No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,985
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Lewis Gilbert passed away at age 97 today.
    A sad loss, no doubt, but how does this relate to B25?

Well they are getting very desperate for a director, he may have been on their fall back list. ;)

Does that mean Bond 25 is likely to be the third remake of YOLT?
    I think that Danny boyle could make a Bond film in 3 months.
    I don't think he likes to stuff around when making movies.

And here's a little song i wrote especially for him. :)

Oh Danny boy the pipes the pipes are calling
    From glen to glen and down the mountain side
    The summer's gone and all the flowers dying
    'Tis you 'tis you must go and I must bide

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
    Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
    'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
    Oh Danny boy oh Danny boy I love you so

But when ye come and all the roses falling
    And I am dead as dead I well may be
    Go out and find the place where I am lying
    And kneel and say an ave there for me

And I will hear tho' soft you tread above me
    And then my grave will warm and sweeter be
    For you shall bend and tell me that you love me
    And I will sleep in peace until you come to me
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I'm still not convinced by anything this Reddit spy has been reporting. It seems that he's changed tack to accommodate the latest round of Danny Boyle gossip. Surely, if Yann Demange was employed in a similar capacity as Mendes was before Bond 23 went into production, then Demange would have been made fully aware that his role was that of consultant, not as a confirmation that he was the final chosen director for Bond 25? Certainly not until they'd seen evidence of his creative abilities and output? Let's not forget that Mendes had first been employed as a consultant on the film when SF was in pre-production and not as director, despite the man eventually signing up for the job when the financial troubles of MGM were ironed out. Clearly Mendes stuck around because Eon liked what he was saying and what they were seeing, otherwise the two would have parted company and Bond 23 would have found another director. Yann Demange was never confirmed as the final choice; his name was just one on a mooted shortlist. I'm not suggesting that Demange wasn't, or hasn't been involved in early developments or discussions. But I think his role would've been more in line with that of creative personnel, for which there might have been other candidates working secretly in tandem behind the scenes. I mean, how likely would Eon entrust a sophomore director with the keys to their big event movie without first having reinforcements waiting in the wings if things didn't go to plan?

Also, the Reddit user name-drops J.A. Bayona, the Spanish director currently working on Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, as a friend/colleague who happened to read the latest Bond 25 script. This would imply that Eon are hawking around their early draft to other directors for feedback or input that weren't even on the shortlist and that had no prior involvement with Bond 25. And for what? Just to see if what they have is up to snuff? Again, why? There's no mention of why J.A. Bayona would receive an early draft of Bond 25. It's just a name-drop to try and lend some credibility to his irrelevant buzz.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Strog wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    What exactly is it that EON is rethinking? The director/script or the April pre-production date? If pre-production does indeed move forward come April I think some of my worries will be quelled.
    I took the Reddit user to mean that because THE RHYTHM SECTION is going to be delayed, thereby bumping back the pre-production start date on Bond, Eon thought they might as well bring in Boyle, since he now has the time required to prepare something.

This is what I was afraid of. I wonder how long it’ll take for pre-production to begin if April has now been bumped.

Anyone think it’s possible the movie could still be released by Nov. 2019 if this is all true?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,113
    What exactly is it that EON is rethinking? The director/script or the April pre-production date? If pre-production does indeed move forward come April I think some of my worries will be quelled.
    I took the Reddit user to mean that because THE RHYTHM SECTION is going to be delayed, thereby bumping back the pre-production start date on Bond, Eon thought they might as well bring in Boyle, since he now has the time required to prepare something.

This is what I was afraid of. I wonder how long it’ll take for pre-production to begin if April has now been bumped.

Anyone think it’s possible the movie could still be released by Nov. 2019 if this is all true?

If Boyle is working with a smaller budget on a more intimate, less action heavy story then they should make up the difference. Production is pushed back, but if the production is smaller and can work quicker (which I am lead to believe is common with Boyle) Then you get the same result. If they have spent this much time and effort trying to bait in a name director, then odds are they are handing over a lot of creative control. I don't think this will be a normal production like EON is used to doing. They are doing a lot to keep Craig happy IMO.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Can we begin fan-casting a Danny Boyle Bond film yet?

Aside from Craig, Harris, Fiennes and Whishaw. I want to see roles for Vincent Cassell, Frieda Pinto and Johnny Lee Miller (perhaps as a Whitehall/MI6 Staffer as a nod to is grandfather).

guerrilla-freida-pinto.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1
    Freida-Pinto-Guerilla-Movie-Premiere-BFI-London-Film-Festival-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Self-Portrait-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-3.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Vincent Cassell would be a terrific Bond villain. Don't know what sort of a role should I imagine Jonny Lee Miller in, though. I'm also keep on championing Frieda Pinto as Bond Girl as she was rumoured for a Bond Girl role back when Skyfall was in pre-production.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    001 wrote: »
    I think that Danny boyle could make a Bond film in 3 months.
    I don't think he likes to stuff around when making movies.

