Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

I totally agree on READY PLAYER ONE.

I can recommend the documentary 'SPIELBERG' (> 2 hours). It's an honest, open and informative documentary about Spielberg and featuring the man himself. I'm a huge Spielberg fan and always will be.

I'll look out for the documentary cheers, I bought the film as a digital download though extremely cheap so I will also buy the Bluray for the extra content, Spielberg is always fascinating to listen too. Spielbergs input on the Forbidden Planet Bluray was excellent reflecting on the Sci Fi genre.

I remember reading your reviews on another great director, I am sure you appreciated the quest for the second key, that scene was fantastically recreated at the
    Overlook Hotel I found it amusing them referencing King's dislike of the film.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns

I loved that recreation very much! :D

Oh yes, indeed, the docu about 50s science fiction on the FP bluray is one I watch very often. Spielberg is a fantastic instructor, analyst and historian.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

I totally agree on READY PLAYER ONE.

I can recommend the documentary 'SPIELBERG' (> 2 hours). It's an honest, open and informative documentary about Spielberg and featuring the man himself. I'm a huge Spielberg fan and always will be.

I'll look out for the documentary cheers, I bought the film as a digital download though extremely cheap so I will also buy the Bluray for the extra content, Spielberg is always fascinating to listen too. Spielbergs input on the Forbidden Planet Bluray was excellent reflecting on the Sci Fi genre.

I remember reading your reviews on another great director, I am sure you appreciated the quest for the second key, that scene was fantastically recreated at the
    Overlook Hotel I found it amusing them referencing King's dislike of the film.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns

I loved that recreation very much! :D

Oh yes, indeed, the docu about 50s science fiction on the FP bluray is one I watch very often. Spielberg is a fantastic instructor, analyst and historian.

I recently bought the ebook for Ready Player One though I have not got far into it, so the second key scenes were a complete surprise. That particular film they referenced I have watched hundreds of times, probably my favourite psychological horror film. Wow was my initial reaction.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 15,801
    JAWS 3-D (1983)

Picked up a DVD set of the JAWS sequels today at a comic con. I randomly chose the 3rd film as I haven't seen it in years.
    This takes me back to when I saw this in the cinema with my Dad back in the summer of '83. I vividly remember the trailer for METALSTORM preceded this film. My Dad and I would catch that one later in the summer.

I've seen the first JAWS on the big screen probably 5 times or more over the years. So it's kind of a treat to revisit the lesser loved sequels. I always thought this was a stand alone one off film. I just now realized Dennis Quaid's character here was featured in the other films played by other actors.
    Quite enjoyed this viewing. This reminds me a bit of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE (1955) , set in a Sea World environment. Not much shark footage here, and the effects as seen in regular 2-D are lacking. Still several shots, the severed arm, POV inside the sharks mouth I remember exactly as they were in the cinema.

The colors on this DVD transfer look damn good as well and not digitally altered. I'm guessing this is probably an early DVD transfer. Has more of a film look to it, which I especially appreciate.

All in all I'm glad I picked up this set. I'll have to pop in the Michael Caine JAWS next time.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Avengers Infinity War

Very enjoyable with many reservations.

Some great moments, the battle in Wakanda was impressive and overall the action was top notch.

Hated Spider-Mans ridiculous suit with the silly legs. As with Iron Man's suit that seems to grow extra molecules when needed and is too cartoonish.

Thanos just doesn't convince me he's actually there. The CGI just doesn't do it for me. And takes me out of the film whenever his unrealistic form is on screen. Since Jurassic Park it seems CGI isn't advancing at all. So how come the Planet of the Apes films managed photoreal Apes?

Good fun but The Winter Soldier remains the bar raiser in the Marvel universe.
    Mission Impossible : Fallout
    Mrs. Doubtfire
    Platoon
    Air America
    Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Deer Hunter... WOW.... and now The Fighter... WOW
    The Incredibles 2. Excellent sequel, as good as the first one. Once again, Edna and Jack-Jack steal the show.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Limehouse Golem a dark gruesome and unnerving film, very well made it captures the dirt and decadence of late 19th century London well. Thankfully I knew nothing about the film before watching, fans of murder mystery films will enjoy this.
    Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 in a reverse order.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Avengers Infinity War

Very enjoyable with many reservations.

Some great moments, the battle in Wakanda was impressive and overall the action was top notch.

Hated Spider-Mans ridiculous suit with the silly legs. As with Iron Man's suit that seems to grow extra molecules when needed and is too cartoonish.

Thanos just doesn't convince me he's actually there. The CGI just doesn't do it for me. And takes me out of the film whenever his unrealistic form is on screen. Since Jurassic Park it seems CGI isn't advancing at all. So how come the Planet of the Apes films managed photoreal Apes?

Good fun but The Winter Soldier remains the bar raiser in the Marvel universe.

