The Crazy Cat Person Thread

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited October 2023 in General Discussion Posts: 17,727
So, after creating The Tea Thread, another passion of mine that I've long intended to create a thread here for is cats. To fill this void, here is The MI6 Community Cats Thread. I've taken the thread title from the expression "Crazy Cat Lady" and expanded its remit to make it more "gender neutral" for the modern world. Aren't I in fashion?! I'm sure that there are just as many Crazy Cat Gentlemen out there as Crazy Cat Ladies, hence the much more inclusive title of this thread. Another expression that one hears a lot of now is that "Cats rule the internet" and this is no doubt true, considering all of the cute videos and pictures of cats out there as well as memes and other modern expressions of the Internet Age. This being so, I thought that it was high time that cats, as animals and pets, had a thread of their very own here on MI6 Community. Hopefully, cats will rule MI6 Community too! ;)

So, this is the space to discuss all aspects of cats (though not Big Cats like tigers and leopards of course!). I myself currently have two cats: a tabby cat called Kitty who was born in 2012 and a black and white kitten called Millie who was born in late July 2017 and whom I have had as a pet since 18 September 2017. Before this, I had (along with Kitty) a cat called Lucy (it was my brother's cat but in later years it came to live with us of its own accord, as we do not own a dog and he does). Sadly, Lucy, who was around 12 years old or so (perhaps a bit older), died on Friday 10 March 2017. Posted below you can see a short video from January 2017 of a rare moment when (rather reluctantly on the part of Kitty) they both shared a cushion on the sofa together for the first time. Lucy and Kitty appear in the order of their names:

I know that @Ludovico, @chrisisall and myself (albeit in painting form; the cat looks like my own cat Millie Dragonpol by the way) all feature cats in their avatars so I assume they will post their thoughts on cats as pets at the very least! Sorry if I have inadvertently missed any cat avatars on MI6 Community.

So, I'd love to hear of your experiences with cats as pets or even other people's pets, strays etc. So, are you a Crazy Cat Person?

Meow!

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,656
    @Dragonpol, make my day. I commented on (I believe it was) @Shardlake's loss of his cat on the "RIP" thread, pointing out that I had two almost-16 year-old cats. Unfortunately, we had to put them both out of their respective miseries within slightly over a month earlier this year. And believe me, my wife and I did not do so lightly, as we had them for fifteen and a half years.

But six days after we had the vet put our tomcat Anton to sleep, we went to the regional animal shelter and got the two cuties below, Henna (the red one) and Zoe (the other). Henna is still very shy, she must have had some awful experiences before being dropped at the shelter. We love both. But Zoe is really the perfect cat, having owned us from when she left the carrier basket coming here two weeks ago. Attentive, adventurous, cuddly without end, and at the same time totally peaceful. Neither of them has ever scratched either of us since we got them, but with Zoe we wondered how she ever ended up (well, she didn't) at the shelter at all.

Here they are:
    hennazoe09sb5.jpg
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I'm allergic to cats.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Well, you may have other reasons to stay alive, in spite of that deficit :-).
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Bond?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Proud father of 4 cats:

This is Chris- he's my original cat (and my favorite). Even people who hate cats seem to like Chris!

Here he is with another cats claw stuck to his nose because he's always starting shit :))

18892906_10101348480032381_3575466792910501028_n.jpg?oh=2782e2920cfd7ee25996fae25989e10e&oe=5B05663A

This is Abby- she's my wife's cat from before we met (similar to Chris). She's grumpy and has a human face that I like to make fun of

Check it out: I took literally the same picture 2 years apart! Her face never changes!

11295733_10100671823472551_3189012779645461065_n.jpg?oh=b1428c8f43b80b9ab126fe171bb35460&oe=5B467633

Next we have Westley- the cat we bought as a couple. He's awesome and always getting into trouble. He even loves driving!

11081154_10100647989436151_1261570869387793405_n.jpg?oh=81f6bce932666fb9c37520a21c412084&oe=5B07CB8C

Finally we have Loki- he belonged to a friend (we didn't name him) and the idea was, we were going to cat-sit him for 6 months while they went to South Korea to teach English or something. They ended up moving there so apparently the cat is ours now, lol. We couldn't be happier though- he's really cool and gets along with the others.

