capital letters. No, the new Bond will be a fresh start and this will inspire the next director. Chris Nolan will be desperate to take on Bond 25 because it's a new start.

Barbara has to get over her infatuation with Daniel. With due respect to the guy, he said he'd only return for the money and Barbara Broccoli is content with this attitude? You should have a bit more respect, Babs. You don't need Craig and the fans don't need him. It's time to move on. You hired Boyle to give you a different Bond film and then you say no and reject his ideas. It's clear you're stuck in a creative rut and that is due to your inability to know what to do with Craig's Bond. SPECTRE was the perfect ending to Craig's run but you're forcing the issue, trying to restart the ending with Bond 25 and look where it's got you...

IN A RIGHT MESS!

Delay Bond 25 for a year, pay off Craig, find a younger guy, perhaps one with a some playful flair and a reasonably handsome face, and off you go again. Bond 25 - a fresh start. If you stick with Craig you're just going nowhere. Daniel Craig was a decent Bond but his time ended in SPECTRE. Blofeld captured, SPECTRE defeated, C killed, Bond and Swann driving off to pay the London congestion charge... er I mean drive off into the metaphorical sunset. THE END.

All you've done is force the ending and it's left you without a director. Time for a change. Time for a new Bond. James Bond.
    Hilarious @fanbond123. These two are pretty tight so the chances are slim.

RmZkubL.jpg

If B25 gets delayed, then anything is possible of course, because they may retool more significantly. Much as I'd like to see a new man in the seat, I'd still rather that they get this film over and done with using Craig in 2019, and then move forward with a cleansing after that. I haven't had a decent new Bond fix since 2012!
    CRAIG IS NOT GETTING PAID OFF LOL. Craig will be James Bond in Bond 25
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Seriously though, where did all the Craig hate come from all of the sudden?

I’d gladly go back in time to 2006 when Craig was just starting his run, simply to experience his Bond era all over again. He’s the reason for renewing my interest in Bond.

Hence the reason why I’m in full-blown panic mode over these recent developments. I’m CONCERNED we could be losing our leading man if a solution doesn’t arise. I’m not wishing him away like some people on this forum.
  • How is Edgar Wright a competitive candidate for a Bond movie specifically for Daniel Craig's legacy?

Seeing his old films, what are his qualifying factors aside from having worked on Tin Tin with DC as a writer and also directing some lower budget movies that made decent sums of cash?

I'm not saying Marc Forster should return only because I like QoS and that the film has grown on many people over the years, but because he apparently has many qualifying factors including having written a script during a writer's strike with DC, being the actor's personal favorite director, and having a lot of enthusiasm to return to the series while defending his work produce throughout time.

Lastly, Forster and his team have proven they can create a post-modern look at modernism within a film that uses the environments to display the main character's internal feelings often.

How would Edgar Wright make for a better candidate?
  • kg54mvpkg54mvp USA
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Seriously though, where did all the Craig hate come from all of the sudden?

I’d gladly go back in time to 2006 when Craig was just starting his run, simply to experience his Bond era all over again. He’s the reason for renewing my interest in Bond.

Hence the reason why I’m in full-blown panic mode over these recent developments. I’m CONCERNED we could be losing our leading man if a solution doesn’t arise. I’m not wishing him away like some people on this forum.

100 percent agreed. Craig got many of us into this amazing character, and I think many of us need to see a finale that kicks butt!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 10,586
    It amuses me that many on here blame Craig for this mess by falling for tabloid nonsense, when in reality the blame can just as easily fall on Boyle for convincing himself and the entire production that he was willing to be collaborative and make sacrifices. The man had the potential to make an exciting and bold Bond film, but decided that abandoning a highly-anticipated film 3 months before it was set to start filming was a better idea. If you honestly believe his exit was entirely the result of a spat between Craig for vetoing Tomasz Kot as the villain than you're kidding yourselves. I like Boyle's body of work a lot but he totally played Broccoli, Wilson, Craig, and the entire crew for thinking that he was able to accommodate the visions of others in addition to his own. To abandon a film this far into production without warning is completely ludicrous. Now, the film is without a director or a script and we'll be lucky if by some miracle we get something on the level of quality of CR. What a complete waste of time.
    Craig is the Bond I grew up with, and so his era means a lot to me personally. I remember being absolutely blown away the first time I ever saw CR; it immediately became both my favorite Bond film (I had seen most of the other ones at that point) and one of my favorite movies ever. I loved what Craig did for Bond - it was exciting, thrilling, and lethal as ever. QOS was my first one at the theater, and of course I also went to see SF and SP at the theater. Of course SP was a bit disappointing for me, but it only slightly dampered my excitement of Craig’s run.

