No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    More ridiculous tripe from the media.
  • Hilarious.

This is typical tabloaid journalism. Clearly Lee Smith (who is doing the rounds currently to secure Dunkirk's Oscar chances) was asked about whehter Styles could play Bond and he entertained the journalist for a few moments and they're conjured a story out of it.

Hardly unique.

Though if Nolan wanted to direct a series of Bond film focussing on Bond's pre-Mi6 adventures in the SAS or something, I'd be very keen on that. Perhaps Jack O'Connell?

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F50b541a8-67e2-11e7-9b7b-d051f7c13c06.jpg?crop=6476%2C3642%2C0%2C337&resize=685

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    All right, I know how unpopular this is but after seeing Dunkirk, I posted here that I thought Styles would be a candidate. I know his “boy-band” roots turn some people off but he has an intangible star quality and a look that can be surprising intense.
    By the time Nolan would take over Harry would be nearing 30, a perfect age to launch a series that would allow Nolan the time to show Bond mature into a double O
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    And that’s fair but because he was part of a boy band, he is already eliminated, he can’t be bond. Simple as that.
    Probably, but if it happens, I’m on the recordi. Lol
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Styles? Lol!

I’ll have whatever they’re having for a smoke...
    :D
    I would 99% support Styles as Bond under Chris Nolan's direction. (99% instead of 100%, because he is a bit too short to play Bond.)
    Roll on March I say if that's when we are allegedly going to learn something official after the Solo film wraps?!!!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Though if Nolan wanted to direct a series of Bond film focussing on Bond's pre-Mi6 adventures in the SAS or something, I'd be very keen on that. Perhaps Jack O'Connell?

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F50b541a8-67e2-11e7-9b7b-d051f7c13c06.jpg?crop=6476%2C3642%2C0%2C337&resize=685
    There was a rumour a few months back that he was under consideration at one point. I certainly hope not.
    I would 99% support Styles as Bond under Chris Nolan's direction. (99% instead of 100%, because he is a bit too short to play Bond.)
    That hasn't stopped them before.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Roll on March I say if that's when we are allegedly going to learn something official after the Solo film wraps?!!!

I sincerely hope we’ll learn something in March. I was hoping by now we’d know something as to filming locations, or potential casting news. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Many sources have him listed at 6’. He’s at least Craig’s height.

Are we seriously contemplating this Styles chap for Bond? That would certainly be throwing in the towel as far as I'm concerned.
    Not me. I'm right in the head.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Someone call James Cameron to raise the bar again. It's gotten too low. =))
  • I think Jack O Connell would be great. He can do charismatic and intense really well.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I think Jack O Connell would be great. He can do charismatic and intense really well.
    His name was tossed about when Demange & Mackenzie were in the frame and prior to Craig committing. I think he has worked with both of them. I've only seen him in Money Monster and he was completely outshone in that film by nearly everyone else, sadly.
    Murdock wrote: »
    James Cameron directing Bond? That, I'd watch! :))
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I think Jack O Connell would be great. He can do charismatic and intense really well.
    His name was tossed about when Demange & Mackenzie were in the frame and prior to Craig committing. I think he has worked with both of them. I've only seen him in Money Monster and he was completely outshone in that film by nearly everyone else, sadly.

I haven't seen that but he's very good in 71 and Starred Up @bondjames. Been meaning to check out Godless on Netflix with him too. Skins is pretty crap but he was the best part of the episodes I've seen (his comeback episode in the last series is worth checking out actually, has nothing to do with the others, it's a stand alone crime drama). He was in This Is England too, but from what I remember that was only a really small part.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

If it's True Lies Cameron, i am so on board
    00Agent wrote: »
    That James Cameron, yes. Not the T3/Avatar Cameron. ;)
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,837

He didn't do T3 to be fair, but I've always been a bit underwhelmed by True Lies. James Cameron's take on Bond starring Arnold should be so much better than that film was imo. GE came out around the same time and I think it ripped it to shreds in pretty much every way, including action/spectacle (which is the one thing you'd think Cameron would nail).
    bondjames wrote: »

I haven't seen that but he's very good in 71 and Starred Up @bondjames. Been meaning to check out Godless on Netflix with him too. Skins is pretty crap but he was the best part of the episodes I've seen (his comeback episode in the last series is worth checking out actually, has nothing to do with the others, it's a stand alone crime drama). He was in This Is England too, but from what I remember that was only a really small part.
    Thanks @thelivingroyale. I should at least check out 71 and Starred Up given they are directed by Demange and Mackenzie respectively. Who knows, one of them may actually get the job after all.