Agree with all here, my friend.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SharkBait wrote: »

Two of the finest sci-fi movies ever made.

Hmmmmm.....
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Agreed.
    jake24 wrote: »

Agreed.

Hmmmmm....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I just viewed 2049 on 4K blu a few days back. Visually it's incredible, but I found the pacing glacial. It only really picks up towards the end and the finale in the remote location is outstanding. If they'd tightened it up a bit pacing wise I think I would have preferred it more. I haven't seen the original in a while, but will get to it again once I can source a reasonably priced 4K copy.
    jake24 wrote: »

Agreed.

Seconded. I go as far as to say the sequel's better. Maybe. Let's see how it stands the test of time.
    Mission Impossible: Fallout.
    Just back from a screening.
    Pretty much what I thought of the last one. Enjoyable enough watch.....but instantly forgettable and have no real desire to see it again! There have been a few hysterical reviews of this! Baffling in my opinion, it's just more action fodder....and it doesn't come close to Bond! I like Cruise but the Ethan Hunt character is no 007 and never will be!
    Of the series I think Ghost Protocol is probably the only one I would say was halfway decent
    (And had Dan Bradley on 2nd unit...They should have got him back for Bond 25!)
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Pretty much what I thought of the last one. Enjoyable enough watch.....but instantly forgettable and have no real desire to see it again! There have been a few hysterical reviews of this! Baffling in my opinion, it's just more action fodder....and it doesn't come close to Bond! I like Cruise but the Ethan Hunt character is no 007 and never will be!
    Of the series I think Ghost Protocol is probably the only one I would say was halfway decent

How does it affect your opinion of Cavill as Bond ?
    barryt007 wrote: »

No. Wouldn't think he is suitable. Saw him in Man From Uncle film and thought he was too bland then. Have to say am not really impressed with any of the names bandied around! In all honesty, I would love Craig to do Bond 26 as I think he's doing a fantastic job!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

No. Wouldn't think he is suitable. Saw him in Man From Uncle film and thought he was too bland then. Have to say am not really impressed with any of the names bandied around! In all honesty, I would love Craig to do Bond 26 as I think he's doing a fantastic job!

Hear Hear!
  • peterpeter Toronto

Hear Hear!

agreed with everything you said @Mathis1 (especially about the hysterical reviews)
    Thanks peter! There's just a lot of "seen it all before" about the film and the characters are just not that interesting or engaging! When I think of McQuarrie, the writer of The Usual Suspects, I just think he could do better, particularly plot wise!
    Ah well, roll on Bond 25, let's see what John Hodge and Boyle can give us! Really looking forward to production starting in a few months time!
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 19,339
    It wouldn't surprise me (depending how B25 performs) if Craig came back for B26 and the anniversary.

He would be on 6 films then,the same as Connery...would he even squeeze B27 in (if filmed soon after B26 ) to equal Sir Roger's 7 ?
    Bond 27 is pushing it , but as you say barry, depending how well Bond 25 goes with everyone, it wouldn't surprise me (or disappoint me!) If Babs persuades Craig to stay on for his 6th!
    Craig has more films in him, I agree, @barryt007. In my humble opinion, this should have been his 6th film already. These four-year gaps are a bit too much for this Bond fan. Nothing wrong with a new film every 2.5 or so years.
    Craig has more films in him, I agree, @barryt007. In my humble opinion, this should have been his 6th film already. These four-year gaps are a bit too much for this Bond fan. Nothing wrong with a new film every 2.5 or so years.

Spott on DD !!

These gaps are not good,especially if,after all that waiting,all we get is a film like SP !!
    I liked SP but more because I am one of the few to think of it as a step up from SF, which I think is a tad overrated. (I'm a CR kinda guy and it bugs me that THAT film didn't spoon up more dough during its BO run while the (in my opinion) inferior SF went ballistic like it's nobody's business. SP felt like it at least "tasted" more like a Bond film than SF, like splitting the difference between MR and TSWLM but then in reverse.)

Either way, I like Craig as Bond in front of the camera. Unlike others, I don't care what he may have said during one or two interviews in the immediate aftermath of shooting SP, and neither do I care how the rest of his career is doing. He's an excellent Bond, like Dalton, only actually acknowledged as such, which Dalton, sadly, wasn't nearly enough. Nostalgics should realise something too. We will never get Connery back. Casting a lookalike would not service our cherished memories of the golden years of DN, FRWL and GF. Craig is different, though still a brawler and exhuding that raw sexual magnetism, but different.

What baffles me is how on this very forum, the Facebook mentality of "everyone KNOWS everything" has tragically seeped in too.

- Barbara Broccoli wants to feminize Bond.
    - Barbara Broccoli wants to metrosexualize Bond.
    - Craig and Barbara Broccoli conspire to turn Bond into the anti-Fleming.

