The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It happened at the insistence of Ronny Yu, who wanted an actor far taller than Englund to play Jason. Kinda makes sense...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 13,894
    I knew that Kane did stunt work on Texas 3, but not that that was the film shown on the tv. Neat little bit of trivia.

As for why Kane was never in FvJ, I heard a different reason than @DarthDimi above. I heard that Ronny Yu wanted a Jason to act with his eyes (odd thing to say, given that Kane acted more as Jason in one film, than Ken Kerzinger did). Seems fairly straight forward, right? Wrong. Yu claims that he was happy enough to have kept Kane on (he'd been Jason in 4 previous films, and saw no reason to replace Kane) claiming it was execs at New Line that pushed to recast Jason. They claim that it was Yu who wanted to recast Jason.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    How confusing. The only way I can see to settle it is to let Kane in the room with Yu and the executives to get the truth...his way. Whoever decided to recast Jason ends up in a sleeping bag and...well, you know the rest.
    friday-the-13th-sleeping-bag-death.gif
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It looks like if, that is IF, New Line and/or Yu wanted a new Jason, then no one had the balls to tell Kane Hodder. They could have just told him he wouldn't be back. That is a lot better way to handle it than what they actually did. But it didn't work out like that, what they actually did was to first see if Kane was interested in returning as Jason, he was (a no brainer, he'd still be Jason now, had things gone differently) then show him the script, and lastly go and cast someone else.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @MajorDSmythe, it's definitely strange. It feels like Kane was led on that he had the role, but at the end of things people at the top weren't true to their word or implications and just got another guy without telling him. No wonder he seems sort of perturbed by it all, especially since he earned the Jason title and is so recognizable by fans.

Kind of feels akin to Brosnan and Bond, where it seems he wasn't told he was on the way out and was more surprised by a replacement and a new direction out of nowhere.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I saw a trailer for a tv series called Strain on Youtube. Anyone seen this? Looks great.
    I didn't know that, @MajorDSmythe, although it rings a bell. Could it be that I have read that in Camp Crystal Lake Memories? It's been a while...
    @MajorDSmythe, it's definitely strange. It feels like Kane was led on that he had the role, but at the end of things people at the top weren't true to their word or implications and just got another guy without telling him. No wonder he seems sort of perturbed by it all, especially since he earned the Jason title and is so recognizable by fans.

Kind of feels akin to Brosnan and Bond, where it seems he wasn't told he was on the way out and was more surprised by a replacement and a new direction out of nowhere.

Just like Brosnan, yes. They were lead down the garden path, only to have the door slammed in their face. Kanes attitude toward FvJ has changed in the years since, thanks in no small part to the Hatchet films, and the Friday game. I've never been the biggest fan of Brosnan, but that is beside the point. Not telling him to his face, and with diplomacy, was a shitty way to tell him he wasn't coming back.

@DarthDimi It might have been the 'His Name Was Jason: 30 Years Of Friday The 13th' documentary, where I got that from. It was definitely a documentary, because I remember a clip of Yu, saying that he was fine with Kane playing Jason in FvJ, followed by an exec at New Line saying the same thing.
    @MajorDSmythe
    Saw that one too, but alas a long time ago. ;) Should give it another try, probably.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2018 Posts: 45,489
    #ittoo
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Awesome. The first was great; hyped for the next!
  • @thelivingroyale, I agree that horror could use a bit of a Renaissance, as Jason, Freddy, and Michael have really been dead and locked into never realized projects for a long time now. In the age of reboots the attempts to modernize both Jason and Freddy died nearly a decade ago before the virus of unoriginality really took hold.

I personally hope for more innovative or original horror films than just new films from old series with the old monsters, many of which have been recommended to me on here like The Babadook or It Follows that I need to see. I think that's where horror can really grow and built mainstream exposure, with filmmakers putting out films that are finely crafted and unexpected that show there's more to the genre than just gore and cheap scares.

It Follows is brilliant. I was less keen on The Babadook, thought it was good but a bit overhyped. The Witch is another really good recent one. I think horror as a genre in general is doing great to be fair. There's always at least one or two really good ones a year and even the more mainstream jump scarey ones have had some gems. The Conjuring films (pretty much anything James Wan makes), Annabelle 2, Lights Out. The creepy paranormal stuff is doing alright.

But the Slasher genre I think has suffered a bit and needs a renaissance. There is still good stuff out there but nothing really making the same impact as the old icons. I to be able to watch a big scary bastard with a memorable look killing teenagers in gory inventive ways in a packed cinema again. I think You're Next might be the last big one that kind of fits the bill, but I think you can sort of class home invasion as a sub genre of its own.
    I was so incredibly excited for It Follows but it sadly did nothing for me. Thought it was part of a collection of overhyped horror films, like The Witch. I quite liked The Babadook though. There was also that Iranian horror film Under the Shadow I heard a lot of rave reviews for; wasn't remotely suspenseful or tense in my opinion.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I was so incredibly excited for It Follows but it sadly did nothing for me. Thought it was part of a collection of overhyped horror films, like The Witch. I quite liked The Babadook though. There was also that Iranian horror film Under the Shadow I heard a lot of rave reviews for; wasn't remotely suspenseful or tense in my opinion.

Alas I can only agree with you on The Witch. The Babadook bored me to tears, but I thought It Follows, for the most part, was quite excellent.

