Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 2,988
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Ready Player One was fricking awesome and one of the best movies I've ever seen. I have nothing more I can say.
    Once you find you can say something more again, @BMW_with_missiles, can you tell me if I'd enjoy that film although I literally never ever played a computer game (beyond Tetris and FreeCell)? I mean, I never saw a Spielberg film I didn't like - but would I understand this one? It just seems like an alien universe to me.

@j_w_pepper I would say any Spielberg fan would enjoy Ready Player One. You don’t have to get any of the game references to enjoy the film’s engaging story. Everything is laid out very well in an easily understandable fashion, so it won’t feel alien for long. Its references aren’t just limited to games either, but pop-culture in general (especially 80’s pop-culture), so everyone will find a nod here and there that they understand. One of the best things about the references made in the movie is that they don’t spend too much time on any one, and I’m sure hours could be spent searching the background of each scene to find hidden Easter eggs. I wouldn’t describe this as “the video game movie”; it’s a Spielberg movie that takes place in a game and the real world, and it’s absolutely amazing.
    The Saint

What do I say about this under looked gem of the 90's Honestly it's fantastic and far better then some make it out to be Kilmer is cool and interesting Elizabeth Shue is GORGEOUS and the film over all is a strong one with great performances memorable action and while it might not be as deep as other films I have seen its still a great movie.

Films I have seen in 2018
    1. The A-team
    2. The Final Girls
    3. The Saint
    4. Taken
    5. Stand By Me
    6. Before Sunrise
    7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    8. Goonies
    9. Before Midnight
    10. Before Sunset

Before series
    1. Before Sunrise
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Before Sunset

Stephen King movies
    1. Stand By Me

Corey Feldman movies
    1. Stand by me
    2. Teenage mutant ninja turtles
    3. Goonies

Taken Series

1. Taken

Liam Neeson (sort of) retrospective series
    1. The A-team
    2. Taken
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
    Uzcwpz0.jpg

This is easily my favourite non-Bond Craig film (and that includes Munich). I'm a huge fan of the thriller suspense genre, and this is as good as it gets imho. I enjoyed all the original Swedish films when they came out (The Girl In The Spider's Web is my favourite) and so awaited this English entry with great anticipation after it was announced. It certainly lived up to expectations & in some ways exceeded them. I applaud Sony for taking risks and giving us something dark and unfamily friendly. In particular the graphic rape scene is very disturbing to watch. However, I don't think I can forgive them for chickening out after the film understandably didn't live up to *perhaps inflated* box office expectations, and not following through to complete the trilogy. It's particularly offensive after Rooney Mara gave such an incredible performance as lead Lisbeth Salander. Anyway, despite this monumental disgraceful cock-up, I continue to enjoy this one off entry whenever I view it.

The film has a lush, expensive character, and it's clear that a lot of care went into making it. There's a cold aesthetic here, mirroring the narrative and Swedish locale. David Fincher's direction is excellent, the cinematography by Jeff Cronenweth is outstanding, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's ambient score is suspenseful and moody, and the cast fires on all cylinders. In particular the always outstanding Christopher Plummer and Stellan Skarsgard excel, with the latter being quite frightening at times. Dutch actor Yorick van Wageningen is also a standout as the odious & repugnant Nils Bjurman. I'd love to see him in a Bond film soon. Craig is a joy to watch as well. He still has his casual style and cool in this film. At times I think he's a bit miscast here but he makes the most of it. I wish he at least had made an effort at an accent like the rest of the cast though.

The film foreshadows #MeToo in a way. Lisbeth overcomes her oppressor in a quite convincing manner and her character is quite a strong and independent woman. Perhaps my only negative with the film is that the denouement is a bit rushed, but I'm being picky now. Overall this is superb film making as far as I'm concerned.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Defender of Timothy Dalton, George Lazenby, Éric Serra & Bond '83!
    bondjames wrote: »
    Where Eagles Dare (1968)
    fabk2tW.jpg

I'm generally not a big fan of war films, but this Alistair Maclean penned and Brian Hutton directed entry caught my interest from the very first time I saw it as a kid. That's probably because it has elements of espionage. It also features great action and stunts, beautiful scenery, and some serious machismo from the likes of two legends: Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. There's also some decent (and quite effective) eye candy in the form of Mary Ure and Ingrid Pitt, and I recognize a lot of the supporting cast from older films as well. The plot appears clear at the outset: 7 Allied Commandos must infiltrate Nazi hideout Schloss Adler (Castle of the Eagles) set deep in the alps (and only accessible by cable car) in order to rescue and escape with a captured American general who may be instrumental in ending the war. Strange occurrences, deaths & twists occur from the very start of their mission however, which suggests all is not as it seems and treachery may be in their midst.