I know I’m rambling, but the point I’m trying to make is that I love Craig’s Bond, and really wanted him to get one more shot after SP. I don’t expect it to be CR-quality, or maybe even QOS or SF level, but I’d love to see Craig go out on a pretty good film - something with more energy and fun than SP brought. I hope he won’t be discouraged and leave early. I will miss him and his era a lot.
    Also stepping out from the silent majority to say that Craig is still the only one I want as Bond next year or, if need be, the year after. This hate, such as it is, is nothing more than frustrated boredom directed apparently at Craig but more really at (a) 3 years of no real news to get excited about on top of (b) 12 years of the same lead actor's tenure. Regardless of exactly how B25 turns out, there shouldn't be much hate going around on opening night.
  • Craig is Bond. He hasn't worn out his welcome in any way, IMO. Yes, something went wrong with Spectre.. I think Dan knew it, Sam Mendes knew it. They did the best they could with the script... It was obviously a tough shoot that went over budget. It sucks that B25 isn't going smoothly.. Far from it. But still have fingers crossed we get a director on board in the next few weeks!! Definitely hoping for his Bond to go out on a high note, how Craig wants it to be.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    All I know is, if Craig bails because of this discrepancy in production, I will seriously be one extremely disappointed Bond fan. It would take a lot to peak my interest in the franchise once more.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I dont mind the DB5 in SF because at least it has a purpose,a reason for being there,in that it gets Bond to Skyfall,blasts loads of mercenaries to oblivion,and gets blown to crap by Silva because he knows how much it means to Bond.

I nearly fell out of my seat laughing at that moment. The dramatic music and look of concern on Bond's face because of the death of his car (!!) is beyond ludicrous. Another reason why I can't stand SF.

Er,it was meant to be a tongue in cheek moment old chap.

That was my take on it as well. It's a funny moment that obviously went over some peoples heads.
    peter wrote: »
    After all, these guys and gals ain’t A-list Oscar winning directors who can just skate-off and be okay. These are the workers who make the magic happen behind the scenes; the faceless and anonymous creatives.

What what about the not so faceless and anonymous creatives,such as Mark Tildesley, and the cinematographer, who surely was hired already and very likely is Anthony Dod Mantle?
    We don't need a new director- we need a new James Bond.
    We need new producers!!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,975
    We don't need a new director- we need a new James Bond. All the new director is gonna do is watch SPECTRE and copy that style. This is why Danny 'Corbyn' Boyle was dumped. He wanted to make his own version of James Bond and Babs said "no, how dare you make your version of Bond. Who do you think you are, the director?"

"Er..actually I am, Barbara."

"Don't get smart with me, Danny. I am in charge!"

Rumour has it he was in tears as he left the Pinewood car park. Poor Danny Boyle. Years in therapy await. :P

The truth is we need a new James Bond actor. Why - because the new actor will have a different approach, a different sensibility. He won't be moping about Vesper or Dench's M, he won't worry about QUANTUM or SPECTRE or any other group with capital letters. No, the new Bond will be a fresh start and this will inspire the next director. Chris Nolan will be desperate to take on Bond 25 because it's a new start.

Barbara has to get over her infatuation with Daniel. With due respect to the guy, he said he'd only return for the money and Barbara Broccoli is content with this attitude? You should have a bit more respect, Babs. You don't need Craig and the fans don't need him. It's time to move on. You hired Boyle to give you a different Bond film and then you say no and reject his ideas. It's clear you're stuck in a creative rut and that is due to your inability to know what to do with Craig's Bond. SPECTRE was the perfect ending to Craig's run but you're forcing the issue, trying to restart the ending with Bond 25 and look where it's got you...

IN A RIGHT MESS!

Delay Bond 25 for a year, pay off Craig, find a younger guy, perhaps one with a some playful flair and a reasonably handsome face, and off you go again. Bond 25 - a fresh start. If you stick with Craig you're just going nowhere. Daniel Craig was a decent Bond but his time ended in SPECTRE. Blofeld captured, SPECTRE defeated, C killed, Bond and Swann driving off to pay the London congestion charge... er I mean drive off into the metaphorical sunset. THE END.

All you've done is force the ending and it's left you without a director. Time for a change. Time for a new Bond. James Bond.

This is one of the best, most accurate and truthful posts I have seen in a very long time. Bond is bigger than the actor playing him, and it does seem like we have lost sight of that. As a community we seem to have drank the cool aid, and now think perhaps that without Craig there can be no successful Bond, that the franchise has peaked or something. It's odd that people describe wanting a fresh start as "Craig hate". As far as I am concerned this is a perfect natural juncture at which to expect a switch-up. Craig is literally the Bond with the longest tenure now, right? All those other guys can long hung up the tux before things got this far, so why is it "hating on" Craig to be expecting him to do the same, especially if there is a 5 year break, which would be the perfect opportunity for a new Bond?
    peter wrote: »
    After all, these guys and gals ain’t A-list Oscar winning directors who can just skate-off and be okay. These are the workers who make the magic happen behind the scenes; the faceless and anonymous creatives.

What what about the not so faceless and anonymous creatives,such as Mark Tildesley, and the cinematographer, who surely was hired already and very likely is Anthony Dod Mantle?
    We need new producers!!

No. We really don’t
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    We need new producers!!

Well I can't see that happening anytime soon. I must say there's a lot of negativity and hostility from a select group of members regarding EON, Craig, the writers and directors based on nothing but heresay and speculation.
    It's an off putting trend that has become sadly all too familiar not only the forum, but all walks of life.
    Benny wrote: »
    We need new producers!!

