The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    As long as they get back to some fun horror films. There's a balance between suspense and silliness to straddle that makes for the best of these endless franchise entries.

The grimy nihilism of the Zombie reboot made for a joyless experience and unfortunately the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street remakes appeared to take their cues from its tone.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Jason Blum confirms that John Carpenter will score Halloween:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3494651/jason-blum-confirms-john-carpenter-scoring-halloween/
    Jamie Lee Curtis has said she’s seen a trailer and it’s ‘terrifying’.
    I’m so happy they’re making it a SCARY MOVIE and there won’t be any Busta Rhymes Kung Fu nonsense
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I haven't seen all the Halloween films... But, were there actually Kung Fu elements in later movies?
    I was only kidding around, but in Halloween Resurrection, widely considered the worst one, Busta Rhymes actually did martial arts moves against Michael.
    He even loudly yelled ‘hi-ya!!!!’ and ‘wawwww!!!’ like kids play-fighting. It was bad.
    So it's not the William Shatner mask then?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,490
    I was only kidding around, but in Halloween Resurrection, widely considered the worst one, Busta Rhymes actually did martial arts moves against Michael.
    He even loudly yelled ‘hi-ya!!!!’ and ‘wawwww!!!’ like kids play-fighting. It was bad.

That bit was pure cringe. Isn't all that right before Michael just awkwardly stands there and gets karate-kicked out a window? What a bad movie all around.

@bondsum, the mask in the upcoming installment is supposed to be the same mask from the original, just weathered and aged by 40 years.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Good Lord! :)) Then again, it's a 2002 film, so I'm not slightly even surprised. Cliches of late 90s early 2000s pop culture! =))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @ClarkDevlin - All you need to know re Busta Rhymes and Halloween: Resurrection:

• edited April 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @bondsum, the mask in the upcoming installment is supposed to be the same mask from the original, just weathered and aged by 40 years.
    That's good. I was worried they had redesigned it. Can't beat the original.

I just read that Jamie Lee Curtis has said that this new Halloween movie should be called Halloween Retold because it's just a retelling of the original. Her words: “And as soon as I read what David Green and Danny McBride had come up with … and the way that they connected the dots of the story, it made so much sense to me that it felt totally appropriate for me to return to Haddonfield, Ill., for another 40th-anniversary retelling,” Curtis said. “There was the idea of, ‘What do you call it?’ If I had had my druthers, I probably would’ve called it Halloween Retold. Because it’s being retold. It’s the original story in many, many, many ways. Just retold 40 years later with my granddaughter.”

I think I'll just watch John Carpenter's classic.
    Let’s see some rankings!

Halloween
    Halloween 4
    Halloween 2
    Halloween 2007
    Halloween H20
    Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (theatrical)
    Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producers Cut)
    Halloween 2 (Zombie)
    Halloween 5
    Halloween Resurrection

I like the movie on its own, but I don’t really include part 3.
    Halloween > Halloweens after the first and before Zombies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> literal trash > Zombie’s Halloween films
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Halloween > Halloweens after the first and before Zombies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> literal trash > Zombie’s Halloween films

I'd say this is my ranking too, although I thoroughly enjoy the original Halloween 2. I wouldn't add Season of the Witch to mine, I've never seen that one.
    Only thing I sort of liked about the new ones were Malcolm McDowell being Malcolm McDowell, and some of the soundtrack work by Tyler Bates. Other than that they were pure dumpster fire.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Only thing I sort of liked about the new ones were Malcolm McDowell being Malcolm McDowell, and some of the soundtrack work by Tyler Bates. Other than that they were pure dumpster fire.

Can't recall the soundtrack, but I love McDowell. Wasn't horror legend Brad Dourif in it, too? Those two were probably the sole highlight of Zombie's first iteration - that, and the blooper reel. Check it out if you haven't, it's rich.
    Actually I have. That was the most enjoyable thing to come out of it! McDowell is the best part of every movie he is in - good or bad.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    At present, I would rank them similar to @Master_Dahark, but with a few minor changes:

1. Halloween
    2. Halloween 4
    3. Halloween 2
    4. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (PC)
    5. Halloween H20
    6. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
    7. Halloween 5
    8. Halloween Resurrection
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited April 2018 Posts: 2,721
    I love Season of the Witch. Creepy, funny and weird.

