No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    Fantastic news. I hope many worries are being put to rest right now.

Only when you change the thread title will we believe it's true.

The franchise depends on you Jake.
  • RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Ive probably asked this question before but is Boyle a fan of James Bond? I ask because a Bond director must always know their bond history. Thats a must for me.
    A bigger one than Mendes was by all accounts. Boyle has gone on record as saying he read all the Fleming books multiple times and was a huge fan of the movies. Of course that doesn't necessarily translate to him making the perfect Bond movie, but it's certainly comforting to know that at least it's a past and present passion of his.

I think Mendes was a bank holiday Bond fan.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    NicNac wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Fantastic news. I hope many worries are being put to rest right now.

Only when you change the thread title will we believe it's true.

The franchise depends on you Jake.
    On it.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Ive probably asked this question before but is Boyle a fan of James Bond? I ask because a Bond director must always know their bond history. Thats a must for me.
    A bigger one than Mendes was by all accounts. Boyle has gone on record as saying he read all the Fleming books multiple times and was a huge fan of the movies. Of course that doesn't necessarily translate to him making the perfect Bond movie, but it's certainly comforting to know that at least it's a past and present passion of his.

I think Mendes was a bank holiday Bond fan.
    Ha ha. Great remark. I think perhaps you are right @RC7.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Annapurna's reponce to today's news:

Megan Ellison tweeted a picture of a martini glass and retweeted Deadline's article this morning

The Annapurna element is the thing that really excites me. However, I do have reservations about Boyle (he isn't quite 'on brand' for Annapurna) but he's a solid filmmaker with an infectious energy. He has also been on such a roll recently with Slumdog, 127 Hours, Trance, Steve Jobs and T2. That's a pretty incredible run of film.

But is he really what the flagging Bond franchise needs? He's in his 60s and Bond needs a youthful injection of energy (Perhaps an English director in his 60s is perfect for a story about an ageing Bond...). Danny would have been a cutting edge choice for Bond in the 1990s with Brosnan. But after the Mendes films (which were earnest and solemn), Boyle's trademark kineticism may seem a little odd.

I want to be proved wrong. Danny is a great filmmaker. He has such a cool style and energy. But whilst I am excited, my enthusiasm is a little caveated.

Boyle's history and status:

Boyle has a very interesting history with Bond.

- He was rumoured in the 90s. However, this was the era where Eon went with journeyman helmers and Boyle was a little too edgy at the time.
    - After Slumdog, he turned down QOS as he wanted to do more personal films. Also he is very open about not being a fan of 'big budget' filmmaking.
    - I understand that he was never on the list for SF. That was Mendes' gig from the get go.
    - He was offered Bond 24 but turned it down for the same reasons that he did QOS.

Eon have been after him for a very long time. He is undeniably the biggest name director to take on Bond. Sam Mendes was A-lister but Boyle is a national treasure. He is a star in his own right. I imagine when the time comes to market Bond 25, both Danny and Daniel will be front and centre. Danny Boyle will be the star of the show for all intents and purposes.

Boyle's past remarks:

Also, just for historic purposes here is a list of times Boyle has openly said he has no interest in directing Bond....slightly awkward now:

http://collider.com/trance-danny-boyle-james-bond-interview/
    https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Danny-Boyle-Interested-Being-Next-James-Bond-Director-36284.html
    http://www.indiewire.com/2013/03/danny-boyle-not-interested-in-bond-or-big-budget-tentpoles-once-contemplated-directing-alien-4-though-100768/
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/danny-boyle-trance_n_2998812?guccounter=1
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/04/danny-boyle-says-no-to-directing-bond-movies.html
    https://www.timeout.com/london/film/danny-boyle-goes-back-to-the-day-job
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I couldn't be happier that it's Universal and was holding out hope that it would be them. The tip off was that they are doing the musical and the schedules would be coordinated to accommodate both films, as per Baz's post from a few months back. The Sony era is finally over.

I wouldn't be surprised if potential future distribution was discussed as part of this arrangement as well. Meaning this 'one shot' arrangement is being used to see how everything works. Comcast (owner of Universal) would make an interesting acquirer of MGM down the road, and if everything goes well with B25, it is far more likely, because relationships will be established with all key parties, who in turn will approve such a potential arrangement.

I'm not fussed about arthouse Annapurna being involved. Their logo likely won't be anywhere. They are only there to support MGM's push back into domestic distribution.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Walecs wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Bounine wrote: »
    Just heard this confirmation of Danny Boyle directing on the radio. If these script rumors are true, it’s hard to muster any excitement for the film, what with a supposed protege and a villain having yet another personal connection to Bond.

I doubt they are. So far everything CashleyPersia reported was fake (he said Nolan would direct and Craig wouldn't return and recently affirmed Warner would distribute) or reported by someone else before he did (he said Boyle would direct after other tabloids/websites reported so).

There is no reason to believe the understudy and villain-with-personal-connection are true.