He didn't do T3 to be fair, but I've always been a bit underwhelmed by True Lies. James Cameron's take on Bond starring Arnold should be so much better than that film was imo. GE came out around the same time and I think it ripped it to shreds in pretty much every way, including action/spectacle (which is the one thing you'd think Cameron would nail).
    That toilet scene followed by the horse chase is top notch though. So is the Key West chase, and the Harrier sequence at the end still holds up today in terms of special effects. The only bit I didn't enjoy in that film was the sideshow with Bill Paxton.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Thanks @thelivingroyale. I should at least check out 71 and Starred Up given they are directed by Demange and Mackenzie respectively. Who knows, one of them may actually get the job after all.

Didn't know Mackenzie did Starred Up. Thought Hell and Highwater was great but didn't think the direction was anything too mindblowing (to be fair though can't say I'm a film expert), just seemed like it was the script and the acting that did it more than anything else. But Starred Up too? He must be pretty good. I'd be really happy with either of them honestly.
    I just looked it up and have always been under the impression Cameron directed it for years... Now I know why T3 was underwhelming compared to its predecessors.

I completely understand where you're coming from regarding True Lies. For me, basically it's the first 20 minutes that are worth a Bond fan's eyes, as that Switzerland sequence was pure Bondian for me. But, like you, I also kind of felt a bit let down what came afterwards. Still a great action flick, though.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,837
    I just looked it up and have always been under the impression Cameron directed it for years... Now I know why T3 was underwhelming compared to its predecessors.

I completely understand where you're coming from regarding True Lies. For me, basically it's the first 20 minutes that are worth a Bond fan's eyes, as that Switzerland sequence was pure Bondian for me. But, like you, I also kind of felt a bit let down what came afterwards. Still a great action flick, though.

The opening was pretty cool, with him swimming under the ice and the GF homage with the tux under the wetsuit, but I remember thinking the escape was underwhelming (just runs down the hill shooting people as he goes iirc?). Then the horse bit was a cool idea I guess, but can't say I remember it being executed amazingly. Then it goes off on a massive tangent focusing on him thinking his wife is cheating on him? The fighter jet stuff was cool but I think overall considering it was basically Cameron and Arnie doing Bond, pretty disappointing. Weirdly all over the place story and underwhelming action, especially with the money (most expensive film ever at the time) and director they had.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423

The opening was pretty cool, with him swimming under the ice and the GF homage with the tux under the wetsuit, but I remember thinking the escape was underwhelming (just runs down the hill shooting people as he goes iirc?). Then the horse bit was a cool idea I guess, but can't say I remember it being executed amazingly. Then it goes off on a massive tangent focusing on him thinking his wife is cheating on him? The fighter jet stuff was cool but I think overall considering it was basically Cameron and Arnie doing Bond, pretty disappointing. Weirdly all over the place story and underwhelming action, especially with the money (most expensive film ever at the time) and director they had.
    I don't disagree there. I just wish they kept his private life angle out of the equation and just made a pseudo-Bond film with Arnie as the super-spy...

...Tia Carrere would've made a terrific femme fatale Bond Girl for Arnie's character to conclude the film with in a romantic manner.
    ...Tia Carrere would've made a terrific femme fatale Bond Girl for Arnie's character to conclude the film in a romantic manner.
    Tia was awesome.

Honestly guys, the action sequences in True Lies are top notch, especially for their time. I encourage you to watch it again. Only the domestic squabble brings the film down.
    ...Tia Carrere would've made a terrific femme fatale Bond Girl for Arnie's character to conclude the film in a romantic manner.
    Tia was awesome.

Honestly guys, the action sequences in True Lies are top notch, especially for their time. I encourage you to watch it again. Only the domestic squabble brings the film down.
    I still like the film. Just not as a Bond film type.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 15,870
    Are we seriously contemplating this Styles chap for Bond? That would certainly be throwing in the towel as far as I'm concerned.

I couldn't agree more. Alan Cummings in the climax of GE wearing that goofy shirt, glasses and shorts looks more like Bond by comparison.
    I think it's generational to a degree. Today's 32 year old actors look most comfortable dressed in hoodies with their smart phones glue to their eyes checking out their facebook page.
    With most of these "Bond candidates" I wouldn't believe for an instant they'd even know what baccarat is. Who ever becomes the next Bond, there needs to be a timelessness to him. He should be able to fit in today's world as well as Fleming's.