No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I actually like Quantum of Solace very much, would have preferred License Revoked, rather than To Kill, but I’m afraid all of the remaining Fleming titles leave me flat for film titled.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Given Craig will be exiting after this film (I honestly can't see him credibly continuing unless they want to do a story about a senior citizen in semi-retirement), I think he'll want some acting 'beef' in the script.

I can't see him wanting to do big budget action fare after he leaves EON and so something which gives him an opportunity to showcase his acting skills while drawing a large audience may have been 'his' personal motivation for returning. Maybe that's what he was promised. It will give him a springboard to do other 'prestige' work once this gig is finished. Keep in mind he's hardly been visible as an actor outside of Bond for the past 7 or so years, so he needs to reintroduce himself.

----
    65% chance it will be called “BOND”

or maybe just "JAMES".
    I think the predictable and uninventive title may be left for the B26 anniversary film which introduces a new actor. 'James Bond OO7' has a certain air to it.

I'm still predicting a simple title like "JAMES BOND" won't happen until after the Eon sale when an unimaginative producer gets their paws on 007, and makes a CGI filled Marvel inspired adventure that casts Robert Downey Jr as Bond. Until then I think the titles are safe in Eon's hands. Although the title, SP is sometimes criticized as being a bit on the dull side, it was still reasonably Bondian.

It should have been called "Cats in the cradle".

On a serious note, I think Craig's fifth will be more bleak in tone than any of Craig's films to date.

Once Craig quits, we'll get a fun larger than life formula entry than completely throws out the naval gazing of the Craig films. That'll come with the 60th anniversary, and it'll be a true celebration of the character in all his glory.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I want a cool title similar to Quantum of Solace. Such a cool sounding title!

The Hildebrand Rarity is still available. I always liked Risico and The Property of A Lady.

I doubt we'll see The Hildebrand Rarity, and definitely not for the film after Spectre.
    So what are they waiting for at the moment? Has the project hit another snag?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Getafix wrote: »
    Never heard that Fleming described Bond as left of centre. I’d say that this broadly fits the way in which the character has been portrayed on screen though. Bond is defending liberal values against totalitarians and tyrants. He’s obviously an internationalist and an interventionist. By today’s standards this would mark him out as a rabid liberal in the UK and US.

He was also I would say (despite the racism in the books) ahead of the curve on race. Screen Bond is relatively free of prejudice in that area. And despite the supposed misogyny and sexism (of which there’s a fair amount), the films incorporated strong, assertive female characters from very early on. So Bond is practically a Guardian reader.
    So, what you're saying is that, just because one is an internationalist, one is instantly a liberal, but a conservative is a tyrant and totalitarian? Do check out North Korea, Cuba and the late Soviet Union.

Also, Bond may have been somewhat of a left of the center in the books, but the screen Bond pre-Craig showed more conservatism than any other character managed to do. The literary Bond wasn't patriotic and was described as somewhat being cowardly, whereas the screen Bond (even Craig) was always patriotic and held Britain above all else while encouraging worldwide international equality and fought for world peace.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    I think Boyle would be a more than solid choice, really enjoyed Steve Jobs. I would guess, if it is him, we wont find out for certain for at least another month or two though.
    Agreed. Right now his name being involved has rather lifted my spirits. Not sure what I’d expect from a Boyle Bond movie as his work is pretty eclectic but I’m sure it wouldn’t be boring.
    What worries me about Boyle is that Bond Movies, along with Indiana Jones and Star Wars (the big 3, where my childhood concerns) are very traditional films. I'm not massively acquainted with Boyle, but what I have seen is very modern in terms of camera work and effects. I don't know whether he would communicate the heritage of such a franchise well visually. He would make I imagine a very "here and now" film, at the expense of it feeling in any way connected to a larger legacy.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I actually like Quantum of Solace very much, would have preferred License Revoked, rather than To Kill, but I’m afraid all of the remaining Fleming titles leave me flat for film titled.

Agreed,that is 100% a better title,shame they didn't go with it,and bowed to pressure from US viewers etc.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Apart from 28 Days Later I haven’t been impressed with Boyle to be honest.

Looking at his other work he’s not the man who will bring back the style and classy nature of Bond. If anything it will be more working class than before.

Hope he can prove me wrong.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    barryt007 wrote: »

Agreed,that is 100% a better title,shame they didn't go with it,and bowed to pressure from US viewers etc.
    From what I understand, test screenings indicated that audiences stateside associated the term with revoking one's driver's license. I watched Lethal Weapon 2 a few weeks back (released in the same year) and coincidentally the term 'revoked' was used in that film in a pivotal scene (and not in the context of cars). It made $147M in the US that year vs. LTK's $34M, so perhaps they should have just had the balls to use the original title rather than relying on a sample focus group.
    Bond 25 will likely not be titled bond
    The interview with Boyle that was referenced earlier was from 2013. A lot can change in nearly 5 years and maybe Boyle has had a change of heart. Also given MGM's financial woes i reckon they would be more than happy to have a lower budget Bond. I think EON and Craig have gone to Boyle and said if you come on board you can basically make the Bond movie you want to make and he's gotten together with John Hodge to see what they can come up with. I dont think we will be hearing anything confirmed until everyone has had chance to read Hodge's script.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    The interview with Boyle that was referenced earlier was from 2013. A lot can change in nearly 5 years and maybe Boyle has had a change of heart. Also given MGM's financial woes i reckon they would be more than happy to have a lower budget Bond. I think EON and Craig have gone to Boyle and said if you come on board you can basically make the Bond movie you want to make and he's gotten together with John Hodge to see what they can come up with. I dont think we will be hearing anything confirmed until everyone has had chance to read Hodge's script.

