No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Risico007 wrote: »
    No in my mind it’s not going to be. Period piece but it might have a 60’s vibe going for it if that makes sense

Isn't that Spectre? If you take away the modern context (surveillance debate post-Edward Snowden), SP was a massive throwback to the style of a 1960s Bond film. It looked very classic and old-school in this respect. Especially the stuff in Rome and on the train in Morocco. Even the Austrian stuff had a touch of Ken Adam and OHMSS to it.

This screenshot screams 1960 style

14ffc99861050d77a4c36a8b8e627ed3.jpg

Personally, I want the film to have a modern and sexy look. I want it to look like and feel like this video directed by Steve McQueen. I want that sexy modernity mixed with a touch of classism.

Can't we get Steve McQueen instead of Danny Boyle?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Is that ad supposed to inspire me to buy the product, or run the hell away from it? It's certainly doing the latter upon first viewing, especially with that whiny song.

I'm sure Boyle, if he is selected for this job, will deliver a film that's fresh and vibrant looking.

I don't personally think SP looks like a 1960's Bond film. In my view, the 60's Bond films looked far more modern in places than SP. The latest film had a deliberate retro flavour, but it evoked the 50's and even earlier in places imho, rather than the 60's Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Risico007 wrote: »
    No in my mind it’s not going to be. Period piece but it might have a 60’s vibe going for it if that makes sense

Isn't that Spectre? If you take away the modern context (surveillance debate post-Edward Snowden), SP was a massive throwback to the style of a 1960s Bond film. It looked very classic and old-school in this respect. Especially the stuff in Rome and on the train in Morocco. Even the Austrian stuff had a touch of Ken Adam and OHMSS to it.

This screenshot screams 1960 style

14ffc99861050d77a4c36a8b8e627ed3.jpg

Personally, I want the film to have a modern and sexy look. I want it to look like and feel like this video directed by Steve McQueen. I want that sexy modernity mixed with a touch of classism.

Can't we get Steve McQueen instead of Danny Boyle?

No. Danny Boyle is in. Unless there are some seriously unforeseen, cataclysmic events (staring through binoculars: none seen). He's in.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 5,767
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Sometimes a great "idea" for a new film is not always about its narrative.

Could you elaborate a little more, please, @CatchingBullets ? ;)

I'm surprised we're ignoring this quote and still arguing about Spectre...

@CatchingBullets Has strong links to Eon and has written books on Bond that have given huge behind-the-scenes scoops. I think @CatchingBullets comments pretty much confirm Boyle's 'great idea' is a Bond period piece.

I can almost guarantee we are getting a 1960s set film akin to X-Men: First Class. I'm totally down for a Bond concept album film, just a little sad we can't get it for the reboot. Also, can we have Michael Fassbender instead of Daniel Craig? Craig is a little too modern for the era.

xmen-first-class-movie-screencaps.com-1605.jpg
    Come to think of it, a period piece would fit in perfectly with the inconsistent tone of the Craig films, it could even give a tiny bit of sense to SF blatantly ignoring the setup CR-QoS provided.
    And no, Fassbender shouldn´t be it, it should be Craig. His haircut in SP already looked quite old school to me, well at least around the ears, much like on that picture released recently of Craig visiting an intelligence museum. And he couldn´t wear those tight suits in a period piece, that alone should suffice to justify ;-).

I dont know, how they could possibly do a period piece. But if this guy is right, we might still have the chance of a standalone thriller, which I would prefer - even though not totally against this young agent idea. Just againsg them going Logan.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They should get Jean Dujardin for Bond if they’re doing a period piece. :))

Yes!
    giphy.gif

Yes!
    giphy.gif

That’s mesmerising.
    vzok wrote: »

Yes!
    giphy.gif

That’s mesmerising.

If you haven't seen the OSS 117 films with Jean Dujardin, you definitely should!
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Jacques Bond!

speaking of which, is he still 'James' when translated into French?

I am assuming so. ditto he's not Diego in Spain... would be quite amusing tho
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    In response, just suggesting a bit of caution to believing everything in this demilitarized pre-movie zone of rumours and running with them.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    ...I think @CatchingBullets comments pretty much confirm Boyle's 'great idea' is a Bond period piece.

