No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The American embassy in Prague definitely screamed Bond in Mission: Impossible. Its haunting atmosphere (all the fogs, the suspense and the huntdown) would compliment a Bond film like none other.
    Oh definitely. The entire Prague sequence was very well done, particularly when things started to go 'off script' as it were. The tension was palpable. It was masterful direction. I remember thinking the film was almost a 'bit weird' back then but now it just seems like a prophetic style of film making.
    bondjames wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    When you see this, it makes you realise that there is still so much potential within the Bond series. It just needs a really bold choice re writers and directors. Scenes like this tell us so much about Costner's character whilst giving a great action scene. We dont need dialogue and backstory re his character. We can see his inner values via his actions. If we do want to explore the inner Bond, it can be done though action and the choices he makes: not stupid family backstories.
    I fully agree. That's what they used to do in the past anyway imho. I learned about Bond from the old films without the need for elaborate peelback narratives and dressing downs (something which began infamously with Dench's arrival). One can tell about a man's character from the way he behaves in certain scenarios over a number of films. I find that far more interesting than being beaten over the head with his flaws constantly.

What the film makers perhaps don't realize is that the constant nagging in some respects diminishes the character. I've said it before and I'll repeat it now: to some extent I think they're ashamed of their past and are trying to forget it. That's the impression they give me sometimes anyway.

I think GE struck a good balance with the introspective stuff. Like with the Dench scene you mentioned, they didn't overdo it, it was just the two of them sussing eachother out and by the end of the scene, they got eachother. Same with the scene at the beach. A bit heavyhanded but it's just a little moment to show Natalya getting to grips with who he is, something which paid off later on when she returns the "go ahead, kill her/him" line. Some of Alec's lines were a bit much imo. I really liked how he used his knowledge of Bond to put him down (like when he describes his funeral as pretty much exactly how it would be) but the "vodka martinis to silence the screams of all the men you've killed" line is very clunky imo.

On the whole though I think GE did that stuff well and didn't get bogged down in it the same way the first three Craig movies did (really not a fan of the Craig/Dench dynamic). I thought SP was a lot better with that side of things, I felt it was more subtle and GE esque.
    I agree that it worked in GE for the most part, beach scene excepted. It's just that 1995 is when this approach of narrated peelback began, and while they were able to pull it off reasonably in that film, I think it's become progressively tiresome since. We've had over two decades of this sort of thing now and perhaps it's time for these folks to just go back to making decent plot focused films which Bond just participates in. Ironically, I think the closest to that recently has been SF, because that didn't focus too much on Bond. The childhood 'lair' and 'cave' were almost trivial in comparison to the fundamental M/Silva conflict which drove the film.

They did the character thing with Dalton but in his case we learned about it more through observing his behaviour rather than via exposition.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The American embassy in Prague definitely screamed Bond in Mission: Impossible. Its haunting atmosphere (all the fogs, the suspense and the huntdown) would compliment a Bond film like none other.
    Oh definitely. The entire Prague sequence was very well done, particularly when things started to go 'off script' as it were. The tension was palpable. It was masterful direction. I remember thinking the film was almost a 'bit weird' back then but now it just seems like a prophetic style of film making.
    +1. Indubitably.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,980
    I maintain that it's the same Bond from DN through DAD. There is enough continuity and common characters (as opposed to actors). Dalton is buddy-buddy with Leiter and Moore is too. That's because they're the same character.

Craig obviously rebooted the series.

I would have preferred that the unnamed organization in CR that became Quantum and sort of got subsumed into Spectre be the "loose" antagonist, but SP completely botched that. I would prefer a Bond 25 that simplifies all this (somehow--perhaps the "young turks" idea from one of the TSWLM scripts) and sends Craig out on a high note.

Blofeld the character should have stayed in the '60s.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As with Judy Dench, While the same character is played by the same actors, they are not in the same timelines. the M of Brosnan's films is not the same M as Craig's, even though played by the same actress ; the Leiter of LALD is not the same Leiter of License to Kill, even if played by the same actor. As I said, the age of the actors and the fact that the Bonds take place in the time they are released make it impossible for the Bond of Dr. No to be the same as the one in DAD, he would have been over 70 years old.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    It's about the characters, not the actors (including Bond himself).
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    That's the thing about the Bond from DN to DAD. His age was never discussed as he was portrayed as a timeless character. Depending on the era, you're going to have to assume the timeline was moved forward to suit the actor's setting. The Bond series was never rebooted until Craig's arrival.

