No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Has Nolan said anything about what his next project is? He usually gives it about three years between films, no? So that should give us something in 2021 or thereabouts, which makes Bond unlikely.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,281
    IMO Boyle is a good choice for director because he makes films that have great pace and energy to them, which after SF and SP is much needed. However, after B25 I hope we move away from autuers back to "entertainment" directors. If Campbell is too old, please let Nolan have a go and really give the franchise the facelift it's in need of. Think about how dramatically he transformed Batman, and made it relevant and timely again in the cinematic landscape. I get the feeling after Interstellar and Dunkirk and whatever he does next, he will probably be looking to direct another franchise film again around the time of B26, the timeline will match up. I think Bond 25 can be a critical darling, but can not see a big financial hit. Not to say they won't make their money back if they rein in the budget, which seems likely. But they have driven Bond into a sort of arty area, and I would like some blockbuster brawn back in Bond once the smoke clears.

I'm all for "entertainment" directors. Cinema Bond should be fun, and CR/QoS was the last time we saw that, in my opinion. However, I haven't really seen Nolan as an "entertainment" director. Big scale movie director, sure. But his films are a bit gloomy if you ask me.

Can't agree on not seeing Bond 25 as possible financial hit. Why shouldn't it? The gap between the films doesn't help, surely - but if they do proper marketing, and make a film critics doesn't pan completely, then it still has any potential of being a financial hit.
    BTW - I just opened a new thread called Bond 26 musings, because I think its time now to separate 25 and 26 for good. The new actor thread could be merged into it as well.

So please, for everything regarding 26 go there.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    IMO Boyle is a good choice for director because he makes films that have great pace and energy to them, which after SF and SP is much needed. However, after B25 I hope we move away from autuers back to "entertainment" directors. If Campbell is too old, please let Nolan have a go and really give the franchise the facelift it's in need of. Think about how dramatically he transformed Batman, and made it relevant and timely again in the cinematic landscape. I get the feeling after Interstellar and Dunkirk and whatever he does next, he will probably be looking to direct another franchise film again around the time of B26, the timeline will match up. I think Bond 25 can be a critical darling, but can not see a big financial hit. Not to say they won't make their money back if they rein in the budget, which seems likely. But they have driven Bond into a sort of arty area, and I would like some blockbuster brawn back in Bond once the smoke clears.

I'm all for "entertainment" directors. Cinema Bond should be fun, and CR/QoS was the last time we saw that, in my opinion. However, I haven't really seen Nolan as an "entertainment" director. Big scale movie director, sure. But his films are a bit gloomy if you ask me.

Can't agree on not seeing Bond 25 as possible financial hit. Why shouldn't it? The gap between the films doesn't help, surely - but if they do proper marketing, and make a film critics doesn't pan completely, then it still has any potential of being a financial hit.
    It should do outsize business relative to other franchises in its key markets, which are primarily European (UK most notably, but also Germany and France) along with Australia. North America will be more difficult due to noted competition this time out and due to the staggered release (that worked for SF but I don't think the US press will cut Bond slack next time - they're onto the play). China is a wild card. As with SW there doesn't seem to be that legacy respect for this franchise history that exists elsewhere. Japan and South Korea are also historically weak in comparison to overall gross.

It will be fascinating to see how it plays out. I'm not expecting SF type records, but it should at least match SP on a nominal basis (although I think it will fall short of both in inflation adjusted terms).
    bondjames wrote: »

It should do outsize business relative to other franchises in its key markets, which are primarily European (UK most notably, but also Germany and France) along with Australia. North America will be more difficult due to noted competition this time out and due to the staggered release (that worked for SF but I don't think the US press will cut Bond slack next time - they're onto the play). China is a wild card. As with SW there doesn't seem to be that legacy respect for this franchise history that exists elsewhere. Japan and South Korea are also historically weak in comparison to overall gross.

It will be fascinating to see how it plays out. I'm not expecting SF type records, but it should at least match SP on a nominal basis (although I think it will fall short of both in inflation adjusted terms).

True. I won't expect it to match SF in that regard, but SP should be possible to match, at least - as you write, on nominal basis. It's really just guesswork, but it has as much potential of doing well financially as many other films (although probably not as good as the superhero stuff).
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2018 Posts: 10,512

Post in the new thread. Thanks.

EDIT: I notice it’s been closed. Any reason mods? Seemed apt given the amount of posters who can’t help but wax lyrical about B26. I’m all for a dedicated thread in which they can jizz their pants together, rather than clogging this one with pseudo-intellectual claptrap.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    RC7 wrote: »

Post in the new thread. Thanks.

EDIT: I notice it’s been closed. Any reason mods? Seemed apt given the amount of posters who can’t help but wax lyrical about B26. I’m all for a dedicated thread in which they can jizz their pants together, rather than clogging this one with pseudo-intellectual claptrap.

I agree with @Germanlady and @RC7:

This is tiresome. We have a new Bond film in development, with a great director, and a certain group have stated that they're more excited for 26. Give them a thread so they can all get in a circle and enjoy themselves.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 40,473
    We don't really need a Bond 26 thread when Bond 25 hasn't even begun production yet. That's pretty much the problem we had in the first place. If we're getting tired of that talk, then let's make this (as obvious as this has seemed for years) a strict Bond 25 thread only, and anything about the next era needn't be mentioned. We've gone on about it enough as it is.

