Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    @DarthDimi -- wrong thread, still astute observations/rant.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Hitchcock's personal favorite of his own films:

Shadow%2BOf%2BA%2BDoubt%2BPoster-002.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    We just watched Ready Player One. Fun. Lots of cool references... But in the end, I'm sorry, but as CGI- heavy movies go, I enjoyed The Matrix and Speed Racer a whole lot more. Glad I just rented it.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,813
    @chrisisall I blind-bought Ready Player One and found it 'okay'. They should have called it "Movie References: The MOVIE"
    However it was a pleasure to look at, and I'll definitely give it another go once I get that 4K player. I have a few of those piling up, but the PS4 doesn't recognize them.
    I particularly enjoyed The Shining segment. I had no idea that was part of the movie, and just by pure coincidence I watched that a couple days before Ready Player One, and they got every detail perfect!

(mild spoiler)
    I had to laugh at the big reveal of Art3mis in the real world. Ever since her avatar told Parzival that he'd be disappointed (I forget word for word what she said, but it was along those lines) I was wondering, is she a dude- is she 1000lbs- is she a brain in a jar?
    Nope. She has a small birthmark on her face that's slightly rosy colored compared to the rest of her skin. GAHHHH!!! Get out of my sight!! :))

Today I was at Target, and was pleasantly surprised to see a STEELBOOK of The Death of Superman (2018) on the shelves! For some reason I thought that wasn't out for a while yet. I grabbed it and watched it as soon as I got home.
    I really liked it!! It blew the former 'Superman: Doomsday' out of the water. And I was a little surprised at just how BLOODY it was (for a DC Cartoon I mean). The second Doomsday
    grabbed an Atlantean in each hand and crushed both of their heads into a bloody splat
    I was like 'okay, this movie is awesome’.
    The voicework is fantastic too- the only one I didn't like too much was Lex.... and I would never have guessed in a million years that was Rainn Wilson. His Lex was a spoiled child; I didn't really sense that this was an evil genius who was always 10 steps ahead (like an evil Batman) so much as he was just a dick.

But all in all, I LOVED it, and can't wait for Reign of the Supermen, which judging by the trailer will be even better.

There is one flaw I found with the movie, however. Kind of a big deal to me since it was in my face throughout. There's no two ways about it:

Superman's costume is DARK PURPLE.

That drove me insane, almost to the point of considering playing with the tint settings on my TV (but of course that would have messed everything else up)

But just look at this quick edit and see what I mean. His nickname is BIG BLUE, not Barney!

xg6ghOF.jpg

(I didn't like Wonder Woman's outfit much either, but she's not in it as much as Superman)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,327
    @Master_Dahark I watched The Death of Superman a few weeks back, agree it was surprisingly brutal. It's an initially slow burn though it gets the viewer invested in the film emotionally, my first watch I found it quite intense, it's certainly closer to the graphic novel than previous attempt.

Edited:
    Superman's killer blow to Doomsday was awesome, I was like whoa! One very minor complaint is Lois was very very close to the fights finale, though it works in that the danger she is in is tangible despite the shockwaves of the punches really should have killed her lol.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 40,469
    Revenge (2018)

Just got this French revenge (no pun intended) flick from Netflix - I was about ready to write it off, because it took way too long to properly get going and it was wildly illogical throughout, but the finale more than made up for the negative aspects.
    Hellraiser
    Hellbound : Hellraiser 2
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Hellraiser

Great choices there. You should follow that up with Hell on Earth, the one everyone seems to hate but me. It's my favorite installment in the series.
    Infinity War

Thought it was a bit naff to be honest.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Hellraiser

Great choices there. You should follow that up with Hell on Earth, the one everyone seems to hate but me. It's my favorite installment in the series.

@Creasy47

The compact disc attack is epic! :D I also like that pillar of souls and how it's featured in this film. The music is great but sadly the acting is overall cringeworthy except for Bradley's and the cinematography stinks of cheap 80s TV show quality.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Hellraiser

I like the first 4, yes, including Bloodlines. After that, it's gets ugly.
    @DarthDimi, yes! It is incredibly cheesy, but the build-up to that finale is always worth it for me. Those final 20 minutes always stuck out to me as a kid as being truly nightmarish, watching the unique Cenobites slowly walking down the street with the epic-in-scope music blaring.

