Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,883
    It's funny- growing up I never really gave a crap about Thor. I never had his solo comics, and whenever there was a team up he was the bottom of the barrel. Spider-Man, Captain America, and especially The Punisher.... that's where it was at for me as a kid!

Then Chris Hemsworth comes along. Now Thor is one of my favorites! It's amazing what a great actor can do for a character!

(on that same note I never really cared for Iron Man either, before RDJ that is)
    It's so true. Same here. Spidey was my favourite Marvel character growing up. They really know how to bring their creations to life.

Ironically, The Bat was my fave (by far) when young, and DC seem to have done the opposite lately by robbing me of my enthusiasm with their latest iteration. That's why I'm looking forward to what Reeves has planned.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I don't really bother with the first two Thor films either,this one is just so different,talk about upping your game !
    And i still didn't realise that the Loki in the 'play' is Matt Damon in disguise !!

I will look out for that next time !
    There are a few more cameos in that play too, although Matt is the most famous.
    Matt was Loki, Sam Neill was Odin, and yet another Hemsworth brother was Thor!
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's funny- growing up I never really gave a crap about Thor. I never had his solo comics, and whenever there was a team up he was the bottom of the barrel. Spider-Man, Captain America, and especially The Punisher.... that's where it was at for me as a kid!

Then Chris Hemsworth comes along. Now Thor is one of my favorites! It's amazing what a great actor can do for a character!

(on that same note I never really cared for Iron Man either, before RDJ that is)
    It's so true. Same here. Spidey was my favourite Marvel character growing up. They really know how to bring their creations to life.

Ironically, The Bat was my fave (by far) when young, and DC seem to have done the opposite lately by robbing me of my enthusiasm with their latest iteration. That's why I'm looking forward to what Reeves has planned.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I don't really bother with the first two Thor films either,this one is just so different,talk about upping your game !
    And i still didn't realise that the Loki in the 'play' is Matt Damon in disguise !!

I will look out for that next time !
    There are a few more cameos in that play too, although Matt is the most famous.

I saw Luke Hemsworth and Sam Neil.

The Sting
    In Bruges
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Suicide Squad: when you keep re-introducing SOME characters over and over and over and re-introducing your plan over and over, for the first thirty minutes... you're in trouble. It's a shame since they had some neat character wasted in an unfinished script-- I mean it was really unfinished. Supposedly Warner Brothers only gave David Ayer 6 WEEKS TO HAND IN A FINISHED SCRIPT. If this is true-- and I hear it is-- that's madness!!! Basically, they set the filmmaker and the film up for failure. There's no development!!

Gold: a great performance from McConaughey and some amazing scenes, but the film started to falter and draggggg half-way through. Sputtered until the end.

I, Tonya: satire gold. A great cast. Great script. Great directing. Great story-telling...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,536
    @peter

I agree about Suicide Squad. Studio execs turned a certain hit into a barely acceptable commercial product. The extended cut they released on BR made things a little better for me. The problem with my "virgin viewing", which dictates 90 % of how I will approach the film during subsequent viewings, was a shameful non-event though. Apart from a couple of scenes which work well in a vacuum, the overall film rendered my enthusiasm barren and cold faster than you'd think. So... another big boss to fight at the end. So, we're now just strolling through a city. That's it. People are walking. And shooting up non-descript zombie bad guys. And only barely in a cool way.

Also, Jai Courtney. Captain Boomerang isn't my favourite DC character at all, but the abysmal acting this "actor" is paid for combined with the charisma he doesn't have combined with very poorly delivered lines, made me want to set the screen on fire.

I still, to this day, believe that MAN OF STEEL and BvS are 10 times better films than many will have you think, but I agree that this DC series was in a bit of a bad place when SS promised to turn the table. Margot Robbie as Harley? Made sense! Viola Davis as Waller? Good idea. Hell, even Will Smith made perfect sense in this film. And it looked so good in the trailer! Flashy, energetic, funny... Hell, I was even willing to jump aboard the Leto-Does-Street-Joker wagon. Clothing and make-up: spot on! That Oscar is more than well deserved. But where's the story? Where's the original, great and fresh story that would "show" Snyder how to do things properly? Nowhere! Much like the N52 SS title had turned into a grave disappointment after issue 8 or 9, this film turned into a maddening "ow, they're actually going THERE" fest after minute 8 or 9. Recruiting the gang is good fun, but suddenly the film forgot to actually USE the gang. The rest of the film is like a 90s video game, except that our Dirty Dozen is neither dirty nor interesting. Harley and Joker, at least in the theatrical cut, have too little to do. And the "climax" is a poor man's version of the big boss fight at the end of those 90s video games.