They kept Judi Dench because she was dearly loved by the Bond community and the filmmakers. She's the only actress who plays different Ms: Barbara Mawsdley in the Brosnan era, and Olivia Mansfield in the Craig era.
  • The guy [De Palma] knows his stuff.
    And yet THE UNTOUCHABLES contains one of the most face palm-worthy continuity errors I've ever seen.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Different eyes, different views. ;)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    echo wrote: »
    I maintain that it's the same Bond from DN through DAD. There is enough continuity and common characters (as opposed to actors). Dalton is buddy-buddy with Leiter and Moore is too. That's because they're the same character.

Agree.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @ClarkDevlin how do you know what M’s name is in the brosnan films?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    @ClarkDevlin how do you know what M’s name is in the brosnan films?
    The Raymond Benson novels. I believe her name was taken from one of the GoldenEye drafts... Although, I don't remember if Gardner was the one to put her name in the literary publications, first.
    All you guys talking about continuity and things like that are some of the same people who criticised EON for connecting the Craig films. Although god knows that should have been handled a bit better. But my point is that continuity is more of a thing now than ever. Bond from DN-DAD was like The Simpson's. Timeless with sly references to past adventures. If you want them to exist together, they can. If not, that's fine too.

So just pointing out before certain people complain about EON concerning themselves with everything connecting, remember some of the comments above
    Any news about the studio-situation? I mean if we get no news in the next couple of months, i can't imagine Bond 25 comes out 2019
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Any news about the studio-situation? I mean if we get no news in the next couple of months, i can't imagine Bond 25 comes out 2019

I can't imagine them releasing a release date for the film without some confidence that the distribution situation will get sorted - it would be very embarassing to have to move it back. Be patient - Broccoli said we'd get some news early in the year, we're still only in January.
    echo wrote: »

I would have preferred that the unnamed organization in CR that became Quantum and sort of got subsumed into Spectre be the "loose" antagonist, but SP completely botched that. I would prefer a Bond 25 that simplifies all this (somehow--perhaps the "young turks" idea from one of the TSWLM scripts) and sends Craig out on a high note.

Blofeld the character should have stayed in the '60s.

Totally agree that DN to DAD is a intended to be a single continuity era. Perhaps the only real wobble is OHMSS.

However we are now in the era of the reboot and audiences accept that. I can’t see a reason why the next actor would pick up where Craig left off
    Regarding the continuity discussion, it's all about suspension of disbelief. As I said in an earlier post, in the past it was 'loose'. That more readily allowed for different interpretations, which is precisely whey people have suggested differing points of view on continuity in the above posts.

It's plausible to presume that Connery/Moore is the same continuity, given the Tracy references peppered throughout Moore's tenure. They certainly expected us to believe that Dalton was the same, given the Gogol and Tracy reference, and that's a valid assumption. However, despite those references, one could just as readily assume that it's a soft reboot given the timelines weren't so rigid. One could also think this because Dalton was so much younger, and it's possible because OHMSS (the film where Tracy appears) was a standalone after all (which was a great thing in my view, because several assumptions can sprout as a result). Brosnan seemed like a semi-reboot (Tracy and Felix weren't mentioned) and Craig is a hard reboot.

Given they have referenced origins so blatantly in the last 4 films, as well as his age and relationships (most notably the foster brother connection and Vesper, Mathis etc. etc.), it will be difficult to just carry on without a soft reboot. That's even more so because the Craig reboot run has been in effect for over a decade now. The question is do they go with a Dalton style which references the past after he is gone or a Brosnan version which ignores it.

Either way, I'd prefer if they get on with it because they've botched what was once a promising origin reboot, but which has run its course.
    Dennison wrote: »

I can't imagine them releasing a release date for the film without some confidence that the distribution situation will get sorted - it would be very embarassing to have to move it back. Be patient - Broccoli said we'd get some news early in the year, we're still only in January.
    They can move the date. It happens all the time in the industry and as we've discussed, that was more of a placeholder. From what I can see, they aren't bothered by the date, but rather are taking their time to line up their ducks. I hope they continue with that approach. We don't want another rushed debacle.
    Regarding the continuity discussion, it's all about suspension of disbelief. As I said in an earlier post, in the past it was 'loose'. That more readily allowed for different interpretations, which is precisely whey people have suggested differing points of view on continuity in the above posts.

It's plausible to presume that Connery/Moore is the same continuity, given the Tracy references peppered throughout Moore's tenure. They certainly expected us to believe that Dalton was the same, given the Gogol and Tracy reference, and that's a valid assumption. However, despite those references, one could just as readily assume that it's a soft reboot given the timelines weren't so rigid. One could also think this because Dalton was so much younger, and it's possible because OHMSS (the film where Tracy appears) was a standalone after all (which was a great thing in my view, because several assumptions can sprout as a result). Brosnan seemed like a semi-reboot (Tracy and Felix weren't mentioned) and Craig is a hard reboot.