But as I said elsewhere, if everyone is unanimous in wanting that thread open, then it'll be re-opened. I just don't see what more can be said on the subject that hasn't been stated ad nauseam here already.
    @Creasy47, @jake24, I'm perfectly fine with this thread as it is and the broad discussion we have here on an ongoing basis. As we noted a few weeks back, it's essentially an open ended catch all speculation thread for now, and has been so since inception.

Once B25 production ramps up it will inevitably switch naturally to being a focused production thread geared to the film in question.

I suspect that will occur somewhere around the time the title is announced and the presser takes place later this year, which is when we will get new hard facts. Until then, we really have only ongoing 'speculation', so I don't think it matters if it's focused on what folks want for B25, B26 or anything else for that matter (including future composers, directors, Mark Strong, Jodie Foster, Cashleypersia, 2nd unit directors, stunt coordinators etc. etc.). It's all just ramblings.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2018 Posts: 4,554
    Getafix wrote: »
    of all the actresses mentioned as potential female villains so far, tilda swinton is the most natural fit. as with all of the names suggested so far I would like her to play it relatively straight tho.

she is a total chameleon and can play practically anything. watch her in a Bigger Splash, Snowpiercer and Trainwreck to see her uneievable range.

Trainwreck in particular had me double taking. she is hilarious and brilliant in it.

Boyle directed Swinton in The Beach (did someone already mention that?)

Mark Strong was in Kingsman. For some reason, I view this was a disqualifier. LOL
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I would prefer a Bond 26 thread for future speculation, yes. Bond 25 rumors and chat here.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Bond 26 Speculation thread is perfectly justified.

The rest is up to the board members to access. Or not access.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 6,601
    @Creasy, seems to me, a reopening is favoured. Please do so.

If you read through the thread titles, you will certainly find a few, who are a 100 percent less necessary.

This things name is 25 production thread and as fast as the mods are normally with telling us to not go astray, its more then high time to give the „astray posts“ a new home.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited June 2018 Posts: 4,416
    I agree for a reopening as well. Only because this thread is being cluttered with every thing past Bond 25. Those who participate in this matter should be able to have their own thread so this one can focus squarely on Bond 25
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We have dozens of threads that cover most things that have been heavily debated here, and that didn t help.
    Why not open a discussion for bond 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ..... You lot all know eon don't start any kind of pre planning on the next bond film until the current one has come out. The days of those have gone. Plus this debate is basically you lot arguing about things not even related to bond 25. I'm sick of coming onto this site and scrolling through pages and pages of nothing to do with the subject matter of bond 25. Get a grip people and don't start debating what I've just wrote as that will add more pointless pages.
  • RC7RC7
    I don’t think it needs to be a specific B26 thread, just a ‘Future of Bond’ thread for those who have more interest in the post-Craig era than B25.
    I want Bill Murray in a Bond film
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    RC7 wrote: »
    I don’t think it needs to be a specific B26 thread, just a ‘Future of Bond’ thread for those who have more interest in the post-Craig era than B25.

That's what the 'Bond 25 and beyond' section of the forum is for. You can discuss any aspect of what comes next there.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Has Nolan said anything about what his next project is? He usually gives it about three years between films, no? So that should give us something in 2021 or thereabouts, which makes Bond unlikely.

2020: Nolan's next movie
    2023: Nolan's Bond (aka BOND 26)
    There's no need for a B26 thread at this point. Let's just enjoy the excitement of B25 first!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I want Bill Murray in a Bond film

I'd love a Bill Murray Bond film.

Fig1_Suntory-time-1024x675.jpg
    Murray as Bond?

That's good (free) Bond marketing! :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Of the Bonds, only Moore and Brosnan have them, don't they?

Can't remember seeing Connery's star on a walk of fame anywhere.
    Oh I'd love Bill Murray in a Bond film. In a lounge. In a tux.
    Just a snippet of that would be fine. ;)

Craig's new honor is fine. I don't put much stock in those, but OK, yay!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Getafix
    Wouldn't that be awesome? :D
    edited June 2018 Posts: 12,459
    My thoughts on a new thread ... just that I think the current one under production should be here. The "Bond26" or "Future Bond films, all things discussed" can be separate and I really think that has value. Every time a film gets under production it would be here. All musings, ideas, chat about AFTER the current one (the next Bond, all of that) could be in the other one. I do prefer that. I know this one has great intentions and I value it but it has become so heavily bogged down over the years. I do think that would work better for all.

That way we'd keep, at least within reason, the current production thread on that film. But chat about future films would always have its own thread. I'd much rather give that a shot that continue here about all things. Again, I value having a current Bond film production thread.

@TR007, I hear you but this thread gets cluttered with other discussion anyway. It goes way off topic; that just naturally happens.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Getafix
    Wouldn't that be awesome? :D

directed by Tarantino? or Wes Anderson?
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 6,601
    So - I really believe the vote is to reopen the 36 thread. What is the problem? Me as the one suggedting it? People are sick of reading about 26 in here, dont you think?