Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Bourne is extremely overrated in my opinion. There is nothing about them that makes me ever rewatch them. My favorite one is the Jeremy Renner one because it doesn't feel like a Bourne movie.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Bourne is extremely overrated in my opinion. There is nothing about them that makes me ever rewatch them. My favorite one is the Jeremy Renner one because it doesn't feel like a Bourne movie.
    +1
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Cobra was the nadir of 80's actioners. It's Stallone adoring himself in the worst macho way possible, as well as having his obnoxious girlfirend at the time Bridgette Nielsen feature in it.

It's a horrible, ugly, unimaginative film with not an original bone in its body.

And i write that as a Stallone fan.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondsum wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bone Tomahawk

Another excellent slow-burning genre film from the underrated S. Craig Zahler - terrific cast (though I wish some had bigger roles to play), and it contains one of the most painful death scenes I think I've ever witnessed in movies. The movie takes its time, but the endeavor is worth it and the pacing didn't falter all that much in my opinion. Took me too long to get around to seeing this in its entirety.
    Great low budget movie. Zahler’s intention was to shoot his own Wraiths of the Broken Land but found it would be too costly to make, so he wrote Bone Tomahawk which bares similarities but isn’t as violent and grandiose as Wraiths. Incidentally, Ridley Scott has the rights to Wraiths which is why I’d wish he’d push it to the top of his schedule. This book would make an excellent western.

Awesome, I didn't know there was any correlation between the two. I recall hearing of Wraiths once Ridley signed on to direct it a while back; hopefully he gets to it sooner rather than later, as he's not getting any younger.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Why is it's horrible in your opinion?

There is no originality, nothing that stands out as memorable. Just generic macho stuff.

Isn't it kind of a remake of Eastwood's The Gauntlet?
    Cobra was the nadir of 80's actioners. It's Stallone adoring himself in the worst macho way possible, as well as having his obnoxious girlfirend at the time Bridgette Nielsen feature in it.

It's a horrible, ugly, unimaginative film with not an original bone in its body.

Think I read somewhere that Brigitte Nielsen gave birth to a baby recently. Might have been a different 80's actress, though.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 5,808
    According to Wikipedia, it's the same actress. I'm impressed, I must admit it.

https://people.com/babies/brigitte-nielsen-welcomes-fifth-child-at-54-daughter-frida/
    Isn't like 60 or so,?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, it is the same Brigitte who recently had a kid. I recall reading about her pregnancy around the time that Rachel Weisz (no spring chicken herself) announced hers.

RE: Cobra - I saw it a few years back for the first time and was quite unimpressed. It reminded me of a poor man's Terminator without any of the benefits of that flick. I'm a big Sly fan though.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Isn't like 60 or so,?

55. As I said, impressive.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Bridgette was a hugely bad influence on him & his movies.
    I love Cobra, but even I can recognize this was a movie that was made in a time when Stallone had a really big head. I read he directed half of it, lol.
    I especially felt bad for Brian Thompson- he took this role very seriously and came to Stallone for some advice on 'where this guy's coming from' and was brushed aside and simply told because he's a bad guy. Furthermore, during the climax when he gave his big monologue as the Night Slasher (presumably speaking to Cobra), Stallone wasn't even there! He was off watching football or making out with Bridgette! :))

I'm glad Stallone had mellowed out since, but you have to remember, this was during the height of Rocky & Rambo-- the dude was on fire.

That's why Cobra sits comfortably in the guilty pleasure category for me!
    I'm a Sly fan, but I'm glad we didn't get his version of Beverly Hills Cop...
    I watched COBRA a few months ago for the first time in decades. It's most definitely a mid '80's generic action romp right before the genre hit new standards with LETHAL WEAPON and DIE HARD.
    I'm a Stallone fan as well, and enjoy COBRA for what it is when I'm in the mood for it. I kind of have to have a nostalgia for that time in cinema history and my childhood to appreciate it. ROCKY I can enjoy anytime.
    Gerard wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, it's the same actress. I'm impressed, I must admit it.

https://people.com/babies/brigitte-nielsen-welcomes-fifth-child-at-54-daughter-frida/