I wouldn't outright dismiss Cashley-- he's got a lot right too. He has been clear that the info he's picking up is industry chatter, so he can't give anything an official guarantee. He's passing on what he's been hearing. And he does sound like he does work in the film industry in some capacity.

Yet so far he only confirmed what other source had reported before him. Therefore his word is as good as mine and yours.

Okay...
    Sony’s out, which means goodbye to all their gadgets, right?! Please say so, because I’m tired of seeing the Vaio brand on screen.

I'm not a huge fan of their logo (I'd grown very accustomed to the Columbia lady)

I love Annapurna's more edgy logo though

Will international audiences still get the Annapurna logo alongside the MGM and Universal logos?

Annapurna's logo won't be on it, just MGM's as this is through their joint distribution venture. I don't think the US materials and US version of the film will have the Universal logo either as they're not distributing domestically. (Think how they don't have their logo on US versions of Focus Features films)

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    edited May 2018 Posts: 464
    From jamesbonddownunder today looks like jany temime is out

abdurahman wrote: »
    Sony’s out, which means goodbye to all their gadgets, right?! Please say so, because I’m tired of seeing the Vaio brand on screen.
    Excellent point which I hadn't considered. One can only hope so. I wouldn't want to see a surfeit of Apple junk either. Spread the love I say. I wish they'd dump Omega as well (and I say that as an Omega owner). Perhaps that will happen too, in time.
    From jamesbonddownunder today looks like jany tamine is out

This could be the best news I've read all year. Hooray!
    awesome news hopefully this puts doubters to rest

So will the press conference which announces the title be December 3rd as well?
    A bigger one than Mendes was by all accounts. Boyle has gone on record as saying he has read all the Fleming books multiple times and was a huge fan of the movies. Of course that doesn't necessarily translate to him making the perfect Bond movie, but it's certainly comforting to know that at least it's a past and present passion of his.
    Amazing. I trust he will give Craig a great final outing as Bond
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    awesome news hopefully this puts doubters to rest

So will the press conference which announces the title be December 3rd as well?

Probably, yes.
  • Great to finally get some news. Now , in the immortal words of monty python....
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I noticed that the Official Announcement said BOND 25 is Craig's "fifth outing", but does not say, final outing.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    From jamesbonddownunder today looks like jany temime is out

Apparently, Boyle has worked several times in his main projects, with one of these two Costume Designers: Suttirat Anne Larlarb or Rachel Fleming. I bet it's going to be the latter.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I noticed that the Official Announcement said BOND 25 is Craig's "fifth outing", but does not say, final outing.
    Perhaps he can break the record for oldest Bond as well as longest serving one?

Jokes aside, I'm sure it's better not to say 'final' at this point. Keep the media circus alive for a few more years. They get mileage out of it.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited May 2018 Posts: 292
    A BOND LIFE LESS ORDINARY - 24 Films Later why Danny Boyle is a perfect fit for 007's 25th bullet...

http://markoconnell.co.uk/directed-by-danny-boyle-24-films-later-the-brit-director-hopes-to-make-a-bond-life-less-ordinary/
    You know with Bond 25 coming out in 2019 and with the 60th anniversary coming 3 years later in 2022 I wouldn’t be surprised if they convince Craig to stay on for 1 more after this. He would only be 54 during filming of Bond 26 and he doesn’t look his age at all.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    You know with Bond 25 coming out in 2019 and with the 60th anniversary coming 3 years later in 2022 I wouldn’t be surprised if they convince Craig to stay on for 1 more after this. He would only be 54 during filming of Bond 26 and he doesn’t look his age at all.

I just had a crazy thought.
    Is it possible that when Daniel Craig said in the Colbert interview that this will be his last movie, they were still going by the Purvis and Wade script? And only afterwards, Boyle came around with Hodge and they had a great idea for a stand alone, which means, the "final movie" Craig was talking about is still being worked on by P&W and could be made afterwards?
    Any thoughts on that?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Now I don't want to see any tears shed when we don't have even more news a week from now, because there it is folks. Six months-ish until shooting, now we know.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,241
    antovolk wrote: »
    P&W basically took John Logan's plot outline for SP and rewrote the entire thing, omitting the "controversial" bits and filling the gaps of uninspired content (Ironic, isn't it?), but introduced the Brofeld angle in return.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’m aware SP wasn’t their baby, but at the same time it was the most stale Bond outing we had gotten in a long time - if not ever. Not enough new, good ideas about it. From my understanding of the original script and what we got, there were both good and bad changes made.

The more I read these comments, the more a mess SP looks like, from the production side of things. What we got on screen wasn't really good, either, if you ask me (SP is currently ranked last on my list). We can only hope Bond 25 will be a smooth production in comparison.
    Couple of questions:
    1. For someone who don't follow the whole studio thing, is 'Universal Pictures to partner on the worldwide release', as the statement says, the best solution, thinking about the other studios that might have got it instead?

