Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Kick back and watch it. It's a fun film and if you like film noir and bogart detective films then this will be a delight.
    Indeed! That's why I bought it in the first place. It parodies the film noir genre and even incorporates footage from old film noir pictures, am I right?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I never saw The Dark Knight Rises before now, I got the blu ray because of all the talk on here and just watched it... big fan of BB, not so much of TDK, but I have to say TDKR is a F****ng MASTERPIECE!!!! I will be reeling for days. Many tissues have been destroyed. OMFG.

Are you sure you watched the right movie.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Kick back and watch it. It's a fun film and if you like film noir and bogart detective films then this will be a delight.
    Indeed! That's why I bought it in the first place. It parodies the film noir genre and even incorporates footage from old film noir pictures, am I right?

Correct. Some of the incorporations are very smart, Martin is one good form. He really suits to pithy one liners and he has good chemistry with a luminous Rachel Ward. it stars everyone from Veronica lake to Cary grant and Charles Laughton.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Correct. Some of the incorporations are very smart, Martin is one good form. He really suits to pithy one liners and he has good chemistry with a luminous Rachel Ward. it stars everyone from Veronica lake to Cary grant and Charles Laughton.
    That's my Saturday night sorted!
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 1,817
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    invasionofthebodysnatchers-emailable.jpg
    Happy to say that this was a very impressive and enjoyable viewing. Working off an intelligent premise and McCarthy's excellent screen presence, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" is one of the most satisfying pictures I have seen. It is astoundingly well paced at a brisk 80 minutes, and knew how to get under my skin. The horror came not from what was shown visually, necessarily, but in its higher ideas and how these were conveyed through the medium. How would you feel if the people around you looked the same, but were no longer themselves; bereft of the intrinsic capacity to emote, which once made them basically and utterly human? I can see why so many remakes followed.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,376
    Happy to say that this was a very impressive and enjoyable viewing. Working off an intelligent premise and McCarthy's excellent screen presence, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" is one of the most satisfying pictures I have seen. It is astoundingly well paced at a brisk 80 minutes, and knew how to get under my skin. The horror came not from what was shown visually, necessarily, but in its higher ideas and how these were conveyed through the medium. How would you feel if the people around you looked the same, but were no longer themselves; bereft of the intrinsic capacity to emote, which once made them basically and utterly human? I can see why so many remakes followed.

Great paranoia Sci Fi from that era.

uk-quad-poster-for-the-ladykillers-1955-8034401.jpg
    The Ladykillers the best Ealing comedy in my opinion and a masterclass in character acting and suspense. I watched this film hundreds of times on video, first time watch on Bluray.

A great example of best laid plans being derailed...
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Always been a favorite of mine. Beautiful black and white photography, wonderful tension throughout, and as you say a genius premise.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Love this film. Remember seeing it in my early teens on tv and being completely awed by it. Brilliant. Love a good old B&W film.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,189
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Finally saw this last night and came out feeling underwhelmed. One problem I have with this new saga is that it seems to feel increasingly hokey and artificial with too many nods to the original films. I don't feel "connected" enough with the story. Other than Adam Driver, who was excellent as Kylo Ren, none of the other "new" cast members really give that much of an impression.

Daisy Ridley is lovely to look at and cute as anything, but she isn't the greatest of actresses. I suspected that with TFA and kind of had it confirmed here. She just isn't very convincing, you can see her trying to act in every scene that requires her to show anger or intensity.

Also, I keep sniggering whenever I see Domhall Gleeson hamming it up as General Hux. He's like a cross between Ralph Feinnes and Toby Stephens.

The best scenes though involve the older/original cast members. Obviously it's great to see Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher (obviously for the final time) share screentime again as well as a cameo from Yoda, but the film doesn't seem to have that much more going for it other than some impressive CGI effects.

Good in parts but it felt rather vacuous.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Love this film. Remember seeing it in my early teens on tv and being completely awed by it. Brilliant. Love a good old B&W film.

Precisely. Great film. Anyone interested in it might want to read the original novel. It's a short but very good book.

I guess I should confess that I love the Kaufman remake even better but, and this I must clarify, that has a lot to do with me simply drooling over the 'ugly' and 'raw' look of 70s horror films. The 50s version is intellectually more stimulating; the 70s version, for me at least, is the scarier one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Finally saw this last night and came out feeling underwhelmed. One problem I have with this new saga is that it seems to feel increasingly hokey and artificial with too many nods to the original films. I don't feel "connected" enough with the story. Other than Adam Driver, who was excellent as Kylo Ren, none of the other "new" cast members really give that much of an impression.

Daisy Ridley is lovely to look at and cute as anything, but she isn't the greatest of actresses. I suspected that with TFA and kind of had it confirmed here. She just isn't very convincing, you can see her trying to act in every scene that requires her to show anger or intensity.

Also, I keep sniggering whenever I see Domhall Gleeson hamming it up as General Hux. He's like a cross between Ralph Feinnes and Toby Stephens.

The best scenes though involve the older/original cast members. Obviously it's great to see Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher (obviously for the final time) share screentime again as well as a cameo from Yoda, but the film doesn't seem to have that much more going for it other than some impressive CGI effects.

Don t you mean THE LAST JEDI ?
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Don t you mean THE LAST JEDI ?

