No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    So how do we sum this news up?

P&W have a finished draft that has been pitched to a handful of directors.

Boyle & Hodge have an idea of their own that they’re currently working out.

The powers that be will decide which story they want to go with?

Does this sound about right?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    So how do we sum this news up?

P&W have a finished draft that has been pitched to a handful of directors.

Boyle & Hodge have an idea of their own that they’re currently working out.

The powers that be will decide which story they want to go with?

Does this sound about right?

Except that who directs if the P&W script wins? According to Reddit user they royally cheesed off Demange to the point where he's pursuing legal action, so he's out. Mendes could return? Someone else?
  • Have to say this all sounds made up to me. The simple fact is that if indeed any of these stories are true this franchise is getting managed extremely badly by eon and especially MGM. This franchise has been very popular in recent films and the people in charge can't even release a new film regular our with any understanding how to finance and move forward with the character. For me I wish a studio and production company like marvel our Star Wars was created with a long term plans this franchise deserves!
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Except that who directs if the P&W script wins?
    That's the thing: the P&W script won't win, even if BB & MGW preferred that to Hodge's screenplay. They want a big name director. Even more importantly: Craig wants a big name director.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    That's the thing: the P&W script won't win, even if BB & MGW preferred that to Hodge's screenplay. They want a big name director. Even more importantly: Craig wants a big name director.

Yep, chasing the prestige

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    When do people think we'll get the next official announcement? I'm thinking early May.

I think if nothing is announced until May, the announcement will be that Craig has left and Bond 25 is pushed back until at least 2020. March/April should give us SOMETHING concrete. It's only about 20 months until the premiere after all, and apparently they don't even have a first draft yet.

That will be quite a middle finger to fans if Craig backs out after the announcement on Colbert's program and subsequent media frenzy. What a disaster.
    Was there really a media frenzy though? There was the announcement, and conflicting reporting the subsequent day (because he in fact contradicted himself by saying one thing in the morning and something opposite in the evening). Then everyone moved on.

More than anything, his Colbert remarks killed the two year tiresome and damaging conversation about 'wrist slash', and I think that's what he was sent out to do. I only saw that topic make its way back into the media discussion after his strange appearance at the BAFTAs a few weeks back.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The Craig era is going to end on one big, massive stinker for me if he does indeed drop out after all this time.
    I on the other hand think SP would have been a great way for him to end it. Despite my dislike for the film I believe, if it is to be his last, that it is probably the best of the final entries from a long serving actor (certainly better than DAF, AVTAK or DAD). That's why I couldn't understand why he decided to come back. Every time I view it I think it's a 'send-off' film.
    talos7 wrote: »

Yep, chasing the prestige
    If all of this is true, then it sure seems that way.
    If true, very suprised how Eon treated Demange.

I think EON is still hung up on whether to continue on from Spectre or go standalone with Boyles idea
    The amazing thing is that EON still has no clue and that shows in the previous 3 movies. People complain about the Brosnan years but EON's direction has just been as dubious with Craig after CR. Both Brosnan & Craig have not improved since their first movie.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what level of credibility to place on CashleyPersia's comments, but the discussion about Demange being shafted doesn't really surprise me. It was not too long ago that Brosnan was poorly treated too, as many recall. So there is precedent for EON making decisions purely on the basis of business.
    I'm not sure what level of credibility to place on CashleyPersia's comments, but the discussion about Demange being shafted doesn't really surprise me. It was not too long ago that Brosnan was poorly treated too, as many recall. So there is precedent for EON making decisions purely on the basis of business.

Cubby will be doing cartwheels in his coffin. While he was a business man first he was loyal to his people perhaps to a fault.
    SaintMark wrote: »

Cubby will be doing cartwheels in his coffin. While he was a business man first he was loyal to his people perhaps to a fault.
    This is all conjecture at this point of course and we should keep that in mind.

I hope we get more clarity soon, but still think somewhere in May is when we'll learn more.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He posted some more on Reddit:

"To be honest, I genuinely thought Nolan would do it.

