No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I noticed that the Official Announcement said BOND 25 is Craig's "fifth outing", but does not say, final outing.
    You know with Bond 25 coming out in 2019 and with the 60th anniversary coming 3 years later in 2022 I wouldn’t be surprised if they convince Craig to stay on for 1 more after this. He would only be 54 during filming of Bond 26 and he doesn’t look his age at all.

• 00Agent00Agent Has no problem with female authority.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 4,625
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I noticed that the Official Announcement said BOND 25 is Craig's "fifth outing", but does not say, final outing.
    You know with Bond 25 coming out in 2019 and with the 60th anniversary coming 3 years later in 2022 I wouldn’t be surprised if they convince Craig to stay on for 1 more after this. He would only be 54 during filming of Bond 26 and he doesn’t look his age at all.

I just had a crazy thought.
    Is it possible that when Daniel Craig said in the Colbert interview that this will be his last movie, they were still going by the Purvis and Wade script? And only afterwards, Boyle came around with Hodge and they had a great idea for a stand alone, which means, the "final movie" Craig was talking about is still being worked on by P&W and could be made afterwards?
    Any thoughts on that?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Now I don't want to see any tears shed when we don't have even more news a week from now, because there it is folks. Six months-ish until shooting, now we know.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,877
    antovolk wrote: »
    P&W basically took John Logan's plot outline for SP and rewrote the entire thing, omitting the "controversial" bits and filling the gaps of uninspired content (Ironic, isn't it?), but introduced the Brofeld angle in return.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’m aware SP wasn’t their baby, but at the same time it was the most stale Bond outing we had gotten in a long time - if not ever. Not enough new, good ideas about it. From my understanding of the original script and what we got, there were both good and bad changes made.

The more I read these comments, the more a mess SP looks like, from the production side of things. What we got on screen wasn't really good, either, if you ask me (SP is currently ranked last on my list). We can only hope Bond 25 will be a smooth production in comparison.
    Couple of questions:
    1. For someone who don't follow the whole studio thing, is 'Universal Pictures to partner on the worldwide release', as the statement says, the best solution, thinking about the other studios that might have got it instead?

The frontrunner for a long while was Warner Bros. By placing the Wonder Woman sequel directly in Bond's way they ruled themselves out, Universal was realistically the only option Sony aside (Fox is about to get acquired by Disney, Paramount and Disney didn't bid). What is interesting however is the fact that it's MGM self distributing via their Annapurna venture in the US. One would think that for a huge tentpole like this they'd want a single studio to handle global marketing and distribution but given Bond' MGM association does make sense for them to try use B25 as part of their comeback to distribution. I'm guessing it will be a joint effort between the marketing bosses at Annapurna/MGM and Universal to coordinate everything and make sure everyone's on the same page with regards to the content. So more coordination will be required as there are more parties to please here.

Thanks, that's an interesting read. Guess it looks like a reasonable way of doing the marketing and distribution. Know next to nothing about Annapurna; hopefully their involvement won't be a negative one.

If anything it's a positive. They've got a great rep in the indie world, they are still only building their distribution network in the US but the fact that they're essentially being MGM's new distribution backend is interesting. But I'm sure it'll be all good. Coming from an indie background means they are willing to take more risks and be more inventive marketing wise, working with Universal means they have more global scale with the campaign.

A couple facts I forgot to mention, obviously Universal is already working with Boyle on the Beatles musical (and I wouldn't be surprised if Boyle did weigh in on this, makes the whole PR aspect for him a lot easier if same team manages both the films he's got coming out within a month and a bit of each other), and the Sony marketing execs who worked on the previous Craig films are now at Annapurna.

True that an indie background can make way for some untraditional ways of marketing. Will be interesting to see what they can bring to the table.

Didn't know that Universal were working on the Boyle Beatles musical. Having that one and Bond 25 under the same studio can be a positive, as the marketing of both films can be planned accordingly.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,722
    00Agent wrote: »

Is it possible that when Daniel Craig said in the Colbert interview that this will be his last movie, they were still going by the Purvis and Wade script? And only afterwards, Boyle came around with Hodge and they had a great idea for a stand alone, which means, the "final movie" Craig was talking about is still being worked on by P&W and could be made afterwards?
    Any thoughts on that?

I could see that happening. Unless the Boyle story is just so good to end your Bond run on. I can see the P & W story being put on hold to film this story then coming back to theirs in 2022.

This reminds of me interviews Babs did after QOS where she said Bond 23 would countine the story of QOS
    Would complete a trilogy. Then Mendes came on board with his own ideas/story and sky fall became a stand alone Bond at the time. And then eventually they finished the QOS story with SP while tying in SF with it.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited May 2018 Posts: 1,354
    Interesting about Jany Temime. Not sure how I feel about her not returning, as I am very, very fond of Tom Ford. Hopefully they keep the brand for the next film, but alter the fit to resemble QoS.

