Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited July 2018 Posts: 17,294
    mcq.jpg

Bit of a guilty pleasure, this one. I approve of any film featuring an ageing bad ass, even if it is a 67 year old John Wayne (who I don't particularly care for normally), hauling ass across Seattle in sweet looking Pontiac Trans-Am. The car chase is underrated too. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 chases, but definitely an honourable mention.

Thinking about checking out this one, as it's available quite cheap on iTunes. Worth the purchase?

Brannigan (1975) is also available on iTunes, I see. Another 70's John Wayne film.

Worth a watch if you haven't seen it. There's no getting away from the fact it's a cash in on Dirty Harry, with a little French Connection thrown in for good measure, and not a patch on either.

Looking at that cheesy trailer on Youtube, McQ certainly looks like a Dirty Harry/French Connection cash in, but at the same time a little interesting - especially that car chase!

_________
    Continued with the Kommissar X series last night, and the fourth film, Death Trip (1967). This one follows private detective Joe Walker (Kommissar X) and New York City Police Lieutenant Tom Rowland in a plot involving the delivery of a shipment of LSD to be used by American armed forces stationed in Turkey. When the shipment is stolen by the criminal organisation known as "the Green Hounds", the pair must try to recover it.

The plot is - as with the other previous entries, quite bad. As is everything else, really. Where the other films have more to make up for a lack of plot, this one comes out quite boring, and never really manages to entertain in the same way. Should probably do a ranking now, so here it goes:
    So Darling So Deadly (1966)
    Kiss Kiss, Kill Kill (1965)
    Death is Nimble, Death is Quick (1966)
    Death Trip (1967)

Will probably just watch the rest of the series now as I've come this far - if available in English on Youtube. Next up is Kill, Panther, Kill (1968). Got to love these titles!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero
    You're right about Part IV. I love it. Crispin single-handedly killed rock-'n-roll with that awesome dance he performed. Corey is fascinating. But lots and lots of T&A... that always gets the job done, no? :)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Just finished A Quiet Place.
    It was very well made and suspenseful. But it's one of those movies you never watch again. I kind of wish I didn't buy it because now it'll sit there forever! Maybe wait for Netflix or something if you still haven't seen it.

It was hyped big time

I agree. I enjoyed it but would never revisit it. That's why I rented it from the Redbox. Only cost 53 cents
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Benny wrote: »
    The Foreigner (2017)

Sorry to say this Jackie Chan / Pierce Brosnan film left me disappointed. I thought an action film with these stars and directed by none other than Martin Campbell would be a better film.
    It was far from terrible, but it lacked story that would've made it better. We never really know how Jackie Chans character manages to do the things he does, other than a little bit of back story.
    The action was decent, though the usual Chan style and nothing new.
    I did wonder why Jackie walked around like he'd soiled himself. Was this a character trait to show, you need to be mindful of the old Asian man.
    The other thing I found unusual was Pierce Brosnan's accent!
    Despite being Irish himself, Pierce sounded like an American, trying to do an Irish accent. It was weird. Though neither Chan or Brosnan were terrible.
    Based on this, I don't think I'd want too see a future Campbell Bond film. It's unlikely now anyway, but I don't think he's got that spark in him he once did.
    Watchable but forgettable.
    While I don't think I'd say Campbell lost his spark, he didn't exactly flesh out the excitement and extravaganza he managed to do with his other films.

Other than that point, you summed up my stance on the film precisely to hit the nail on the head.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Agreed. The Foreigner was highly forgettable, IMO.
    Martin Campbell has lost his spark.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mcq.jpg

Bit of a guilty pleasure, this one. I approve of any film featuring an ageing bad ass, even if it is a 67 year old John Wayne (who I don't particularly care for normally), hauling ass across Seattle in sweet looking Pontiac Trans-Am. The car chase is underrated too. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 chases, but definitely an honourable mention.

Thinking about checking out this one, as it's available quite cheap on iTunes. Worth the purchase?

Brannigan (1975) is also available on iTunes, I see. Another 70's John Wayne film.

Worth a watch if you haven't seen it. There's no getting away from the fact it's a cash in on Dirty Harry, with a little French Connection thrown in for good measure, and not a patch on either.

Looking at that cheesy trailer on Youtube, McQ certainly looks like a Dirty Harry/French Connection cash in, but at the same time a little interesting - especially that car chase!

McQ has a pretty decent score by Elmer Bernstein as well.

• edited July 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Just finished A Quiet Place.
    It was very well made and suspenseful. But it's one of those movies you never watch again. I kind of wish I didn't buy it because now it'll sit there forever! Maybe wait for Netflix or something if you still haven't seen it.

It was hyped big time

I agree. I enjoyed it but would never revisit it. That's why I rented it from the Redbox. Only cost 53 cents

Smart- I should Redbox more often. I was just so damned intent on hopping on the Steelbook!
    It seems every now and then a movie will come out in Steelbook, sell out immediately, and go for $100 or more on ebay!

I'm still sore about missing Ash vs Evil Dead, lol

cmLgJdG.jpg
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I thought The Foreigner was really good. Highly engrossing and suspenseful.
    mcq.jpg

McQ has a pretty decent score by Elmer Bernstein as well.

Now that sounds like a score I can enjoy! Hope the film delivers too!

