Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Videodrome (1983). Extremely disturbing and thought-provoking. Quite the experience.
    Get Carter (1971)
    As gritty as I imagined it (and early 70's Tyne and Wear) to be. Shame I haven't seen it before now!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Videodrome (1983). Extremely disturbing and thought-provoking. Quite the experience.

LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH.

• BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    Get Carter (1971)
    As gritty as I imagined it (and early 70's Tyne and Wear) to be. Shame I haven't seen it before now!

Excellent film.
    Revelator wrote: »

LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH.

Yup. Legendary stuff.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

Really enjoyed it. Was a bit surprised to see Britt Ekland having such a brief role, when her name is included on the poster. Probably for advertising purposes, or because of that phone scene.
    Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

Really enjoyed it. Was a bit surprised to see Britt Ekland having such a brief role, when her name is included on the poster. Probably for advertising purposes, or because of that phone scene.
    Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

Glad you like it Torg,its a great British gritty revenge thriller.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 15,079
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

It's been on my list for years. Haven't seen anything with Michael Caine that I didn't like, and Get Carter didn't disappoint, either. Reading about the film, it ranks high on lists of the best British films, too.
    Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

It's been on my list for years. Haven't seen anything with Michael Caine that I didn't like, and Get Carter didn't disappoint, either. Reading about the film, it ranks high on lists of the best British films, too.

It does..its a film that is generally loved here...thats why the Stallone remake was just laughed at over here.
    Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

It does..its a film that is generally loved here...thats why the Stallone remake was just laughed at over here.

Take it the remake wasn't well received anywhere!
    Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

Absolute shite !
    Some films are just so good you cant remake them,and this is one of them..who would give the green light to remake a film like Get Carter ?
    (Whoever it was i hope they were sacked).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I enjoy the remake only because of Sly, but as a remake to Get Carter, it was an absolute embarrassment.
    Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

Get Carter (1971)

Excellent film.

Absolute shite !
    Some films are just so good you cant remake them,and this is one of them..who would give the green light to remake a film like Get Carter ?
    (Whoever it was i hope they were sacked).

Think you can count on one hand (possibly two hands) the amount of remakes that bettered the original. Never seem to work. American remakes of European films generally loose their appeal once they go across the pond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Sexy Beast (2000)
    VfytKve.jpg

I was very impressed with this film when I first saw it upon release. It was the first time I saw Ray Winstone in anything and I made note of him as someone to keep a look out for. However, it was Ben Kingsley who blew me away with his against type performance as Don Logan, a Cockney gangsta who visits Winstone's retired thief Gary 'Gal' Dove at his home in sunny Spain in order to coax him back to London for one last job. Gal would rather not go back to his old life, but Don is quite persuasive.

Director Jonathan Glazer does a marvelous job with this film in my view. It combines grit with style and flair. The eclectic soundtrack by Roque Banos is first class as well, and includes tracks by Henry Mancini, The Stranglers and UNKLE/South among others. There's a bit of Danny Boyle in Glazer's approach, which incorporates a youthful, colourful energy, a bit of eccentricity and some weird camera angles. There's also a bit of Scorsese. Most importantly, the acting and characterizations are first class here. Not only Kingsley and Winstone, but also the always superb Ian McShane in a role he was born to play.

I don't want to give anything more away, but you must watch this film if you are a fan of English gangster genre. You won't be disappointed. It's one of the best of the last 20 years. A masterclass in how to build tension & make the viewer unsettled without breaking the budget.
    One of my favourites @bondjames and firmly in my DVD collection...great,positive review,well done matey.
    Thanks @barryt007. I love this film. It's gold and well worth a blu ray purchase.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks @barryt007. I love this film. It's gold and well worth a blu ray purchase.

Blu ray ? ..wow it must be fantastic to watch on that !
    Hopefully Sky will offer it to buy on digital download..i dont need the DVD i have that..fingers crossed !

