No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• More from CashleyPersia:

"I got word from someone close to EON this morning that the reason they never committed to the Purvis and Wade script and why production only just started on the Danny Boyle script is due to prior commitments. Supposedly, The Rhythm Section and Film Stars were the priority going into the new year. Bond 25 work only officially begins April. I presume this is when Eon go full-time on Bond. But the delays to The Rhythm Section have made Eon rethink hence why Danny was engaged at this late stage. I’d bet any money that had Eon not had this impromptu gap, we’d get the Yann Demange/Purvis & Wade film. Blame Blake Lively’s hand….."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    More from CashleyPersia:

"I got word from someone close to EON this morning that the reason they never committed to the Purvis and Wade script and why production only just started on the Danny Boyle script is due to prior commitments. Supposedly, The Rhythm Section and Film Stars were the priority going into the new year. Bond 25 work only officially begins April. I presume this is when Eon go full-time on Bond. But the delays to The Rhythm Section have made Eon rethink hence why Danny was engaged at this late stage. I’d bet any money that had Eon not had this impromptu gap, we’d get the Yann Demange/Purvis & Wade film. Blame Blake Lively’s hand….."
    I had speculated this may have been the issue here last night. Not sure what to make of it, but it seems credible, or at least plausible.
  • I think Naomie has been terrific as MP. She’s totally nailed the character and bought an interesting edge to proceedings. Her relationship with Bond feels well-realised and her chemistry with Craig has been on point. I also enjoyed the reinvention and the decision to make her a field agent. It was a smart and subversive move by Mendes in SF. I think she was a little wasted in SP but she did have that great scene with Craig in Bond’s flat, which was very reminiscent of the classic MP scenes of yore.

Without question, Harris is my favourite MP.

Interestingly, both Boyle and Harris have a relationship working together. She was in both 28 Days Later and Frankenstein. So Bond 25 will provide a reunion for the pair.
    Who do you think Danny would cast as a Bond girl? I’d be overjoyed if he cast Frieda Pinto. She was heavily rumoured by the tabloids after Slumdog. I imagine he may want to go down the Mendes route and get someone a little starry:

Freida-Pinto.jpg

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    More from CashleyPersia:

So does this mean they will not be starting pre-production in April?
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2018 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote: »
    It's become clear to me that I am not following developments as much as I used to. But reading this thread lately, and I might be way off here, but it it feels like they don't have a clue. It is as though EON has never made a Bond film before, and have been told to do so. SP was over two years ago. What have they been doing in that time? I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, that they are just playing their cards close to their chest, but there is a whiff of unprofessionalism in how they appear to be stumbling along. Making the films used to be a well oiled machine, now it sounds like someone has thrown a sack of grit into the cogs.

But then I think this train of thought comes from reading the fan commentary on here, which is 95% conjecture.

We all know the reasons why SF was delayed, but they got their ducks in a row and produced what was inarguably a huge critical and financial success. It may be easy to forget for some detractors, I myself had certain issues with it, but never did I see it as anything other than a hugely impressive effort by EON. Bond was huge again.

If anything it completely overperformed, in a way no Bond film has to come close to in the modern era. It’s understandable they wanted to capitalise on that and equally understandable that they felt Mendes held the key.

Turns out lightning doesn’t strike twice and again, despite me actually thinking SP is a perfectly fine film, there was some debatable decision making and I’m sure they’ll have thought long and hard about what went wrong during the process.

There’s no doubt in my mind that is why we’re seeing another prolonged period of development before B25, while they try to nail exactly where they are going. There’s no obvious route and in their two previous attempts to produce ‘sequels’, they’ve turned out to be critical failures, relative to their predecessors.

For my money Barbara will be only too aware that most tenures end on a damp squib (critically at least), likewise she’ll be aware of the reception afforded SP. She’ll want to address that issue by delivering a satisfying finale to Craig’s tenure.

Whether people think the processes that are in place are flawed is up to them, but I can see why things have worked out the way they have. Had there been no issues regard MGM’s debt pre-SF we would’ve had B23 served up earlier than expected and things might have taken a more consistent path with moderate success and more films.