Any thoughts on that?

I could see that happening. Unless the Boyle story is just so good to end your Bond run on. I can see the P & W story being out on hold to film this story then coming back to theirs in 2022.

This reminds of me interviews Babs did after QOS where she said Bond 23 would countine the story of QOS
    Would complete a trilogy. Then Mendes came on board with his own ideas/story and sky fall became a stand alone Bond at the time. And then eventually they finished the QOS story with SP while tying in SF with it.

Cheap and lazy thinking.

I'm the opposite,i think he is ageing fast and wouldn't be convicing for 2022.
    They need a new Bond and a new direction for B26 imo.

Any thoughts on that?

I could see that happening. Unless the Boyle story is just so good to end your Bond run on. I can see the P & W story being put on hold to film this story then coming back to theirs in 2022.

Right, forgot about that. So it is entirely possible that Boyle and Hodge have a great standalone in the works, and afterwards we could get another sequel-suckfest from P&W lol. Will be very interesting to see Craigs reaction to the question whether he comes back on the next press tour. He won't be able to dodge it this time with "i don't know, we'll see what happens".
    edited May 2018 Posts: 32,517
    No return of Temime either? Excellent, no more vacuum-sealed suits for Craig. This is a good news day.
  • mattjoesmattjoes I don't even have a caption for this nonsense
    Well, great to finally have some news. Jany Temime not coming back is another potentially positive development.

I must say on further reflection, I'm now less positive about the rumored understudy idea. It's not bad but if you want to play with the formula, there are more interesting ways to do it and it's something that's likely to get handled the wrong way. So if that Reddit fellow is wrong about that, I'm cool with it.

Since we're about to enter a phase where we'll get more significant casting and story rumors, I may just choose to depart this thread until November 2019. I went to see Spectre basically spoiler-free and it paid off very well. I want to try it again. It reminds me of those happy internet-free childhood years when I'd eagerly await the next Bond VHS my dad would rent to watch at home. I would let my imagination run wild in the meantime. There's nothing like that, I tell you.

---
    The frontrunner for a long while was Warner Bros. By placing the Wonder Woman sequel directly in Bond's way they ruled themselves out, Universal was realistically the only option Sony aside (Fox is about to get acquired by Disney, Paramount and Disney didn't bid).
    Though the Deadline article says "Warner Bros chased it hard as did Paramount." :-?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    And so, all the anxiety and fear, over Boyle's schedule and MGM's leadership and Rachels' pregnancy, can melt away...and we become shiny happy (Bond) people again!!!

I do hope CashleyPersia was wrong on the story details as I wasn't liking anything he was sharing, sans the female villain idea (and even with that, I'd envision someone like Tilda Swinton or Frances McDormand over Angelina Jolie like he said). I guess we'll have an idea by the end of the year, though I take my leave once the production heats up.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Since we're about to enter a phase where we'll get more significant casting and story rumors, I may just choose to depart this thread until November 2019. I went to see Spectre basically spoiler-free and it paid off very well. I want to try it again. It reminds me of those happy internet-free childhood years when I'd eagerly await the next Bond VHS my dad would rent to watch at home. I would let my imagination run wild in the meantime. There's nothing like that, I tell you.

Wish i had your discipline bro. I want to do the same actually, we will see how it works out. I will watch the Press Event in December but probably shut off until the movie comes out. I want to make this one big, so i am flying to the premiere in London.
  • mattjoesmattjoes I don't even have a caption for this nonsense
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,569

Wish i had your discipline bro. I want to do the same actually, we will see how it works out. I will watch the Press Event in Dezember but probably shut off until the movie comes out. I want to make this one big, so i am flying to the premiere in London.
    Exciting! You'll have to tell me everything afterwards.

If I choose to go spoiler-free, I'll do it before the press event. I won't want to know what the film is called (though I'll have to, eventually), what it's about, who's in it, who's doing the music... No trailers, posters, photos, nada. If it's great I'll want to find out in the theater. Same if it's terrible. It's going to be more complicated than with Spectre. Back in 2015, I wasn't posting here (and I don't intend to leave). But anyway, it's all about learning to avert your eyes from the spoilerific text. After a while, one gets used to it. But even with those intentions it's going to be impossible to learn something. One just runs by accident into the news on the internet, and off the internet!

But you can try it. We can create a support group for those in Bond 25-related abstinence. We can talk about the situation; let it all out, sing some songs.
    I know even if I avoid the forums that I'll still manage to see some casting information/location confirmations, so my aim is to avoid heavy plot details/any BTS videos and whatnot. I'd LOVE to avoid all the trailers and go in blind but I'm not sure I have the willpower to do so. Either way, I'm not reading into it like I did the last two.

