No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

that was me during the Brosnan era.

for all the stuff I don't like about Craig bond we are in a much better place now than we ever were with the corpse sniffer.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Mendes era has me going like that, by a wide vast margin.

At least the Brosnan films stuck to formula.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Craig in CR was good as McQueen. I’d add Munich too. Now McQueen is a legend because he had a number of great films. prime era Craig didn’t match that to be sure. Still Craig’s career isn’t over either...

It's not about the movies, it's about charisma.

At least the Brosnan films provided some entertainment, which was more or less non-existent in the Mendes films.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

At least the Brosnan films provided some entertainment, which was more or less non-existent in the Mendes films.
    +1. Precisely!
    They were a lot more entertaining and more re-watchable,i must admit tbh.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »

They felt like Bond films, and if i'm honest, had their share of moments that make me smile and think "Yes, this is Bond".
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    talos7 wrote: »
    “Clickbait “ or not here is the original story. According to Craig, the de-emphasizing of Bond’s womanizing is is intentional, and will continue.

https://www.google.com/amp/people.com/movies/daniel-craig-making-james-bond-appeal-more-to-women/amp/
    I'm not happy with his public comments on this matter. He has made similar remarks in the past and so has Broccoli. Hopefully we hear something positive from him about the character over the next year, and not just about his heroism and patriotism either.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    De-emphasizing of Bond´s womanizing is nothing new, it was quite prominent in Dalton´s era, which incidentally coincided with the awareness of AIDS. And apart from that, Maud Adams is still one of the most gorgeous Bond girls.
    True, and I don't think that was something to be proud of personally.
    True, the womanizing was downplayed in Dalton’s two films but somewhat returned to form with Brosnan; perhaps it’s a cyclical trend and following Craig, we will see the return of a more amorous 007.
    I'm not sure about that. It's more likely to continue. In my personal opinion, as I've mentioned previously, all they require in this instance is an actor who can give off that insouciant, nonchalant vibe with style. If they get him then they can dial down the direct womanizing and still give the impression. Reinjecting the playfullness vibe and casual flirting (in a natural manner) is all that is required. That can't be acted. It must come from within the actor and be inherent to his natural style imho.

They felt like Bond films, and if i'm honest, had their share of moments that make me smile and think "Yes, this is Bond".

Exactly..you could leave your brain at the door and watch Bond on his latest mission (yes MISSION Craig era EON !!).

Exactly..you could leave your brain at the door and watch Bond on his latest mission (yes MISSION Craig era EON !!).

I'd love another straight forward mission plot. Don't think we'll get it before the next actor comes around, though.

I'd love another straight forward mission plot. Don't think we'll get it before the next actor comes around, though.

Neither do I unfortunately.
    “Clickbait “ or not here is the original story. According to Craig, the de-emphasizing of Bond’s womanizing is is intentional, and will continue.

https://www.google.com/amp/people.com/movies/daniel-craig-making-james-bond-appeal-more-to-women/amp/

One of so many reasons why he never was right for the role.
    I'm not even going to bother with that article.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Why is it so quiet? This film is supposed to start filming in 7 months. I think Danny Boyle is going to direct. So just release a statement!

So here is what we know so far regarding Danny Boyle:

20/02/2018: John Hodge and Danny Boyle are working on a very 'specific' ideo for Bond 25:
    danny-boyle-john-hodge.jpg?w=301&h=202&crop=1
    http://deadline.com/2018/02/james-bond-danny-boyle-john-hodge-daniel-craig-bond-25-queen-elizabeth-ii-mgm-trainspotting-1202298157/

We are told by Deadline that in February, John Hodge needed a few months to write the script. It's been a few months. So they should know if they are making his version or the Purvis and wade version by now.

09/03/2018: Baz confirms that Danny is making a Beatles film first before doing Bond

Baz's report is very much in favour of Danny being the man who gets the job. However, there are plenty of caveats throughout that much is dependent on the Hodge script getting approved.