Given they have referenced origins so blatantly in the last 4 films, as well as his age and relationships (most notably the foster brother connection and Vesper, Mathis etc. etc.), it will be difficult to just carry on without a soft reboot. That's even more so because the Craig reboot run has been in effect for over a decade now. The question is do they go with a Dalton style which references the past after he is gone or a Brosnan version which ignores it.

Either way, I'd prefer if they get on with it because they've botched what was once a promising origin reboot, but which has run its course.

They can move the date. It happens all the time in the industry and as we've discussed, that was more of a placeholder. From what I can see, they aren't bothered by the date, but rather are taking their time to line up their ducks. I hope they continue with that approach. We don't want another rushed debacle.

Eon are always bothered about the date.

Where do you get that from? Everything I've read from them over the years suggests quite the opposite. The same goes for MGM.
    It dawned on me last night assuming that November 2019 date is real we will know the title of Bond 25 before the end of the year as it’s something that will excite Bond fans across the globe (me and my wife still make fun of that guy who did the spectre intro)

Where do you get that from? Everything I've read from them over the years suggests quite the opposite. The same goes for MGM.

Par example?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Risico007 wrote: »
    It dawned on me last night assuming that November 2019 date is real we will know the title of Bond 25 before the end of the year as it’s something that will excite Bond fans across the globe (me and my wife still make fun of that guy who did the spectre intro)

Hmmm, only like literally 11 months to go. And I think there is a 50% chance that the title will be something like “Bond” or “007”

Hmmm, only like literally 11 months to go. And I think there is a 50% chance that the title will be something like “Bond” or “007”

007 in New York?

To be fully honest before all is said and done with the bond franchise I firmly believe every useable title be it short story chapter or unused title will be used for a bond film at some point but to get 007 in New York before Risico The hildebrand Rarity or The Property of a Lady is almost as bad as getting a delicatessen not made of stainless steel

007 in New York?

To be fully honest before all is said and done with the bond franchise I firmly believe every useable title be it short story chapter or unused title will be used for a bond film at some point but to get 007 in New York before Risico The hildebrand Rarity or The Property of a Lady is almost as bad as getting a delicatessen not made of stainless steel

No Bond film will ever be called 007 in New York.

Par example?
    Several comments by MGM on their distributor calls and several comments by Craig, Wilson and Babs over the years in terms of rushing forward with a Bond film rather than taking their time.

It has been the distributor (e.g. Sony) who has pushed them for a release over the years and not the other way around. They have resisted and Craig has even said that they have mispoke in the past. It's all on this thread.

I'm still wondering what makes you think they care about that date so much? I also don't understand why there would be any embarrassment regarding a pushback, given studios do it all the time, and that date was announced in July without a distributor in place. I'm not saying it will get pushed back, but I don't see where the shame comes in, particularly if a delay results in a better film.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 1,031

Par example?
    Several comments by MGM on their distributor calls and several comments by Craig, Wilson and Babs over the years in terms of rushing forward with a Bond film rather than taking their time.

It has been the distributor (e.g. Sony) who has pushed them for a release over the years and not the other way around. They have resisted and Craig has even said that they have mispoke in the past. It's all on this thread.

I'm still wondering what makes you think they care about that date so much? I also don't understand why there would be any embarrassment regarding a pushback, given studios do it all the time, and that date was announced in July without a distributor in place. I'm not saying it will get pushed back, but I don't see where the shame comes in, particularly if a delay results in a better film.

I have said nothing to contradict what you have just written. All I mean is that once a date is set a date is set. That's the way Eon works, I wasn't referring to the gaps between films. That's a separate issue all together. Or the decision process before a date is set. The one time they've changed a release date was for TND, which was in exceptional circumstances - principal photography didn't begin until April 1997.
  • Dennison wrote: »

As an aside, on Wednesday it will have been six months since they announced that release date without the distributor issue settled.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 2,115
    //The one time they've changed a release date was for TND, which was in exceptional circumstances - principal photography didn't begin until April 1997. //

Quantum of Solace was originally announced for May 2, 2008 (about 18 months after Casino Royale). It was later pushed back to the fall.

After Quantum changed, Paramount slated the first Iron Man movie in the May 2 date.

Here's the press release announcing the May 2, 2008 date. It was issued as production on Casino Royale was wrapping up.

https://www.sony.com/en_us/SCA/company-news/press-releases/columbia-pictures/2006/columbia-pictures-and-mgm-announce-may-2-2008-rele.html

Par example?

I have said nothing to contradict what you have just written. All I mean is that once a date is set a date is set. That's the way Eon works, I wasn't referring to the gaps between films. That's a separate issue all together. Or the decision process before a date is set. The one time they've changed a release date was for TND, which was in exceptional circumstances - principal photography didn't begin until April 1997.
    Ok, I see what you mean. What you say is true, but the difference this time is they had no distributor when they announced that date.