Well I can't see that happening anytime soon. I must say there's a lot of negativity and hostility from a select group of members regarding EON, Craig, the writers and directors based on nothing but heresay and speculation.
    It's an off putting trend that has become sadly all too familiar not only the forum, but all walks of life.
    Based on nothing but heresay and speculation? Are you serious? Read the Sony leaks!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Based on nothing but heresay and speculation? Are you serious? Read the Sony leaks!

Stop being so passive aggressive. It's quite irritating.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Murdock wrote: »

Stop being so passive aggressive. It's quite irritating.

In defense of Panchito, I'd rather he talk about that then Nolan directing Bond 26.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,975
    So where are we now? I just read the first page to catch up, and it says the Hodge script is presumably thrown out, since they are looking for a new writer director to step in, and that short list is down to three names, two of which were being considered before Boyle came on board, and the other being Edgar Wright?

So when will a new director be announced, and are they still on track for 2019?

I can't see Edgar Wright directing Bond 25. If Boyle got spooked, the chances of Wright coming on are slim to none. Given that the other two were passed up before in favour of Boyle, it seems they are really in a panic to get this film out, and can't be too picky about who they hire. The only question is will Craig be happy with the choice, and will there be a short enough delay that he is still interested in returning.

Only 425 days left until the premier as of now!
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Screw bond 25 I feel this thread deserves its own film
    Not this thread, that would be too much of a Muppet Show. But if they have someone preparing a documentary of the Craig era, that would be the thriller drama of the century.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2018 Posts: 11,139
    RC7 wrote: »
    If SF is as shite as people make out, we’ve become a very odious group of fans. We can single out the instances of wankery until the cows come home, I have indulged in that myself, but it’s a very worthy chapter in the series with an incredible level of craft.

It's a good movie but it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread like people make it out to be.

Agreed. Some people act like it's a revolutionary landmark film. It's not. It's not a terrible film but more a decent movie at best that gets more praise than it deserves because so many people were butt hurt over QoS 4 years prior and people will deny this but the contributing factors of the 50th anniversary and the Olympics did help in overhyping and overpraising the film.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I hate to admit it but fallout makes the last two Mendes films look really weak mainly in regards to action. Craig is going to have to train hard one last time to deliver some of his own stunts for the next one or it will be looked on as subpar imo.

Ahreed. Fallout makes the lastv2 Bond films look weak AF. At least Forster with QoS made an effort to do something really interesting irrespective of the success of the execution. The opening car chase should have been edited so much better but as it is its still fantastic and one of my favourite action set pieces of the entire Bond series. The fight with slate continues the visceral brutality reintroduced in CR and although the boat chase and aerial dog fight/parachute jump could have been better it's more interesting than the offensively pedestrian "action" Mendes gave us. I'll give Mendes credit for the SF pts but everything else in SF and SP was ass.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2018 Posts: 11,139
    Edit
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    the Hodge script is presumably thrown out, since they are looking for a new writer director to step in,
    If they want to keep the release date, they can't throw out the Hodge script. The pre-production work in the last few months was all done for the Hodge script. They are very likely looking for a writer to polish/rewrite the script by Hodge, not to write a completely new one.
    Regarding this "Craig hate", I think we can be a little careful throwing that term around. I'd hate for this forum to brand everyone that feels a recasting could be an opportunity at this point, as "Craig haters".

For me, I thought Craig ending his era with SP felt natural; both going in to the theatre, and definitely leaving the theatre. This is not because of my opinion of SP – a film I'm unlikely to ever fully enjoy, but because the film made an effort (as half-arsed at it was), to tie things from Craig's previous films together. That felt like a natural ending of an era to me, with Bond driving his DB5 off "into the unknown", with his girl by his side.

That's not to say I can't enjoy a final film with Craig in 2019 (hopefully!).
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Gosh I seemed to have stirred the pot with my comments about Mendes. Let me elaborate. IMO, the two Mendes movies have a darker mood, they aremore adult movies than many Bond films, I don't include Casino Royale which is a strong Bond movie by any standards. Two strong pre-credit sequences, An excellent Moneypenny, an excellent Q, A Bond who is vulnerable, who isn't superman. A Bond for the modern age. If only Mendes was available for Bond 25...... In addition both were big box office earners for the franchise.

Excellent Moneypenny and excellent Q is very debatable.
    The Sun say they have a leaked source,I know it’s The Sun but they are not always wrong:

Danny Boyle quit James Bond franchise after he ‘REFUSED to kill off Daniel Craig’s 007 in spectacular finale to 25th film’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7102013/danny-boyle-quit-james-bond-franchise-in-a-row-over-offing-the-super-spy-in-dramatic-finale-to-the-25th-film/
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Danny Boyle quit James Bond franchise after he ‘REFUSED to kill off Daniel Craig’s 007 in spectacular finale to 25th film’
    It would be a funny twist if it turned out EON's idea was too radical for Boyle and not the other way around! :))