No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I think the odds of Waltz returning are very low - especially if P&W are ousted.

Don't think there'll be many tears over that decision.

Nah. EON knows “Brofeld” wasn’t received well, and even if they ignored that plot element, bringing back Waltz would still remind everyone. I have a feeling SPECTRE in general won’t be a part of it. The more we move along, the more I do feel like we’ll get something more standalone.

Why on earth couldn't they realise that before the film was released?

They did realise that, it's just that there wasn't enough time to do anything about it. (Well, they could have delayed the movie, but they didn't want to do that.)

I didn't mean on the night of the premiere but maybe in, say, pre production?

+1! Alarms should have been ringing before they even started filming…

They were ringing!

"its a sloppy mess" - Sony executive Amy Pascal on the script in May 2014

"It is mess" and "Logan is a bit of a fraud. I did not communicate with Sam only Babbzy who us beside herself and furious with them" - Sony executive Elizabeth Cantillon in May 2014

"There is something wrong with this movie. It doesn't want to come together" - Amy Pascal in July 2014

"I'm really worried." - Sam Mendes in July 2014

Never heard those comments before. Where were they taken from?

They are from the Sony leaks. I have saved every single Spectre related e-mail that leaked at the end of 2014.

Didn't follow those leaks back then, so that was interesting to read. Wonder why no action was taken?

I didn't read them either at the time due to wanting to avoid any spoilers. It would be interesting to read them now, however.

It seems that everything is leaked these days from high politics to films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I guess their record is just about average at present:

GE, CR, SF - Good
    TND, QOS - Average
    TWINE, DAD, SP - Bad
    That's pretty much how I view it.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I think the odds of Waltz returning are very low - especially if P&W are ousted.

Nah. EON knows “Brofeld” wasn’t received well, and even if they ignored that plot element, bringing back Waltz would still remind everyone. I have a feeling SPECTRE in general won’t be a part of it. The more we move along, the more I do feel like we’ll get something more standalone.

They did realise that, it's just that there wasn't enough time to do anything about it. (Well, they could have delayed the movie, but they didn't want to do that.)

They were ringing!

"It is mess" and "Logan is a bit of a fraud. I did not communicate with Sam only Babbzy who us beside herself and furious with them" - Sony executive Elizabeth Cantillon in May 2014

"There is something wrong with this movie. It doesn't want to come together" - Amy Pascal in July 2014

They are from the Sony leaks. I have saved every single Spectre related e-mail that leaked at the end of 2014.

Didn't follow those leaks back then, so that was interesting to read. Wonder why no action was taken?

I didn't read them either at the time due to wanting to avoid any spoilers. It would be interesting to read them now, however.

It seems that everything is leaked these days from high politics to films.

It does seem that way, yes. Unsure how much I want to know about Bond 25 before it's released. Will probably watch the teaser trailer, and take it from there.

Right now, any news is welcome, though…
  • FoxRox wrote: »

They were ringing!

That's why Purvis and Wade were summoned back. After Bamigboye reported about it, one Sony executive wondered in an email if P&W's agent leaked it.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,808

They were ringing!

That's why Purvis and Wade were summoned back. After Bamigboye reported about it, one Sony executive wondered in an email if P&W's agent leaked it.

It's bound to be an inside job in order to precipitate some sort of action. It's the same reason why it's done in high politics too, mind. Someone somewhere hopes to gain out of the inside leak.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

They were ringing!

It's bound to be an inside job in order to precipitate some sort of action. It's the same reason why it's done in high politics too, mind. Someone somewhere hopes to gain out of the inside leak.
    Precisely, and that's exactly what's been going on in 2017/2018 with these strategic leaks about B25 as well.

They were ringing!

I see. Sneaky way of doing things, but guess it's more common than we'd like to know.
    bondjames wrote: »

GE, CR, SF - Good
    TND, QOS - Average
    TWINE, DAD, SP - Bad

@bondjames I thought you hated SF in addition to SP?
    bondjames wrote: »

GE, CR, SF - Good
    TND, QOS - Average
    TWINE, DAD, SP - Bad

@bondjames I thought you hated SF in addition to SP?
    @FoxRox, I don't hate. That's such a strong word, and it's not something I'm partial to.