Finished the fifth Kommissar X film, Kill Panther Kill (1968)). This film takes the two leads, private detective Joe Walker (Kommissar X) and Los Angeles Lieutenant Tom Rowland (as opposed to New York Lieutenant in the previous films) to Calgary, in a case where both are trying to recover a stash of stolen jewels. Rowland is after the criminal who has escaped in a prison transfer breakout so he can meet up with his brother to reclaim the jewels from the heist in which they were stolen. Walker on the other hand has been hired by an insurance company to recover the jewels.

Kill Panther Kill (and to some extent the previous one, Death Trip) moves away from the eurospy-ish elements from the first films to a more straightforward crime film - a shift in style that makes it a more mundane affair. As with all the other films, this one is also rather silly and unintentionally funny in certain situations. Some rather Trinity-like fistfights are the highlights in this one!

Ranking:
    So Darling So Deadly (1966)
    Kiss Kiss, Kill Kill (1965)
    Death is Nimble, Death is Quick (1966)
    Kill Panther Kill (1968)
    Death Trip (1967)
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Speaking of John Wayne, I’m currently watching The Shootist, on Amazon Prime. This is his very last movie!
    It’s also another one, like McQ, that I started as a teen and never finished- but I’m really enjoying it now! I’m wondering how it will end! (I can’t think of a movie where The Duke dies...though I haven’t seen them all either)
    I've actually only watched three John Wayne films in total! Two early films of his which I can't remember much about at all (or the titles for that matter), and Circus World (1964) with Claudia Cardinale and Rita Hayworth among the cast.
    You can’t go wrong with Rio Bravo or The Searchers. Two classic Wayne movies for beginners ;)
    Red River is another Wayne classic.
    You can’t go wrong with Rio Bravo or The Searchers. Two classic Wayne movies for beginners ;)
    Revelator wrote: »
    Red River is another Wayne classic.

I've written those films down for the next time I'm in the mood for westerns! Thanks!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SICARIO: DAY OF THE SOLDADO
    As disturbing and well made as the first, although not quite up there for me. But close enough. It stands on its own, and I have to mention the score, it really adds to the tension in several scenes, so very effective.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    How It Ends. On Netflix.

Very grounded and straightforward. Good cast, Forest Whitaker is a favorite. I liked this a lot.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mattjoes wrote: »

I agree. It was a 'small' movie, tightly focused on character. Action was a bonus.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I agree. It was a 'small' movie, tightly focused on character. Action was a bonus.
    That's why films like those don't work for me.
  • I’m afraid I just didn’t find The Foreigner that engaging, either as a drama or an action film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I’m afraid I just didn’t find The Foreigner that engaging, either as a drama or an action film.

I like it because it does not fit easily into either category. ;)
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    JURRASIC PARK 2
    This movie had some problems but overall, it was super enjoyable. The most exciting of all the jurrasic films even perhaps.
    7/10
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Mean Streets-- one of Scorsese's earliest. This film shows what a visionary the director was. It also has an energetic performance from a very young Robert DeNiro. One can see how Mean Streets was like preparation for themes and visuals that Scorsese would return to seventeen years later in Goodfellas
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    peter wrote: »
    Mean Streets-- one of Scorsese's earliest. This film shows what a visionary the director was. It also has an energetic performance from a very young Robert DeNiro. One can see how Mean Streets was like preparation for themes and visuals that Scorsese would return to seventeen years later in Goodfellas

Mean Streets and Taxi Driver were both inspirations for Frank Miller when he did Batman: Year One.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I didn't know that @Thunderfinger ... but it makes a lot of sense. Scorsese perfectly captured that griminess and underlying violence of the streets...
    CRUISING
    By William Friedkin

cuising.jpg

I'm still not sure what to think, to be honest. I find it an incoherent though very fascinating film, I guess, but I'm not sure my fascination with it equates to anything positive otherwise. Pacino is neither bad nor great, but he's certainly interesting. Compulsively watchable, especially because it's a film of such ill repute. Hard leather and some male-on-male..., you better be prepared. The film has plot holes the size of THE ROOM. So I will sooner recommend it as a curiosity rather than as a film you will be entertained by.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @DarthDimi but didn't you find Al Pacino an exceptional dancer??

Serious question: the ending. What's your read into it?
    peter wrote: »
    @DarthDimi but didn't you find Al Pacino an exceptional dancer??

Serious question: the ending. What's your read into it?

@peter
    I think we can go two ways. Either Pacino's character was the killer all along, which I doubt, or he is developing a killer instinct himself. I'm not quite sure.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    chrisisall wrote: »

Count me in here. I don't know why anyone would think Campbell has lost his spark. The BnB scrap between Chan and the henchmen was great - somewhere between the dancing of Chan's old choreography and Campbell's more brutal style. A highlight amongst many good sequences.

I found the film overall very engaging, with Brosnan and Chan both putting in great performances. A very well-made political thriller. And the score by Cliff Martinez is exceptional - it lent so much to the atmosphere.

• peterpeter Toronto
    yes, my two thoughts exactly.
    He's lost his identity, for sure. The first and only time I saw it, my initial instinct was to ask myself if he was the killer all along, and; like you, barring that, he was becoming a killer. It's one of helluva messy film, that's for sure!