I swear he has no skeleton

23435127_10101531543566591_5193444158308461601_n.jpg?oh=9d3e75cd19755c831373244d7aae9efd&oe=5B1927EA
    Judging by your cute cats (and, if I may say so, your lovely wife), you don't seem so da-hark. Cheers!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I love cats, grew up with them, but can't really have one at the moment as I rent a 4th-floor flat, so many thanks to @Dragonpol for creating a thread on which I can enjoy other people's! (I also catsit for various friends.)
  • Do you think you could sneak one in? Most of them are insanely quiet, and you don't need to take them outside to do their business. Nobody would ever know!

Also, is there just a high pet fee or are they not allowed period? Because that does make a difference on what you can get away with.
    Disappointed, expected Pussy jokes galore in this thread.
    Do you think you could sneak one in? Most of them are insanely quiet, and you don't need to take them outside to do their business. Nobody would ever know!

Also, is there just a high pet fee or are they not allowed period? Because that does make a difference on what you can get away with.

We did exactly that when we were renting: we smuggled a cat in. Twice. Cats adopts humans more than we adopt them.

And yes count me as a crazy cat person.
    Do you think you could sneak one in?

I probably could, as my landlady lives a long way away and rarely visits! I don't think my flatmate would go for it, though; she's not as keen on small furry things as I am.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Do you think you could sneak one in?

I probably could, as my landlady lives a long way away and rarely visits! I don't think my flatmate would go for it, though; she's not as keen on small furry things as I am.

Kinky....
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Is Blofeld the original CCP?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    @Dragonpol, make my day. I commented on (I believe it was) @Shardlake's loss of his cat on the "RIP" thread, pointing out that I had two almost-16 year-old cats. Unfortunately, we had to put them both out of their respective miseries within slightly over a month earlier this year. And believe me, my wife and I did not do so lightly, as we had them for fifteen and a half years.

But six days after we had the vet put our tomcat Anton to sleep, we went to the regional animal shelter and got the two cuties below, Henna (the red one) and Zoe (the other). Henna is still very shy, she must have had some awful experiences before being dropped at the shelter. We love both. But Zoe is really the perfect cat, having owned us from when she left the carrier basket coming here two weeks ago. Attentive, adventurous, cuddly without end, and at the same time totally peaceful. Neither of them has ever scratched either of us since we got them, but with Zoe we wondered how she ever ended up (well, she didn't) at the shelter at all.

Here they are:
    hennazoe09sb5.jpg

Yes, I would say so. I should have perhaps mentioned Blofeld in the OP but I thought he would no doubt come up in the discussion, and he has!
  • j_w_pepper wrote: »

Here they are:
    hennazoe09sb5.jpg
    I honestly thought that orange cat was another pillow at first! :))

No but he's maybe the most extreme one. He seems to have affection only for his cat.
    Does "CCCP" stand for Confederation of Crazy Cat People then?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Does "CCCP" stand for Confederation of Crazy Cat People then?

You've finally cracked the YOLT Easter Egg. Congratulations!
    From Billy Wilder's "One, Two, Three":
    "So you just tell Daddy I'm on my way to the U. - S .- S. - R. That's short for Russia."
    (PS: Among the top three funniest movies I know. But I digress.)
    I made a Westley meme this morning :))

29594534_10101669065935661_4603074996449972141_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e1771a204f303a70954182351dd0ea82&oe=5B6DA7A0
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hah! That's a classic of a song, too!

That pic of him up on his hind legs is adorable. I suspect he is not actually attaccing but after some food/attention :)
    You got it right! He's a fiend for salami
    My deceased tomcat was like that with Gouda cheese. But he had a white spot at the throat.

29594534_10101669065935661_4603074996449972141_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e1771a204f303a70954182351dd0ea82&oe=5B6DA7A0

He looks like my Odin.
    I have two cats, and I love them both to death. I am very much a cat person and enjoy watching their odd behaviors. Hissing and purring are cool noises too. I love cats.
    Don't we all...if we're on this thread in the first place.
    Your cats just made my day, thank you. I don't have one, but I love them.