"Happy, happy Halloween, Halloween, Halloween...silver shamrock!"
    Will there be reshoots in the future for Halloween? Test audiences unanimously had issues with the ending, on top of the running time (it's said that a lot of time is spent introducing characters that bite the bullet too quickly):

http://horrorfreaknews.com/exclusive-test-audiences-almost-all-hated-the-current-ending-of-blumhouses-halloween/25935

Apparently the homage to other installments in the series is nothing more than kills stolen from said films, too.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Jesus, how did it end, for everyone to hate it?
    Does Michael take his mask off and apologize???
    Jesus, how did it end, for everyone to hate it?
    Does Michael take his mask of and apologize???

I'm guessing it wasn't as definitive an ending, since they seem to be selling this as the "final ride" of the series (before it inevitably gets rebooted again, of course).
    edited April 2018 Posts: 13,894
    Just because test audiences hated it, doesn't make it bad. Wasn't Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Meyers test screened to 17 yr olds in it's original form (The Producers Cut)? All of which hated it (couldn't understand it?), so the film was chopped down to the Theatrical Cut. It remains to be seen whether this is good or bad news.
    Just because test audiences hated it, doesn't make it bad. Wasn't Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Meyers test screened to 17 yr olds in it's original form (The Producers Cut)? All of which hated it (couldn't understand it?), so the film was chopped down to the Theatrical Cut. It remains to be seen whether this is good or bad news.

Of course. I don't buy into test audiences/early audience reactions, ever, but felt it should be shared either way. I'm still dying to see it. Only six months out and they've already released a poster, so I'm guessing we should have our first look at footage by late May/early June. Hopefully, anyway.
    Interesting- nearly all the websites discussing the bad test audiences have been given a 'cease and desist'

In other news, I heard something new suggesting we may NOT have seen the new mask after all! I can't show it because of the above disappearances, but I did see it this morning: it sounds like that dark poster that's been floating around is just the poster... not the mask. In other words they had a Michael Myers mask made to look like an old man just to be artsy.
    That's funny because everyone I talked to thought it was weird that a mask would age like skin! Looks like we haven't seen 'the mask' yet after all!

Figures just as it was starting to grow on me, lol
    Also this: just now!!!

31218618_10155572696263108_3119757085835990254_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d5c99d86effb624300c15a0a1496c12b&oe=5B5EF833

You can't trust that pesky internet!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,490
    Odd for them to include a mask in the poster that isn't even the mask they'll use! Especially when that's the first look fans are getting at it. The marketing team could've done better on that end.

It could all be bull and there really hasn't been a test screening yet, but Jason Blum already confirmed two weeks back that he saw a first cut and it was terrific, so Carpenter must not have seen it and just assumed it didn't exist. Who knows.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Odd for them to include a mask in the poster that isn't even the mask they'll use! Especially when that's the first look fans are getting at it. The marketing team could've done better on that end.

Well true but technically they did it in part 4 too

Halloween4poster.jpg
    MV5BZGE1NTU4ZTQtMTNiOS00M2U5LWIwYTgtMzc3ZWE0ZGU2ODMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyNDQ2NjI@._V1_.jpg

Of course the poster looks way better! Hopefully that's not the case this time, if it's even true
    I get it, it's just a bad choice on their part when first impressions are everything in today's day and age. Look at all the negativity surrounding that first slightly obscured look of Pennywise from last year's IT, then people loved the movie.

With everyone wanting that first look of Michael Myers, they should've gone with an actual look and not something that isn't the proper mask, is all. I suppose any frustration (which I've seen a good bit of regarding the mask) will dissipate when fans DO finally get their first official look at it. One can hope, anyway.
    Well I'm excited for this!! It's a little spoilery but not too bad. What sounds awesome is the 'single take' shot of Michael going door to door and killing random people!! I love when they do long shots in movies without cutting!

Halloween-Test-Screening.png
    While my loyalty is to Friday The 13th, i'm not going to lie, this new Halloween captures my interest the more that I hear about it. Sounds like it will try to right some of the wrongs of the sequels (namely the sibling angle of Haloween 2).

And the masks of Halloween 4 to Halloween H20 were awful. Without talking about the film itself, Halloween: Resurrection had the best mask since Halloween 2.