And what if they don't like it? Ring Demange up and start filming the next week?

And what if they don't like it? Ring Demange up and start filming the next week?
    That appears unlikely because of Craig imho. From what I can discern, he has been moving them away from Demange since he committed. First by championing Villeneueve and now Boyle. I know they pointed the fingers at Annapurna, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's behind it. I can't see him going the Demange route.

That appears unlikely because of Craig imho. From what I can discern, he has been moving them away from Demange since he committed. First by championing Villeneueve and now Boyle. I know they pointed the fingers at Annapurna, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's behind it. I can't see him going the Demange route.

But, if they are planning on a 2019 release they have to go with someone, right? I mean, if they get this script from Hodge and don't like it, then that's Boyle out of the window, unless they are prepared to go without whatever Boyle and Hodge deliver just to keep Dan happy. If not, they need someone else ready to go pretty quickly, and if not Demange then there's only a few names that they could go to.

I remember Roger Mitchell was offered Quantum but refused on such a short schedule. I'd imagine the type of talent Craig is interested in working with would all need more time than is available now (about 10 months before shooting), so what happens if (supposed) talks with Boyle break down? From the information we have it sounds like they are sailing awfully close to the wind on this one.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,756
    The title "The Property of a Lady" sounds too passe to work on a modern day film.

Also, there will never be a Bond film named 007 in New York. If they ever do, I will pull a Panchito.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The Property of a Lady is definitely a beautiful title in my book.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883

But, if they are planning on a 2019 release they have to go with someone, right? I mean, if they get this script from Hodge and don't like it, then that's Boyle out of the window, unless they are prepared to go without whatever Boyle and Hodge deliver just to keep Dan happy. If not, they need someone else ready to go pretty quickly, and if not Demange then there's only a few names that they could go to.

I remember Roger Mitchell was offered Quantum but refused on such a short schedule. I'd imagine the type of talent Craig is interested in working with would all need more time than is available now (about 10 months before shooting), so what happens if (supposed) talks with Boyle break down? From the information we have it sounds like they are sailing awfully close to the wind on this one.
    I'm sure there's more to this than we know. The leaks have been selective and very coincidental in timing. In my view if Boyle and Hodge are involved as speculated, then it probably will be them who get the job.

RE: sailing close to the wind: that seems to be an EON approach since forever. Sometimes I wonder, if not for the money, why any actor or director in his right mind would take the gig.

I'm sure there's more to this than we know. The leaks have been selective and very coincidental in timing. In my view if Boyle and Hodge are involved as speculated, then it probably will be them who get the job.

RE: sailing close to the wind: that seems to be an EON approach since forever. Sometimes I wonder, if not for the money, why any actor or director in his right mind would take the gig.

Haha, yes.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,297
    Quick question: Purvis and Wade were announced for Bond 25, weren't they?
    Yes, along with the release date announcement.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I know it won't happen, but given it's Craig's last film, go with a bit of Fleming and use Revolver of Resignation as a title. Catchy, damn unique, fitting for the end of an era, and still captures the Fleming spirit.
    I think Boyle means we won't see Maddy in Bond 25. Or Waltz for that matter.
    To be fair we have no real idea how long Hodges has been working on a script. This could have been in the works for months and we've only just found out about it. We do know they already have W&Ps script to fall back on. However if i was Demange i wouldnt be thrilled at being second best choice
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 15,825

I always preferred Licence Revoked as well. Considering this was the first Eon Bond with a made up title, Licence To Kill ended up sounding cliched in a Bond film which was anything but cliched.
    In addition the Bob peak artwork posters for Licence Revoked I thought were far superior to what was the end result.
    The Property of A Lady is still my favorite title of the remaining short stories. When B22 was announced as Quantum of Solace, I was thrilled because it lead me to feel the Craig era just might be a true return to Fleming using the remaining titles for his era.

Oh well. Perhaps one day?

I see. Could the rumoured "competing" script by Boyle/Hodge mean that Purvis and Wade haven't come up with a story EON see fit to produce?

I see. Could the rumoured "competing" script by Boyle/Hodge mean that Purvis and Wade haven't come up with a story EON see fit to produce?
    It's possible, or alternatively they may just have been forced to go in another direction on account of their troubles in finding a director (Craig wanted Villeneuve, but that ultimately wasn't possible due to scheduling). Presumably someone like Boyle would only get involved if his own favoured scribe had considerable input. If it means something inventive rather than an obvious 'Logan' style old man film then I'm all for it.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I know it won't happen, but given it's Craig's last film, go with a bit of Fleming and use Revolver of Resignation as a title. Catchy, damn unique, fitting for the end of an era, and still captures the Fleming spirit.

LOVE IT!