I heard he met with Eon and was encouraged to have an original idea. I heard the idea was in development, so I suspected it was for Bond 25. But I've heard an equal amount of talk that Eon want to take a backseat moving forward and are looking for someone else to make the films. There was some loose talk amongst industry folk that could be Chris Nolan. But there is a fair degree of conjecture and guesswork involved in that assumption. I know Eon plan to move away from Bond after the next one.

I heard the other director they were speaking to was Bennett Miller. To be honest, I don't know how true that is. Hence why I didn't say initially."
    Bennett Miller seems unlikely, as Persia himself says.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 616
    I totally forgot about Bennett Miller. He seems to have dropped off the radar in the three years since FOXCATCHER.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I like the idea of exploring multiple possibilities with P&W and Boyle/Hodge, but if it is in fact true that the latter two had only been working on the script for a week before the news broke, that's too bad. This persistent search for famous directors appears to be slowing things down. I almost wish no big time filmmakers worked out for Bond 25 and they were forced to go with a lesser name, someone who hopefully managed to do a sterling job, to remind everyone --producers, MGM and potential or actual worldwide distributor-- that while it's not a bad idea to hire A-list people, it's not an imperative either.
    I wonder if the screwups on The Rhythm Section (which have pushed the film back quite a few months) have precipitated this apparent change of tack by EoN (letting Demange's supposed contract 'that never was' expire and hiring Boyle/Hodge).
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    There we go
    X9mldmFl.png
    There we go
    X9mldmFl.png

No... please...
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    The Reddit comments sound so crazy it might actually be true.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Development hell? You guys kill me.
    One thing is for sure - this is not the best time to be a Bond fan. For me personally at least, worse than the wait between QoS and SF.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    419-%2BVzkisL._AC_UL320_SR206,320_.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    There are Bond comics and Bond novels getting released in this time gap, so I have no problem.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    One thing is for sure - this is not the best time to be a Bond fan.

Precisely. Development hell was a bit of a tongue in cheek remark on my part. Nevertheless, if things don't move forward in the next few months it may be a completely accurate statement.
    This is painful & stressful especially since I’m a Craig fan & I’m ecstatic he’s (supposedly) coming back for Bond 25. I’ve got a lot of hope and excitement riding on this film. The lack of news is killing me.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    edited February 2018 Posts: 566
    This is painful & stressful especially since I’m a Craig fan & I’m ecstatic he’s (supposedly) coming back for Bond 25. I’ve got a lot of hope and excitement riding on this film. The lack of news is killing me.

I feel your pain. I am very much looking forward to Bond 25 staring Daniel Craig.

Has anyone contacted Baz Bamigboye for comment on the Boyle news?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bentley007 wrote: »

I feel your pain. I am very much looking forward to Bond 25 staring Daniel Craig.

Good point. Is someone willing to ask Baz via Twitter? I'd do it myself but I have asked him enough questions in the past year or so.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    jake24 wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Good point. Is someone willing to ask Baz via Twitter? I'd do it myself but I have asked him enough questions in the past year or so.

Asked him to no avail.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I stand by what I said right after the awards show fiasco, within a month or so Daniel Craig will be displayed in some way and he will look great. At this point he’s eating clean , in the gym and any cosmetic work he may, or may not have had done will have subsided or reversed to a degree.
    All of this talk of him backing out is completely premature. In the eyes of the public, he is James Bond and dramatically announced, to thunderous applause, that he will be returning.
    Trust me, the next time he makes a major appearance he will look great and ready to go out with a bang as 007.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I stand by what I said right after the awards show fiasco, within a month or so Daniel Craig will be displayed in some way and he will look great. At this point he’s eating clean , in the gym and any cosmetic work he may, or may not have had done will have subsided or reversed to a degree.
    All of this talk of him backing out is completely premature. In the eyes of the public, he is James Bond and dramatically announced, to thunderous applause, that he will be returning.
    Trust me, the next time he makes a major appearance he will look great and ready to go out with a bang as 007.

Praying you’re right.