Yep, corrected.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,691
    I never saw The Dark Knight Rises before now, I got the blu ray because of all the talk on here and just watched it... big fan of BB, not so much of TDK, but I have to say TDKR is a F****ng MASTERPIECE!!!! I will be reeling for days. Many tissues have been destroyed. OMFG.

What? Am I the only one who cried at the end of TDKR???
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yes, but I also enjoyed it. Noisy score, though.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

That's how films used to be.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Glad TDKR has another fan.

That's how films used to be.
    That's true actually. Older films had louder scores. I quite like the score for TDKR though, despite it being somewhat intrusive. I find it enriches the narrative.
    bondjames wrote: »
    You were part of why I finally decided to finally purchase & watch it. Many humble thanks.

This trilogy was so unlike normal superhero movies. And I have to admit that the 2hrs & 40 minutes just flew by. I fear this quality in superhero movies (attempting this level of 'realism') will never be surpassed.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    I'm going to watch STARSHIP TROOPERS now.
    First time ever I actually watch something newer than mid-70s, Bond aside.

For Denise Richards, no less. Building up a Bond girl film library he he....

Wish me luck...
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    You were part of why I finally decided to finally purchase & watch it. Many humble thanks.
    My pleasure. I can't believe you waited this long to check it out. The film probably suffered in the US on account of that maniac who shot up a theatre and its inhabitants on opening night in Colorado.
    This trilogy was so unlike normal superhero movies. And I have to admit that the 2hrs & 40 minutes just flew by. I fear this quality in superhero movies (attempting this level of 'realism') will never be surpassed.
    I'm afraid you're probably right. It's up there with the original Star Wars and LOTR trilogy as the best of the best imho.

It's interesting to note that it wasn't conceived as a trilogy originally (Zimmer mentioned that when I saw him live in concert last year. Apparently Nolan got called back each time and then he reached out to everyone else who came along willingly and enthusiastically. It was fun to listen to him recount with passion what a great experience it was to work on these films and how he developed certain elements of the score for each installment).
    32 minutes into Starship Troopers....

...love the army angle, obviously....shower scene.....yes Rico looks hot naked but NO DENISE RICHARDS arghhhh.....
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Call Me By Your Name

Top 5 of the year for me, easy. Hammer and Chalamet deliver some touching, moving performances in a film that lingers and lets you soak in the beauty of what's unfolding alongside the gorgeous scenery of Italy. Scarcely have I seen this country breathe in film the way it does in this, reminds me of a Paolo Sorrentino film. Absolutely beautiful.
    I LOVED TDKR when i first saw it in the cinema. When i re-watched it on Blu Ray it was mainly good, but seemed a bit too long.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,813
    I like TDKR, and admire it for its balls. They weren’t afraid to take new ground with the character.

It’s just that on the one hand (spoilers for a movie now 8 years old) we literally saw Batman quit and retire to live happily ever after. That’s nice, but with all the stories I grew up with depicting him as Batman for life, I felt like Rocky when he did that commercial:

“Well this ain’t right; this whole thing ain’t right.”

maxresdefault.jpg

I know Batman isn’t real, but after the first two awesome movies it felt like TDKR sort of took everything they were cooking up and turned it into a ‘what if’ one-off story.

More upsetting is the fact that he wasn’t even Batman for very long! After Batman Begins, he’s active ‘about a year’ (the movie outright says so). Then between TDK & TDKR he’s absent for eight freaking years . And then he passes the mantle?!? Definitely not the Batman I grew up with— and after such a strong start!

However I recently saw something that made me feel better about it, and maybe will for you too: it was a picture of Bale & Batfleck side by side, and above Batfleck it said “comic adapted”. Above Bale it said “comic inspired”.

And that’s a good thing to remember: Nolan’s movies take Batman out of the pages and put him into the real world.
    I LOVED TDKR when i first saw it in the cinema. When i re-watched it on Blu Ray it was mainly good, but seemed a bit too long.

It was old school film-making, kind of the flipside of a film like QOS.
    90 minutes into Starship Troopers. Denise Richards in uniform is worth it.
    But then movie on the whole....shocking.
    Still...love the army angle.
    However I recently saw something that made me feel better about it, and maybe will for you too: it was a picture of Bale & Batfleck side by side, and above Batfleck it said “comic adapted”. Above Bale it said “comic inspired”.

And that’s a good thing to remember: Nolan’s movies take Batman out of the pages and put him into the real world.
    This is very true. That's why the trilogy resonates for me. It's more real than fantasy in the way he pulled it together. There's a little bit of Bat/Bond style glamour & action for us fanboys but at its core it's about character building, strength in the face of adversity, loss and sacrifice. In other words, real heroism. That's why the somewhat happy ending, while perhaps ultimately a bit too clean, is still very satisfying.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    As long as none of the TDKR fans here are SF plothole knockers then all is fine.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    That's why the somewhat happy ending, while perhaps ultimately a bit too clean, is still very satisfying.

There is something gratifying about seeing a character you love ending up alright in the end
    I have a horrible habit of dividing movie fans into those who understand Starship Troopers and those who don't.
    That's why the somewhat happy ending, while perhaps ultimately a bit too clean, is still very satisfying.

There is something gratifying about seeing a character you love ending up alright in the end

Like I said, many tissues were destroyed. ;)