No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I'm guessing Spring time we'll get something official. I'd like it sooner. For the sake of variety, I think it would be interesting if Eon works out a title as the script is developed rather than try to shoehorn one in late in the game. Wouldn't that be refreshing to have the title announced early so we know what it's called before it goes into production?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I actually like Quantum of Solace very much, would have preferred License Revoked, rather than To Kill, but I’m afraid all of the remaining Fleming titles leave me flat for film titled.

I always preferred Licence Revoked as well. Considering this was the first Eon Bond with a made up title, Licence To Kill ended up sounding cliched in a Bond film which was anything but cliched.
    In addition the Bob peak artwork posters for Licence Revoked I thought were far superior to what was the end result.
    The Property of A Lady is still my favorite title of the remaining short stories. When B22 was announced as Quantum of Solace, I was thrilled because it lead me to feel the Craig era just might be a true return to Fleming using the remaining titles for his era.

Oh well. Perhaps one day?

I believe they will use The Property of A Lady and Risico eventually (Risico in particular is very flexible--could be the name of a mission or even a company (RisiCO). I'm less sure about THR and 007 in New York.

They are likely rationing the last few titles because, once they're gone, they're gone.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Wait, isn't he signed up for B25 already? I thought that was in the bag. If not, they may want to seriously reconsider, given his recent appearance. I couldn't give a toss about his 'high' personally. It's more important that this show gets on the road, whether it be 2019 or whenever.

As I have stated before I would be very surprised if they really had signed him up already given the fact that they are still looking for an investor /distributor.
    And yes I would be very surprised if this investor didn't ask himself the question 'why not go with a young fresh and hungry actor who would be willing for much less pay instead of throwing huge piles of money after a guy who looks like hell these days and is on the record of only doing it for the money anyway'.
    It's certainly an interesting time to be a Bond fan. I think a lot has been happening behind the scenes and we're not truly in the loop. Lots of smoke and mirrors and deception. Playing for the cameras.

This Hodge thing is certainly very interesting, and if it means P&W have finally been retired, I will be a happy man. Their act is a bit tired. Other changes would be welcome too.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,492
    I'm guessing Spring time we'll get something official. I'd like it sooner. For the sake of variety, I think it would be interesting if Eon works out a title as the script is developed rather than try to shoehorn one in late in the game. Wouldn't that be refreshing to have the title announced early so we know what it's called before it goes into production?

I'd love to see the day when they're able to plan far enough in advance that I sit down for a new Bond movie, and as the credits roll, they've already got the title of the next one plastered up. Would give people something to debate and discuss for the future without waiting 2-3 years for the first bit of info regarding the following installment.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I think early to mid May is when we're going to finally get the scoop on what's going on. Expect some surprises.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's Reddit, so take it how you wish

Apparently, Demange has some seriously hurt feelings and there could be legal implications for Eon. The guy was turning down projects on the basis that he'd be spending next two years on Bond."[/b]

Unlikely, since MGW is a lawyer.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 15,825
    echo wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I actually like Quantum of Solace very much, would have preferred License Revoked, rather than To Kill, but I’m afraid all of the remaining Fleming titles leave me flat for film titled.

I always preferred Licence Revoked as well. Considering this was the first Eon Bond with a made up title, Licence To Kill ended up sounding cliched in a Bond film which was anything but cliched.
    In addition the Bob peak artwork posters for Licence Revoked I thought were far superior to what was the end result.
    The Property of A Lady is still my favorite title of the remaining short stories. When B22 was announced as Quantum of Solace, I was thrilled because it lead me to feel the Craig era just might be a true return to Fleming using the remaining titles for his era.

Oh well. Perhaps one day?

I believe they will use The Property of A Lady and Risico eventually (Risico in particular is very flexible--could be the name of a mission or even a company (RisiCO). I'm less sure about THR and 007 in New York.

They are likely rationing the last few titles because, once they're gone, they're gone.
    I like that: RisiCO. That would look great on the poster art.
    THR is somewhat unlikely sadly. I liked that title. I'd prefer the title: Thrilling Cities over 007 in New York. I doubt we'll ever see 007 in New York used as a title.
    I figure the closest we'll get to The Hildebrand Rarity ever being mentioned was the little "easter egg" of sorts in SP.
    Risico and The Property of a Lady are the two titles I most want to see get used. Hopefully one of those for Bond 25.
    Has anyone checked Scooby's schedules for 2019? Open or not?

I'd be surprised if Harris comes back, given she's going to have a lot of face time in Dwayne Johnson's new monkey flick out this year.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,113
    When do people think we'll get the next official announcement? I'm thinking early May.

I think if nothing is announced until May, the announcement will be that Craig has left and Bond 25 is pushed back until at least 2020. March/April should give us SOMETHING concrete. It's only about 20 months until the premiere after all, and apparently they don't even have a first draft yet.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Did they not have a completed SPECTRE script until a few months before filming?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    When do people think we'll get the next official announcement? I'm thinking early May.

I think if nothing is announced until May, the announcement will be that Craig has left and Bond 25 is pushed back until at least 2020. March/April should give us SOMETHING concrete. It's only about 20 months until the premiere after all.
    I actually agree. If there is a May announcement like I believe there will be, it will be transformative. Otherwise status quo prevails.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Apparently they were still tweaking it while the film was shooting! Hardly something I'd want to see again, given the finished product.
    One more Craig film please. It cannot end with SPECTRE! Though poor Brosnan left on an even worse note...
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,755
    Judging by the reddit post it seems P&W have a nearly completed script if directors have been reading it.
    Judging by the reddit post it seems P&W have a nearly completed script if directors have been reading it.
    It seems like few of any repute wanted to carry on with the mess that had been created to date, which is as I expected.

