The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've still got to get around to them, once I find them streaming somewhere. Hell, they could all be on Netflix right now, I've yet to look.

Do you like cartoonishly ott gory Splatter films? Because that's what they are.

I only saw the first when it initially released, I remember it feeling rather straight-laced if not a bit cartoonish or OTT in some aspects. I did see the trailer for Victor Crowley, which seemed even more OTT. Could be good fun, I won't be expecting Oscar-winning material when I do catch the sequels.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've still got to get around to them, once I find them streaming somewhere. Hell, they could all be on Netflix right now, I've yet to look.

I only saw the first when it initially released, I remember it feeling rather straight-laced if not a bit cartoonish or OTT in some aspects. I did see the trailer for Victor Crowley, which seemed even more OTT. Could be good fun, I won't be expecting Oscar-winning material when I do catch the sequels.

The first one is more horror, but there is still some ott moments. Comparing Hatchet and Hatchet 2 is like comparing The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2.

The first one is more horror, but there is still some ott moments. Comparing Hatchet and Hatchet 2 is like comparing The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2.

Feel free to burn me at the stake, but I've sadly never seen an Evil Dead movie past the first one, and even that one I remember so little from.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Feel free to burn me at the stake, but I've sadly never seen an Evil Dead movie past the first one, and even that one I remember so little from.

Ok, well Hatchet/The Evil Dead are more pure horror films. Hatchet 2/Evil Dead 2 introduces more comedy into the mix. Hatchet 3/Army Of Darkness are the weak links, but they have their moments.
    I will say I laughed a few times during the Victor Crowley trailer, seems like it's handling a nice blend of genuine comedy and inventive kills. I don't really care for horror-comedies, but when it does work, it works. I saw that Krampus movie and was bored to tears.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 13,894
    I laughed at the bit with the flare gun. Andrew is about 10ft from Crowley, and misses him by some distance. Mind you, under the same circumstances, i'd miss as well. Crowley casually turns in the direction the flare went, then turns back to Andrew and the other two characters. It looks like they have no weapons, it might get messy.
  • We’re getting close to seeing good ol’ Nick Castle in costume!! Looking forward to this scary OLD Michael!!

27788028_825948034196727_8522378499082168201_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=29fae7285c187dc4fdcad3585f01e0ea&oe=5B2109AC
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,490
    I just need to see this movie already, dying to know if it's a nice return to form or overhyped garbage.

EDIT: The original Child's Play writer is working on a television series starring Chucky:

http://www.slashfilm.com/childs-play-tv-series/#more-465208
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Has anyone else here seen the final girls it’s by far in my humble opinion the best slasher film period
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Has anyone else here seen the final girls it’s by far in my humble opinion the best slasher film period

Never heard of it, but the concept has my interest. It sounds like a love letter to the 80's slasher genre
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 6,844
    Risico007 wrote: »

I'm glad you got so much mileage out of The Final Girls. It was a great concept and I think the emotional connection between daughter and mother throughout the finale is where the film really shined. But the satire throughout the rest of the film—mostly aimed at the Friday the 13th series—was to my eyes too superficial to be of much interest or entertainment value. It felt to me almost as if it was written by someone with a very superficial understanding of 80s slasher films and who could only make some American Pie-style potshots at the general conception of what an 80s slasher film consists of. As opposed to a film junkie who really intimately knows the ins and outs of the genre and can deliver the in-jokes and references that a true fan of the genre would delight in. (And please don't misconstrue that commentary as my saying you aren't a true fan of the genre or anything; I just don't think the writers/filmmakers were).

For my money, Scream is still the best slasher satire out there.

(And there's another one that actually came out in the 80s, at the peak of the craze—The Slumber Party Massacre—that has some really interesting things going on as well. Written and directed by two different women no less, which must have been quite the rarity in Hollywood at the time.)

Edit: Also Cabin in the Woods, which takes quite brilliant swipes at several horror sub-genres, but chiefly bisects the most well-trodden tropes of the slasher—with a rusty chainsaw ;)

I've been incredibly interested in this, but this trailer sort of ruins it for me: the mystery is now unveiled as what appears to be some shoddy CGI monsters terrorizing them. I'll likely pass.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Risico007, I've added The Final Girls to the list for future viewing, cheers. Always looking for more original or interesting horror films to watch that aren't more of the same slasher factor.
    Jamie Lee Curtis wraps up shooting on the new Halloween:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3483670/jamie-lee-curtis-wrapped-filming-halloween/
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    When did the filming start? Because that seems fast?

January 13th, so slightly over a month back. She's likely not in every scene so I figure they still have a few more weeks max to go on shooting.

January 13th, so slightly over a month back. She's likely not in every scene so I figure they still have a few more weeks max to go on shooting.
    Alright. I guess it wouldn't be a long shoot anyway, since it seems bound to only a small number of locations and doesn't demand anything crazy to be filmed. Like the original, I expect it to be a simple but unnerving tale with no need for bloat or any other distractions.

I just don't want them to do to Jamie what they did to her mother, killing her early and letting that be the shock that carries the rest of the film to the conclusion. I want Laurie and Michael battling until the very end.