Didn't the teachers always say to not run with scissors.. and wild rumours regarding new franchise movies. I'm sure Bond did the Sixties thing already.
    Thanks for clearing up.
  • RC7RC7
    ...I think @CatchingBullets comments pretty much confirm Boyle's 'great idea' is a Bond period piece.

Didn't the teachers always say to not run with scissors.. and wild rumours regarding new franchise movies. I'm sure Bond did the Sixties thing already.

Very good.
    Where exactly is this B25 period piece rumor coming from?
  • RC7RC7
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Just ignore it. Classic MI6 bullshit vortex.
    RC7 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Just ignore it. Classic MI6 bullshit vortex.

Thanks.
    vzok wrote: »

Yes!
    giphy.gif

That’s mesmerising.
    +1. Get this guy for Bond I say. He's got something to him imho, and not just a Connery'esque receding hairline.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Exotic good looks? Look at those hands! The right one, anyway.

Heck, if there is a gold medal for worst photoshop attempt of 2018, that's the winner!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Ben Whishaw ‘thrilled’ by Danny Boyle’s involvement in Bond 25
    metro.co.uk/2018/05/11/ben-whishaw-thrilled-danny-boyles-involvement-bond-25-7536555/

Speaking to Metro.co.uk, Whishaw said: ‘I just think it’s really exciting. I was thrilled when I read that he was going to be doing it. I can’t think of a better, more exciting fit for Daniel [Craig] and for the way he’s taken the character and everything.

‘It seems weird to talk about it because I’ve not had a conversation about it, so it may or may not, who knows what’s going to happen.’

Asked if he’ll definitely appear, Whishaw added: ‘Yes I believe I’m contracted to be in it… but I think it’s not happening until the end of the year. I know as much as you do.’

Is his contract on a film by film basis, or is it a three picture deal?
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Whishaw said: ‘I just think it’s really exciting. I was thrilled when I read that he was going to be doing it.

:)) It seems, just like Moneypenny, Q won't return in Bond 25.

Red_Snow wrote: »
    Whishaw said: ‘I just think it’s really exciting. I was thrilled when I read that he was going to be doing it.

:)) It seems, just like Moneypenny, Q won't return in Bond 25.
    Quite possibly. They all seem to have been left out of the loop. I'd be fine with that but it does raise further questions about this so called 'golden idea' of Boyle's. It's either going to work brilliantly or possibly fall flat on its face. Let's hope for the former after this long wait.
    Leaving out Q, Moneypenny, and maybe M too... all speculation, of course, but it could be a bold idea that pays off.
  • RC7RC7
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Leaving out Q, Moneypenny, and maybe M too... all speculation, of course, but it could be a bold idea that pays off.

Except the general audience would either not notice, or give it a fleeting thought and move on. Hardly grounds for a ‘bold idea’.

2011: “What’s the hook?” “We’re going to kill ‘M’!”

2018: “What’s the hook?” “We’re not going to have M in it!”

Except the general audience would either not notice, or give it a fleeting thought and move on. Hardly grounds for a ‘bold idea’.

It would be the first time we didn’t get any of the MI6 regulars in a Bond film. Counts as bold if it happens. And if it does happen, it would surely just be the beginning of Boyle’s idea. But I’m not getting ahead of myself; the actors may just not have been contacted yet is all.
  • RC7RC7

It would be the first time we didn’t get any of the MI6 regulars in a Bond film. Counts as bold if it happens. And if it does happen, it would surely just be the beginning of Boyle’s idea. But I’m not getting ahead of myself; the actors may just not have been contacted yet is all.

You get my point.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Danny Boyle just gave a talk at a school and it seems as though people asked him about Bond. He's happily been posing for photos and talking to students. I suspect more Bond news is forthcoming....
    https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=danny boyle&src=typd

Dc7Mi7ZXcAETddH.jpg
    Dc7M1Y0XcAAePuJ.jpg
    Dc7M0PRX0AA85xd.jpg

Could some of our more active Twitter users ask some of the folk attending if Bond was mentioned.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 12,292
    Come on, Boyle! Spill the beans!!!

Not expecting anything though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Come on, Boyle! Spill the beans!!!

Not expecting anything though.

Boyled beans?
    For an older man, he's always seemed quite tapped into youth culture and that is reflected in his style of film making too. That's why I'm rather curious as to how he will reconcile that with the current state of affairs re: Bond.

Whatever happens, this will be quite interesting.