Yes, that's quite impressive. Can't understand why she'd want to have a baby at that age, though.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Ain't nothing wrong with it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Completely agree with @jake24!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Ready Player One 4K, first time I have watched this and it's alot of fun, there are some truly awesome scenes in this film, anyone who grew up on Spielberg produced and directed films should enjoy this. There were alot of moments where my jaw dropped, the main villains weapon of choice was awesome and a certain space torpedo that was in the film brilliant.
    Two movies last sunday. First, Mamma Mia 2 : Here We Go Again, which was better than I thought it might be. All right, I'm an ABBA fan, but even so, given that they used the most well-known songs in the stage musical (which I saw twice) and the first movie, and that follow-ups to musicals always end up being flops (Love Never Dies, or Bring Back Birdy, for example), I didn't expect too much from it, especially after hearing the news about the absence of a character. But I liked it. It's a good popcorn movie, with a good cast, good songs, and some good and at times inventive scenes. Will probably buy the DVD.

Then, Ant Man and the Wasp, which is a really fun movie. The cast is top-notch, the jokes are great (once again, Michael Peña steals the show), the action scenes are great, in short, one of the best movies I've seen this year. And the first post credit scene packs a strong punch (there was a reaction in the theater that mirrored what we all were thinking : "Oh Crap !").
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,337
    Death Wish I have not watched this since the 80's and for the first 30 minutes I was at odds with the film, though a key scene around the 35 minute mark really makes this film work. Paul Kersey character was bothering me its been decades since I watched the film, though the key scene clearly illustrates Paul is dormant psychopath.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    rush_ver4.jpg

I didn't know where else to put it, but it is with great sadness that I hear that exactly 42 years to the day after his near fatal accident depicted in Rush, three-times world champion Niki Lauda is in critical condition after an emergency lung transplant. The other lead character of the film, 1976 world champion James Hunt, has passed away age 45 in 1993, from a sudden heart attack only a couple of days after commentating his final Formula 1 race on the BBC.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

I totally agree on READY PLAYER ONE.

I can recommend the documentary 'SPIELBERG' (> 2 hours). It's an honest, open and informative documentary about Spielberg and featuring the man himself. I'm a huge Spielberg fan and always will be.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,337
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

I totally agree on READY PLAYER ONE.

I can recommend the documentary 'SPIELBERG' (> 2 hours). It's an honest, open and informative documentary about Spielberg and featuring the man himself. I'm a huge Spielberg fan and always will be.

I'll look out for the documentary cheers, I bought the film as a digital download though extremely cheap so I will also buy the Bluray for the extra content, Spielberg is always fascinating to listen too. Spielbergs input on the Forbidden Planet Bluray was excellent reflecting on the Sci Fi genre.

I remember reading your reviews on another great director, I am sure you appreciated the quest for the second key, that scene was fantastically recreated at the
    Overlook Hotel I found it amusing them referencing King's dislike of the film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Just watched Tully. It features a fantastic acoustic cover of “You only live twice.”
    Under the Shadow (2016)
    While waiting for Babak Anvari's second feature film, filmed in New Orleans earlier this year and set to be released next year, I thought I should see his first, especially since I had heard good things about it. An intelligent horror movie (as opposed to silly and over the top, which is more common), about a mother and a daughter haunted by evil in 1980s Tehran. A very promising debut film. Can recommend to people who find the premise interesting and can handle subtitles (unless you're fluent in Persian, of course).

Cuv3PAVW8AAlza6.jpg

El secreto de sus ojos (2009)
    Pretty good, but this story probably worked better as a book than a movie. (I haven't read it, but the structure suggests that.) I haven't seen the apparently inferior English language version, and have no interest in it either, either.

The Hoax (2006)
    The Private Lives of Pippa Lee (2009)
    Made in Dagenham (2010)
    Die Fälscher - The Counterfeiters (2007)
    The War Machine (2017)
    Hodejegerne - Headhunters (2011)
    Notes on a Scandal (2006)

Isle of Dogs (2018)
    After March, as usual, there hasn't been much interesting new stuff to go see in theatre, this was a rare exception. Didn't care about the humans, but the dogs were great. Entertaining.

The Invitation (2015)
    A promising concept, but this was so bad.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    Another re-watch. Still good.

Child 44 (2015)
    Watched for Tom Hardy. Not great, but better than I expected from what I had heard.