Alright. I guess it wouldn't be a long shoot anyway, since it seems bound to only a small number of locations and doesn't demand anything crazy to be filmed. Like the original, I expect it to be a simple but unnerving tale with no need for bloat or any other distractions.

I just don't want them to do to Jamie what they did to her mother, killing her early and letting that be the shock that carries the rest of the film to the conclusion. I want Laurie and Michael battling until the very end.

That's how they've been selling it (dread, suspense and fear over gore and blood), and Laurie seems to be at the forefront of this one yet again (or at least the Strode bloodline), and I doubt they'd retroactively bring her character back by ignoring the sequels, just to kill her off for cheap motivation.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Never been a massive Halloween fan but I hope this one does well because I'd like more slasher films. The Hatchet films are fun and the Chucky/Childs Play films have been consistently good even as they've been confined to straight to DVD, but I'd like for the genre to get a bit more mainstream again. I'd love another Nightmare on Elm Street movie. Think the same applies to old fashioned action films actually. There are still good ones coming out if you know where to look but I'd like it if they could reach a wider audience and actually come out at the cinema.

Has anyone watched the Scream TV series? I like the films (well the third one wasn't great, but I think four was really underrated) and I've heard good things so I've been thinking about giving it a go.
    Never been a massive Halloween fan but I hope this one does well because I'd like more slasher films. The Hatchet films are fun and the Chucky/Childs Play films have been consistently good even as they've been confined to straight to DVD, but I'd like for the genre to get a bit more mainstream again. I'd love another Nightmare on Elm Street movie. Think the same applies to old fashioned action films actually. There are still good ones coming out if you know where to look but I'd like it if they could reach a wider audience and actually come out at the cinema.

Has anyone watched the Scream TV series? I like the films (well the third one wasn't great, but I think four was really underrated) and I've heard good things so I've been thinking about giving it a go.

I only saw the first season and I'm real critical about a lot of shows on TV anymore - especially anything airing on a channel like MTV - and it was OK. Really predictable and tame with some super annoying characters, but I guess you could do much worse. Just be warned that apparently the viewership dwindled in the second season, which has caused them to recast/hire new showrunners for an all new third season which apparently won't touch on anything that came before, so you'll likely have some unanswered questions.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I only saw the first season and I'm real critical about a lot of shows on TV anymore - especially anything airing on a channel like MTV - and it was OK. Really predictable and tame with some super annoying characters, but I guess you could do much worse. Just be warned that apparently the viewership dwindled in the second season, which has caused them to recast/hire new showrunners for an all new third season which apparently won't touch on anything that came before, so you'll likely have some unanswered questions.

Thanks @Creasy47. Think it's on Netflix so might give it a go but I'm a bit behind with shows at the minute. Still need to finish Godless for a start.
    @thelivingroyale, I agree that horror could use a bit of a Renaissance, as Jason, Freddy, and Michael have really been dead and locked into never realized projects for a long time now. In the age of reboots the attempts to modernize both Jason and Freddy died nearly a decade ago before the virus of unoriginality really took hold.

I personally hope for more innovative or original horror films than just new films from old series with the old monsters, many of which have been recommended to me on here like The Babadook or It Follows that I need to see. I think that's where horror can really grow and built mainstream exposure, with filmmakers putting out films that are finely crafted and unexpected that show there's more to the genre than just gore and cheap scares.

The trouble with a new A Nightmare On Elm Street, is as with the Hellraiser films, Freddy is still tied to Robert England, who has ruled out playing Freddy again on film due to his age. Attempts to recast Freddy and Pinhead have had a cold reception. From what I have seen of Paul T. Taylor, he is an improvement over Stephen Smith Collins, same goes for their respective films.

My horror film loyalty will always lie with Friday The 13th, even if they are not the most respected or most inventive horror films. We came so close, last year, to having a new film, but Paramount bottled it at the last minute. I am still holding out for an announcement this year, that Kane Hodder with put on the mask one last time. While that window is closing, he is 63 after all, I feel he could still do it.
    I think the success of Halloween later this year will dictate where other projects go. If the movie succeeds with audiences, I'd expect the Friday the 13th brand to see a resurgence again to reap the profits of the market demand, if the quality is high.

I'm not even a big Friday fan, but I would personally love to see the idea of Jason hunting teens during the winter at Crystal Lake brought to film. The atmosphere of it would set it apart from the others in the series and when was the last time we actually got to see a wintery horror film outside that Thing prequel?
    Kane Hodder points out his surprisingly hidden cameo in Freddy vs Jason:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3483810/kane-hodder-reveals-surprising-way-cameo-freddy-vs-jason/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Cool bit of trivia this! :)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Cool bit of trivia this! :)

Agreed! I figured it'd be one of those generic "new trivia" tidbits that had been known for quite some time, but was happy to say I had no clue. I'm sure someone has put it together elsewhere before, but it's something I never would've noticed.
    I'm curious, since you guys are more informed than me: why wasn't Hodder in Freddy Vs. Jason? From the quote he gave he seemed to make it out that he was blockaded from the project by those handling it, but I don't understand why that would be.