Bond 25 Production Diary

Comments

I have no idea when they’d roll out the cast to present to the media.
    Well everyone can start breathing again. It was getting quite edgy coming on this thread.
    Confirmed dates are great news. I agree I'll miss the Columbia lady..but we are off and running.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 437
    peter wrote: »
    When they say that production is starting on 3 December, do they mean principal photography or the press announcement?

Principal photography-- first day of shooting: Dec 3.

So that means that the announcement(s) will be the week before, since the 3rd is a Monday.

SPECTRE's was on a Thursday IIRC.. B25's presumably on 29 November then?

Why not on Monday? The pressconference will be on mondaymorning, I guess. Then in the afternoon they start shooting. With Skyfall they also started principal photography on the same day as the press conference.
    Monday is a regular working day, that means more press will be able to attend the conference.
    Finally we have some news!!!! We are all set to go baby. 2019 is set and stone baring something bad happening. Now we just wait to hear the casting rumors
    I was unbelievably happy to wake up to that official tweet!
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2018 Posts: 9,881
    When they say that production is starting on 3 December, do they mean principal photography or the press announcement?

Principal photography-- first day of shooting: Dec 3.

So that means that the announcement(s) will be the week before, since the 3rd is a Monday.

SPECTRE's was on a Thursday IIRC.. B25's presumably on 29 November then?

SP was Friday 5th December. Principal photography commenced on Monday 8th. Wouldn’t be surprised if the conference follows the same pattern and takes place on Friday Nov 30.

Scrub that, it was the Thursday actually. I got married on the Saturday and for some reason I always think it was the day before.
    Ive probably asked this question before but is Boyle a fan of James Bond? I ask because a Bond director must always know their bond history. Thats a must for me.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Walecs wrote: »
    Bounine wrote: »
    Just heard this confirmation of Danny Boyle directing on the radio. If these script rumors are true, it’s hard to muster any excitement for the film, what with a supposed protege and a villain having yet another personal connection to Bond.

I doubt they are. So far everything CashleyPersia reported was fake (he said Nolan would direct and Craig wouldn't return and recently affirmed Warner would distribute) or reported by someone else before he did (he said Boyle would direct after other tabloids/websites reported so).

There is no reason to believe the understudy and villain-with-personal-connection are true.

I wouldn't outright dismiss Cashley-- he's got a lot right too. He has been clear that the info he's picking up is industry chatter, so he can't give anything an official guarantee. He's passing on what he's been hearing. And he does sound like he does work in the film industry in some capacity.

Yet so far he only confirmed what other source had reported before him. Therefore his word is as good as mine and yours.
  • 00Agent00Agent "Relaxing at his usual suite in the Steinberger Hotel in Vienna."
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,756
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Ive probably asked this question before but is Boyle a fan of James Bond? I ask because a Bond director must always know their bond history. Thats a must for me.

He read Fleming in his teens and always praised the books in interviews.
    So in short, yes. I'm sure he knows what this franchise is about.
    I think he will want to channel his inner adolecent fanboy in this movie.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 2,879
    A bigger one than Mendes was by all accounts. Boyle has gone on record as saying he has read all the Fleming books multiple times and was a huge fan of the movies. Of course that doesn't necessarily translate to him making the perfect Bond movie, but it's certainly comforting to know that at least it's a past and present passion of his.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Fantastic news. I hope many worries are being put to rest right now.
  • NicNacNicNac Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »

Only when you change the thread title will we believe it's true.

The franchise depends on you Jake.
  • RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote: »
    A bigger one than Mendes was by all accounts. Boyle has gone on record as saying he read all the Fleming books multiple times and was a huge fan of the movies. Of course that doesn't necessarily translate to him making the perfect Bond movie, but it's certainly comforting to know that at least it's a past and present passion of his.

I think Mendes was a bank holiday Bond fan.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    NicNac wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

Only when you change the thread title will we believe it's true.

The franchise depends on you Jake.
    On it.
    RC7 wrote: »
    A bigger one than Mendes was by all accounts. Boyle has gone on record as saying he read all the Fleming books multiple times and was a huge fan of the movies. Of course that doesn't necessarily translate to him making the perfect Bond movie, but it's certainly comforting to know that at least it's a past and present passion of his.

I think Mendes was a bank holiday Bond fan.
    Ha ha. Great remark. I think perhaps you are right @RC7.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,007
    Annapurna's reponce to today's news:

Megan Ellison tweeted a picture of a martini glass and retweeted Deadline's article this morning

The Annapurna element is the thing that really excites me. However, I do have reservations about Boyle (he isn't quite 'on brand' for Annapurna) but he's a solid filmmaker with an infectious energy. He has also been on such a roll recently with Slumdog, 127 Hours, Trance, Steve Jobs and T2. That's a pretty incredible run of film.

But is he really what the flagging Bond franchise needs? He's in his 60s and Bond needs a youthful injection of energy (Perhaps an English director in his 60s is perfect for a story about an ageing Bond...). Danny would have been a cutting edge choice for Bond in the 1990s with Brosnan. But after the Mendes films (which were earnest and solemn), Boyle's trademark kineticism may seem a little odd.

I want to be proved wrong. Danny is a great filmmaker. He has such a cool style and energy. But whilst I am excited, my enthusiasm is a little caveated.

Boyle's history and status:

Boyle has a very interesting history with Bond.

