No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2018 Posts: 7,969

459DBA3B00000578-5011123-image-m-5_1508836750098.jpg
    This is what we're supposed to believe James Bond looks like? Christ, talk about stretching credibility.
    All I know is Bond 25 will have a very very digital sheen to it and will be hyper-stylished. I'm simultaneously very excited and a tad frightened by this idea....
    What makes you think so?
    That's the style Danny Boyle is known for. I'm really hoping Bond 25 will have this look:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=QW4ztNwesCk

I love this style. It's hypnotic and engrossing. The visuals wed perfectly to the music and it's close to perfect.

But the 'digital sheen' I speak of gives the scenes a certain verisimilitude that feels inherently uncinematic.

In the T2 clip you posted, I think some of the club scenes have been shot on a GoPro camera and it's been cut together with scenes shot on a very high-def camera. There's something a little "TV movie/documentary" about it.

I love they style of T2, it perfectly suits that film. Personally, I hope Boyle uses the same style he employed Trance and Steve Jobs.

Also, for those interested Boyle is full-steam ahead on his Beatles film and just cast Kate McKinnon:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/934295-kate-mckinnon-in-talks-to-star-in-boyle-curtis-comedy
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The only thing I will predict when I think of a Boyle Bond film is: he's such a unique filmmaker that B25 will visually be like nothing we've seen before.

If he's given the green-light, it's because I think EoN is on board with a story that will push and challenge the Bond character. I don't think I've seen a Boyle film that wasn't interesting or mezmerizing, even if I didn't quite like the film (SDM as an example).
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Watching Boyle's films has definitely helped ignite my anticipation and enthusiasm

Trainspotting... a classic for it's time and is still great, funny and unexpectedly entertaining

Slumdog Millionaire... never stops, great music throughout too

127 Hours... first time watch and was expecting to be bored by the true story, but was not remotely. that had everything to do with Boyle.

Trainspotting 2... an actual decent sequel instead of the typical sequel that never should have been made. Hodge wrote too so that's good.

Steve Jobs... I was surprised by both the performances and how compelling it was given the way it was set and structured.

28 Days Later was the only thing I couldn’t get through but it’s not my kind of movie. He seemed to have gotten the most he could out of a small budget though

Trance... one of his lesser films but again watchable. There are some shots and looks I would want in a Bond film and then some I wouldn’t. I think Boyle knows the difference when applying it to the project he’s working on.

I think B25 will be like QOS as the only Bond comparison but with a better, more compelling story focused on Bond. Supporting characters will only be used to support as needed so that’s good news for everyone wanting the Mi6 gang to not get bloated screen time.

As for the great idea... well that could be a clever villain plot, a twist for Bond, a Craig era narrative twist, or some kind of overall twist for Bond movies. I really doubt the last as EON and MGM won’t green light anything that could damage their cash cow. A Craig era narrative twist has a lot to lose by entangling themselves with the retcon/brofeld mess, so again I doubt. Boyle’s movies are so varied, on one hand Trance is a twisting character ride, but then others like 127 hours are just a straight ahead story. I’m hoping his love for Fleming is his driving factor and would make him follow that path rather than try and impose something unnecessary. But whatever it is it will not be ponderous so it will feel like a stark contrast to the Mendes era which for me is totally necessary to get excited.
    DC will be in fine fettle come the first day of filming. I just wondered if Eon had took up residence at Pinewood yet?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 12,243
    I suspect SP will largely be forgotten for Bond 25 - as well as all of Craig’s other films. Something SF-esque in the sense the villain/story will be largely separate (sure Silva is a SPECTRE agent, but it’s a dumb retcon). Unless they’re doing something really cool with them, I’d rather see SPECTRE sit out the next entry anyway.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I suspect SP will largely be forgotten for Bond 25 - as well as all of Craig’s other films. Something SF-esque in the sense the villain/story will be largely separate (sure Silva is a SPECTRE agent, but it’s a dumb retcon). Unless they’re doing something really cool with them, I’d rather see SPECTRE sit out the next entry anyway.

I agree, and expect a clean stand alone with minimal references to previous films.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 12,243
    I’m almost certain that’s how it will go. Near-certainty though if we got the P&W story, it’d be an uninspired revenge plot about Madeleine dying. Thank goodness Boyle and Hodge came on board. I have no idea what they’re cooking up, but I’m 99% sure it’s better and more original than P&W’s script.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I really hope we get some news regarding plot/casting sooner than later but something tells me our next bit of news is a long ways off.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    https://www.facebook.com/JamesBond007/posts/2021093881238846

The official announcement dropped today!!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    https://www.facebook.com/JamesBond007/posts/2021093881238846

The official announcement dropped today!!

And if I click your link...what's the official announcement? I don't see any...but then I'm not on Facebook myself.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Did Harris inadvertently let the cat of the bag? Is Mendes the backup in case Boyle doesn't pan out? Or is she as clueless as the rest of us?