As it turns out, the delay followed by the unmitigated success of SF continues to dictate the path we are on. It’s hard to simply go back to making a ‘standard’ Bond flick in those circumstances, which I know is why some fans want a change, but it’s EON’s decision to stick with Craig and they have the ability to pull it off. I don’t for a minute believe they’re stumbling through. They aren’t obliged to produce a Bond film, they do it because they want to (and I’m convinced this idea of selling up is wide of the mark).

All I’m saying is, fans need to have some faith. I don’t see the logic in turning up to the MI6 altar everyday praying for delays, or for Craig to put so much weight on he gets fired. It’s become quite tiresome and slightly pathetic. If this series has been as ‘off the rails’ as some suggest it has for the last decade, why are you spending your days on here? I’m being rhetorical of course, I’m fully aware those who bleat the loudest will be the first to slam the next casting decision, the next title and so on... just hoping that those with a more rational mindset can see that a Craig fronted B25 can still work.

In short, anyone who doesn't praise and applaud is on a general negativity rant.

There’s no ‘general negativity’ coming from your quarters. It’s all very targeted, specific and bilious and immediately discounts any rational counter arguments.

I’m fully aware of the ‘general negativity’ and on some points I entirely agree.

Nothing about my post suggests applauding and praising EON, I very specifically outline what I think is happening, why I think it is happening and why, for those who may feel negatively about the situation, all hope may not necessarily be lost. For you I’m sure it is, so feel free to ignore my posts.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    If it is indeed a duel of two scripts, I sincerely hope this pushes each team to come up with a top notch script, and not make it a race to the finish line.

And if they are behind schedule, I imagine Showtime will be none to please. I for one was looking forward to 'Purity', and wonder now, where that is on the priority list.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    More from CashleyPersia:

Just based on that it's hard to know if Bond is more or less of a priority now compared to before the injury. It's a bit confusing. So if Blake wasn't injured they would go ahead as planned with Demange, but now instead they are pursuing a much pickier director with less time to work with? I still don't know what happens if talks with Boyle break down , since nothing is remotely official. Do they go back to Demange with their tail between their legs, give Sam a call? For the type of talent they are looking for time is running out, and the plan at the moment seems to be wait for this Hodge to write his script and then go from there. That seems like an awfully risky position to put yourself in if your EON.
    I think we will know more facts by the MGM conference call in a month or so.

From my perspective the Boyle news is highly encouraging, because the release date P&W announcement in July, subsequent Craig announcement in August and rumours of Villeneuve all left me less than enthused (to put it mildly).

I don't know much about him (just as I knew little about Mendes prior to SF), but from what I've read and seen, I think Boyle can create an interesting Bond film with character. That's perhaps the best we can hope for with B25, before a substantial and much overdue reset arrives for B26.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondjames wrote: »
    I That's perhaps the best we can hope for with B25, before a substantial and much overdue reset arrives for B26.

Post 25, can you you imagine the years of speculation around here that this will bring? :)
  • RC7RC7

From my perspective the Boyle news is highly encouraging, because the release date P&W announcement in July, subsequent Craig announcement in August and rumours of Villeneuve all left me less than enthused (to put it mildly).

I don't know much about him (just as I knew little about Mendes prior to SF), but from what I've read and seen, I think Boyle can create an interesting Bond film with character. That's perhaps the best we can hope for with B25, before a substantial and much overdue reset arrives for B26.

I’m not sure how true these Boyle rumours are, but his involvement in some capacity seems plausible. I agree that he could create something interesting and it needs something like this to lend much needed marketing thrust.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I That's perhaps the best we can hope for with B25, before a substantial and much overdue reset arrives for B26.

