No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited March 2018 Posts: 12,267
    News coming tomorrow. I have a feeling.

EDIT: what if we get the announcement EON is selling Bond and 25 is the last?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    It's highly unlikely that the shake-up at MGM will delay or kill Bond 25. I don't foresee EON making changes at all. It will be business as usual.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Tomorrow.

I think we will be getting some confirmation tomorrow. The shareholders are just as hungry for news as we are.

Disney CEO, Bob Iger regularly reveals big news on shareholder calls. Often, the announcements from Iger are very quickly followed by press releases from Marvel/Lucasfilm, etc.

I'm slightly concerned that the window for Boyle/EON to commit is closing very quickly...I think Eon may find themselves coming up a bit short if they don't get Danny to sign on quickly.

Personally, I think they need to get a great script together and focus solely on that. Then they need to hire a director who can simply execute the great script. Personally, I think they should hire Ridley Scott.

Ridley is a legend, and was once a true visionary artist. These days, he's proved himself to be a master technician. No one can make a film that looks and feels quite as good as Ridley. The film would look gorgeous and be expertly crafted. Plus Scott, works quickly and will bring the film in under budget and schedule. Only true veterans like Ron Howard, Woody Allen, Clint Eastwood and Steven Spielberg are as efficient.

However, Ridley isn't much of a storyteller anymore. He shoots the script. If the scripts are bad or half-cooked, then the movies are poor. Give him a good script and you get a good film. He won't ask too many questions and he'd make a very competent film. But EON need to focus on the script.

Ridley Scott and Dalton in 91 would have been my dream combo. Agree about your summary of where Scott is as a filmmaker now though. Still, he’d be better than a lot of alternatives. I wonder if he was ever approached/considered for Bond.
    Should B25 have a topless bond girl ?
    Or are EON too politically correct ?

dxzs.jpg
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think an R rated Bond film is a better idea than a period Bond film. It would be great if they left all that stuff in for once.

By the way, when is the call haopening today?
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    10 am PT.
    6 PM in London
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2018 Posts: 4,441
    In The Netherlands:

Deathwish 2018, what is MGM/Paramount movie will be released by Dutch FilmWorks.

Detroit is Annapurna/FOX movie who is released by Entertainment One/Fox. Because of Fox the release include bonusmaterial but it is not subtiteld. If A-film Benelux (Also known as company who released LOTR movies with Newline/ Warner) stil have exist i think there release it same way.

Tomb Raider 2018 what is MGM/Warner movie will be released by Warner. The Hobbit Warner/Newline and MGM is released by Warner and not A Film. I see as typical thing that Warner is also responsible for 4 years wait besides the producers.

With Danny Boyle overall be Fox directer (Trainspotting movies are Sony), will Bond 25 MGM/Annapurna/FOX made movie. Who will it release in the cinema and who on BD/DVD ?
    I also can believe Fox don't whant to make same mistake as there did as MGM/FOX with Die Another Day and agree with the producers to choose other writers/ replace P&W. The 25th movie and 56 years a go Fleming died on age of 56.

Another thing is that Dutch tv premiere of Spectre is delayd twice. First movie should get release on 14 January and then begin this month. Dutch channel Rtl 7 repeat every movie in mix order (Starts with TSWLM & DR No and end with TMWTGG & Skyfall), but on 11 March no Spectre . Unknown on this moment when Spectre get his Dutch tv release. Warner is known that there like it to let us wait 3 or 3,5 years before movie get his tv premiere. Harry Potter 5 was more then 3,5 years. Fox wait also very long with Dutch tv premiere of Die Hard 5, but that movie was a flop.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Sadly, Death Wish was nothing groundbreaking. It barely garnered its budget money, and I doubt people will look at it with admiration in the future. It was a typical current Bruce Willis movie. Antonio Banderas' Acts of Vengeance was better in that context and more of a genuine Death Wish remake despite the actual remake itself.
    Sadly, Death Wish was nothing groundbreaking. It barely garnered its budget money, and I doubt people will look at it with admiration in the future. It was a typical current Bruce Willis movie. Antonio Banderas' Acts of Vengeance was better in that context and more of a genuine Death Wish remake despite the actual remake itself.

Bruce Willis is sending his career down the toilet these days.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The trailers for Death Wish did nothing for me, and that is why I avoided it, despite being a huge Willis fan. Shame. Which idiot greenlighted that over at MGM? If it was Barber, perhaps his dismissal was warranted.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423
    barryt007 wrote: »
    He's just on autopilot mode. I still love Bruce Willis, don't get me wrong. But, the way the film was marketed and promoted as "the next best thing" is nothing short of misguidance. I'd rather he does RED 3.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    He's just on autopilot mode. I still love Bruce Willis, don't get me wrong. But, the way the film was marketed and promoted as "the next best thing" is nothing short of misguidance. I'd rather he does RED 3.