I honestly believe that the backbone of this film is loaded with promise. Someone like Ayer is a good choice to make it happen, to find the edge so to speak. Why else would you hire him? Then people got cold feet. The suits wanted a family-friendly version of the most family unfriendly rock'n'roll title in the popular sections of the DC vault. Breathing down his neck, forcing and imposing stupid decisions on him, they simply made the same mistakes--again--like so many suits have made before them. When has a film ever properly benefited from the involvement of the suits? Maybe once or twice, but most often not.

And the biggest joke of them all? They made the same mistake with JUSTICE LEAGUE.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @DarthDimi : hit nail on head-- thank you!!

P
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 40,464
    Bone Tomahawk

Another excellent slow-burning genre film from the underrated S. Craig Zahler - terrific cast (though I wish some had bigger roles to play), and it contains one of the most painful death scenes I think I've ever witnessed in movies. The movie takes its time, but the endeavor is worth it and the pacing didn't falter all that much in my opinion. Took me too long to get around to seeing this in its entirety.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited July 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Just finished watching The Long Goodbye (1973).

Despite the many differences from the novel, and the loss of the noirish feeling as well as the change of period setting, it was one hell of a film. Plus, watching Elliott Gould is always a delight. Also, a young Arnold Schwarzenegger has a minor role in it as a gangster thug.
    Totally agree,DD, that BvS doesn't get as much respect as it deserves,i like the film and own it on DVD and digital download @DarthDimi

Despite the many differences from the novel, and the loss of the noirish feeling as well as the change of period setting, it was one hell of a film. Plus, watching Elliott Gould is always a delight. Also, a young Arnold Schwarzenegger has a minor role in it as a gangster thug.

What rating will you give The Long Goodbye (out of 10)?
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,536
    Oh my...

I'm in the middle of watching NEED FOR SPEED because of a podcast review I'm about to listen to. I can definitely say I'm more loyal to the podcast than I am to this film.

I AM NOT HAVING ANY FUN!

Imogen Poots! What . The . Hell? I used to like her. 28 WEEKS LATER, V FOR VENDETTA, CENTURION and even FRIGHT NIGHT had her acting quite well. But did she forget to act here? Her 'cute' polished British accent feels incredibly belaboured here and, in fact, makes her sound like an American trying hard to squeeze out British butler speak. And she's from London! Her overacting is absolutely cringeworthy, even for this film. She feels like someone's grandmother trying to fit in with the cool guys. Her smirk equates to that of someone who combined painkillers with too much alcohol and her haircut is absolutely despicable. I can't believe people complained about Megan Fox in TRANSFORMERS but call Poots in NEED FOR SPEED "one of the few good things". Let me tell you--and this is probably a very damning comment--"Imogen, you are NO Megan Fox!" They could have replaced her with Jar Jar Binks and it would have stunk less. Debra Jo Rub could have played Imogen's part and salvaged this film.

I'm over 90 minutes in this film and my thoughts have already dropped from bad to horrendous. I wonder if this thing is going to sink even lower. I used to play the video games. They were already adapted into films called THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS. We did not need NEED FOR SPEED if this is the best they could do. The only acceptable performance here is coming from Keaton and he's barely in this thing. Even Cooper is consistently letting me down. Bland, blander, blandest. Aaron Paul is who you hire to defecate on Paul Walker's grave. Attempts at drama turn even more pathetic because no-one in this cast is capable of delivering even a mildly decent performance.

The action is good but nothing a video game cut scene cannot provide. I'm hating on this film; it's an insult. It's a criminal offence! And I can dig quite a few notorious bad films. I'm a Michael Bay fan; I love F&F; I can rationalize BATMAN & ROBIN. But this? I'm having a need for speed all right; the need to have this thing over with right now. I'd rather watch THE ROOM than this thing. "Oh, hi Mark!" is ten times better than anything Poots does in this film.

EDIT: Having now finished the film, I can safely say, it didn't get much better. The climactic race was fine, but then Poots throws in one of the final lines of the film and I have to empty my bowels.

Final verdict: 1/5
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2018 Posts: 15,690
    I love that Michael Keaton is always part of the biggest positives of any film he is in. Would you like him to play an older Bruce Wayne/Batman at one point in the future, @DarthDimi ?
    @DaltonCraig007

I don't think he's ever going to do that but I'd be up for it, sure.

Thought about writing a long review for later. But, out of ten, it's a solid 7/10.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bone Tomahawk

Another excellent slow-burning genre film from the underrated S. Craig Zahler - terrific cast (though I wish some had bigger roles to play), and it contains one of the most painful death scenes I think I've ever witnessed in movies. The movie takes its time, but the endeavor is worth it and the pacing didn't falter all that much in my opinion. Took me too long to get around to seeing this in its entirety.

