No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Those are good points @patb, and I believe he has to change with the times. In fact, I think QoS tackled that element quite well, as I've mentioned previously. The realpolitik and shadiness of spycraft. The compromises that are required.

I always recall my first experience viewing YOLT as a kid. I remember wondering why the Brits were the smart ones while the Americans and Russians were threatening each other. That is a position the UK can still occupy in the world, if it gets its house in order. That is a place where Bond can reside too, and I believe we will see elements of that in the next film (think TND's rehash of Gilbert's approach - two major powers confronting one another and the UK or MI6 as the impartial arbiter trying to stop a catastrophe). They can even throw in aspects of a 'strained' special relationship if they want. Or as I've suggested before, make it about a problem within the CIA (the 'Deep State' is all the rage these days) which impacts and compromises Felix. That should be right up P&W's emotional alley.
    @bondjames good points but that is a relatively short term solution (looking at the situation outside GB and how we can help) rather than the long term issue re how relevant GB will be on the international front in , say, ten years time.

As a counter argument, as we do decline, it could be that the pure escapism of Bond becomes more attractive to divert our attention from reality but not sure how that works re the international market.

We cant build cars, we cant lay rail track, we cant build power stations, we cant fund the NHS etc etc

During the period of "white heat of technology" (when Aston Martin really was a British car) we had a certain swagger which was reflected by Bond himself. Can Bond still display that wonderful air of confidence and class etc when the country he represents has lost it?
    @patb, to answer your question, yes I think Britain can still project a swagger. First it needs to define itself in a post-Brexit world, so the answer is not known yet. The leadership is lacking and the direction is unknown at present. So there is a period of uncertainty and anxiety. That will inevitably change, most likely with new, bold leadership. When, I can't say but it will happen eventually.

The answer to Bond's place in the future is somewhat tied to Britain's. The British intelligence services are still among the best in the world (despite the Christopher Steele & Iraq Yellow Cake disgraces) and most people know that. This is where Bond works after all, and so he can still be relevant and credible even as Britain declines relatively.

Regarding 'British technology': I just think the film makers shouldn't emphasize it or play it up too much. Just let it 'be'. For example in the old Connery films Bond wore a Rolex, not because it was British (it's Swiss after all) but because it was arguably the best. They didn't draw too much attention to it, but we all noticed the watch. They should do the same thing with Aston Martin (or whatever) in the future. That in itself projects a certain confidence. So, I believe what they did with that new bespoke car in SP was a catastrophic mistake (idiotic in fact). They should have played it like they did in GE or CR. Once again, Campbell did it best.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    My top 3 locations for B25...

1. UAE (Dubai or Abu Dhabi)

2. Greece (Athens or Santorini)

3. Monaco (Monte Carlo)

I would love to see Bond visit the UAE. I think it has the potential to play host a fantastic car chase, either through the city with the Aston Martin up against a fleet of super cars, or through the desert.

The Mercedes G63 AMG 6x6 would make for a perfect villain's vehicle imo.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    bondjames wrote: »
    This 'news' (taken with a pinch of salt) has got me thinking. Bond will film around the time of Brexit occuring. I wonder what the implications are for EU filming locations. I suppose it doesn't really matter since the funding will come from a US production company, but still.

Since B25 is being written now, I would guess it is being informed by both Brexit and the re-rise of Russia. But I hope they don't revisit either the overuse of UK locations or a third (yawn) cybersecurity plot.

As for locations...Europe, Europe, Europe. Eastern Europe, maybe. That worked well for TLD and CR. Bond just doesn't work as well when set in the US and Asia.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    SWITZERLAND guys!!

The best Bond films have been partially shot in Switzerland!

Goldfinger
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    GoldenEye (PTS)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    In a recent Grand Tour they went to a area
    Of waterfalls in Croatia that looked beautiful.
    SWITZERLAND guys!!

Goldfinger
    GoldenEye (PTS)

None of those films are Bond 25 - please remember this is a BOND 25 THREAD.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    It's unlikely though not impossible that they'll use Paris as MI:6 will be using it as a location. But then that needn't stop them.
    I don't mind Venice being used, but I could think of other places I'd send Bond. Greece isn't a bad option. Should be relatively cheap to shoot there you'd think ;)
    After watching LALD this past week, I thought an updating of the novel LALD would be a neat send off for Daniel Craig. So many great elements to that book that could be used (ok so they've all been used before, but what Bond film hasn't reused stuff before), the keelhauling, Felix Leiter, Mr. Big. Obviously some of the characters might need a name change so it wasn't a direct remake, but story wise it could work. And some of the story.

I'll just be happy to get some actual news regarding Bond 25 to be honest.

I wouldn't put it past them just yet. It's eerie how similarly the finales of M:I-RN and SP line up.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dennison wrote: »
    SWITZERLAND guys!!

Goldfinger
    GoldenEye (PTS)
    He wasn't particularly going off topic. He was commenting on the locations that made the films quite glamorous which could easily be a suggestion for Bond 25.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    SWITZERLAND guys!!

Goldfinger
    GoldenEye (PTS)
    He wasn't particularly going off topic. He was commenting on the locations that made the films quite glamorous which could easily be a suggestion for Bond 25.

It was of course a suggestion for Bond 25. I think that should be obvious in the context of the conversation in this thread ;)
    SWITZERLAND guys!!

Goldfinger
    GoldenEye (PTS)

It was of course a suggestion for Bond 25. I think that should be obvious in the context of the conversation in this thread ;)
    Don't mind them, old chap. Some of us, sometimes, do get tuckered out around here (including me). ;)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Switzerland would be certainly nice, though Austria has worked very well for Craig too (and most people would hardly notice the difference ;) )

I also think Greece would be an interesting choice for Craig, and I would be happy if they shoot in Croatia, there are beautiful coast towns there.

