No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    00Agent wrote: »
    Strangely enough some people today are way to focused on what happened over 50 years ago in the franchise.
    Of course. Whatever aids their agendas.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Strangely enough some people today are way to focused on what happened over 50 years ago in the franchise.
    Of course. Whatever aids their agendas.

Yupp
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,241
    RC7 wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @bondsum, Boyle was quoted mentioning the #MeToo movement, but who is going to find the link again on the last 20 pages?

I think @bondsum was talking about exactly that interview, in which Boyle only reacted to a question about #MeToo in a very diplomatic and meaningless way.
    What else was he supposed to say? "F*** that, Bond will sexually harass so many women in my movie, your eyes are gonna pop out."?

As for Boyle being PC i just want to mention that it was his idea to have Rosario Dawson be fully naked in 2013's Trance, which also pissed some people off (ironically enough he even dated her after the movie was finished). He said in an interview that he wanted to use sexuallity in the storytelling as well, as it was done in films before.

Not that EoN will let him do that in a Bond film, but i just wanted to throw that out there.

And he said in another interview about the Fleming books, which he loved, were all about "sex, pleasure and guns" so he is very well aware of what he is working with here.

The way they get around #metoo is to have the women forcibly shag Bond. Problem solved.

Or by just having a female character (or characters) in a role of power - as a Bond villain (main or secondary), or similar. Judi Dench as M is a good example.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've been pining for a female villain for a long time now. Hell, I'll even take a proper female henchwoman/femme fatale.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've been pining for a female villain for a long time now. Hell, I'll even take a proper female henchwoman/femme fatale.

All would be very welcome. Plenty of good actresses out there.

I want to rewind to pre-SF, get a proper QoS follow-up with Tilda Swinton as the head of Quantum.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    RC7 wrote: »
    The way they get around #metoo is to have the women forcibly shag Bond. Problem solved.
    Smell the Glove Problem.
    https://youtu.be/qGXQKqXVVxU

Smell the Glove Solution.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Only problem with Bond being forcibly shaged by a Woman would be that for that powerplay to work, Bond would have to seem hesitant or against it at least for a moment. And after all he's Bond lol.
    But they'll figure something out eventually.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Only problem with Bond being forcibly shaged by a Woman would be that for that powerplay to work, Bond would have to seem hesitant or against it at least for a moment. And after all he's Bond lol.
    Arguably this was already done once brilliantly before too, when Bond was manhandled by Mayday. Sir Rog nailed (forgive the pun) it.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I want to rewind to pre-SF, get a proper QoS follow-up with Tilda Swinton as the head of Quantum.

If only
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Seconded.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    "Amazing twist". So we can rule out a straightforward Bond on a mission film?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Arguably this was already done once brilliantly before too, when Bond was manhandled by Mayday. Sir Rog nailed (forgive the pun) it.

I don't think it was Sir Rog that did the nailing. ;)
    We ruled that out the moment Danny Boyle came on board. The "Bond on a mission" film will only happen if they hire a non-artsy non-dramatist director who directs action like knowing the back of his hand.

That would have been something. Still not to late for her to play a powerful Bond villain, though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    We ruled that out the moment Danny Boyle came on board. The "Bond on a mission" film will only happen if they hire a non-artsy non-dramatist director who directs action like knowing the back of his hand.

That change of direction/tone/style can't come quick enough.
    I know the feeling.
    I know the feeling.

Seconded. I do hope we get back to this with the next actor.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I know the feeling.

Seconded. I do hope we get back to this with the next actor.

I think it's the only direction left for them to go in really.

I'm hoping the "amazing twist" is that for once in Craig's era Bond is actually given a straightforward mission. I also hope this "great idea" is referring to the villain's caper.

My fear is perhaps something along the lines of Bond 25 being set in-between assignments. Perhaps the twist is there is no Bond villain in this film at all. No Bond girl either. In a sense SF played with that by not giving Bond a leading lady with the exception of M.

Bond fans are so disappointing.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,241
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I'm hoping the "amazing twist" is that for once in Craig's era Bond is actually given a straightforward mission. I also hope this "great idea" is referring to the villain's caper.

My fear is perhaps something along the lines of Bond 25 being set in-between assignments. Perhaps the twist is there is no Bond villain in this film at all. No Bond girl either. In a sense SF played with that by not giving Bond a leading lady with the exception of M.

Been thinking of this. It's perfectly possible that Boyle delivers a straightforward mission, only with an unusual caper or plot twist. If this is the case, B25 can become a very interesting film.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Haha! That's rich.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 13,882

That... that makes no sense. Why would we be disappointing (of all things)?

Major, you’re wasting your time.

A large percentage of Bond fans would basically want EON to produce the same movie over and over again, are dead set against invention and are only satisfied when they get a reproduction of the Bond movie they watched as a 7 year old. Not to mention that many (most?) Bond fans have absolutely no knowledge of cinema, and wouldn't know a great movie if it hit them in the face.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Weren't you supposed to leave on March 5th in a hissyfit because of lack of news? You're 20 days overdue.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'm hoping the "amazing twist" is that for once in Craig's era Bond is actually given a straightforward mission.
    In these days and age that would in fact be an amazing twist.

edited March 2018 Posts: 13,882

A large percentage of Bond fans would basically want EON to produce the same movie over and over again, are dead set against invention and are only satisfied when they get a reproduction of the Bond movie they watched as a 7 year old.

Well, the series has survived through an ebb and flow in tone/style, it's ebbed for the last 12 years, now it's time for the flow.
    Not to mention that many (most?) Bond fans have absolutely no knowledge of cinema, and wouldn't know a great movie if it hit them in the face.

What does having or lacking a knowledge of cinema have to do with Bond 25? And a "great movie" is subjective. A film directed by someone whose name most people wouldn't be able to pronounce, and featuring 5 people staring at a blank wall for the full 5 1/2 hour run time, would be a great film to some, and a tedious waste of time to others. That goes in reverse for SyFy channel or Asylum movie.
    As I said, Major, you’re wasting your time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

A large percentage of Bond fans would basically want EON to produce the same movie over and over again, are dead set against invention and are only satisfied when they get a reproduction of the Bond movie they watched as a 7 year old. Not to mention that many (most?) Bond fans have absolutely no knowledge of cinema, and wouldn't know a great movie if it hit them in the face.
    Ouch.

I think fans expressing desires for a return to a more independent, mission centric approach as opposed to a personal story based narrative associated with a particular actor's arc are being quite reasonable at this stage of the cycle. Expressing that opinion in 2007 or even 2010 may have been considered rash and premature, but not now imho. Expect the drum beat to only get louder over the upcoming year, and with good reason. When this is all over and done with, it will have been 13 years. That's an eternity in show business. We can see that even the smallest bit of change (e.g. Hodge) has created a new found excitement here among many, including myself. That should tell us something. It's only natural. Everything has its time.

Having said this, we have no idea what they are going to give us next year. It might actually end up being mission centric standalone after all, especially after this long four year break. If so, many will be relieved and quite satisfied. Here's hoping for some welcome surprises.
    Well, the series has survived through an ebb and flow in tone/style, it's ebbed for the last 12 years, now it's time for the flow.
    Nicely and succinctly put. I agree.