Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Interesting I have a sister called Iris.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Tonight: Reviewing To Kill A Mockingbird A brilliant item of filmmaking, if considerably reduced in its details as compared to the literary template, which I remember studying in high school. But altogether totally satisying...especially in the light of current politics in Alabama, regarding the possible election of a twice-removed judge to the office of Senator of the United States.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It was brilliance, and very edgy back then.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,262
    Poster%20-%20Prisoner%20of%20Zenda,%20The%20(1952)_01.jpg

Even though it essentially copies the B & W 1937 version with Ronald Colman scene for scene with even the same Alfred Newman musical score I think this remains my favorite version of the tale. Granger's and Mason's final sword duel is a classic action sequence.
    Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004). Nice follow up to the first, but a lesser effort despite the obviously larger budget. However I came into this with the realization that it was a giant arc, so I have no problem at all with it. Seeing Oded Fehr in it made me want to watch the Mummy movies again (which I will at some point), and fight & shooter scenes did not disappoint. And Milla rocks!!! This is some fun felgercarb.
    Rewatched It's a Wonderful Life (1946). Brilliant film!
    Rewatched It's a Wonderful Life (1946). Brilliant film!
    An anti-Trump movie! It will be banned soon.

Even though it essentially copies the B & W 1937 version with Ronald Colman scene for scene with even the same Alfred Newman musical score I think this remains my favorite version of the tale. Granger's and Mason's final sword duel is a classic action sequence.

Love that final sword duel. Only rivalled slightly by Scaramouche (Granger again!)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Love that final sword duel. Only rivalled slightly by Scaramouche (Granger again!)

Agreed. Granger's 2 1952 swashbucklers make for a great double feature. I think those 2 films and the comedy-western North To Alaska are my 3 favorite films of his.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Thief (1981) - Had only seen this once before, it may be my second favourite Michael Mann film behind Heat, the soundtrack is incredible and James Caan is perfectly cast as the titular character. Highly recommend for anyone that likes Heat, Collateral, Drive, The Driver, Le Samourai etc.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    You have excellent taste, @NSGW.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited December 2017 Posts: 299
    @DarthDimi Based on your comment I must assume you do aswell :) I think I still need to watch Manhunter, The Keep and Blackhat to complete his filmography, although I'm not really interested in the latter one. Your favourite Michael Mann film?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,612
    For starters, @NSGW, I'd say check out Blackhat. It has many of the usual Mann elements in it and it's far less of a problematic film than critics will have you believe. Also, it's shot very well and according to some computer experts, the hacking talk is fairly realistic.

I tend to watch Mann's films once every two or so years, always in order. Here's a short overview:

1) Thief: excellent theatrical début, great film. 5/5
    2) The Keep: not Mann's comfort zone, clearly. Has some merits but always proves to be the toughest of the bunch to sit through, for me at least. 2.5/5
    3) Manhunter: brilliant police procedural, one of the genre definers, with a great mood and impressive visual and musical work. Forget Silence Of The Lambs though; this isn't a real Hannibal Lector film since our beloved cannibal is barely in this movie. 5/5
    4) The Last Of The Mohicans: powerful film, though not my favourite subject matter, great score, good performances. 4/5
    5) Heat: Mann's best, incredible film, my favourite of his, faultless. 6/5 (If you allow me this numerical indulgence.)
    6) The Insider: tremendously powerful follow-up to Heat. Exquisite film; well acted, perfect score, tense story. 5/5
    7) Ali: biopics aren't my thing, but this one works. Smith does the job. Magnificent photography. 4/5
    8) Collateral: Cruise at his best, exciting film, my first theatrical Mann experience and what an experience it was! 5/5
    9) Miami Vice: Haters love to hate. This isn't the television series, folks, so move beyond that. I think this is a really well made film, with superb photography and great performances. 5/5
    10) Public Enemies: Unusual film but not bad, more a film I would have expected Fincher or Scorsese to make, but Mann pulls it off. A bit slow in parts, tends to lose me in certain scenes, but remains great fun to watch. 4/5
    11) Blackhat: Mann's underrated film, with great atmosphere, beautiful people to look at, a great score, great photography and inspiring locations. Took me by surprise, not because it's a good film, but because it wasn't recognised as such. 4.5/5

So, can you tell I'm a fan of the "Mann"? ;-) I guess he's my favourite living director along with Spielberg, Nolan and Villeneuve. I love almost everything Mann's ever put on screen, including Miami Vice (the series) and LA Takedown, the original "Heat" as it were.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Princess Bride
    movie%2Bposter.bmp

My last day of fencing class was the other day. Since we did so good, and this is our coach's last year of teaching, he decided to let us enjoy pizza and a movie. He picked The Princess Bride because it has fairly realistic sword play, and it's just a good movie.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    You have excellent taste, @NSGW.