And here's a little song i wrote especially for him. :)

Oh Danny boy the pipes the pipes are calling
    From glen to glen and down the mountain side
    The summer's gone and all the flowers dying
    'Tis you 'tis you must go and I must bide

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
    Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
    'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
    Oh Danny boy oh Danny boy I love you so

But when ye come and all the roses falling
    And I am dead as dead I well may be
    Go out and find the place where I am lying
    And kneel and say an ave there for me

And I will hear tho' soft you tread above me
    And then my grave will warm and sweeter be
    For you shall bend and tell me that you love me
    And I will sleep in peace until you come to me

tumbleweed-on-the-road-picture-id145839390?k=6&m=145839390&s=612x612&w=0&h=qRKFF7-e6VcSNhgQIdf0QCk4-BK1KgrYgoucxtMxqO0=

;)
  • Getafix wrote: »
    SP is MR to SF’s TSWLM in the sense that they followed up these two massive hits with a bit of a ‘more of the same’ approach. Makes a lot of commercial sense. In a way they’d have been made not to. I believe we can expect a slight change in tone with the next film. Maybe not a FYEO but it has to be different from what came before.

I would also add TB to that list, but apart from Spectre each and everyone of them harvested a good deal of money-plus at the box office then his predecessor.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Getafix wrote: »
    SP is MR to SF’s TSWLM in the sense that they followed up these two massive hits with a bit of a ‘more of the same’ approach. Makes a lot of commercial sense. In a way they’d have been made not to. I believe we can expect a slight change in tone with the next film. Maybe not a FYEO but it has to be different from what came before.

I would also add TB to that list, but apart from Spectre each and everyone of them harvested a good deal of money-plus at the box office then his predecessor.
    QoS also made less at the box office than its predecessor.
    Bond has been crying out for Vincent Cassell as villain for decades
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Pinto sadly is an abysmal actress although she looks the part. If we’re looking to India Irfan Khan would be an excellent addition to any Bond cast. I think as an enigmatic ally rather than villain.
  • FoxRox wrote: »

If that's true Bond 25 will be delayed again. Argh! I wanted Bond 26 for the 60th anniversary, but if Bond 25 doesn't come out until early/mid 2020, that doesn't seem likely anymore. 3:-O

But it does make sense.

Lazenby - 1 film
    Dalton - 2 films
    Brosnan - 4 films
    Craig - 5 films
    Connery - 6 films (EON)
    Moore - 7 films

There's just room for Bond actor 007 to come in and do a trilogy then the whole thing is complete, and we can call it a day.

I agree! It’s cool that each actor has done a different number of films up to this point! The seventh must do 3, seeing as 8 is quite unlikely.

And it is heavily suspected that EON are eyeing Nolan next, which means he could be the man to direct a Bond trilogy after Craig with say Tom Hardy. It all fits, really.

I really don't know, if I can get over another bully Bond.
    Give the character a chance and let him be suave and sophisticated. At least a little!
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Can we begin fan-casting a Danny Boyle Bond film yet?

Aside from Craig, Harris, Fiennes and Whishaw. I want to see roles for Vincent Cassell, Frieda Pinto and Johnny Lee Miller (perhaps as a Whitehall/MI6 Staffer as a nod to is grandfather).

Loved that.

FoxRox wrote: »

If that's true Bond 25 will be delayed again. Argh! I wanted Bond 26 for the 60th anniversary, but if Bond 25 doesn't come out until early/mid 2020, that doesn't seem likely anymore. 3:-O

But it does make sense.

Lazenby - 1 film
    Dalton - 2 films
    Brosnan - 4 films
    Craig - 5 films
    Connery - 6 films (EON)
    Moore - 7 films

There's just room for Bond actor 007 to come in and do a trilogy then the whole thing is complete, and we can call it a day.

I agree! It’s cool that each actor has done a different number of films up to this point! The seventh must do 3, seeing as 8 is quite unlikely.

And it is heavily suspected that EON are eyeing Nolan next, which means he could be the man to direct a Bond trilogy after Craig with say Tom Hardy. It all fits, really.

Give the character a chance and let him be suave and sophisticated. At least a little!

But at least Hardy would be livelier than Craig.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

But it does make sense.