The Whistleblower (2010)
    Watched for Rachel Weisz. She was good, and so were almost all actors. This is unfortunately a true story (about human trade), though somewhat mellowed for the screen (still horrendous). Even the text at the end was... just gawd. Not for people looking for lighthearted escapism.

Disobedience (2017)
    A theatre visit. An interesting and very well made story about a tight, conservative community (Jewish in this case), and what happens when somebody does not conform. The main trio - Rachel Weisz, Rachel McAdams, Alessandro Nivola - were all excellent, as were the supporting characters.

Das Leben der Anderen - The Lives of Others (2006)
    This was very good. About Stasi monitoring people in East Berlin. Got the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, among other awards - well deserved, I'm sure.

The Man with the Iron Heart (AKA HHhH, AKA Killing Heydrich) (2017)
    360 (2011)
    Kon-Tiki (2012)
    Water for Elephants (2011)
    Money Monster (2016)
    All The King's Men (2006)

I watched a bunch of movies by Aki Kaurismäki. I had seen some, but it was about time to make a more extensive effort (which will be continued). So far:

Rikos ja rangaistus - Crime and Punishment (1983)
    Calamari Union (1985)
    Varjoja paratiisissa - Shadows In Paradise (1986)
    Ariel (1988)
    Tulitikkutehtaan tyttö - The Match Factory Girl (1990)
    I Hired A Contract Killer (1990)
    La Vie de Bohème (1992)
    Juha (1999)
    Le Havre (2011)

And I watched some Stanley Kubrick:

Fear and Desire (1953)
    The Killing (1956)
    Paths Of Glory (1957)

Spartacus (1960)
    I rarely like these huge 60s epics, and this is no exception.

Lolita (1962)
    This is stylish and good and well acted, but nowhere near as creepy as it should be. It was made in the 60s, so that obviously has a lot to do with that. Nevertheless, the title character here looks like a young woman - regardless if the actress was 14 or 15. Lolita is supposed to be a kid (I think she's 12 in the book), so the main thing in the story gets watered down a lot when the girl looks (and acts) like she could be old enough for the relationship instead of being an abused child. Still a good movie.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    Very, very stylish, and a fascinating watch, always. Not really dated (rare for old sci-fi) and still looks fabulous. By far the most interesting character here is not human. (By design, of course.) The humans are boring, but for once that doesn't ruin a movie.

Barry Lyndon (1975)
    First time watching, and probably the last - I can't imagine I want to spend another 3 hours for this.

And... lots more...
    Later.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    The Incredibles 2. Obviously it's not as fresh as the first, but considering how much time has passed - it's a surprisingly solid effort (loved the Giacchino score also). It kept the kids amused/quiet for 2 hours - so did it's job!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Satorious wrote: »
    The Incredibles 2. Obviously it's not as fresh as the first, but considering how much time has passed - it's a surprisingly solid effort (loved the Giacchino score also). It kept the kids amused/quiet for 2 hours - so did it's job!

That doesn t premiere here for another two or three weeks, but I aim to see it. The first was excellent.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I watch THe HOBBIT: Desolation of Smaug on ITV last night.

Having never seen the Hobbit films before, I was a bit disappointed with these. I thought Jackson could do no wrong, as his Lord of the Rings films were all extremely impressive, but these just don't live up to those in any respect. The story seems overcrowded with tangents and subplots, and the CGI is even more evident than in the origin trilogy. The one part which pulled me through my viewing was the love triangle between the two elf and the dwarf. Aidan Turner is better than I thought at playing vulnerable, and also much more warm, endearing presence here than he is called to play in his previous roles. It was a refreshing treat whenever they recalled back to this storyline as the film does throughout. Bravo, Mister Jackson, Bravo!
  • The Hobbit films were so very, very far of a cry from Jackson's LOTR trilogy as to be perfectly, wholly, and completely inaudible. But of the three, Desolation of Smaug was decisively the best in my opinion. The romance subplot, some of the action sequences, and Howard Shore's truly excellent score were highlights of a rather unnecessary film in the middle of an entirely unnecessary trilogy.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Hobbit is a two parter (at best - even that is pushing it) - the whole trilogy felt rushed/unnecessary/drawn out (and a cynical cash-in). I agree that Shore's DoS score was the strongest out of the three. Wouldn't like to say which one I liked best as they were all such a come-down after LOTR.