Post 25, can you you imagine the years of speculation around here that this will bring? :)
    It will be insufferable I'm sure. With any luck, EON/MGM get on with it and 1) either sell so that another studio can move forward quickly, or 2) they go to Nolan and let him make one (in which case we can all wait for it).
    RC7 wrote: »

I’m not sure how true these Boyle rumours are, but his involvement in some capacity seems plausible. I agree that he could create something interesting and it needs something like this to lend much needed marketing thrust.
    Agreed, although it's still not quite enough in my opinion. I think they are really going to need something more to reignite interest in this series stateside. I'm not sure what that could be, but hopefully the distributor helps them along on that front. Cast will be critical.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,767
    What Danny Boyle Told the Holywood reporter in 2013. I can see nothing that would have so drastically changed his perception. I think this is all media talk

THR: I know you don’t want to do a James Bond film -- too big a budget, etc -- but if you could do one your way, on a small budget, full creative freedom, what would a Danny Boyle-made James Bond film look like?

Boyle: I’ve already done one. You've seen it. Stellar cast as well. But I’m not really the guy for those movies. What we do, right, is we use genre -- you take a genre, like this has got a few genres running in it, you use a genre to try and get you in the mainstream. It’s a vehicle to boost you into the mainstream. And then you f--- with the genre. You twist it and change it and move it around. You can’t do it on those big movies. You genuflect in front of them. Too much money, too expectation. It’s the faith of the fans, it’s all that. You’ve got to be very careful. It’s very tempting of course -- I love the movies, I love the books, but I’m not the right guy for those.
    That was posted before, and I´ve said before: What Boyle says there has nothing to do with reality. What he describes as not possible on those big movies is exactly what Eon´s been doing since 2006!

I think Naomie has been terrific as MP. She’s totally nailed the character and bought an interesting edge to proceedings. Her relationship with Bond feels well-realised and her chemistry with Craig has been on point. I also enjoyed the reinvention and the decision to make her a field agent. It was a smart and subversive move by Mendes in SF. I think she was a little wasted in SP but she did have that great scene with Craig in Bond’s flat, which was very reminiscent of the classic MP scenes of yore.
    I don´t see where any scene should remind of classic MP, but I find Harris´ acting as MP poor. I don´t blame her, because I´ve seen her in films she was younger and less experienced in, yet gave terrific performances, for instance 28 Days later, or Miami Vice.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I think Naomie has been terrific as MP. She’s totally nailed the character and bought an interesting edge to proceedings. Her relationship with Bond feels well-realised and her chemistry with Craig has been on point. I also enjoyed the reinvention and the decision to make her a field agent. It was a smart and subversive move by Mendes in SF. I think she was a little wasted in SP but she did have that great scene with Craig in Bond’s flat, which was very reminiscent of the classic MP scenes of yore.
    I don´t see where any scene should remind of classic MP, but I find Harris´ acting as MP poor. I don´t blame her, because I´ve seen her in films she was younger and less experienced in, yet gave terrific performances, for instance 28 Days later, or Miami Vice.
    I think she's bloody awful. They'd do well to retire her imho.
    ---

Regarding the future: If it's true that EON has been meeting with all these directors and asking them to submit proposals and ideas, I wonder if that has been strategic. After all, these concepts and who came up with them are now part of their brand IP which they can leverage in the future if/when MGM decides to either sell itself, IPO or in case EON ever decides to move on from Bond. They provide an acquirer with possible avenues and direction without having to reinvent the wheel & they may be willing to pay more for such a privilege.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Any word from Baz at all?
  • re: next MGM investor call. Probably sometime in the first 2-3 weeks of March.
    Regarding the future: If it's true that EON has been meeting with all these directors and asking them to submit proposals and ideas, I wonder if that has been strategic. After all, these concepts and who came up with them are now part of their brand IP which they can leverage in the future if/when MGM decides to either sell itself, IPO or in case EON ever decides to move on from Bond. They provide an acquirer with possible avenues and direction without having to reinvent the wheel & they may be willing to pay more for such a privilege.
    Good point. Even if they're not selling, perhaps having a few concepts in the pipeline will help speed up and give a sketch of direction for the next couple releases.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    When Danny Boyle says "I already made one", which of his films is he referring to?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    When Danny Boyle says "I already made one", which of his films is he referring to?