@MajorDSmythe, same, I always toss in Bloodline during a marathon but that's where it tends to end for me.
    The later sequels have at least one film that I love to hate or hate to love or whatever, and that is HELLWORLD, "starring" Lance Henrikson and Henry Cavill. :D Deliciously stupid, that one is.

The recent one, JUDGMENT, did not disappoint me all that much, guys. Some awesome moments in it.
    WOW, I haven't seen Hellworld in so long, I had no clue Cavill was in it! Then you also have the now-famous Adam Scott in Bloodline too, donning that goofy wig.

I might have to finally see the new one off that recommendation, Dimi. I didn't have high hopes for it but I have to say, I didn't think the new actor they selected for Pinhead seemed all that bad.
    One has to approach Judgment with the proper expectations, @Creasy47. Compared to the first few Hellraisers, it's an endless facepalm. Compared to 5 --> 9, it actually qualifies as "refreshing". Don't expect greatness. When I say, "awesome moments", I'm talking about interesting concepts, in a David Lynch kind of way, a particular vision that you and I would never in our sober minds think of. It still isn't great horror though. As I said, all depends on your expectations and from there it can go both ways.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @Creasy47 - I appreciate the ambition that Bloodlines had, even if what we ended up with, was a watered down version of the original idea, which I don't think exists.

@DarthDimi - Hellworld, that's the one with the rave, isn't it? Yeah, I vaguely remember Cavill in that one. No slight against Cavill, I just haven't seen the films post Bloodlines much. I had heard that Judgement wasn't that bad. Not up with the first few, but not a shower of sh... sherbet like its predecessor.
    Fearless vampire killers even though I have seen it many times it's still enjoyable ,first saw the movie when it was called Dance of the Vampires.
    renno61 wrote: »
    Fearless vampire killers even though I have seen it many times it's still enjoyable ,first saw the movie when it was called Dance of the Vampires.

Great one. Watch it often! Really good production values and Jack Macgowan is a hoot! Love the score too!
    renno61 wrote: »

I need to get a copy of that one. Been at least 20 years since I've seen it. I remember when it aired on the TNT network.

I just watched

THE MOSQUITO COAST (1986)

starring Harrison Ford, Helen Mirren and River Phoenix. I actually had never seen it before and not sure what to make of it.

I laughed the whole time so I certainly enjoyed myself. However, it was unintentionally funny. Several great Harrison finger pointing moments I must say, but the film as whole I'm not so sure.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

That's one of the few Ford movies I never owned, but I did see it once, a long time ago. I seem to remember his intentions being good in the beginning (sick of fat lazy slobs in America and wanting to get out) but the further into the movie we got, the clearer it was he's completely lost it.

And he was one of those weirdos who refers to his wife as 'Mother'. :-&

That's one of the few Ford movies I never owned, but I did see it once, a long time ago. I seem to remember his intentions being good in the beginning (sick of fat lazy slobs in America and wanting to get out) but the further into the movie we got, the clearer it was he's completely lost it.

Very odd character, but I thought Ford played him quite well. I had recently seen the hilarious Siskel and Ebert review of this film on YouTube and was compelled to watch the film.
    Hellraiser 3 - Hell on Earth
    Hellraiser 4 - Bloodline
    The Vault
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Very odd character, but I thought Ford played him quite well. I had recently seen the hilarious Siskel and Ebert review of this film on YouTube and was compelled to watch the film.

I saw it in the cinema when it came out. Don t remember a thing about it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT
    Screen-Shot-2018-02-01-at-21.10.08-601x300.png

This is by far the best MI movie. Completely insane action. As far as excitement goes, nobody does it better right now. Actually the first time I have thoroughly enjoyed and been impressed by an MI entry. Two and a half hours flew by.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Glad you enjoyed it, Thundy.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I saw The Green Hornet 2011.

Very enjoyable.

This is by far the best MI movie. Completely insane action. As far as excitement goes, nobody does it better right now. Actually the first time I have thoroughly enjoyed and been impressed by an MI entry. Two and a half hours flew by.

A glowing review! Well said, NO ONE does it better right now.
    Very happy to hear it, @Thunderfinger. My favorite installment, as well.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Welcome to the club of fans @Thunderfinger. It's good to have you with us.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,279

How did (not) India look?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Terminal some scenes between Margot Robbie and Simon Pegg were OK, though this film is pretty dreadful.