The frontrunner for a long while was Warner Bros. By placing the Wonder Woman sequel directly in Bond's way they ruled themselves out, Universal was realistically the only option Sony aside (Fox is about to get acquired by Disney, Paramount and Disney didn't bid). What is interesting however is the fact that it's MGM self distributing via their Annapurna venture in the US. One would think that for a huge tentpole like this they'd want a single studio to handle global marketing and distribution but given Bond' MGM association does make sense for them to try use B25 as part of their comeback to distribution. I'm guessing it will be a joint effort between the marketing bosses at Annapurna/MGM and Universal to coordinate everything and make sure everyone's on the same page with regards to the content. So more coordination will be required as there are more parties to please here.

Thanks, that's an interesting read. Guess it looks like a reasonable way of doing the marketing and distribution. Know next to nothing about Annapurna; hopefully their involvement won't be a negative one.

If anything it's a positive. They've got a great rep in the indie world, they are still only building their distribution network in the US but the fact that they're essentially being MGM's new distribution backend is interesting. But I'm sure it'll be all good. Coming from an indie background means they are willing to take more risks and be more inventive marketing wise, working with Universal means they have more global scale with the campaign.

A couple facts I forgot to mention, obviously Universal is already working with Boyle on the Beatles musical (and I wouldn't be surprised if Boyle did weigh in on this, makes the whole PR aspect for him a lot easier if same team manages both the films he's got coming out within a month and a bit of each other), and the Sony marketing execs who worked on the previous Craig films are now at Annapurna.

True that an indie background can make way for some untraditional ways of marketing. Will be interesting to see what they can bring to the table.

Didn't know that Universal were working on the Boyle Beatles musical. Having that one and Bond 25 under the same studio can be a positive, as the marketing of both films can be planned accordingly.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,964
    00Agent wrote: »

Is it possible that when Daniel Craig said in the Colbert interview that this will be his last movie, they were still going by the Purvis and Wade script? And only afterwards, Boyle came around with Hodge and they had a great idea for a stand alone, which means, the "final movie" Craig was talking about is still being worked on by P&W and could be made afterwards?
    Any thoughts on that?

I could see that happening. Unless the Boyle story is just so good to end your Bond run on. I can see the P & W story being put on hold to film this story then coming back to theirs in 2022.

This reminds of me interviews Babs did after QOS where she said Bond 23 would countine the story of QOS
    Would complete a trilogy. Then Mendes came on board with his own ideas/story and sky fall became a stand alone Bond at the time. And then eventually they finished the QOS story with SP while tying in SF with it.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited May 2018 Posts: 1,755
    Interesting about Jany Temime. Not sure how I feel about her not returning, as I am very, very fond of Tom Ford. Hopefully they keep the brand for the next film, but alter the fit to resemble QoS.

Any thoughts on that?

I could see that happening. Unless the Boyle story is just so good to end your Bond run on. I can see the P & W story being out on hold to film this story then coming back to theirs in 2022.

This reminds of me interviews Babs did after QOS where she said Bond 23 would countine the story of QOS
    Would complete a trilogy. Then Mendes came on board with his own ideas/story and sky fall became a stand alone Bond at the time. And then eventually they finished the QOS story with SP while tying in SF with it.

Cheap and lazy thinking.

I'm the opposite,i think he is ageing fast and wouldn't be convicing for 2022.
    They need a new Bond and a new direction for B26 imo.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185

Any thoughts on that?

I could see that happening. Unless the Boyle story is just so good to end your Bond run on. I can see the P & W story being put on hold to film this story then coming back to theirs in 2022.

Right, forgot about that. So it is entirely possible that Boyle and Hodge have a great standalone in the works, and afterwards we could get another sequel-suckfest from P&W lol. Will be very interesting to see Craigs reaction to the question whether he comes back on the next press tour. He won't be able to dodge it this time with "i don't know, we'll see what happens".
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 40,368
    No return of Temime either? Excellent, no more vacuum-sealed suits for Craig. This is a good news day.
    Well, great to finally have some news. Jany Temime not coming back is another potentially positive development.

I must say on further reflection, I'm now less positive about the rumored understudy idea. It's not bad but if you want to play with the formula, there are more interesting ways to do it and it's something that's likely to get handled the wrong way. So if that Reddit fellow is wrong about that, I'm cool with it.

Since we're about to enter a phase where we'll get more significant casting and story rumors, I may just choose to depart this thread until November 2019. I went to see Spectre basically spoiler-free and it paid off very well. I want to try it again. It reminds me of those happy internet-free childhood years when I'd eagerly await the next Bond VHS my dad would rent to watch at home. I would let my imagination run wild in the meantime. There's nothing like that, I tell you.

---
    The frontrunner for a long while was Warner Bros. By placing the Wonder Woman sequel directly in Bond's way they ruled themselves out, Universal was realistically the only option Sony aside (Fox is about to get acquired by Disney, Paramount and Disney didn't bid).
    Though the Deadline article says "Warner Bros chased it hard as did Paramount." :-?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    And so, all the anxiety and fear, over Boyle's schedule and MGM's leadership and Rachels' pregnancy, can melt away...and we become shiny happy (Bond) people again!!!