No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Quite liked the acton sequences in the Brosnan era, actually.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Beats anything the Mendes era brought.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Indeed. Action is one of the Brosnan era's strongest positives.
    Indeed. Action is one of the Brosnan era's strongest positives.
    +1. Hear hear!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Now to get David Arnold and Lindy Hemming's back and I'll be really happy.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Hiring Vic doesn't mean anything at this stage. Probably just taking him of the market. Until they have a proper script finished, and a distributor in place, there can be no progress.
    Hiring Vic doesn't mean anything at this stage. Probably just taking him of the market. Until they have a proper script finished, and a distributor in place, there can be no progress.

Did you listen to Peter. Seems to me, he knows what he is talking about. People like him dont let themselves being taken off the markett just like this.

And yes @Murdock. Arnold snd Lindy.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Credit to those that keep nothing going, Mid summer I think we will get news.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    No. He wasn't involved since DAD.
    And this is why am bit deflated Now! I don't rate Armstrong at all! A throwback to the dreaded Brossa era... I always found his action sequences to be drawn out, tedious and without much invention. All gunfire and explosions..Yawn! .This is disappointing news! I would have preferred Dan Bradley to return.
    A subjective opinion, if one must.

Is there any other kind of opinion?
    octofinger wrote: »
    And this is why am bit deflated Now! I don't rate Armstrong at all! A throwback to the dreaded Brossa era... I always found his action sequences to be drawn out, tedious and without much invention. All gunfire and explosions..Yawn! .This is disappointing news! I would have preferred Dan Bradley to return.
    Yes. Factual. Lol!
    Yes. Factual. Lol!

ROFL.

Quite. It’s hard to think of a single original action scene in any of Brosnan’s movies. Not hard to come up with quite a few embarrassing ones though.
    Beats anything the Mendes era brought.

Not too difficult, considering there is hardly any in them.
    Hasn't it always been the case with the Bond movies that second unit will be planning and prepping the big action scenes months in advance of principal photography?
    The Mexico scene in SP being a prime example on having all systems go on the big action scene while the screenwriters are still trying to crack the rest of the story.
    did they crack it in the end then?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    As a women, the last thing I want in a Bond film is more women, especially to shut up the equality / me too crowd.

And I suspect the same people who complain about there not being a female Bond or not enough female characters, are the same ones who ignored 'Atomic Blonde' and the likes.

Good point Atomic Blonde and Red Sparrow both did okay business but hardly set the world alight yet I, an old fashioned bloke who assesses women mostly on their jugs, went to the cinema to see them both and had a great time. But a disgusting chauvinist like Bond is smashing it at the box office despite his 'rape' of sex trafficked Severine or shagging a widow just to get info out of her.

Is the Bond audience only made up of men who hate women or - shock horror - do most normal women (not the liberal PC #metoo brigade) actually enjoy Bond films too? To hit the billion dollar mark I would suspect the latter.
    peter wrote: »
    Like John Woo remaking his own THE KILLER with Lupita Nyong’o starring
    Seriously?

I'm with you mate. As if my expectations weren't low already I've just got on the express train to Underwhelmed Central.

Vic certainly a legend but went past his sell by date with TWINE and DAD nearly 20 years ago. The TWINE PTS stuff is decent (although Simon Crane did a lot of that) but the caviar factory and DAD hovercraft sequence feel like those choreographed stunt shows you get on Universal Studios tours.

This news is like when your club sacks the manager and you imagine exciting, innovative managers like Simeone or Allegri might come in and then they go for Big Sam or Pards.

B25 increasingly seems like a film that no one really wants and is just being made for the sake of it because Dan decided he was coming back. Once we get it out of the way let's clear the decks for Christ's sake and start from absolute scratch with both cast and crew as there's a stench of staleness around the whole place that was last smelled in 1985 as the Roger era limped to its conclusion.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,078
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    As a women, the last thing I want in a Bond film is more women, especially to shut up the equality / me too crowd.

And I suspect the same people who complain about there not being a female Bond or not enough female characters, are the same ones who ignored 'Atomic Blonde' and the likes.

