Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love The Force Awakens and Rogue One equally. Both great Star Wars films. They are tied in second place in my ranking. Nothing beats Empire Strikes Back though. :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    I love The Force Awakens and Rogue One equally. Both great Star Wars films. They are tied in second place in my ranking. Nothing beats Empire Strikes Back though. :D
    That's the common wisdom... but I love the first best.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Jack Frost
    Trying to get more in to the Christmas spirit (been listening to Christmas music for the past 2 weeks :D), I caught this one on TV. Kinda cheesy, late 90s holiday movie starting Michael Keaton and Kelly Preston. It's ok, the snowman animatronics were pretty good, but some of the CGI was lousy. I give it points though for featuring hockey.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Gerard wrote: »
    Rogue one : I may be in the minority here, but I find it a very worthy addition to the saga. Everything practically perfect in any way.

No, I enjoyed it too. Far better than The Farce Awakens.
    maxresdefault.jpg

I have noticed this on rotation on Movies4Men over the last few weeks. I watched it last night. If it were at all possible to have both Collins, and Dalton, then I would have no objection to the idea of Collins as Bond. That moment, when Skellen makes his move in the study, he takes out 3 of the other side, in around 5 seconds. I had to rewind, and see that bit again.

Saw this in the cinema on initial release, will try and catch it on M4M, the only times I've caught it it had already started.
    The Thing (1982) dir. John Carpenter. Arrow Video Ltd Ed blu-ray boxset. Awesome film, loved it in the cinema and still love it now. A great package from Arrow with all the archive featurettes and some new features, double-sided poster and booklet with some great images and writing, plus some lobby cards too!
    One of Carpenter's best films and there is nothing I'd change about it, a really great Sci-Fi/Horror film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    i really miss those lobby cards. They were always displayed behind glass outside the cinema for every film they showed, old or new. It was a kind of sneak peak at the film.
    i really miss those lobby cards. They were always displayed behind glass outside the cinema for every film they showed, old or new. It was a kind of sneak peak at the film.

These are, of course, reprints scaled-down to fit in a blu-ray case, but very welcome. Also have lobby cards in Carrie and Bird With The Crystal Plumage.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    maxresdefault.jpg

I have noticed this on rotation on Movies4Men over the last few weeks. I watched it last night. If it were at all possible to have both Collins, and Dalton, then I would have no objection to the idea of Collins as Bond. That moment, when Skellen makes his move in the study, he takes out 3 of the other side, in around 5 seconds. I had to rewind, and see that bit again.

Not well thought of in the snobby British film industry but who cares. The climactic assault on the embassy is brilliantly done. And it's a good thriller overall.

It has a killer theme too.

Every morning I wake up and have my breakfast, I want that theme playing.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    maxresdefault.jpg

Not well thought of in the snobby British film industry but who cares. The climactic assault on the embassy is brilliantly done. And it's a good thriller overall.

I share the exact same sentiment!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    maxresdefault.jpg

It certainly is a super cool theme. Roy Budd at his finest.
  • Gladiator
    A good film. It also did not deserve to win Best Picture.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    SW-TFA (2015)
    In anticipation of TLJ, I took in a viewing of my 2nd favourite film of 2015 (behind the excellent MI-RN). It was just as good as it's always been. I love every minute of this film and hope the new one can give me that sense of nostalgia and elation that I felt upon first viewing. Oscar Isaac really stands out among the cast and I hope to see more of him tomorrow. So does Daisy Ridley (an excellent casting choice, which makes me think that it's probably best to go with a completely unknown actor for Bond #007).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @bondjames, judging by your post, I think you will love the film. If nostalgia is what you want, it is exactly what you're going to get, friend. ;-)
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    That's great news @DarthDimi. I didn't realize you'd seen it already since I've been avoiding the SW thread (I'm going into this one pretty much blind as I've actually been closing my eyes whenever a trailer for it came on in a theatre over the past few months). I'll post some spoiler free thoughts tomorrow. It's my first viewing ever in one of those 'moving seat' theatres as well so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully not too much of a distraction.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @bondjames, judging by your post, I think you will love the film. If nostalgia is what you want, it is exactly what you're going to get, friend. ;-)

Gawd, don't say it's another re-hash like The Farce Awakens! Please tell me there is something original in it.
    Like almost every other Star Wars starting with Ep. VI, it's new stuff and something of a 'greatest hits' both.