It's true that I dislike SP a lot, but it's not even my lowest ranked Bond film. As I said a few pages back, I think an argument can be made (if it was to be Craig's last) that it's the best 'last' Bond film from a long serving actor. I currently have it at 19 or 20.

Regarding SF, it has consistently been in my top 10 since it was released. I think I currently have it at 7 or 8 and it's been as high as 6. So I'm not sure why you have the impression that I dislike it. I agree it has plotholes and what not but it's easily one of the best Bond films to come out of the Barbara Broccoli leadership regime. I actually enjoy viewing it more than I enjoy viewing CR, although I objectively rank the first film higher.

I actually don't mind Mendes either, and wouldn't have a problem if he returned for B25.
    I definitely confused you with someone else then. Perhaps it was @ClarkDevlin...
    Yes, perhaps. I know he's not too fond of SF.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That’s putting it mildly. ;)
    The next one has to be better than SP. if SP was to be his last then he went out on a "good" note.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    @ClarkDevlin, and Spectre?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    @ClarkDevlin, and Spectre?
    I like that one better.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    CR - Great
    SF - Good
    QOS, SP - Average
    GE, TWINE - Below average
    TND - Bad
    DAD - God awful

EON falls just short of average.

This aligns more closely with my take.

I would say:

CR and QOS - good
    SP - average
    TND and SF - below average
    GE and DAD - bad
    TWINE - yawn
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    CR, SF - excellent
    QoS, GE - good
    TND, TWINE - average
    DAD, SP - below average
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 5,767
    TR007 wrote: »
    GE, CR, SF - Fantastic
    TND, TWINE, SP - Good
    QOS - Godawful

DAD is so bad it can’t be listed...
    I prefer DAD any day and by a long shot over SF and SP.

boldfinger wrote: »
    GE, CR, SF - Fantastic
    TND, TWINE, SP - Good
    QOS - Godawful
    +1
    I find DAD less disappointing than SF. By that point in the Brosnan era DAD was the logical next step.

I don’t rewatch either though.
    GE, CR, SF - Fantastic
    TND, TWINE, SP - Good
    QOS - Godawful

Yeah some top class dialogue in that film - 'Yo momma' 'say hello to gravity'
    GE, CR, SF - Fantastic
    TND, TWINE, SP - Good
    QOS - Godawful

Can’t agree at all but it seems to be a common opinion - at least preferred over SP. DAD was mostly painful my last watch - far worse than any other EON Bond for my tastes. It’s everything gone wrong pretty much. SP is seriously flawed, but has more good scenes I think.
    Dennison wrote: »
    GE, CR, SF - Fantastic
    TND, TWINE, SP - Good
    QOS - Godawful

What, are you trying to say the last two films had less examples of that?
    DAD works perfectly fine as a persiflage, and its pace is good enough to outshine the ridiculous storyline (which means it has terrific pacing), whereas SF and SP just drag endlessly.

Well I want more from a Bond movie than just "pacing". DAD is simply abysmal in every department. Both SF and SP have flaws but are a much easier watch. Last time I viewed DAD I switched it off midway (I was lucky to get that far!). Something I haven't done with any Bond movie, and that includes Brossa other efforts!
    GE, CR, SF - Fantastic
    TND, TWINE, SP - Good
    QOS - Godawful

Just speak for yourself. I for myself would take it any day of the week over SF and Spectre.
    I find any movie where the girl brings fruit and a knife into bed a bit unsettling.
    DAD over SP I can understand a little, but DAD over SF? I just can’t follow at all.
    Dennison wrote: »
    GE, CR, SF - Fantastic
    TND, TWINE, SP - Good
    QOS - Godawful

At least it was the last time we saw James Bond flirting convincingly.
    DAD over SP I can understand a little, but DAD over SF? I just can’t follow at all.

Simple. It is just much more intelligently written than SF. Which says a lot about Skyfall.