----
    The 41-year-old actress has portrayed Eve Moneypenny in the most recent outings of the spy saga, 'Skyfall' and 'Spectre', and though she insists she's "easy" about who she works with behind the camera, she'd be thrilled if speculation the 'Trainspotting' filmmaker has landed the job on the 25th film in the series are true.

But Naomie would be just as happy if 'Spectre' director Sam Mendes came back for another stint.

She told Total Film magazine: "I'd love it if Danny Boyle would [direct 'Bond 25']. He's extraordinary. I think he'd have an amazing twist.

"I'd love to have Sam back as well. But yeah, who knows.

"Just as long as they're brilliant and they understand what Bond's about and they understand what the fans want and they're nice to work with, I'm easy really."

----

https://www.list.co.uk/article/99966-naomi-harris-backs-danny-boyle-for-james-bond/

With all deepest respect to Naomi, as much as she wants Sam or Danny in the chair, I just as readily would rather not see her anywhere near a Bond film again in any capacity.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It's just a picture of all the Bonds.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Happy early April Fool's Day everyone lol
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's all I'm seeing. Think some of you are reading into those Facebook posts - it's merely a regular thing they do. It'd be more blunt if they were hinting at official information.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Did Harris inadvertently let the cat of the bag? Is Mendes the backup in case Boyle doesn't pan out? Or is she as clueless as the rest of us?
    I think it's the latter.

Well, April Fool's is going to be fun around these parts!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I think it's the latter.

You want a fun April Fools prank? Go back to page 100 of this very thread.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think it's the latter.
    Yes, most probably. Fingers crossed!
    jake24 wrote: »
    I think it's the latter.

I just did. :))
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    I think it's the latter.

Me too lol
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    00Agent wrote: »
    I think it's the latter.

Me too lol
    How did that work out? Lol! :))
    Don't think I'll ever be able to top that.
    I think it's the latter.

Me too lol

The press release looked pretty convincing i have to say. I might have fallen for it too. Even though no one, and I mean NO ONE will ever release an official press release on April, 1st.
    I think it's the latter.

Me too lol

The press release looked pretty convincing i have to say. I might have fallen for it too. Even though no one, and I mean NO ONE will ever release an official press release on April, 1st.
    I can think of a couple of situations... >:)
    I think it's the latter.

Me too lol

I can think of a couple of situations... >:)

There's no news, like fake news!
  • jake24 wrote: »
    I think it's the latter.

That one was well done. It even mimicked the conventions of Eon/MGM press releases, i.e, "Wilson and Broccoli said."
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

----
    The 41-year-old actress has portrayed Eve Moneypenny in the most recent outings of the spy saga, 'Skyfall' and 'Spectre', and though she insists she's "easy" about who she works with behind the camera, she'd be thrilled if speculation the 'Trainspotting' filmmaker has landed the job on the 25th film in the series are true.

But Naomie would be just as happy if 'Spectre' director Sam Mendes came back for another stint.

She told Total Film magazine: "I'd love it if Danny Boyle would [direct 'Bond 25']. He's extraordinary. I think he'd have an amazing twist.

"I'd love to have Sam back as well. But yeah, who knows.

"Just as long as they're brilliant and they understand what Bond's about and they understand what the fans want and they're nice to work with, I'm easy really."

----

https://www.list.co.uk/article/99966-naomi-harris-backs-danny-boyle-for-james-bond/

With all deepest respect to Naomi, as much as she wants Sam or Danny in the chair, I just as readily would rather not see her anywhere near a Bond film again in any capacity.

Nope, Mendes doesn't. Which makes me think Harris doesn't understand what Bond's about either.

Me neither. She was totally miscast as Moneypenny and should have only appeared in Skyfall's PTS and then never again in the series. As someone else said, Arterton would have been a much better Moneypenny.
    I think it's the latter.

Me too lol

Not really a press release, but back in 2014 Michael Socha was hired as series regular in Once Upon a Time's season 4, but indeed no one believed the announcement because it came on April, 1st. :))
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,400
    The reddit guy posted again:

I've gained some more clarity on the situation:

Boyle will film the Richard Curtis comedy this summer. Then he will immediately begin pre-production on Bond 25. He will then shoot that film throughout 2019 and it will arrive in cinemas in November that year.

The release of the Richard Curtis comedy hasn't been set. The deal between Eon and Working Title allows for Boyle to edit the films concurrently. So when Bond 25 stops shooting, Danny will edit both films at the same time.

Despite being filmed first, you likely won't see the Richard Curtis comedy before you see Danny's Bond film.

Boyle is said to have a female villain at the centre of his Bond film and he is actively casting the role now. They want an A-list actress for the role. I've heard the usual suspects of A-listers who have supposedly met with Boyle or will meet with him. I have a friend at CAA and the part is billed as someone with a "personal connection" to Bond.

There is also a role of a young female MI6 agent who Bond is said to mentor. This role may even be informally cast already.

John Hodge has finished his draft. He will likely remain the sole writer of the project. Despite internet gossip, Danny Boyle is not officially writing the script.

If true, some points here makes me nervous about the film; "personal connection" and "mentor" most of all…
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If this is true, I don t mind.