No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Michael Shannon would be more imposing in a villain role than most actors in the series so far, I think. The intensity!

giphy.gif
    Can he do an accent? I don't find Yanks that intimidating.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Can he do an accent? I don't find Yanks that intimidating.

If you don't find Michael Shannon intimidating, then a hamfisted English accent isn't going to change much.
    I'm lucky enough to have met Mr Shannon personally on a few occasions. He has a theater in Chicago where he still performs and directs occasionally. He's just about the nicest guy you'll ever meet but plays the best villians and over the top characters. I would be very much on board with him in a Bond film. I'm surprised his name never came up with the Mendes films seeing as how Shannon was nominated an Oscar for a film directed by Mendes.
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    You want to know why Danny Boyle changed his mind on doing a Bond movie? I'll tell you why: it's because he has discovered that the gift certificate he's kept in his pocket for the last ten years - a gift certificate he wrote out to himself, labeled "28 Months Later" - is surprisingly difficult to spend.

"Danny, we'd love to make this movie with you, but you don't have any experience directing hundred-million dollar effect extravaganzas, which is what a 28 Months picture would have to be. Go do a Star War, then we'll talk again."

He does this Bond to pay some dues, and then afterwards he'll do 28 Months Later.

In 2050 he goes full Linklater with "28 Years Later."
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Michael Shannon is one of my favourite actors working today, he's almost always the best part of whatever he's in. He seems to fit in with everything that's required to make a great, memorable Bond villain. Ridiculous 'article' but it would make for excellent casting.
    NSGW wrote: »
    Michael Shannon is one of my favourite actors working today, he's almost always the best part of whatever he's in. He seems to fit in with everything that's required to make a great, memorable Bond villain. Ridiculous 'article' but it would make for excellent casting.

Totally agree here. Didn't watch all the seasons of Boardwalk Empire, but he was brilliant in it. Highlight of several scenes, that's for sure!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2018 Posts: 9,117
    I've only seen Shannon in Man Of Steel (terrible film) and the most enthusiasm I can muster is a large 'meh'.

Cassel a far better option.

So I presume we're all assuming at this stage that the likelihood of Waltz returning is negligible?
    I think the odds of Waltz returning are very low - especially if P&W are ousted.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I think the odds of Waltz returning are very low - especially if P&W are ousted.

Don't think there'll be many tears over that decision.

Nah. EON knows “Brofeld” wasn’t received well, and even if they ignored that plot element, bringing back Waltz would still remind everyone. I have a feeling SPECTRE in general won’t be a part of it. The more we move along, the more I do feel like we’ll get something more standalone.

Nah. EON knows “Brofeld” wasn’t received well, and even if they ignored that plot element, bringing back Waltz would still remind everyone. I have a feeling SPECTRE in general won’t be a part of it. The more we move along, the more I do feel like we’ll get something more standalone.

Why on earth couldn't they realise that before the film was released? Anyone can get things right in hindsight which is why for me Babs and MGW are seriously on trial with B25. They greenlit DAD (for which somebody - and not Pierce - should've been sacked) but anyone can make a mistake and it looked like they managed to learn from it with CR, yet only 3 films down the line they allowed some equally shocking decisions to make it onto the screen.

How would Oscar Wilde have put it?

'To make one shit film could be labelled a misfortune. To make two seems like incompetence.'
    I can forgive them because they have helped delivered three of my all-time favorites: GE, CR, and SF. That being said, DAD and SP were definitely weaker as Bond films, and after 25 I think a change of direction would be for the best.

Why on earth couldn't they realise that before the film was released?

They did realise that, it's just that there wasn't enough time to do anything about it. (Well, they could have delayed the movie, but they didn't want to do that.)
    edited February 2018 Posts: 9,117

They did realise that, it's just that there wasn't enough time to do anything about it. (Well, they could have delayed the movie, but they didn't want to do that.)

I didn't mean on the night of the premiere but maybe in, say, pre production?
    I can forgive them because they have helped delivered three of my all-time favorites: GE, CR, and SF. That being said, DAD and SP were definitely weaker as Bond films, and after 25 I think a change of direction would be for the best.

I guess their record is just about average at present:

GE, CR, SF - Good
    TND, QOS - Average
    TWINE, DAD, SP - Bad

+1! Alarms should have been ringing before they even started filming…

The fact that the script was in such a terrible state on the first day of filming suggests gross dereliction of duty in pre production.

The fact that the script was in such a terrible state on the first day of filming suggests gross dereliction of duty in pre production.

Indeed. Just can't get over what SP turned out to be, some nice cinematography aside.

I guess their record is just about average at present:

GE, CR, SF - Good
    TND, QOS - Average
    TWINE, DAD, SP - Bad

For me I’d say:
    GE, CR, SF - Great
    QOS - Good
    TND - Average
    TWINE, DAD, SP - Mediocre/Disappointing

Hate to call any EON film flat-out “bad.”

They were ringing!

"its a sloppy mess" - Sony executive Amy Pascal on the script in May 2014

"It is mess" and "Logan is a bit of a fraud. I did not communicate with Sam only Babbzy who us beside herself and furious with them" - Sony executive Elizabeth Cantillon in May 2014

"There is something wrong with this movie. It doesn't want to come together" - Amy Pascal in July 2014

"I'm really worried." - Sam Mendes in July 2014
    GE, CR, SF - Fantastic
    TND, TWINE, SP - Good
    QOS - Godawful
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    CR - Great
    SF - Good
    QOS, SP - Average
    GE, TWINE - Below average
    TND - Bad
    DAD - God awful

EON falls just short of average.

They were ringing!

"It is mess" and "Logan is a bit of a fraud. I did not communicate with Sam only Babbzy who us beside herself and furious with them" - Sony executive Elizabeth Cantillon in May 2014

"There is something wrong with this movie. It doesn't want to come together" - Amy Pascal in July 2014

Never heard those comments before. Where were they taken from?
    If Eon wanted to go in a more lighthearted direction why not Taika Waititi as the director? He would smash it. Would love to see Bond with a Kiwi flavour and humour.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,808
    Reddit as a source? That's not gonna end well! ;)
    TR007 wrote: »
    GE, CR, SF - Fantastic
    TND, TWINE, SP - Good
    QOS - Godawful

DAD is so bad it can’t be listed...
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    GE, CR, SF - Fantastic
    TND, TWINE, SP - Good
    QOS - Godawful

The film which must not be named.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Strog wrote: »
    GE, CR, SF - Fantastic
    TND, TWINE, SP - Good
    QOS - Godawful

The film which must not be named.

Its like 1984 all over again. DAD never existed.

They were ringing!

They are from the Sony leaks. I have saved every single Spectre related e-mail that leaked at the end of 2014.

They were ringing!

They are from the Sony leaks. I have saved every single Spectre related e-mail that leaked at the end of 2014.

Didn't follow those leaks back then, so that was interesting to read. Wonder why no action was taken?