I loved that movie. Brutal, original and beautiful. Well, ugly as well.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Oh my...

I'm in the middle of watching NEED FOR SPEED because of a podcast review I'm about to listen to. I can definitely say I'm more loyal to the podcast than I am to this film.

I AM NOT HAVING ANY FUN!

Imogen Poots! What . The . Hell? I used to like her. 28 WEEKS LATER, V FOR VENDETTA, CENTURION and even FRIGHT NIGHT had her acting quite well. But did she forget to act here? Her 'cute' polished British accent feels incredibly belaboured here and, in fact, makes her sound like an American trying hard to squeeze out British butler speak. And she's from London! Her overacting is absolutely cringeworthy, even for this film. She feels like someone's grandmother trying to fit in with the cool guys. Her smirk equates to that of someone who combined painkillers with too much alcohol and her haircut is absolutely despicable. I can't believe people complained about Megan Fox in TRANSFORMERS but call Poots in NEED FOR SPEED "one of the few good things". Let me tell you--and this is probably a very damning comment--"Imogen, you are NO Megan Fox!" They could have replaced her with Jar Jar Binks and it would have stunk less. Debra Jo Rub could have played Imogen's part and salvaged this film.

I'm over 90 minutes in this film and my thoughts have already dropped from bad to horrendous. I wonder if this thing is going to sink even lower. I used to play the video games. They were already adapted into films called THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS. We did not need NEED FOR SPEED if this is the best they could do. The only acceptable performance here is coming from Keaton and he's barely in this thing. Even Cooper is consistently letting me down. Bland, blander, blandest. Aaron Paul is who you hire to defecate on Paul Walker's grave. Attempts at drama turn even more pathetic because no-one in this cast is capable of delivering even a mildly decent performance.

The action is good but nothing a video game cut scene cannot provide. I'm hating on this film; it's an insult. It's a criminal offence! And I can dig quite a few notorious bad films. I'm a Michael Bay fan; I love F&F; I can rationalize BATMAN & ROBIN. But this? I'm having a need for speed all right; the need to have this thing over with right now. I'd rather watch THE ROOM than this thing. "Oh, hi Mark!" is ten times better than anything Poots does in this film.

EDIT: Having now finished the film, I can safely say, it didn't get much better. The climactic race was fine, but then Poots throws in one of the final lines of the film and I have to empty my bowels.

Final verdict: 1/5
    But would you recommend it as a laxative? I've been having some bowel problems.

I wouldn't make a NFS film like this anyway. I'd make it a classier affair, less 'street'.

If I made it at all.

Thought about writing a long review for later. But, out of ten, it's a solid 7/10.

Not bad! Looking forward to watching it myself eventually :-)
    @mattjoes

Yes, a perfectly fine laxative. :)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bone Tomahawk

Great low budget movie. Zahler’s intention was to shoot his own Wraiths of the Broken Land but found it would be too costly to make, so he wrote Bone Tomahawk which bares similarities but isn’t as violent and grandiose as Wraiths. Incidentally, Ridley Scott has the rights to Wraiths which is why I’d wish he’d push it to the top of his schedule. This book would make an excellent western.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited August 2018 Posts: 972
    Was watching Mission Impossible Rogue Nation prior to watching Fallout, and I spotted a familiar looking car parked in that scene before they met up with the British PM.... Only my second time watching this and I only noticed it now... Left there on purpose? Maybe Bond is in there somewhere.. Haha

43733696632_c2b7003a80_b.jpg
    Most likely, yes. I do remember a discussion of an existing DB-6 in M:I taking place a few years back.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Most likely, yes. I do remember a discussion of an existing DB-6 in M:I taking place a few years back.

Looks to be the same place filmed in Spectre too where the meeting was taking place.. Blenheim Palace.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    imranbecks wrote: »

Looks to be the same place filmed in Spectre too where the meeting was taking place.. Blenheim Palace.
    Yes, that's correct. It was used in SP and was most recently seen when US President Trump visited the UK (there was a dinner arranged by UK PM May at this location).

The car is indeed a DB6 (as opposed to Bond's DB5). Probably was intentional.
    71U8IH0hQ4L._SY445_.jpg

v1.bTsxMTIwOTM4NTtqOzE3ODU5OzEyMDA7MTI4NDsxNzEy
    The first is horrible, the second is great.
    Why is it's horrible in your opinion?
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Why is it's horrible in your opinion?

There is no originality, nothing that stands out as memorable. Just generic macho stuff.

Cobra is a terrific escapist actioner. I'll take that over any of the lousy Bourne stuff with miserable "heroes".
    I don t care for Bourne, either.