Good point Atomic Blonde and Red Sparrow both did okay business but hardly set the world alight yet I, an old fashioned bloke who assesses women mostly on their jugs, went to the cinema to see them both and had a great time. But a disgusting chauvinist like Bond is smashing it at the box office despite his 'rape' of sex trafficked Severine or shagging a widow just to get info out of her.

Is the Bond audience only made up of men who hate women or - shock horror - do most normal women (not the liberal PC #metoo brigade) actually enjoy Bond films too? To hit the billion dollar mark I would suspect the latter.
    peter wrote: »
    Like John Woo remaking his own THE KILLER with Lupita Nyong’o starring
    Seriously?

I'm with you mate. As if my expectations weren't low already I've just got on the express train to Underwhelmed Central.

Vic certainly a legend but went past his sell by date with TWINE and DAD nearly 20 years ago. The TWINE PTS stuff is decent (although Simon Crane did a lot of that) but the caviar factory and DAD hovercraft sequence feel like those choreographed stunt shows you get on Universal Studios tours.

This news is like when your club sacks the manager and you imagine exciting, innovative managers like Simeone or Allegri might come in and then they go for Big Sam or Pards.

B25 increasingly seems like a film that no one really wants and is just being made for the sake of it because Dan decided he was coming back. Once we get it out of the way let's clear the decks for Christ's sake and start from absolute scratch with both cast and crew as there's a stench of staleness around the whole place that was last smelled in 1985 as the Roger era limped to its conclusion.

There is a sense of filling out an obligation surrounding this one, true. Like they've faffed around for long enoygh, and suddenly realised time is running out, they've got to show SOMETHING. :))
    Yes. Factual. Lol!

But then it's not an opinion, is it?
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 787

I want instinctively to say that you're being too cynical here, but frankly it's hard to disagree too much with what you've said. I'd chalk it up to at least two things:

1) They painted themselves into a hell of a corner with SP. There are all sorts of issues of plotting, tone, and characterization that will be hard to address. I be sweating if I were a script writer or director for B25. You're so constrained from the off.

2) EON - and I've said this many times - urgently need a hurdygurdy man to be shaking hands and kissing babies on their behalf. Even if what you say is true behind the scenes, the outward-looking face of EON should always be projecting excitement about the next film and passion for the legacy. Instead it's always "we don't know, nobody's told me anything, I'm too tired," etc.
    I don't see the problem with using Vic Armstrong again. He's been involved in much better movies outside of those lacklustre Brosnan Bond movies, even as a second-unit director. I'm surprised that Vic's not carrying the can for SP as well. There's just no pleasing some of you people. If B25 isn't up to snuff, it won't be because of the stunts alone. There'll be other factors far ahead of stunt coordination that'll ruin the overall experience of the movie, such as the script, direction, acting and tone. Just sayin'.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 252
    What happenend with Gary Powell? He was the stunt-coordinator for all Craig-Films
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    EON - and I've said this many times - urgently need a hurdygurdy man to be shaking hands and kissing babies on their behalf.

hitler-with-baby.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    If Vic Armstrong has signed on then things are obviously moving along nicely.
    People like Armstrong are always in hot demand, so he's not going to sign on if things aren't moving along.
    No reason to lose any sleep over Bond 25's production development yet.

Quite. It’s hard to think of a single original action scene in any of Brosnan’s movies. Not hard to come up with quite a few embarrassing ones though.
    Interesting, that´s complete news to me.

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Murdock wrote: »

Me too.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »
    That'd be great
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Anyone have any idea why they didn't go with Gary Powell this time? Surely he's more current with Bond? Is it just scheduling or something else?
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    David Arnold I would gladly welcome back with open arms Lindy Hemming who is that?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Lindy Hemming who is that?
    Costume designer on earlier Bond films including CR. Has an eye for putting our hero in well fitted suits, rather than spandex lookalikes that split in the pant section on set (which is what, regrettably and embarrasingly, happened with current designer Jany Temime's ill fitting concoctions during filming of SP).

Hemming is one of the best.
    Bond 25 will be under 130 minutes, shorter than Goldeneye and Living Daylights. We know that much since Boyle has never made a film longer than that.