Baz's report indicates that MGM, Eon and Working title are doing everything in their power to make the deal happen. However, we know that Beatles film is happening and starts film this month.

15/03/2018: Boyle confirms he has a "great idea" but he also says "we'll see what happens...and hopefully it'll work".

04/04/2018: Hollywood Reporter says that sources confirm Boyle is the director:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mgm-using-james-bond-rights-as-leverage-a-sale-1099472

However, it's nothing more than a throwaway line in an article about MGM's current state.

10/04/2018: Daniel Craig is asked about Boyle and says "we'll see"

On a personal note, word on White Boy Rick has been positive for months. If the film does go into award season/festival circuit (which it is being primed for), then it’s almost certain that Demange becomes the A-list name that he isn’t today.

Personally, I’ve always felt that EON were cutting their nose off the spite their face. Yann Demange is perfect for the job, and I can see through EON’s desperate bid to entice A-list directors.

A frenetic and ADHD Danny Boyle/Bond film sounds fun, but Demange is still the guy for me.

Look how cool Yann looks and his films have such style!

71Premiere52ndNewYorkFilmFestivalSHI8KK5Ozaql.jpg

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Why is it so quiet? This film is supposed to start filming in 7 months. I think Danny Boyle is going to direct. So just release a statement!

20/02/2018: John Hodge and Danny Boyle are working on a very 'specific' ideo for Bond 25:
    http://deadline.com/2018/02/james-bond-danny-boyle-john-hodge-daniel-craig-bond-25-queen-elizabeth-ii-mgm-trainspotting-1202298157/

We are told by Deadline that in February, John Hodge needed a few months to write the script. It's been a few months. So they should know if they are making his version or the Purvis and wade version by now.

09/03/2018: Baz confirms that Danny is making a Beatles film first before doing Bond

Baz's report is very much in favour of Danny being the man who gets the job. However, there are plenty of caveats throughout that much is dependent on the Hodge script getting approved.

Baz's report indicates that MGM, Eon and Working title are doing everything in their power to make the deal happen. However, we know that Beatles film is happening and starts film this month.

15/03/2018: Boyle confirms he has a "great idea" but he also says "we'll see what happens...and hopefully it'll work".

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mgm-using-james-bond-rights-as-leverage-a-sale-1099472

However, it's nothing more than a throwaway line in an article about MGM's current state.

On a personal note, word on White Boy Rick has been positive for months. If the film does go into award season/festival circuit (which it is being primed for), then it’s almost certain that Demange becomes the A-list name that he isn’t today.

Personally, I’ve always felt that EON were cutting their nose off the spite their face. Yann Demange is perfect for the job, and I can see through EON’s desperate bid to entice A-list directors.

A frenetic and ADHD Danny Boyle/Bond film sounds fun, but Demange is still the guy for me.

Very good points there, EON it's time to release the bloody statement!
    ToTheRight wrote: »

A character, written 50 years ago, is not sllowed OR supposed to change along the line ???
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Germanlady wrote: »

A character, written 50 years ago, is not sllowed OR supposed to change along the line ???

Not to the point of where the character, eventually, no longer resembles what their creator , in this case Fleming, intended.

• DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I don’t understand. Wasn’t Craig’s return confirmed last summer? Could’ve sworn it was. Seems people are late to the party.

August.

Surely Yann Demange's looks shouldn't be a criteria for whether he gets the job? I mean he's behind the camera, no?

Anyway, both Craig and Boyle have said something along of the lines of 'we'll see'. Have people forgotten that there is a possible MGM transaction in the works, and failing that, at least an international distribution deal?

It's clear to me that confirmation and an announcement cannot come before those items are lined up. The International distributor has say in this. I know some like to downplay their importance, but I wouldn't. In my opinion, this 'dueling script' idea is just that. There are two proposals on the table, and this could go either way. The decider is probably the distributor. I don't think Broccoli minds either way.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Am I the only one who thinks that beard is weird?
    @bondjames I'm not saying that Yann should get the job because he looks good. However, the Bond role is all about class and sophistication and this guy embodies those elements. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'd very excited by the stylistic choices Yann would have made.