You might want to try 'Donkey Punch'...another British film,starring Ray Winstone's daughter as well...a compelling watch.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    You might want to try 'Donkey Punch'...another British film,starring Ray Winstone's daughter as well...a compelling watch.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check it out.

Yes I used to have it on dvd as well, but after my last viewing a few years back realized I'd rather get a blu ray copy if it was available. So I did some checking and noticed that Screen Archives was about to do a limited number release and managed to get my hands on one.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check it out.

Yes I used to have it on dvd as well, but after my last viewing a few years back realized I'd rather get a blu ray copy if it was available. So I did some checking and noticed that Screen Archives was about to do a limited number release and managed to get my hands on one.

Let me know wht you think when you see it...its not a gangster flick,its basically 3 girls on holiday looking for a sexy good time and end up on a big expensive yacht with 3 guys etc....i will say no more and not spoil it.

Well done for getting a limited edition as well,makes it even more precious !

Let me know wht you think when you see it...its not a gangster flick,its basically 3 girls on holiday looking for a sexy good time and end up on a big expensive yacht with 3 guys etc....i will say no more and not spoil it.
    Will do. The name of the film sort of gives me an idea of what may occur. Sounds intriguing.
    Will do. The name of the film sort of gives me an idea of what may occur. Sounds intriguing.

It is...lots of twists in a claustrophobic atmosphere,even though its a big big yacht.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Sexy Beast (2000)
    VfytKve.jpg

I was very impressed with this film when I first saw it upon release. It was the first time I saw Ray Winstone in anything and I made note of him as someone to keep a look out for. However, it was Ben Kingsley who blew me away with his against type performance as Don Logan, a Cockney gangsta who visits Winstone's retired thief Gary 'Gal' Dove at his home in sunny Spain in order to coax him back to London for one last job. Gal would rather not go back to his old life, but Don is quite persuasive.

Director Jonathan Glazer does a marvelous job with this film in my view. It combines grit with style and flair. The eclectic soundtrack by Roque Banos is first class as well, and includes tracks by Henry Mancini, The Stranglers and UNKLE/South among others. There's a bit of Danny Boyle in Glazer's approach, which incorporates a youthful, colourful energy, a bit of eccentricity and some weird camera angles. There's also a bit of Scorsese. Most importantly, the acting and characterizations are first class here. Not only Kingsley and Winstone, but also the always superb Ian McShane in a role he was born to play.

I don't want to give anything more away, but you must watch this film if you are a fan of English gangster genre. You won't be disappointed. It's one of the best of the last 20 years. A masterclass in how to build tension & make the viewer unsettled without breaking the budget.

Great film @bondjames

It's one I watch quite regularly. For me Ben Kingsley as Don Logan is one of the most terrifying creations in cinema history. He burns a hole in the screen just with his glare!

I love the structure of the film and it's weird dream sequences.

The scenes between Winstone and McShane are also nicely intense.

Check out another great British gangster film, The Long Good Friday if you haven't already.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH.

Beat me to it. My favorite Cronenberg film.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH.

Beat me to it. My favorite Cronenberg film.

I’m just starting to really work my way into his filmography. The Fly and The Dead Zone were AWESOME. Videodrome also excellent.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Dead Ringers with Jeremy Irons was Cronenberg wasnt it ?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Digitalia

It was. Saw it in the cinema and didn t really care for it, but I liked his version of The Fly.

It was. Saw it in the cinema and didn t really care for it, but I liked his version of The Fly.

I cant remember too much about it now but i thought it was...The Fly is very good,Goldblum excellent as normal.

I cant remember too much about it now but i thought it was...The Fly is very good,Goldblum excellent as normal.

The follow-up was lame, though.

The follow-up was lame, though.

I cant watch that ,i turned it off as soon as the Labrador was turned inside out....too much.
    I forgot about that disgusting scene. I actually forgot the whole movie.