No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    I really hope that Danny Boyle and John Hodge ask Alex Garland to help with their script.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Boyle won’t bring patriotism. He’s about as left as they come.

Fine by me. I'd quite like a Bond film with liberal left leaning undertones. Guess the challenge there is managing it without undermining Bond himself since the character and the whole set up is fairly conservative.
    patb wrote: »
    Yes, just like the Olympics?

Good point. If he signed off on Bond jumping out of a helicopter with a queen I don't think we have to worry about his political views meaning the character gets mistreated in the same way we would if someone like Paul Greengrass got it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Is it not possible to be patriotic and apolitical? Or patriotic and liberal? Surely patriotism is not wholly associated with conservative values in England? At least it wasn't when I lived there.

When I suggested that Boyle could make a patriotic Bond film I wasn't suggesting a conservative one necessarily.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    Is it not possible to be patriotic and apolitical? Or patriotic and liberal? Surely patriotism is not wholly associated with conservative values in England? At least it wasn't when I lived there.

In England in 2018 patriotism equates to right/alt right values. I certainly agree that you can be patriotic and left leaning, but you’ll struggle to find advocacy. I imagine Bond in this day and age would be centrist, but that’s not a thing anymore.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »

In England in 2018 patriotism equates to right/alt right values. I certainly agree that you can be patriotic and left leaning, but you’ll struggle to find advocacy. I imagine Bond in this day and age would be centrist, but that’s not a thing anymore.
    Ah, I see. So it has become politicized and bastardized, perhaps on account of the Brexit fiasco and repercussions. That's unfortunate but not unexpected. It seems to be the case in most Western societies. I suppose the new understanding is that patriotism means overt nationalism means alt right.

Well if it is Boyle, perhaps EON and he can in fact make a Bond film which captures the essence of British patriotism and pride without descending into political tomfoolery. That would certainly be in tune with the classic Bond films and would create a final product which could stand the test of time.
    Boyle is a clever guy, if you look at the Olympics, he focussed on themes that were about people and community (NHS, family, Windrush, suffragette) and avoided the predicatable cliches that others would have fallen into.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd rather Bond stays apolitical.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    +1
    And I think patriotism can transcend political ideology.

talos7 wrote: »
    +1
    Yes, it would. One man's idea of patriotism differs from another man's variation of it.
  • vzok wrote: »
    Fleming didn't exactly create UNCLE. Fleming created the character of Napoleon Solo and April Dancer (the Girl from UNCLE). The show was to be originally titled Ian Fleming's Solo, but then he was forced to sell his rights to the IP for a buck (literally) due to pressure from Saltzman and Broccoli.
    What was the pressure from Saltzsman and Broccoli all about?
    I can't recall exactly, but @AlexanderWaverly is the expert on the matter, so I'll leave that to him.

Attorneys for Broccoli and Saltzman sent a "cease and desist" letter, citing production of Goldfinger (where one of the gangsters was named Solo).

The text of that letter and other Fleming-related UNCLE correspondence can be found here:

https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/text-from-letters-about-ian-flemings-u-n-c-l-e-involvement/
  • One other Fleming-related UNCLE bit cited in this thread.

Fleming created a character call April Dancer, but she was more of a Moneypenny secretary type.

NBC, the network that showed UNCLE, was keen on a woman UNCLE agent. (Apparently the wife of an NBC executive got her husband interested.)

A writer named Dean Hargrove wrote the pilot script. He wasn't pleased with the names being bandied about. He saw the Fleming notes, liked the April Dancer name and used it. The pilot appeared as an episode of The Man From UNCLE ("The Moonglow Affair").
  • bondsum wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's nonsense too.
    It's not nonsense. Deadline.com is a reputable, trustworthy site.
    I'm sure it is. Let's see. Some of us were quite certain it was going to be Nolan too up until recently, if I recall correctly.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Deadline.com that broke the news about Yann Demange, Denis Villeneuve and David Mackenzie being the front-runners for Bond 25 back in July last year that everybody repeated elsewhere? They never tipped Nolan as a possible candidate as far as I know, unless you're referring to Pistoles fervid belief that Nolan was signed up already, which no one (apart from himself) believed anyway.

Deadline had the trio of Demange, Villeneuve and David Mackenzie. The same day Variety said Demange was the leading contender.

Both stories ran July 26, 2017.

Here's a timeline of that and other Bond 25 related developments.

https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/bond-25-timeline/
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »
    +1
    Yes, it would. One man's idea of patriotism differs from another man's variation of it.

Oh yes, that's why I said can, and not does ;)

Bentley007 wrote: »
    I really hope that Danny Boyle and John Hodge ask Alex Garland to help with their script.