But between you, me, and @thelivingroyale, we have all bases on these films pretty well covered. ;)
    It's hard to say how certain horror type films will stack up for me if they have hype attached. For a recent example, I was told Cabin in the Woods was this amazingly crazy, inventive movie and I was bored senseless by how unremarkable it was. It's hard for me to get excited for the genre in general though, as the best is behind it.
    It Follows is probably my second favorite horror film of this decade, right behind IT. I have yet to see Cabin in the Woods. The Babadook was okay but very overrated. My all-time favorite horrors would include: The Shining (#1), Jaws, The Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, Halloween, The Thing, Alien, and It. I have plenty of honorable mentions too.
    It's hard to say how certain horror type films will stack up for me if they have hype attached. For a recent example, I was told Cabin in the Woods was this amazingly crazy, inventive movie and I was bored senseless by how unremarkable it was. It's hard for me to get excited for the genre in general though, as the best is behind it.

You know, I was quite impressed by this when I caught it in a cheap theater as it was making its theatrical exit - rewatched it maybe three or four years later, and found it to be incredibly dull. Not sure why such a disparity after having not seen it (and loved it) in years. I still have to give it credit for being unique and playing on the typical horror tropes the way it did.

You know, I was quite impressed by this when I caught it in a cheap theater as it was making its theatrical exit - rewatched it maybe three or four years later, and found it to be incredibly dull. Not sure why such a disparity after having not seen it (and loved it) in years. I still have to give it credit for being unique and playing on the typical horror tropes the way it did.

I haven't rewatched it and don't think I'll bother. I thought it was great at the time, clever violent fun, but I think it might be one of those films where if you watch it again and know what's coming it won't be as good.

I haven't rewatched it and don't think I'll bother. I thought it was great at the time, clever violent fun, but I think it might be one of those films where if you watch it again and know what's coming it won't be as good.

That definitely could've been the case, as I saw so little of the film's marketing beforehand, so I had absolutely no clue what to expect.

I usually don't fluctuate in opinion (I either like or hate something and when I do change my mind I like something more than I did before instead of hating what I loved), but I do see your point. Cabin could be one of those movies where, once you've seen all the surprises, there's little left to it. The characters and events are very dull for me, so when the underlying mystery is revealed there's little reason to come back. But I didn't even like the mystery or reveal, so I can't go that far in my praise. I just thought, "People liked this?"

I could see some praise coming from how it plays with tropes, but I would implore those people to watch movies like Scream that did the tropes, homages and clever twisting of genre and expectation better over a decade prior. Coming upon Cabin at the time I did and with the catalogue of what I'd seen in the genre at the back of my mind, I just couldn't fathom what the big deal was.
    While not a horror film, I was the same way with Gone Girl - enjoyed it infinitely less upon my first rewatch after knowing the beats and twists throughout the story.
    I haven't seen Gone Girl again since my initial theater viewing of it, but since I already kind of predicted what the twist was going to be and still enjoyed it anyway I don't think my view would change that much. I think that's largely down to Fincher and his ability to make the mood, atmosphere and tension of his films a constantly refreshing source of stimuli that keeps you engaged no matter how many times you see a particular film. No matter how much you see Se7en, it's the building of the story to the climax with all the tension and grisly mood in between that compels you, just as Zodiac's feeling of paranoia, fear of the boogeyman and horrid mystery are as haunting on the first watch as they can be on the 20th. And of course the same for Dragon Tattoo.

Some directors just have it, a control over the conventions of film that keep you coming back even after the mystery is cracked. Just like Hitchcock or Kubrick.

EDIT: The original Shape actor is on set!

DU07QhdUMAAfazC?format=jpg&name=small

Nick Castle back after all these years is probably the coolest news a horror fan could ask for.

But consider this: how amazing would it be if Tony Moran was also coming back as unmasked Michael and they’ve been keeping it a secret?!?

Ton%2BMoran%2Bas%2BMichael%2BMyers%2Bage%2B23%2Bin%2BHalloween.jpeg

That would be so epic my head could explode!!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,490
    That'd be way too cool. I wouldn't be surprised since so much from the original is returning in one form or another.

The more I hear about this movie, the more excited I get:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3484946/returning-michael-myers-nick-castle-says-new-halloween-lot-like-original/
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3484906/even-kane-hodder-hungry-friday-13th-return-grave/

It would be fitting if the success of Halloween (2018), leads to the next F13 finally going into production, as it was the lukewarm reception that met Rings, which made Paramount get cold feet on F13 (2017). Hopefully, New Line are already, unofficially, working on the next film.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3484906/even-kane-hodder-hungry-friday-13th-return-grave/

It would be fitting if the success of Halloween (2018), leads to the next F13 finally going into production, as it was the lukewarm reception that met Rings, which made Paramount get cold feet on F13 (2017).

That would make me very happy. Still bummed the recent F13 got so close to shooting before getting canned. I'll take a new, proper Hellraiser and A Nightmare On Elm Street some day, too.
    So I just posted in the Last Move Watched thread, about a film I watched last night, Last Girl Standing. It is a twist on the slasher genre. Anyone else seen it?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,490
    So I just posted in the Last Move Watched thread, about a film I watched last night, Last Girl Standing. It is a twist on the slasher genre. Anyone else seen it?

I've heard of it, sounded like it was a nice twist on the slasher genre (if I'm thinking of the right movie, that is).

EDIT: Nevermind, just read your review. I'll have to give it a go at some point. I think I keep getting this one mixed up with The Final Girls that I've heard about. Seems the latter one is more of a comedy; can't stand horror comedies most of the time.

I've heard of it, sounded like it was a nice twist on the slasher genre (if I'm thinking of the right movie, that is).

EDIT: Nevermind, just read your review. I'll have to give it a go at some point. I think I keep getting this one mixed up with The Final Girls that I've heard about. Seems the latter one is more of a comedy; can't stand horror comedies most of the time.

Yeah, Last Girl Standing is a serious horror film. t's funny how in the same year, we had 3 similar themed titles: Last Girl Standing, Final Girl and The Final Girls. The latter two being especially confusing.