Hope we get some confirmations soon as i am playing around with the idea to visit a Shooting location for B25 as part of a holiday.
    I think it was after the release of Skyfall when Craig expressed desire to take Bond to Sydney, Australia, as well. I wonder if that would be incorporated to the next film.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    00Agent wrote: »
    Hope we get some confirmations soon as i am playing around with the idea to visit a Shooting location for B25 as part of a holiday.

For us, is the best experience ever.

Goldeneye only touched a little on Bonds relevance in the world, this is where it holds the upperhand compared to Craigs entries IMO.vGE is a good film & a good quality Bond film

Bond & Silvas relationship was interesting, but it didnt come close to Bond & Treveylans 006 story.
    I'd posit that GE had quite a lot to say about Bond's relevance in a post-Cold War order. It was there in the M/Bond, MP/Bond, and Alec/Bond scenes, as well as the Valentin/Bond scene. However, there was enough of a plot so that these issues didn't overwhelm the narrative. Rather, they informed it.

In SF, I've always felt that M/Silva was the dynamic. Not Bond/Silva. Bond was almost an onlooker. That was different from Alec/Bond, where there was real tension and history.

EDIT: It will be curious to see what message they give us in B25. It's clear from P&W's comments that something will be incorporated, especially after the lengthy 4 year wait.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    SWITZERLAND guys!!

Goldfinger
    GoldenEye (PTS)

He was giving a location suggestion, which is perfectly in line with the topic.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    For some time, because of a lack of real news, this thread has been fairly loose; perhaps when there is a formal announcement of a title, a director, etc. a thread can be started that is more focused.
    It will focus when there's concrete information to discuss. Not to worry. We are some time away from anything substantive on a regular basis however (even a director or distributor announcement will be a 'one off'). The real activity will happen this fall/autumn, so about 8 to 9 months to go.
    I still see them making a headlining announcement by late February or early March.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    talos7 wrote: »
    For some time, because of a lack of real news, this thread has been fairly loose; perhaps when there is a formal announcement of a title, a director, etc. a thread can be started that is more focused.
    As @bondjames said, once we have more definitive news to discussed, this thread will become more focused. No sense in opening up another for the same purpose.
    SWITZERLAND guys!!

Goldfinger
    GoldenEye (PTS)

Wasn't obvious to me.
    Another quote from Waltz - bear in mind this interview was done at the Venice Film Fest in September.
    At which point my head is hurting, so we move on to James Bond. The previous time we met, Waltz had just begun shooting Spectre. He played the film’s iconic villain, Blofeld, but was underused, had a silly scene with some robotic brain-torture needles and an even sillier revelation about Blofeld’s backstory (he was Bond’s quasi-stepbrother, when they were kids). The finished film was very “meh”, and I sense that he knows it. He’s too smart, in short, to lie.

“It was an incredible experience to be part of this postwar cultural phenomenon,” he says cautiously. “Yet I can’t say that I was happy at every step of the process. I feel that there are some loose ends with my engagement. And I’m not saying that I’m going to be in the next one. I’m not going to be in the next one. But let’s say, er, in terms of my feeling that I have sufficiently served a purpose, there are a few white blotches on that map for me, personally.”

I tell him that I have no idea what any of that means. “I don’t want to be critical of something that doesn’t deserve to be criticised, so that’s why I’m being a little cryptic,” he says. “There are just certain things I am unhappy with. I wish I would have gotten the opportunity to iron those glitches out.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/times2/christoph-waltz-the-bond-villain-with-the-philosophers-mind-phlfbqsvx
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Singapore would be an excellent location for at least part of Bond 25. Its a very futuristic city surrounded by stunning landscape.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Singapore would be an excellent location for at least part of Bond 25. Its a very futuristic city surrounded by stunning landscape.
    Yes, great idea.
    Similar to the Shanghai scenes in SF though I think.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Roadphill wrote: »

That's an inspired choice @Roadphill, I was in Singapore last year. It is indeed a modern and stunning city.
    Would make a great Bond location.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Another quote from Waltz - bear in mind this interview was done at the Venice Film Fest in September.
    At which point my head is hurting, so we move on to James Bond. The previous time we met, Waltz had just begun shooting Spectre. He played the film’s iconic villain, Blofeld, but was underused, had a silly scene with some robotic brain-torture needles and an even sillier revelation about Blofeld’s backstory (he was Bond’s quasi-stepbrother, when they were kids). The finished film was very “meh”, and I sense that he knows it. He’s too smart, in short, to lie.

“It was an incredible experience to be part of this postwar cultural phenomenon,” he says cautiously. “Yet I can’t say that I was happy at every step of the process. I feel that there are some loose ends with my engagement. And I’m not saying that I’m going to be in the next one. I’m not going to be in the next one. But let’s say, er, in terms of my feeling that I have sufficiently served a purpose, there are a few white blotches on that map for me, personally.”

I tell him that I have no idea what any of that means. “I don’t want to be critical of something that doesn’t deserve to be criticised, so that’s why I’m being a little cryptic,” he says. “There are just certain things I am unhappy with. I wish I would have gotten the opportunity to iron those glitches out.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/times2/christoph-waltz-the-bond-villain-with-the-philosophers-mind-phlfbqsvx
    It's almost like he is auditioning for the role. I don't disagree with his assessment. His performance was no worse than any of the other actors in the film (to be frank, I think he was better than most), and so if they have the ability and opportunity to return, then so should he. Moreover, they deliberately left his story open ended, and so it appears that there was initially more to be told based on his remarks.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I was worried about SP the moment I read EON cast Waltz, was terrified when I heard the title song before I saw the movie and in the end SP turned out the movie I hoped it would not be. So ... I hope Waltz won't return.