No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Also how he says, after his gun is taken from him, "Not that it matters but it was under the pillow all the time."
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    TB is fantastic. Definitely top 10 for me.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @bondjames, and that doesn't even seem to be what most of us fans want now, as it seems a lot of members on here are tired of the endless Aston Martin DB5 appearance.
    I think they threw such things as the DB5 in not so much for us hardcore fans, but for casual audience, who they seem to think need to be thus reminded that they are watching a Bond film. It´s funny, because CR proved that even though many people in the beginning thought this is not Bond, because he was so different from the traditional mold, in the end quality succeeded over audience expectations.
    TB is fantastic. Definitely top 10 for me.

I recently placed it as my number 1. So much in it I love. I must say, though, my number 1 is always one of the first four Connery Bonds.

Back on topic: I hear crickets chirping as far as BOND 25 news is concerned.

Of course, had we been on a 2 year schedule, the most recent film would just now be getting it's Blu-ray release and we wouldn't be hearing any substantial news regarding the next Bond film until early summer. So I'm not too worried. I expect summer it is before we get anything juicy.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,991
    bondjames wrote: »
    @ToTheRight, there is no indication that they are selling at this point.

My personal view though is that one day they will, if the price is right and once they feel like they've done what they can with the character.

There's been zero evidence that Eon is selling.

We're in a different era, and it's harder to tie actors to an extended contract, which means a longer time between films. Connery's contract and resulting issues gave us DN-TB, but also YOLT and DAF.

Moore and Brosnan were, by all accounts, model employees but were their strings of films any better?

Clearly Babs wants to hold onto Craig--he did after all rejuvenate the franchise with CR (one of the best reviewed Bonds ever)--so we are in for a longer wait.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    echo wrote: »

My personal view though is that one day they will, if the price is right and once they feel like they've done what they can with the character.

You don't get evidence of something until it happens, so don't be so certain about the future. Like I said, there is no indication they are selling at this point.
    We're in a different era, and it's harder to tie actors to an extended contract, which means a longer time between films.
    That's really not true. They tie them down to a three of four year contract as is normal practice. Some of the Marvel actors as an example are on six film contracts.
    Moore and Brosnan were, by all accounts, model employees but were their strings of films any better?
    I'm afraid I don't understand your point. What's being a model employee got to do with the films? Connery is the best of the lot and he was hardly a model employee. So there is no correlation and I don't think anyone has made such a connection.
    Clearly Babs wants to hold onto Craig--he did after all rejuvenate the franchise with CR (one of the best reviewed Bonds ever)--so we are in for a longer wait.
    Clearly. CR was 12 years and 3 films back though. Let's see what he gives us with the next one before we render judgment on his era for posterity.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 2,115
    re: extended contracts....Chris Hemsworth's as Thor and Chris Evans' as Captain America only now expried. They were each signed for several movies. I think Samuel L. Jackson was signed for something like nine movies.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    TB is my solid #2 since ... ever I saw it. The Top 3-10 changed throughout my past 33 years as a Bond fan, but numbers 1 and 2 never changed.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The right caretaker is definitely important. I do feel in the wrong hands a we could end up with a Bond series that discards so many elements in Bond that are beloved just for the sake of being different.
    There's always that risk of course.
    Dennison wrote: »
    I've been feeling that could be as well considering the long gaps between films and general feeling after each one is weariness. I do hope Eon gets their second wind soon and can plan for the series' future. Right now it seems they are milking one more for the Craig era rather than moving forward.
    NSNA proves Bond can survive EON so I have no concerns with a future sale if they want to do it at some point. The trick will be finding the right caretaker, who will treat the series with the respect and deference that it deserves.

Having said that, new blood (whether it be actor, studio or writers) always brings new energy & ideas as well. When Sony took over in 2006, one could feel the new energy.

NSNA is a terrible film.
    That does seem to be the prevailing opinion, perhaps unsurprisingly, among 'Bond' fans. The fact remains it was reasonably successful (far more than many EON produced entries).

Yes, because it had Sean Connery in it.
    The right caretaker is definitely important. I do feel in the wrong hands a we could end up with a Bond series that discards so many elements in Bond that are beloved just for the sake of being different.
    There's always that risk of course.
    I've been feeling that could be as well considering the long gaps between films and general feeling after each one is weariness. I do hope Eon gets their second wind soon and can plan for the series' future. Right now it seems they are milking one more for the Craig era rather than moving forward.
    NSNA proves Bond can survive EON so I have no concerns with a future sale if they want to do it at some point. The trick will be finding the right caretaker, who will treat the series with the respect and deference that it deserves.