They never listen re these remakes...Get Carter apparently was crap (I wont even waste my time watching it,i am happy with Sir Michael's original),The Italian Job (ditto : haven't seen and don't need to) and Alfie/Gambit etc (ditto again.)

I would actually recommend The Italian Job, @barryt007. It's better than Michael Caine's version. It's not a cheesy comedy with the annoying "Self-Preservation Society" playing every five minutes. It takes itself half-seriously while being a fantastic caper. :D

As for Get Carter, well... Can't say it's good, but I enjoy it, because I love Sly. Other great remakes include Ocean's Eleven (and its two brilliant sequels), and our very own Brosnan's Thomas Crown Affair.

I'm not against remakes. I just prefer if they're handled in a relevant way rather than just producing it whatever quality (high or lackluster) material they inject it without caring about it under the brand label and getting audiences' hopes up.
    Don't listen to him Barry. The remake of The Italian Job is rubbish! You're perfectly fine with Caines version. A classic!
    That's your opinion. Critical reception says differently.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The first five minutes of the original (the Lambo with Matt Monro's On Days Like This in the background) kills anything in the remake (apart from Theron) imho.
    And then, we have this banging our heads to the wall for the rest of the film...

And then, we have this banging our heads to the wall for the rest of the film...

Touché.

It always gave off that rowdy footballer vibe to me though, which matched the proceedings on screen.

I've always liked the somewhat vague and noncommittal ending too.

Touché.

It always gave off that rowdy footballer vibe to me though, which matched the proceedings on screen.

I've always liked the somewhat vague and noncommittal ending too.
    Perhaps.

But, the subject they were dealing with, running from the fate that put them over the edge of "life and death" situation, I couldn't take the whole thing seriously due to that football match vibes it gave.

Don't get me wrong. I love the original as much as the next man, but Quincy Jones was far from being at his best on this one. That "Self-Preservation Society" song can easily take me out of the film.

The remake, on the other hand, handles the matter with class. Even the soundtrack is great.
    I would actually recommend The Italian Job, @barryt007. It's better than Michael Caine's version. It's not a cheesy comedy with the annoying "Self-Preservation Society" playing every five minutes. It takes itself half-seriously while being a fantastic caper. :D

As for Get Carter, well... Can't say it's good, but I enjoy it, because I love Sly. Other great remakes include Ocean's Eleven (and its two brilliant sequels), and our very own Brosnan's Thomas Crown Affair.

I'm not against remakes. I just prefer if they're handled in a relevant way rather than just producing it whatever quality (high or lackluster) material they inject it without caring about it under the brand label and getting audiences' hopes up.

Basically I am dead set against almost any kind of remake, but at least the Italian job has got one hilarious scene that really brought tears to my eyes when I saw it first (from laughing). It's when Seth Green watches Statham from the car making the girl from the security service clear for the night and dubbing him while doing so. Highly recommendable.

Basically I am dead set against almost any kind of remake, but at least the Italian job has got one hilarious scene that really brought tears to my eyes when I saw it first (from laughing). It's when Seth Green watches Statham from the car making the girl from the security service clear for the night and dubbing him while doing so. Highly recommendable.
    Agreed! That bit definitely had me stitches! :))
    I haven't seen either of these for some time. I think I might do a back to back soon (which I've never done before). It would make for interesting viewing, I think.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Thanks for the comments chaps but I think I will stick with the original version.

Here's a radical idea - why not hire an established action director to direct a James Bond film?

kmpg_book_lead.jpg

:P
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Here's a radical idea - why not hire an established action director to direct a James Bond film?

kmpg_book_lead.jpg

We really do need a regime change for that to occur. The current crew aren't really prioritizing this route. My hope is it will happen, in time.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

kmpg_book_lead.jpg

We really do need a regime change for that to occur. The current crew aren't really prioritizing this route. My hope is it will happen, in time.
    Here’s hoping.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I bet the cinema gold idea is that they bring back several old villains, maybe Goldfinger, Mr Big, Dr No and who knows who in the same film.
    I bet the cinema gold idea is that they bring back several old villains, maybe Goldfinger, Mr Big, Dr No and who knows who in the same film.
    All the past villains come back to haunt Bond who are revealed to be his enemies back from his days in Eton, and little James bullied them so they’ll show him, now. :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All the past villains come back to haunt Bond who are revealed to be his enemies back from his days in Eton, and little James bullied them so they’ll show him, how. :))

That s right. And Jaws was that skinny little guy whose lunchmoney James took every day.

Sounds like an Adam West Batman film to me... ;)