And if it isn't "Babs", it's Kathleen Kennedy. Because yes, Star Wars NEVER had liberal themes before... *sigh*

I wonder what the Facebook crowd would have said in '79...

- Cubby wants to spoof his own Bond.
    - Moore wants to ridiculize Bond.
    - Cubby and Moore conspire to turn Bond into the anti-Fleming.

But hey, we didn't have Facebook or Twitter back then, and people were still forced to think for themselves rather than copy a tweet and say, "see? What he said."

I am convinced, though I'd never claim to "KNOW" something up front, that Barbara Broccoli, Michael Wilson and Daniel Craig are working hard to bring "us" a darn good Bond film, except that "us" aren't necessarily the folks who can reproduce every line of dialogue from ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE by heart. In every long-lasting series, the fan-base inevitably turns polarized, upset at some point, possibly angry. Too much fan service leaves potentially new fans in the dark, so we're almost by default the ones biting it. I didn't like the "What makes you think this is my first time?" line either, but my theatre was laughing. CR, in my opinion, found the perfect middle ground between giving something to the fans as well as to fresh audiences in 2006. And then we have people who vote for TMWTGG rather than for CR or some other Craig film in one of our games. Why? In loving memory of Roger Moore? Because "NOW! ... I KNOW ... who YOU are! You're that AGENT, that English secret agent from England!" is so much better than anything else we've ever seen? Or because it's a statement, about how this Craig fellar is annoying the hell out of us because... uh ... because ... uh ... because I read on Facebook that somebody doesn't like Craig and so I won't like him either, I guess"?

Don't worry, I'm exaggerating. :) No doubt someone will come out now saying the inevitable. I'll be first: "hey, since WHEN is it FORBIDDEN to say anything negative about Craig?" It's not, I'm just fooling around a bit. But I'll say this: when I read statements TODAY that "Bond 25 is a box office disaster waiting to happen", I cringe. There's no logic, reasonable foresight, empirical evidence or anything else involved. At best, it can be turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy. "Yeah, you call 900 mill a success? Boy oh boy, that thing cost FOUR HUNDRED to make! They need at least 1,2 billion to break even." And that means it's a bad film, why?

All of the above in anticipation of the crap I usually hear when simply stating, "I wish we could have gotten more Craig Bonds." Or as my colleague replied the other day, "Ugh! Craig. IDRIS ELBA should have played Bond." Well, end of discussion then.

/Dimi's rant
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @DarthDimi and his rant: you’re spot on again
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Fun read @DarthDimi, but wrong thread. ;) Nothing wrong with being an ardent Craig supporter from where I’m standing. 1 in 6 probability actually, or maybe even a little higher as he’s the incumbent and most recent actor to play the part.

I certainly think that this forum, the opinions expressed here on all subjects, and the discussion that takes place is far superior to anything on facebook or twitter. I don't have a facebook account and never will but have read some of what goes on there. Do things get passionate and irrational here from time to time? Sure, but that's part of the fun and should be expected. Even those who aren’t adults here (especially those who aren’t actually) bring a fantastic and unique perspective with their commentary. I pretty much know where everyone comes from and respect all opinions expressed, even if I disagree, (sometimes wholeheartedly).

As I said on another thread, we’ve got 50+ years of fandom with this series. Not everyone is going to agree on everything and it would be amazing if we did. I will add that I’ve not seen some of the points you raised in your rant posted here. Either I've missed it or you are, as you admitted, exaggerating for emphasis.As long as people express whatever opinions they hold coherently, they are just that. As the saying goes, just like a%%h*l*s, everyone inevitably has one although some invariably express theirs more rudely than others.

Just for the record, I loved the “What makes you think this is my first time?” line, and I’m a huge fan of TMWTGG as well, and think Moore’s performance in it shades anything Craig has delivered outside of his debut in CR. No illogical group or facebook influenced thinking there. Just the heartfelt (and perhaps imbecilic) individual opinion of a passionate lifelong fan of the series.
    ---

EDIT: Back on topic for this thread

The Bourne Trilogy, Bourne Legacy and Jason Bourne (various years)
    Agxk7vW.jpg

The recent MI film had whetted my appetite for all things 'action', and so I revisited the entire Bourne series over the weekend. Great fun and they all hold up very well (yes, even Legacy, which I enjoy even though Renner is certainly no Damon). These films are tense, have visceral fisticuffs, groundbreaking action, and all have great scores. I was a bit disappointed that they chose to revisit old ground with the last one (I think they should have been more daring), but I still liked it. The plot wasn't too far fetched. I wish they'd stuck in Europe instead of going stateside, but that final car chase is great.

I'll probably come back to them in a year or so, as these films always hit the spot.
    Thank you kindly for your replies, @peter and @bondjames. You're right, wrong thread. ;-)