Lazenby - 1 film
    Dalton - 2 films
    Brosnan - 4 films
    Craig - 5 films
    Connery - 6 films (EON)
    Moore - 7 films

I quite agree. There's nothing more annoying than seeing characters and actors in other franchises doing 'suave' better than James Bond. That should never happen. Others can be more 'buff', but suave & style is the territory of Bond imho.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Pinto sadly is an abysmal actress although she looks the part. If we’re looking to India Irfan Khan would be an excellent addition to any Bond cast. I think as an enigmatic ally rather than villain.
    Agreed on both counts. Pinto has been hardly memorable in anything I've seen her in. Khan on the other hand was a hoot in Inferno, the last Dan Brown adaptation. I instantly thought 'Bond film' when I saw him.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,767

But it does make sense.

Lazenby - 1 film
    Dalton - 2 films
    Brosnan - 4 films
    Craig - 5 films
    Connery - 6 films (EON)
    Moore - 7 films

That's entirely up to the director, isn't it. Craig did as much lively performances as Hardy did less liveless ones.

Vincent Cassell would be a terrific Bond villain. Don't know what sort of a role should I imagine Jonny Lee Miller in, though.
    Jonny Lee Miller could play anyone and be cool. For instance Cassel's villain's ten cloned henchmen.
    Hardy is an exceptional actor. He can do anything he wants to.

My concern with him is more on account of looks than anything else. I think we've deviated enough from the template. Time to get back to traditional.
    What sort of budget does Danny Boyle usually work with?
    I don’t think there will be a delay in the release date.
  • FoxRox wrote: »

But it does make sense.

Lazenby - 1 film
    Dalton - 2 films
    Brosnan - 4 films
    Craig - 5 films
    Connery - 6 films (EON)
    Moore - 7 films

That's not really saying much.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    boldfinger wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Interesting info on Demange.

This makes me more convinced that his involvement was to develop a sort of 'strawman' to shop to distributors and directors. Perhaps to gauge interest and spur creativity, in order to activate and secure a distribution deal. That's what I am taking from this anyway.

Maybe they finally have their distributor and they've decided on Boyle.

What's a strawman?
    Someone waiting in the sky, he´d like to come and meet us, but he thinks he´ll blow our minds.

jake24 wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Lewis Gilbert passed away at age 97 today.
    A sad loss, no doubt, but how does this relate to B25?
    They should bloody honour Gilbert by making a film as good as TSHLM.

Good one! :D
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    bondsum wrote: »
    Also, the Reddit user name-drops J.A. Bayona, the Spanish director currently working on Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, as a friend/colleague who happened to read the latest Bond 25 script. This would imply that Eon are hawking around their early draft to other directors for feedback or input that weren't even on the shortlist and that had no prior involvement with Bond 25. And for what? Just to see if what they have is up to snuff? Again, why? There's no mention of why J.A. Bayona would receive an early draft of Bond 25. It's just a name-drop to try and lend some credibility to his irrelevant buzz.
    It does sound a bit off.
    What’s the story with this Reddit guy, is he claiming to be an insider?
    vzok wrote: »
    What’s the story with this Reddit guy, is he claiming to be an insider?
    He apparently works in the industry and hears things. He's trying to piece it together just like us and doesn't deny that his information could be wrong since it's based mainly on hearsay. The only difference is he perhaps has more access to inside gossip than we do.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,492

I'm not from the UK, but anytime I see an article from Express, it's THE most clickbait-y, generic drivel I've ever sifted through. They formulated that whole article off of a Reddit post of someone pretty much going "Hey, Michael Shannon would make for a cool Bond villain!"

Having said that, the guy shines in everything I've seen him in. He's got such an imposing, threatening presence when the movie calls for it, I'd love to see him as a Bond villain.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm not from the UK, but anytime I see an article from Express, it's THE most clickbait-y, generic drivel I've ever sifted through. They formulated that whole article off of a Reddit post of someone pretty much going "Hey, Michael Shannon would make for a cool Bond villain!"

Having said that, the guy shines in everything I've seen him in. He's got such an imposing, threatening presence when the movie calls for it, I'd love to see him as a Bond villain.

I know the site is clickbait-y, but this particular idea is very cool. Shannon was the ultimate, all-American villain in Shape of Water. I’m sure he would be a memorable and scary force in Bond as well. Him against Craig sounds terrific.
    I hated him in Man of Steel, but loves him in That Christmas Rogan/Gordon Levitt film.

I'm not sure.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I hated him in Man of Steel, but loves him in That Christmas Rogan/Gordon Levitt film.

I'm not sure.

Holy hell, I forgot about that movie, but he was brilliant in it. I recall one bit with him and Rogen in a car, maybe? Don't recall what the situation or line was but it came out of nowhere and I couldn't stop laughing. May need to rewatch that one soon.