As an aside, on Wednesday it will have been six months since they announced that release date without the distributor issue settled.
    Which is an important point of clarification. That date was set without a distributor or a director (since confirmed). So the idea was to work towards that date, which is different from how they've approached it in the past (where a distributor was known in advance and in agreement with the proposed release date). Additionally, as we've discussed, two mega releases have since moved within shooting distance of that date (WW-2 and SW9).
    talos7 wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    All right, I know how unpopular this is but after seeing Dunkirk, I posted here that I thought Styles would be a candidate. I know his “boy-band” roots turn some people off but he has an intangible star quality and a look that can be surprising intense.
    By the time Nolan would take over Harry would be nearing 30, a perfect age to launch a series that would allow Nolan the time to show Bond mature into a double O

So you're suggesting to reboot the reboot and one of the best Bond films?

Well, Nolan has said that he knows exactly what he wants to do with Bond; in it’s current incarnation, they have painted themselves into a corner by making Bond’s age an issue.
    Now it is possible that they could drop another actor into the "Craig Timeline" but it's unlikely, particularly if someone of Nolan's stature, and vision. takes the reigns.

One way or another, I believe that the next actor will usher in and entirely new incarnation of the character and will begin with a clean slate.
    I agree with you that the current direct continuity timeline has boxed them in. Looking back on it, I'd say it's one of the most asinine decisions taken by the producers. The appeal of the older films (which enables them to be viewed over and over again) is the fact that James Bond is essentially timeless. Apart from the fashions and technology changing around the films along with a few other tweaks, the character was essentially the same and the continuity was quite 'loose'. The approach they've taken recently just makes him like any other 'time constrained' hero, necessitating a reboot every time the role is recast. In a way, that's probably why they're hanging onto Craig too - because they've locked themselves in creatively and will need to reset in a more dramatic way after he's out.

This direct continuity thing was a fashion driven change that wasn't necessary in my humble view. Just because everyone else does this sort of thing, it doesn't mean that Bond has to.

I hope they realize this and at least attempt to revert back to a 'no continuity' narrative with his last film, to set the stage for a return to form after he's out.
    The "timeline" of Craig´s Bond films is so messed up that I would suggest they could easily drop it while Craig is on board. They screwed so much previous content with successive films that it would be less confusing if they completely ignored the idea of a timeline with the next film.

Apart from that, maaan I so hope that someone like Nolan will never direct a Bond film.

All right, I know how unpopular this is but after seeing Dunkirk, I posted here that I thought Styles would be a candidate. I know his “boy-band” roots turn some people off but he has an intangible star quality and a look that can be surprising intense.
    By the time Nolan would take over Harry would be nearing 30, a perfect age to launch a series that would allow Nolan the time to show Bond mature into a double O

So you're suggesting to reboot the reboot and one of the best Bond films?

Well, Nolan has said that he knows exactly what he wants to do with Bond; in it’s current incarnation, they have painted themselves into a corner by making Bond’s age an issue.
    Now it is possible that they could drop another actor into the "Craig Timeline" but it's unlikely, particularly if someone of Nolan's stature, and vision. takes the reigns.

One way or another, I believe that the next actor will usher in and entirely new incarnation of the character and will begin with a clean slate.
    I agree with you that the current direct continuity timeline has boxed them in. Looking back on it, I'd say it's one of the most asinine decisions taken by the producers. The appeal of the older films (which enables them to be viewed over and over again) is the fact that James Bond is essentially timeless. Apart from the fashions and technology changing around the films along with a few other tweaks, the character was essentially the same and the continuity was quite 'loose'. The approach they've taken recently just makes him like any other 'time constrained' hero, necessitating a reboot every time the role is recast. In a way, that's probably why they're hanging onto Craig too - because they've locked themselves in creatively and will need to reset in a more dramatic way after he's out.

This direct continuity thing was a fashion driven change that wasn't necessary in my humble view. Just because everyone else does this sort of thing, it doesn't mean that Bond has to.

I hope they realize this and at least attempt to revert back to a 'no continuity' narrative with his last film, to set the stage for a return to form after he's out.
    The "timeline" of Craig´s Bond films is so messed up that I would suggest they could easily drop it while Craig is on board. They screwed so much previous content with successive films that it would be less confusing if they completely ignored the idea of a timeline with the next film.
    Agreed. They should ignore their mess. I would have preferred if they did a 'GE' and recasted as well, but irrespective, just ignore the past going forward imho.
    Apart from that, maaan I so hope that someone like Nolan will never direct a Bond film.
    Given his penchant for 'timelines', things could get even more confusing! I can't even imagine what time travelling scenario he would come up with.