Wish i had your discipline bro. I want to do the same actually, we will see how it works out. I will watch the Press Event in Dezember but probably shut off until the movie comes out. I want to make this one big, so i am flying to the premiere in London.

If I choose to go spoiler-free, I'll do it before the press event. I won't want to know what the film is called (though I'll have to, eventually), what it's about, who's in it, who's doing the music... No trailers, posters, photos, nada. If it's great I'll want to find out in the theater. Same if it's terrible. It's going to be more complicated than with Spectre. Back in 2015, I wasn't posting here (and I don't intend to leave). But anyway, it's all about learning to avert your eyes from the spoilerific text. After a while, one gets used to it. But even with those intentions it's going to be impossible to learn something. One just runs by accident into the news on the internet, and off the internet!

But you can try it. We can create a support group for those in Bond 25-related abstinence. We can talk about the situation; let it all out, sing some songs.

Haha thats a great idea for a thread! I'm in.
    I need a sort of withdrawl from twitter and facebook newsfeeds anyway.
    Just a thread where we can exchange recipes and keep it light and fun.

And there is only one rule. NO BOND25 talk.
    I wonder who Boyle is going to bring on to compose the score? All I ask it’s someone different than Newman and Arnold
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 459
    They need to do a nod to Moonraker for B25 with their spatial logo, like this (or with just a moonraker shutlle on the background, but nope the body of Drax) :

Bond-25-annonce-distrib.png?fit=1000%2C499
    I wonder who Boyle is going to bring on to compose the score? All I ask it’s someone different than Newman and Arnold

Pemberton would be amazing.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I know even if I avoid the forums that I'll still manage to see some casting information/location confirmations, so my aim is to avoid heavy plot details/any BTS videos and whatnot. I'd LOVE to avoid all the trailers and go in blind but I'm not sure I have the willpower to do so. Either way, I'm not reading into it like I did the last two.

Same here.
    But I know I will have to know the title and the cast,there is no way I could hold out against that.
    Also the artist,the song and the teaser trailers I find I cant resist.
    The rest (whatevers left haha) I should be able to avoid.
    I found myself checking out the BTS videos and almost piecing together the entirety of SP before it released, which wasn't fun in the end. I might limit myself to a teaser trailer and leave it at that, but the less I know going in, the better.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Haha thats a great idea for a thread! I'm in.
    I need a sort of withdrawl from twitter and facebook newsfeeds anyway.
    Just a thread where we can exchange recipes and keep it light and fun.

And there is only one rule. NO BOND25 talk.
    Count me in if you guys create one. I'll be departing this thread towards the end of the year. I look forward to a 'relatively' spoiler free B25 viewing experience.

Pemberton would be amazing.
    He wouldn't be my first choice but I'll take him over Newman or Arnold. I can see Pemberton fitting the Boyle style of film making.
    I would love to have Arnold back,personally.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I would love to have Arnold back,personally.

Likewise. Having previously worked with Boyle before, I'd love for Arnold to return and give Craig a bombastic Bond score!
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Regarding the new Costume Designer. Here are the recent jobs from Boyle favourites:

Suttirat Anne Larlarb
    -Steve Jobs
    - Trance
    - Who Wants To Be A Millionare
    - Sunshine

Rachel Fleming
    - Trainspotting 1
    - Trainspotting 2
    - The Beach
    - 28 Days Later
    - For A Life Less Ordinary
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,185
    From jamesbonddownunder today looks like jany temime is out
    She mentioned that "Sadly I am not doing the next Bond, being busy with another great project", also adding 'I am sure the next designer will be wonderful". Tamime most recently worked with EON Productions on last year's "Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool'.

That other big project can be The Kid Who Would Be King (2019).

For Dutch speaking people, promoted Spectre:

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I couldn't be more excited, and the fact that they start production on my birthday (December 3) makes me more excited :D
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    I’m going to try my absolute best to avoid as many spoilers as possible. Will watch the teaser trailer and try to leave it at that.

It will be torture, but I know I enjoy watching films so much more when I am unspoiled.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    bondjames wrote: »
    From jamesbonddownunder today looks like jany tamine is out

This could be the best news I've read all year. Hooray!

Indeed! Boyle was a sure thing so no surprise there, but I really didn't expect Temime is out. Great news!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    So much of the last 10+ years is being cleansed away, slowly. I find it very refreshing and am looking forward to what comes next. New beginnings.
    bondjames wrote: »
    From jamesbonddownunder today looks like jany tamine is out

This could be the best news I've read all year. Hooray!

Indeed! Boyle was a sure thing so no surprise there, but I really didn't expect Temime is out. Great news!
    I sincerely hope whoever replaces her doesn't go for the spandex cut again.