Having said that, new blood (whether it be actor, studio or writers) always brings new energy & ideas as well. When Sony took over in 2006, one could feel the new energy.

NSNA is a terrible film.
    That does seem to be the prevailing opinion, perhaps unsurprisingly, among 'Bond' fans. The fact remains it was reasonably successful (far more than many EON produced entries).

Yes, because it had Sean Connery in it.
    That's one of the reasons certainly.

It's difficult, 35 years later, to be certain that was the only reason. I think it's reasonable to assume that the fact that it was a James Bond film based on a successful novel with a top notch cast and directed by a well known individual all had something to do with it as well.

I'm also reasonably certain that most members of the general public don't know who EON, Babs or Michael are and aren't really concerned about who makes the films. That's more for us geeks to obsess over.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, I can imagine that was the biggest draw. Presumably most didn't care that it wasn't EON Productions making the film though (e.g. I'm assuming people didn't stay away because it was a rogue production).

This subject is being discussed because I used NSNA as an example to illustrate that Bond can survive EON. Heck, just cast Craig (or even Brosnan) in a non-EON production and I'm sure the punters will show up.

EDIT: I guess what it shows, anecdotally, is that the actor does matter and can be the primary draw. I hadn't considered that before.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    But it‘s more than that - what NSNA had was Connery but it lacked the gunbarrel, the typical Bond score (NSNA‘s score is horrible) and that for sure killed some of the „Bond vibe“.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    To me it always had the Bond vibe. We may have not heard the Bond Theme but the film never lost its magic. But, I agree the majority of this is thanks to Connery’s presence in the role.

I like the score for what it is, and understand why the majority hate it, but at the end of the day, NSNA is hell of a film. A lot better than some of the efforts delivered by the “official” film series.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    But it‘s more than that - what NSNA had was Connery but it lacked the gunbarrel, the typical Bond score (NSNA‘s score is horrible) and that for sure killed some of the „Bond vibe“.
    Surely that's not a deal breaker though. We haven't been getting that for a while with the official entries either, or at least less so.
  • I've always liked NSNA a lot better than DAF. I think it's fun, has some cool and original ideas, a couple of decent action scenes, Connery is on top form and Largo and Fatima are brilliant villains. Definitely doesn't come close to OP and it being an 'unofficial' remake does hurt it but I'm glad it exists. It's a fun, weird movie imo. I just wish they'd taken a few more liberties with it so it wasn't such an explicit TB remake.
    Glad to see NSNA get some love around here.

Meh...
    NSNA... I probably won’t watch it again. Just don’t care for it really.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    +1

• RC7RC7
    Awful film.

Everything related to McClory post-TB is either directly or indirectly connected to Fleming’s demise. I can’t watch it without feeling a seething resentment for both him and Connery (who simply wanted to stick it to the man who made his career). Connery is a monumental presence in Bond lore (unlike McClory) but this film is symbolic of the greed and bitterness that had by that point consumed both men. The fact it was beaten comfortably by a casual and effervescent Moore in OP is comforting.
    I like to drift off topic myself from time to time, but I really don´t get what NSNA has to do with Bond 25.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I like to drift off topic myself from time to time, but I really don´t get what NSNA has to do with Bond 25.
    I had made the apparent mistake of bringing it up yesterday as proof that a Bond film can be reasonably successful without being made by the House of EON.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Everything related to McClory post-TB is either directly or indirectly connected to Fleming’s demise. I can’t watch it without feeling a seething resentment for both him and Connery (who simply wanted to stick it to the man who made his career). Connery is a monumental presence in Bond lore (unlike McClory) but this film is symbolic of the greed and bitterness that had by that point consumed both men. The fact it was beaten comfortably by a casual and effervescent Moore in OP is comforting.
    I have to say that is very true.
    I just view it as a film and enjoy it for what it is. The behind the scenes issues of actors, producers, directors and what not never impact that for me. If it did, I'm sure I'd have a problem with several films.
    I had made the apparent mistake of bringing it up yesterday as proof that a Bond film can be reasonably successful without being made by the House of EON.

But Bond 25 is being made by Eon ...

But Bond 25 is being made by Eon ...
    I don't believe anyone has said otherwise.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    RC7 wrote: »
    Awful film.

Totally agree.

That is not entirely true. MI6 Community HAS confirmed that it's more than baseless rumor that EON might sell the franchise after Bond 25.

• edited February 2018 Posts: 1,407
    Delete
    No worries about me; NSNA is below every EON Bond film for me, besides possibly DAD (roughly tied). The CR parody is worse though.