I had assumed by this point they had to have completed the final draft, if not in the process of putting the finishing touches on it. Been long enough, anyway.

If all of this is true, and we have a sort of Demange/P&W versus Boyle/Hodge situation going, and one of the two is what pans out for B25, I'd be eager to see the losing script, and why it wasn't chosen over the other.
    I also would be eager to see which script loses while getting the end product. None of SPECTRE’s scripts that I looked at were all that satisfying.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    It's Reddit, so take it how you wish, but someone on there has laid out what he's heard from his sources since the Boyle/Hodge news broke. Again, take this with a big grain of salt:

"As I previously reported, Yann Demange has been working with Purvis & Wade on their draft. Demange never signed on and was only working on a speculative basis. Though as I understand, he pretty much thought he had the gig.

Eon were never wed to the Purvis & Wade script. It was just the most likely version of Bond 25 they’d make. They were still playing the field, hence the reason for never officially appointing Demange.

They met with numerous top-flight directors for their take. Chris Nolan was said to have met with Eon and there’s a good chance that whatever they spoke about could become Bond 26.

I’ve heard that other top directors have met with Eon but Danny Boyle was the only one to take the bait. There’s enough interest in his idea to hire John Hodge and move away from the Demange version.

People are falling over themselves as the Boyle news is very very recent. Apparently, Danny has only been working on the Hodge script for a week or so before this news broke.

Apparently, Demange has some seriously hurt feelings and there could be legal implications for Eon. The guy was turning down projects on the basis that he'd be spending next two years on Bond."

And the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/80djzn/so_what_is_actually_happening_with_bond_25/

More from CashleyPersia:

The script by Purvis and Wade was never in question. It exists.

I know for a fact that they have been letting directors read the script. In fact, I’ve recently been working with JA Bayona who was offered the chance to read it (though I never heard what happened there).

But Eon have made no bones that they are happy to hear pitches on a final Craig/Bond film from prestige talent. I never heard Danny Boyle’s name till the Variety article. But I heard Chris Nolan and another A-list helmer had met with Eon with strong takes that the producers would have happily commissioned over Purvis and Wade’s script.

What’s most confusing to people I speak to with is that Demange had supposedly been getting a team together. He was under some kind of fixed-term contract and I guess the contract expired and they went with Boyle. He was never signed but apparently location-scouting was the next step in the process. Its rather unconscionable of Eon to treat a filmmaker this way.

The plot thickens.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    "He was never signed but apparently location-scouting was the next step in the process."

Someone better forward this to the mayor of Dubrovnik.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    So, Nolan was this close... :(

Last we heard from Pinewood was that all was really calm there.
    I think the reason Nolan didn't get it was because they felt his idea would be best-suited for a new actor/era. Boyle must be involved with an idea that still fits Craig's Bond, but I would wager is more standalone than whatever P&W came up with (which I bet is a direct continuation from SP and is likely a mediocre/average script).
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 616

I think if nothing is announced until May, the announcement will be that Craig has left and Bond 25 is pushed back until at least 2020. March/April should give us SOMETHING concrete. It's only about 20 months until the premiere after all, and apparently they don't even have a first draft yet.

That will be quite a middle finger to fans if Craig backs out after the announcement on Colbert's program and subsequent media frenzy. What a disaster.

Personally, I've been ready to see Craig retire from the role since SPECTRE.
    Curious what happened in the span of time from Demange signing a contract to it expiring, especially given that it seems nothing has gone down past script writing.

The Craig era is going to end on one big, massive stinker for me if he does indeed drop out after all this time.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    They could make a new tradition of only releasing one Bond film every ten years on the series' anniversary. 2022, 2032, 2042 and on...............

I just had a heart attack.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,619
    It's Reddit, so take it how you wish, but someone on there has laid out what he's heard from his sources since the Boyle/Hodge news broke. Again, take this with a big grain of salt:

"As I previously reported, Yann Demange has been working with Purvis & Wade on their draft. Demange never signed on and was only working on a speculative basis. Though as I understand, he pretty much thought he had the gig.

Eon were never wed to the Purvis & Wade script. It was just the most likely version of Bond 25 they’d make. They were still playing the field, hence the reason for never officially appointing Demange.

They met with numerous top-flight directors for their take. Chris Nolan was said to have met with Eon and there’s a good chance that whatever they spoke about could become Bond 26.

I’ve heard that other top directors have met with Eon but Danny Boyle was the only one to take the bait. There’s enough interest in his idea to hire John Hodge and move away from the Demange version.

People are falling over themselves as the Boyle news is very very recent. Apparently, Danny has only been working on the Hodge script for a week or so before this news broke.

Apparently, Demange has some seriously hurt feelings and there could be legal implications for Eon. The guy was turning down projects on the basis that he'd be spending next two years on Bond."

And the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/80djzn/so_what_is_actually_happening_with_bond_25/

If this checks out to be true, I believe we can expect a “delay” announcement coming soon...

If a delay does get announced I don't expect Daniel to stay on. I wouldn't be too shocked if iB25 got delayed until the 60th anniversary.

That doesn't sound that bad to me. It would be extra special.

Nooo, it sounds AWFUL. I want my Danny Boyle Bond movie before the inevitable Chris Nolan Bond movie!!!
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    "He was never signed but apparently location-scouting was the next step in the process."

Someone better forward this to the mayor of Dubrovnik.
    LOL. And I don't see Danny Boyle choosing Croatia as a location.

I think it was a few months after.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The incessant worrying in this thread is quite troubling.
  • vzok wrote: »

I think it was a few months after.

There was a draft dated Dec. 1, 2014 (one week before filming). It's very close to the final product but there are some differences. So work continued after that.