I had a blast, but then I'm a Star Wars fan. Asking me if I liked it is like asking me if I liked that Red Bull I just had. Red Bull is Red Bull; some cans are a bit colder, some a bit less acidic, but a caffeine junky like myself will take it no matter what, even if critics say Red Bull tastes like rubbing a peach against your anus.

Same with Star Wars. Star Wars is Star Wars, and I will take it no matter what, even if the critics say it's rubbish or if they praise it. Some films are a bit duller, some a bit more childish, some more stylish, some more philosophical, but Star Wars remains Star Wars. This one, to be fair, strikes me as one of the stronger, also darker and more inspiring ones. In the end though, it is what Star Wars has always been: space battles, lightsaber duels, mystical Force speak, cute droids and aliens, Skywalker things, ... And as Disney produced it, the darker moments are contrasted by lighter moments. Fun for the whole family and all that.

It's also a pretty long film, at 2.5 hours. Perhaps a trimmed version would bring more jazz, while this edit offers more blues if you catch my drift. Dedicated Star Wars fans will be rewarded, newcomers won't be able to understand a thing of what they're seeing. It's like ESB in tone, but it's not a rehash of ESB if that can soothe some nerves. ;-)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,733
    Fire Down Below.

Seagal breaking bones like it's nobody's business.

Also: "my nose, my nose!!!!111"
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Fire Down Below.

"Cracked my wood; that's no good."
    maxresdefault.jpg

It certainly is a super cool theme. Roy Budd at his finest.

I bought a Best of compilation of Roy Budds music themes many years ago. Was disappointed to find Who Dares Wins absent. Great composer! Get Carter is my favourite of his!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mother!

Well that was unusual. An allegorical film seemingly about Adam and Eve.

Disturbing in places with stunning performances. Especially Michelle Pfiefer who is seriously creepy.
    Mother! is one of my favourite films of the year. Seriously creepy stuff indeed. I'm due a rewatch soon.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Fire Down Below.

"Cracked my wood; that's no good."

Fun scene. Reminds me of Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider.
    Mother!

Well that was unusual. An allegorical film seemingly about Adam and Eve.

Disturbing in places with stunning performances. Especially Michelle Pfiefer who is seriously creepy.

I took the film to be about
    God and his hypothetical "wife" --the "mother"-- neglected by him because he is consumed with the burden of creation. And then of course, the reverence and love for him that is eventually corrupted and destroyed (that would be the Adam and Eve part for me). Following this theory, I liked how the movie presented "God in the image of man," fallible, frustrated, seemingly omnipotent but in fact daunted by the task of making his creation work. I have sometimes entertained the possibility that, even if there might be a divine nature to God, there might also be something imperfect, even fundamentally flawed about him. I'm sure I'm not the only one. This film seemed to capture that idea quite well. And just evaluating its narrative, I must say the gradual process through which the otherwordly nature of the events is revealed was most satisfying. Pfeiffer was great, too. Fine actress.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Mother! Is amazing and I am astounded quite frankly at all the hate it gets.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mother! Is amazing and I am astounded quite frankly at all the hate it gets.

I'm not, it's easily one of the most divisive films I've seen in the last decade. You'll either love it or hate it, can't say I've met anyone who seemed to label it as just good/alright.
    LOGAN LUCKY not to be confused with the X-Men film of a similar title.

I liked it, thought it was pretty funny and Daniel was great. I doubt it will become a film I'll buy multiple times over the decades each time it gets remastered like I do the Bonds.
    THE AUTOPSY OF JANE DOE

Went in completely blind, not knowing anything at all of what to expect and oh my, what a film! I love this little scary flick.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    LOGAN LUCKY not to be confused with the X-Men film of a similar title.

I liked it, thought it was pretty funny and Daniel was great. I doubt it will become a film I'll buy multiple times over the decades each time it gets remastered like I do the Bonds.

It's a shame all of Craig's films are flops when he's not playing Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    star-wars-the-last-jedi-dolby-cinemas-poster-1058861.jpg