- He was rumoured in the 90s. However, this was the era where Eon went with journeyman helmers and Boyle was a little too edgy at the time.
    - After Slumdog, he turned down QOS as he wanted to do more personal films. Also he is very open about not being a fan of 'big budget' filmmaking.
    - I understand that he was never on the list for SF. That was Mendes' gig from the get go.
    - He was offered Bond 24 but turned it down for the same reasons that he did QOS.

Eon have been after him for a very long time. He is undeniably the biggest name director to take on Bond. Sam Mendes was A-lister but Boyle is a national treasure. He is a star in his own right. I imagine when the time comes to market Bond 25, both Danny and Daniel will be front and centre. Danny Boyle will be the star of the show for all intents and purposes.

Boyle's past remarks:

Also, just for historic purposes here is a list of times Boyle has openly said he has no interest in directing Bond....slightly awkward now:

http://collider.com/trance-danny-boyle-james-bond-interview/
    https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Danny-Boyle-Interested-Being-Next-James-Bond-Director-36284.html
    http://www.indiewire.com/2013/03/danny-boyle-not-interested-in-bond-or-big-budget-tentpoles-once-contemplated-directing-alien-4-though-100768/
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/danny-boyle-trance_n_2998812?guccounter=1
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/04/danny-boyle-says-no-to-directing-bond-movies.html
    https://www.timeout.com/london/film/danny-boyle-goes-back-to-the-day-job
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I couldn't be happier that it's Universal and was holding out hope that it would be them. The tip off was that they are doing the musical and the schedules would be coordinated to accommodate both films, as per Baz's post from a few months back. The Sony era is finally over.

I wouldn't be surprised if potential future distribution was discussed as part of this arrangement as well. Meaning this 'one shot' arrangement is being used to see how everything works. Comcast (owner of Universal) would make an interesting acquirer of MGM down the road, and if everything goes well with B25, it is far more likely, because relationships will be established with all key parties, who in turn will approve such a potential arrangement.

I'm not fussed about arthouse Annapurna being involved. Their logo likely won't be anywhere. They are only there to support MGM's push back into domestic distribution.
    Bounine wrote: »
    Just heard this confirmation of Danny Boyle directing on the radio. If these script rumors are true, it’s hard to muster any excitement for the film, what with a supposed protege and a villain having yet another personal connection to Bond.

I doubt they are. So far everything CashleyPersia reported was fake (he said Nolan would direct and Craig wouldn't return and recently affirmed Warner would distribute) or reported by someone else before he did (he said Boyle would direct after other tabloids/websites reported so).

There is no reason to believe the understudy and villain-with-personal-connection are true.

I wouldn't outright dismiss Cashley-- he's got a lot right too. He has been clear that the info he's picking up is industry chatter, so he can't give anything an official guarantee. He's passing on what he's been hearing. And he does sound like he does work in the film industry in some capacity.

Yet so far he only confirmed what other source had reported before him. Therefore his word is as good as mine and yours.

Okay...
    Sony’s out, which means goodbye to all their gadgets, right?! Please say so, because I’m tired of seeing the Vaio brand on screen.

I'm not a huge fan of their logo (I'd grown very accustomed to the Columbia lady)

I love Annapurna's more edgy logo though

Will international audiences still get the Annapurna logo alongside the MGM and Universal logos?

Annapurna's logo won't be on it, just MGM's as this is through their joint distribution venture. I don't think the US materials and US version of the film will have the Universal logo either as they're not distributing domestically. (Think how they don't have their logo on US versions of Focus Features films)

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    edited May 2018 Posts: 464
    From jamesbonddownunder today looks like jany temime is out

abdurahman wrote: »
    Sony’s out, which means goodbye to all their gadgets, right?! Please say so, because I’m tired of seeing the Vaio brand on screen.
    Excellent point which I hadn't considered. One can only hope so. I wouldn't want to see a surfeit of Apple junk either. Spread the love I say. I wish they'd dump Omega as well (and I say that as an Omega owner). Perhaps that will happen too, in time.
    From jamesbonddownunder today looks like jany tamine is out

This could be the best news I've read all year. Hooray!
    awesome news hopefully this puts doubters to rest

So will the press conference which announces the title be December 3rd as well?
    A bigger one than Mendes was by all accounts. Boyle has gone on record as saying he has read all the Fleming books multiple times and was a huge fan of the movies. Of course that doesn't necessarily translate to him making the perfect Bond movie, but it's certainly comforting to know that at least it's a past and present passion of his.
    Amazing. I trust he will give Craig a great final outing as Bond
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    awesome news hopefully this puts doubters to rest

So will the press conference which announces the title be December 3rd as well?

Probably, yes.
  • Great to finally get some news. Now , in the immortal words of monty python....
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I noticed that the Official Announcement said BOND 25 is Craig's "fifth outing", but does not say, final outing.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    From jamesbonddownunder today looks like jany temime is out

Apparently, Boyle has worked several times in his main projects, with one of these two Costume Designers: Suttirat Anne Larlarb or Rachel Fleming. I bet it's going to be the latter.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I noticed that the Official Announcement said BOND 25 is Craig's "fifth outing", but does not say, final outing.
    Perhaps he can break the record for oldest Bond as well as longest serving one?

Jokes aside, I'm sure it's better not to say 'final' at this point. Keep the media circus alive for a few more years. They get mileage out of it.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited May 2018 Posts: 267
    A BOND LIFE LESS ORDINARY - 24 Films Later why Danny Boyle is a perfect fit for 007's 25th bullet...

http://markoconnell.co.uk/directed-by-danny-boyle-24-films-later-the-brit-director-hopes-to-make-a-bond-life-less-ordinary/