Agree
  • NSGWNSGW London
    For starters, @NSGW, I'd say check out Blackhat. It has many of the usual Mann elements in it and it's far less of a problematic film than critics will have you believe. Also, it's shot very well and according to some computer experts, the hacking talk is fairly realistic.

I tend to watch Mann's films once every two or so years, always in order. Here's a short overview:

1) Thief: excellent theatrical début, great film. 5/5
    2) The Keep: not Mann's comfort zone, clearly. Has some merits but always proves to be the toughest of the bunch to sit through, for me at least. 2.5/5
    3) Manhunter: brilliant police procedural, one of the genre definers, with a great mood and impressive visual and musical work. Forget Silence Of The Lambs though; this isn't a real Hannibal Lector film since our beloved cannibal is barely in this movie. 5/5
    4) The Last Of The Mohicans: powerful film, though not my favourite subject matter, great score, good performances. 4/5
    5) Heat: Mann's best, incredible film, my favourite of his, faultless. 6/5 (If you allow me this numerical indulgence.)
    6) The Insider: tremendously powerful follow-up to Heat. Exquisite film; well acted, perfect score, tense story. 5/5
    7) Ali: biopics aren't my thing, but this one works. Smith does the job. Magnificent photography. 4/5
    8) Collateral: Cruise at his best, exciting film, my first theatrical Mann experience and what an experience it was! 5/5
    9) Miami Vice: Haters love to hate. This isn't the television series, folks, so move beyond that. I think this is a really well made film, with superb photography and great performances. 5/5
    10) Public Enemies: Unusual film but not bad, more a film I would have expected Fincher or Scorsese to make, but Mann pulls it off. A bit slow in parts, tends to lose me in certain scenes, but remains great fun to watch. 4/5
    11) Blackhat: Mann's underrated film, with great atmosphere, beautiful people to look at, a great score, great photography and inspiring locations. Took me by surprise, not because it's a good film, but because it wasn't recognised as such. 4.5/5

So, can you tell I'm a fan of the "Mann"? ;-) I guess he's my favourite living director along with Spielberg, Nolan and Villeneuve. I love almost everything Mann's ever put on screen, including Miami Vice (the series) and LA Takedown, the original "Heat" as it were.

Thanks for that, great overview and I agree with almost everything you said. Its not surprising you also like Nolan and Villeneuve aswell as both they're styles are very reminiscent of Mann's. In fact you should check out the Q&A Nolan did for Heat's 20th anniversary with Mann, De Niro and Pacino, among others, if you haven't already:

As you're fan of Miami Vice I would have to guess that you're also a fan of LTK too? (Its #7 in my rankings and my favourite Dalton).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    NSGW wrote: »
    Thief (1981) - Had only seen this once before, it may be my second favourite Michael Mann film behind Heat, the soundtrack is incredible and James Caan is perfectly cast as the titular character. Highly recommend for anyone that likes Heat, Collateral, Drive, The Driver, Le Samourai etc.

One of my favorites of Mann's as well, but it's not really saying much since I love a lot of his fare. Electrifying soundtrack in Thief elevates the entire movie to unbelievable heights for me.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,612
    I have that Q&A on my HEAT blu-ray. :)
    And yes, I love LTK, and I'm a fierce Daltonite. Can you tell from my avatar? :)

I would like to add that Nolan made his crew watch HEAT before shooting TDK.
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Horror of Dracula
    Deep Impact
    NSGW wrote: »
    @DarthDimi Based on your comment I must assume you do aswell :) I think I still need to watch Manhunter, The Keep and Blackhat to complete his filmography, although I'm not really interested in the latter one. Your favourite Michael Mann film?
    I REALLY liked Blackhat...
    See? Blackhat really works well!
    See? Blackhat really works well!

Count me in on that one, too. A very solid and well shot thriller, if not a bit slow at times. Wasn't anywhere near horrible like the reviews seemed to peg it as. Incredibly stylish, as is to be expected from Mann.
    Now I have to watch my Blu Ray of Blackhat again! It WAS really terrifically photographed... and I even enjoyed the slowness... but... no hammer... ;)
    I love the late night street scenes. Makes me wish I was there.
    I've still only seen it the one time it was released. I'll have to change that in the near future.
    Mann s best work was Miami Vice the tv series.

I'm ashamed to say I've only seen a few episodes of it, but I'm in love with his movie adaptation. I'm in the minority regarding that, but damn, would I love a sequel to it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm ashamed to say I've only seen a few episodes of it, but I'm in love with his movie adaptation. I'm in the minority regarding that, but damn, would I love a sequel to it.

I liked that as well, along with Collateral and Manhunter. The rest of what I have seen has been pretty uninteresting.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I liked that as well, along with Collateral and Manhunter. The rest of what I have seen has been pretty uninteresting.

Took me way too long to get around to Manhunter but damn was it good. Tom Noonan is always engaging and intriguing in everything I've managed to see him in (The House of the Devil springs to mind.)
    Manhunter is probably the one film he did that is most similar to Miami Vice the tv show, and that includes MV the movie.