The cast is top notch as can be expected. Burton in particular really is the boss in this one, barking orders at every one with inherent authority and confidence while being no slouch himself. Eastwood is his usual lethal 'man of action rather than words' self. Derren Nesbitt is particularly good as a suspicious Gestapo officer. I can see how this film inspired action in many future Bond entries as well as that famous pub scene in Tarantino's Basterds. Great OTT fun.

Definitely one of my favourite films. Might as well be my favourite war film together with Das Boot and A Bridge Too Far.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's the greatest spy film ever made. Period.

Haha! We have something else in common!
    Love 'Where Eagles Dare' . Watch it a couple of times a year!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Haha! Good to see where not as estranged Bond fans as we appear for the most part.

Huge Alistair MacLean fan myself. This film was what got me into his work, and I’ve been holding it as a template for my inspirations ever since. I watch it at least twice a year myself!

Haha! Good to see where not as estranged Bond fans as we appear for the most part.

Huge Alistair MacLean fan myself. This film was what got me into his work, and I’ve been holding it as a template for my inspirations ever since. I watch it at least twice a year myself!

Have plenty of Alistair MacLean books lying around, but have never read any of them…
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Digitalia

Have plenty of Alistair MacLean books lying around, but have never read any of them…

His older books are great, the later not so much.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 15,053

His older books are great, the later not so much.

Most of them are of the «CAP-serien» books, so I guess they are the later ones.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Uzcwpz0.jpg

This is easily my favourite non-Bond Craig film (and that includes Munich). I'm a huge fan of the thriller suspense genre, and this is as good as it gets imho. I enjoyed all the original Swedish films when they came out (The Girl In The Spider's Web is my favourite) and so awaited this English entry with great anticipation after it was announced. It certainly lived up to expectations & in some ways exceeded them. I applaud Sony for taking risks and giving us something dark and unfamily friendly. In particular the graphic rape scene is very disturbing to watch. However, I don't think I can forgive them for chickening out after the film understandably didn't live up to *perhaps inflated* box office expectations, and not following through to complete the trilogy. It's particularly offensive after Rooney Mara gave such an incredible performance as lead Lisbeth Salander. Anyway, despite this monumental disgraceful cock-up, I continue to enjoy this one off entry whenever I view it.

The film has a lush, expensive character, and it's clear that a lot of care went into making it. There's a cold aesthetic here, mirroring the narrative and Swedish locale. David Fincher's direction is excellent, the cinematography by Jeff Cronenweth is outstanding, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's ambient score is suspenseful and moody, and the cast fires on all cylinders. In particular the always outstanding Christopher Plummer and Stellan Skarsgard excel, with the latter being quite frightening at times. Dutch actor Yorick van Wageningen is also a standout as the odious & repugnant Nils Bjurman. I'd love to see him in a Bond film soon. Craig is a joy to watch as well. He still has his casual style and cool in this film. At times I think he's a bit miscast here but he makes the most of it. I wish he at least had made an effort at an accent like the rest of the cast though.

The film foreshadows #MeToo in a way. Lisbeth overcomes her oppressor in a quite convincing manner and her character is quite a strong and independent woman. Perhaps my only negative with the film is that the denouement is a bit rushed, but I'm being picky now. Overall this is superb film making as far as I'm concerned.
    Absolutely love Fincher's TGWTDT. Underrated, if you ask me.
    Great to see the love for Where Eagles Dare and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo chaps. Both great films, and after my back to back viewing of both yesterday I felt like I'd spent a month in wintery and snowy lands!
    jake24 wrote: »
    Uzcwpz0.jpg

Absolutely love Fincher's TGWTDT. Underrated, if you ask me.