The 2012 Olympics short.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dennison wrote: »
    It's become clear to me that I am not following developments as much as I used to. But reading this thread lately, and I might be way off here, but it it feels like they don't have a clue. It is as though EON has never made a Bond film before, and have been told to do so. SP was over two years ago. What have they been doing in that time? I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, that they are just playing their cards close to their chest, but there is a whiff of unprofessionalism in how they appear to be stumbling along. Making the films used to be a well oiled machine, now it sounds like someone has thrown a sack of grit into the cogs.

They have been making another film since SP.
    What Danny Boyle Told the Holywood reporter in 2013. I can see nothing that would have so drastically changed his perception. I think this is all media talk

What I said. There was a BBC Culture Show with him in 2013 where he said similar things.

The Rhythm Section? If they can't make a Bond film in 2 years, and so need 3 or even 4 years, why are they wandering off to do other films?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,619
    mattjoes wrote: »
    but if it is in fact true that the latter two had only been working on the script for a week before the news broke, that's too bad.
    Not necessarily. Competent screenwriters could easily write a GREAT Bond screenplay in a couple of months from scratch.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The 2012 Olympics short.

I wonder if he's aware that doesn't really count?

THR: I know you don’t want to do a James Bond film -- too big a budget, etc -- but if you could do one your way, on a small budget, full creative freedom, what would a Danny Boyle-made James Bond film look like?

Boyle: I’ve already done one. You've seen it. Stellar cast as well. But I’m not really the guy for those movies. What we do, right, is we use genre -- you take a genre, like this has got a few genres running in it, you use a genre to try and get you in the mainstream. It’s a vehicle to boost you into the mainstream. And then you f--- with the genre. You twist it and change it and move it around. You can’t do it on those big movies. You genuflect in front of them. Too much money, too expectation. It’s the faith of the fans, it’s all that. You’ve got to be very careful. It’s very tempting of course -- I love the movies, I love the books, but I’m not the right guy for those.
    1. I've already posted the very same excerpt a couple of days ago.
    2. It's not "media talk". Deadline.com has reported it. John Hodge is writing the screenplay of Bond 25 as we speak.
    3. " It’s very tempting of course -- I love the movies, I love the books" - It's clear that all Boyle needed was the right incentive (more money / creative freedom /smaller than usual budget), and it seems that he got it this time.

Another tweet like the one with Craig from February 17th.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Confirmed: Roger Moore will be digitally recreated to star in Bond 25
    That would be amusing. How about an animated Bond movie set in the 50's? Could be something.
    That would be amusing. How about an animated Bond movie set in the 50's? Could be something.

I'd watch it!
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Dennison wrote: »

They have been making another film since SP.

What I said. There was a BBC Culture Show with him in 2013 where he said similar things.

The Rhythm Section? If they can't make a Bond film in 2 years, and so need 3 or even 4 years, why are they wandering off to do other films?
    To distract themselves. If you give your all to one and the same cause all the time, you can get exhausted and numb. Cubby apparently didn´t have that problem, but I think it would be unrealistic to expect the same from every other person.

Bond 25 better not be put back even further?!!!
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,267
    CashleyPersia
    I got word from someone close to EON this morning that the reason they never committed to the Purvis and Wade script and why production only just started on the Danny Boyle script is due to prior commitments. Supposedly, The Rhythm Section and Film Stars were the priority going into the new year. Bond 25 work only officially begins April. I presume this is when Eon go full-time on Bond. But the delays to The Rhythm Section have made Eon rethink hence why Danny was engaged at this late stage. I’d bet any money that had Eon not had this impromptu gap, we’d get the Yann Demange/Purvis & Wade film. Blame Blake Lively’s hand…

https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/80djzn/so_what_is_actually_happening_with_bond_25/

More word from this CashleyPersia fellow on Reddit. I suppose we look out for news in March or April then? According to this of course.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Walecs wrote: »
    Confirmed: Roger Moore will be digitally recreated to star in Bond 25

I laught. :D