Also, I feel you are overvaluing the role of the distributor. It's their role to sell the film and put it in theatres. They are not the creative lead on the film. That responsibility falls down to the production company.

That isn't to say that distribution studios don't give their opinions. The Sony leaks show how vocal they were throughout Spectre. However, film studios often don't cross the line too much, especially when they have a proven brand that's easy to sell.

I imagine what Eon are trying to do is put together a pretty tasty deal for a distributor so they can be trusted to be left alone. If I was someone at Sony, Warner, etc, I'd happily buy Daniel Craig's final James Bond film directed by Danny Boyle from the same producers whose last two Bond film made over $800+.

It's an easy sell and Eon can get whoever onboard and call the shots.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I think we disagree @Pierce2Daniel.

Someone doesn't just throw the kind of money required for a Bond production on the table without having a say in the final product. No doubt EON are trying to entice a distributor with something tasty, but so far these attempts appear to have failed. Hence the delay. Hence Boyle at this late stage (unless you want to believe that delays on The Rhythm Section precipitated this late stage detour - I don't).

Bottom line is what they had proposed earlier didn't interest someone important. So they now have something else available for inducement. Hopefully this works.

Irrespective, no announcement can come until the ducks are lined up and the paperwork is signed. That is why there is a delay. The director, actor and even producer in this case can't do anything without 'the money' signing off on it.

Regarding Demange, I don't doubt that he is a cool dude, but his resume is somewhat sparse. I can appreciate that a cautious distributor wants someone with a bit more heft. Enter Mr. Boyle to fill the void and close the deal.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    @bondjames I'm not saying that Yann should get the job because he looks good. However, the Bond role is all about class and sophistication and this guy embodies those elements. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'd very excited by the stylistic choices Yann would have made.

Also, I feel you are overvaluing the role of the distributor. It's their role to sell the film and put it in theatres. They are not the creative lead on the film. That responsibility falls down to the production company.

That isn't to say that distribution studios don't give their opinions. The Sony leaks show how vocal they were throughout Spectre. However, film studios often don't cross the line too much, especially when they have a proven brand that's easy to sell.

I imagine what Eon are trying to do is put together a pretty tasty deal for a distributor so they can be trusted to be left alone. If I was someone at Sony, Warner, etc, I'd happily buy Daniel Craig's final James Bond film directed by Danny Boyle from the same producers whose last two Bond film made over $800+.

Blimey is that all that SF & SP made ?!!

Seriously though,i think part of the problem is only offering a distributor a 1 film deal.
    If I was a distributor I would want the debut,or even the first 2 films of the fresh,new 007 after this next film,rather than just Craig's final flick.

@barryt007 I believe you are correct. If I was a distributor looking to take on Bond I would want an approach for the future, not one with one foot in the past. I would also want a multi-film deal.

@Pierce2Daniel, indeed the last two Bond films made big moola. Who was the factor involved in those two projects? Sam Mendes. That's the name which was associated with the two largest hits in the Craig era. I know some like to spit on the guy these days, but the facts speak for themselves.

Blimey is that all that SF & SP made ?!!

Seriously though,i think part of the problem is only offering a distributor a 1 film deal.
    If I was a distributor I would want the debut,or even the first 2 films of the fresh,new 007 after this next film,rather than just Craig's final flick.

That's exactly how I see it as well. This is exactly the reason why I'm still convinced that there are no contracts signed whatsoever.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Not to the point of where the character, eventually, no longer resembles what their creator , in this case Fleming, intended.

Exactly. There’s a point where he’d be Bond in name only.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Womanizing wasn t really something Fleming s Bond was about.

So you thnk, thats the most important part of him, shagging women? I dont think so. There us a bit more too him - fortunately.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Regarding the confirmation/statement from EON, the director & distributor will likely be announced together. However, I still think we have a ways to go before said announcement. I’m not expecting anything until June or July.
    Am I the only one who thinks that beard is weird?

What's wrong with the beard?