One of the few remakes as good as the original. I was dubious about Rooney Mara but she was terrific in it! And Craig was impressive too!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Hamburg, near the Atlantic Hotel
    Tonight: CHICAGO (2002). I've had the disk for some time but had never really an idea of what this movie was, except that it was a musical. And both my wife and I were truly blown away. What a perfect piece of musical moviemaking! It obviously shares a lot with CABARET (Kander, Ebb, Fosse...), but that's a good thing. We are really elated at this point that we decided to watch this wonderful film tonight.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 13,951
    The Mirror cracked 1980 major film stars in this Guy Hamilton directed film, this interpretation of Christie is way ahead of its time, though some old movie stars are lame, though I think thats intentional.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The Mirror cracked1980 major film stars in this Guy Hamilton directed film, this interpretation of Christie is way ahead of its time, though some old movie stars are lame, though I think thats intentional.
    I had no idea Guy Hamilton was the director. I first saw this on a flight to Asia as a kid. Elizabeth Taylor's stare in a pivotal scene frightened me. A young Brozz has a small scene in it cuddling Liz's bosom. I'm due a rewatch.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 13,951
    The Mirror cracked1980 major film stars in this Guy Hamilton directed film, this interpretation of Christie is way ahead of its time, though some old movie stars are lame, though I think thats intentional.
    I had no idea Guy Hamilton was the director. I first saw this on a flight to Asia as a kid. Elizabeth Taylor's stare in a pivotal scene frightened me. A young Brozz has a small scene in it cuddling Liz's bosom. I'm due a rewatch.

Bought several Christie films in the Amazon sale, Taylor as well as other actors are random, it's interesting watch despite being dated.

Edited: Crikey Brosbond just appeared, did not realise he was in this film.

Some scenes are garbage
    Body Double (1984)
    Brian De Palma directed this excellent film.
    Double bill yesterday : Iron Man, the first one, still as good as the first time I saw it in 2008, and Porco Rosso : Hayao Miyazaki can do no wrong in my mind.
    Great choices.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    001 wrote: »
    Body Double (1984)

One of his madder films! It got savaged when it was released but its a cool film, even if it is a half arsed mash up of Rear Window and Vertigo.

There's never been another director like De Palma!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Defender of Timothy Dalton, George Lazenby, Éric Serra & Bond '83!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,259
    001 wrote: »
    Body Double (1984)

One of his madder films! It got savaged when it was released but its a cool film, even if it is a half arsed mash up of Rear Window and Vertigo.

There's never been another director like De Palma!

Quite liked it actually. Also clearly inspired by Dario Argento and Mario Bava giallo thrillers. Excellent Pino Donaggio score as well.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    @ClarkDevlin Day of Anger (1967) dir. Tonino Valerii, has to be on your to watch list. Starring the brilliant Lee Van Cleef and Giuliano Gemma, this is a cracking SW. I have just recently ordered two-film set of the Ringo films starring Gemma…and am really interested in the new remastered box-set (something Arrow excels at) of the Sartana films. Don't think I've seen any of the Sartana films but your review has put me in the mood for them.
    Think my all-time favourite though is Leone's For a Few Dollars More - never tire of watching that one!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,942
    Tonght: NINOTCHKA (1939), a wonderful comedy directed by Ernst Lubitsch and co-written by Billy Wilder, starring the most breathtaking actress at least until Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn came around: Greta Garbo. Great fun.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Voice Without A Shadow (1958) dir Seijun Suzuki. 1st film in the Nikkastsu Diamond Guys set from Arrow Video. Widescreen mono noir-ish thriller mystery.
    Caligula (1979) dir (mostly) Tinto Brass. Full-on uncut version of controversial Roman epic. Not one to watch with your Grannie!
    Tonght: NINOTCHKA (1939), a wonderful comedy directed by Ernst Lubitsch and co-written by Billy Wilder, starring the most breathtaking actress at least until Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn came around: Greta Garbo. Great fun.
    Excellent film. Wilder knew how to write 'em.
    Strog wrote: »
    Yep, he sure did...though only tonight I noticed that Wilder basically recycled that trio of Soviet emissaries for his (equally brilliant) ONE-TWO-THREE. I don't blame him, though.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Caligula (1979) dir (mostly) Tinto Brass. Full-on uncut version of controversial Roman epic. Not one to watch with your Grannie!
    How is it uncut? I saw the R-rated cut in the theatre LOOOONG ago and actually mostly liked it... pretty violent...

Regarding Caligula I recall a version that had x rated porn scenes added
    Strog wrote: »
    Yep, he sure did...though only tonight I noticed that Wilder basically recycled that trio of Soviet emissaries for his (equally brilliant) ONE-TWO-THREE. I don't blame him, though.
    I had no idea! I'm going to bump ONE, TWO, THREE to the top of my yet-to-see Wilder list. I'll be interested to see how it holds against NINOTCHKA, and also too against the film he did immediately beforehand, THE APARTMENT, which is my favorite of his and also one of my all time.