Great suggestion. I’d have touted Garland as director as well. Thought ex machina was very good
    vzok wrote: »
    Fleming didn't exactly create UNCLE. Fleming created the character of Napoleon Solo and April Dancer (the Girl from UNCLE). The show was to be originally titled Ian Fleming's Solo, but then he was forced to sell his rights to the IP for a buck (literally) due to pressure from Saltzman and Broccoli.
    What was the pressure from Saltzsman and Broccoli all about?
    I can't recall exactly, but @AlexanderWaverly is the expert on the matter, so I'll leave that to him.

Attorneys for Broccoli and Saltzman sent a "cease and desist" letter, citing production of Goldfinger (where one of the gangsters was named Solo).

The text of that letter and other Fleming-related UNCLE correspondence can be found here:

https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/text-from-letters-about-ian-flemings-u-n-c-l-e-involvement/

Thanks a lot for that information.
    Yes, I've always been fond of Alex Garland getting involved in a Bond movie too.
    I am a proponent of Garland's as well, and wouldn't be averse to him both writing and directing a future Bond entry. I'll be checking out Annihilation next week.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Fleming described him as slightly left of the centre.
    DB for JB
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Yes, he did. But, never was that blatantly struck upon the viewer as to be the right morale to take up on or was ever showcased to point out one side is right and the other is wrong. So, I still stand by my statement, Bond should remain apolitical. They've been one for over 50 years, and have adopted people from both sides. Glorify one political side, you're going to alienate the other.
    My guess is if it is Boyle he will be announced next month
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes, he did. But, never was that blatantly struck upon the viewer as to be the right morale to take up on or was ever showcased to point out one side is right and the other is wrong. So, I still stand by my statement, Bond should remain apolitical. They've been one for over 50 years, and have adopted people from both sides. Glorify one political side, you're going to alienate the other.

I agree with that.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Personally, the only reason I think Danny Boyle would be interested in bond 25 would be from a political direction. I'm sure the film wouldn't be an outwardly political piece, but politics and Bond go together hand-in-hand.

I imagine Boyle as a subversive take on the weary old Government agent working for a forgotten power that's desperately clinging to some misremembered idea of sovereignty.

That's a brilliant conceit for the film.

If people think Boyle is the man to bring a bit of flag-waving crowdpleasing to Bond, I reckon they're wrong. Danny Boyle is a very liberal guy, that's not to say he isn't patriotic. The man clearly has a deep love of Britian, but perhaps his conception of British values aren't entirely in sync with the UKIP/"no deal is better than a bad deal" brigade.

I'd be very interested and excited in Boyle's take .

Some of Boyle's comments here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/berlin-2017-danny-boyle-says-a-second-brexit-referendum-would-overturn-uk-leave-974373
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/08/danny-boyle-says-labour-needs-to-be-electable_n_8262300.html
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/danny-boyle-nhs-celebration-tories-london-2012-olympics-opening-ceremony-a7129186.html

Jeremy Corbyn has also spoken very positively of Boyle on Twitter in the past.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    If Boyle brought in Sir Perberton to compose, that would be splendid.
    I imagine Boyle as a subversive take on the weary old Government agent working for a forgotten power that's desperately clinging to some misremembered idea of sovereignty.
    So the antithesis of SF's theme (the old ways' aren't necessarily best)? An interesting idea.
    If people think Boyle is the man to bring a bit of flag-waving crowdpleasing to Bond, I reckon they're wrong.
    Oh that certainly wasn't what I meant. One can definitely be patriotic without being overly simplistic and symbolic about it. A bit of subtlety wouldn't go unappreciated by this viewer. As an example, I thought Nolan's Dunkirk was highly patriotic, but not political. That's the way to play it.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,767
    I think no matter how politically interested a director might be, a good paycheck goes a long way.

Anyhow, it would be clever to leave out superfluous ballast for the next film. It was blatant how Bond´s alleged childhood trauma in SF and SP´s brothergate were completely irrelevant for the story. Any political agenda would probably end up with similar results, being mere catchphrases for the PR tour.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    The last thing they'd make is a patriotic Bond film in today's world. Skyfall for instance would have a different meaning were it made next year. You just cannot run with that theme anymore.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,619
    The only thing that gives this Boyle rumour some credibility for me is that B25 will be the first post-Brexit Bond film (a
    What gives this Boyle rumour real credibility is the fatc that it was reported by deadline.com.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Eon should have had this nailed by now. Four year gaps mean the fans should expect a slicker operation than this. Why wait so long when it’s the same old last minute scramble to get the ducks lined up?! Pretty pathetic
    Well said. Did Boyle and his writer come up with this specific idea just very recently? If not, why isn't Boyle offically on board yet?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Getafix wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Great suggestion. I’d have touted Garland as director as well. Thought ex machina was very good

It would be interesting to see him consult on Bond 25 and depending on that experience perhaps be given the opportunity to fully write and direct Bond 27.
    The only thing that gives this Boyle rumour some credibility for me is that B25 will be the first post-Brexit Bond film (a
    What gives this Boyle rumour real credibility is the fatc that it was reported by deadline.com.
    Apparently I continue to underestimate their obvious importance in the scoop business. Mea culpa.