Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1966)

Now this was more like it. Far better than those mediocre 70s efforts. Although laughable, the whole atmosphere here is much more enticing. I enjoy the style.
    DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1966)

Now this was more like it. Far better than those mediocre 70s efforts. Although laughable, the whole atmosphere here is much more enticing. I enjoy the style.

First Lee Dracula film I saw on television as a kid. I still love it!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What a servant that Clove is! Such devotion, and he is even skilled at halal slaughter.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've never seen any of these films sadly, but I enjoyed the practical effects behind the forming of the body in that clip. Pretty damn well done for a mid-60's flick.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've never seen any of these films
    Oh you must! At LEAST see Horror Of Dracula, Dracula Prince Of Darkness & Dracula Has Risen From The Grave!

chrisisall wrote: »
    Oh you must! At LEAST see Horror Of Dracula, Dracula Prince Of Darkness & Dracula Has Risen From The Grave!

I'm a huge horror fan, but there's not a single horror classic such as these Dracula movies/those old 30's monster movies that I've gotten to see, sans the original Nosferatu, which I adore. I need to change that eventually.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I'm a huge horror fan, but there's not a single horror classic such as these Dracula movies/those old 30's monster movies that I've gotten to see, sans the original Nosferatu, which I adore. I need to change that eventually.

Definitely watch the Hammer: Draculas same with the Hammer: Frankensteins, if you haven't seen those either.
    Dance of the Vampires (1966)
    A film i always tend to watch near or at Christmas.
    Roman Polanskis horror spoof is great entertainment. He stars himself and the unique Jack MacGowan as the vampire hunters chasing Ferdy Mayne and his cohorts in Transylvania.
    Great production values (Douglas Slocome on lensing duties) and good score , full of memorable set pieces and a chillingly funny final scene. Always a good watch!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Dance of the Vampires (1966)
    A film i always tend to watch near or at Christmas.
    Roman Polanskis horror spoof is great entertainment. He stars himself and the unique Jack MacGowan as the vampire hunters chasing Ferdy Mayne and his cohorts in Transylvania.
    Great production values (Douglas Slocome on lensing duties) and good score , full of memorable set pieces and a chillingly funny final scene. Always a good watch!

I think it was titled "The Fearless Vampire Killers" here in the States. Yeah, fun watch for sure.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 17,694

One thing though- and this is just MY opinion- see the Hammer movies in standard DVD because Blu Ray will cause the make-up effects to look terrible.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,530
    War for the Planet of the Apes first time watch it does have pacing issues and the tone feels off at times, despite that I was drawn into the film for the majority. There were some incredible moments and it pulled no punches with its violence and the evil that men do, ultimately the new trilogy is book ended well with this film though it's probably the weakest entry.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. It as a tough film to sit through, satisfying all right, but arguably the weaker of the three reboot films. I sat through the entire trilogy in one theatrical marathon last Summer and I promise, my mind was numb. It's amazing how powerful these three films are. I was exhausted, empty inside, after close to 7 hours of apes drama.

One thing though- and this is just MY opinion- see the Hammer movies in standard DVD because Blu Ray will cause the make-up effects to look terrible.

Good point. Standard DVD is the way to go for these films. I'd even go as far to say the special effects, particularly in SCARS OF DRACULA looked better on VHS.
    The color timing on the DVD's is excellent as well.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I agree, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. It as a tough film to sit through, satisfying all right, but arguably the weaker of the three reboot films. I sat through the entire trilogy in one theatrical marathon last Summer and I promise, my mind was numb. It's amazing how powerful these three films are. I was exhausted, empty inside, after close to 7 hours of apes drama.

There are a few moments of levity in WAR though it is dark and brutal, after finishing the third film today I immediately thought I need to watch all three films back to back. WAR certainly was full of strong religious themes and allegory, I think it's a film I will enjoy more with repeat viewing. Reeves visuals are impressive and I have high hopes for his take on Batman, though WAR needed a tighter edit in some area's, I wish Reeves good luck with how DC Warner operate.
    Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Forgot just what an accomplished film this is. One of Polanski's best.

The way the film builds on the conspiracy behind Rosemary's pregnancy is terrifying and frustrating because we want people to believe and help this poor innocent woman.

Mia Farrow is outstanding in this. You really do get sucked in to her plight. I think she's in every scene in the film.

Cassavetes also excellent gives a really shifty and twitchy performance as probably the most despicable characters in cinema history.
    Great movie based on an equally great book. The movie really does follow Ira Levin's book by the page, right down to the dialogue. There must have been something in the water back then, because 3 year's later William Peter Blatty wrote The Exorcist. Funny, I re-read Blatty's book recently and I'd forgotten The Beatles references in the book, such as when Karl goes to the cinema to see the latest Beatles movie, which must have been Let It Be. Talking of The Exorcist, the new TV show is terrible. It's like some badly written soap opera with none of the exquisite flourishes of dialogue that Blatty could write. It's totally bland.
    Brawl In Cell Block 99 (2017)

Vince Vaughn (him of light comedies) is so intense in this he almost burns a hole in the screen. It's an intimidating performance and even early on you feel his character has enormous violence inside waiting to erupt.

This starts off as a serious drama as Vince Vaughn's 'Bradley NOT Brad' has to take a job as a drug courier to make ends meet and when a pick up goes wrong, a selfless act ends him up in the slammer for 7 years. The prison scenes are quite surreal and the absurdity levels rise turning the film into an exploitation/grindhouse flick. This is not a criticism by the way as this is gloriously violent and hugely enjoyable.

Vaughn is just blistering in this. His quiet intensity, dry humour and realistic fight scenes means he owns this film. He has good support though, especially Don Johnson as the sadistic cigar chomping warden.

Recommended.
    Great movie. Watched this the day it was first streamed. Then again, I'm a huge fan of S. Craig Zahler, having loved his Wraiths of a Broken Land book. C'mon Ridley Scott, make this movie and not some dross about some rich kid who gets his ear sawed-off that no one wants to go see, anyways. Also loved his Bone Tomahawk. Incidentally, I see Mel Gibson has joined his new movie Dragged Across Concrete, which has already got a Minus-80 Popularity Rating on IMdB.... what's all that about? The movie hasn't even come out and already its members are ragging on it. It's such an untrustworthy site for movies.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Brawl In Cell Block 99 (2017)

Vince Vaughn (him of light comedies) is so intense in this he almost burns a hole in the screen. It's an intimidating performance and even early on you feel his character has enormous violence inside waiting to erupt.

This starts off as a serious drama as Vince Vaughn's 'Bradley NOT Brad' has to take a job as a drug courier to make ends meet and when a pick up goes wrong, a selfless act ends him up in the slammer for 7 years. The prison scenes are quite surreal and the absurdity levels rise turning the film into an exploitation/grindhouse flick. This is not a criticism by the way as this is gloriously violent and hugely enjoyable.

Vaughn is just blistering in this. His quiet intensity, dry humour and realistic fight scenes means he owns this film. He has good support though, especially Don Johnson as the sadistic cigar chomping warden.

Recommended.
    Great movie. Watched this the day it was first streamed. Then again, I'm a huge fan of S. Craig Zahler, having loved his Wraiths of a Broken Land book. C'mon Ridley Scott, make this movie and not some dross about some rich kid who gets his ear sawed-off that no one wants to go see, anyways. Also loved his Bone Tomahawk. Incidentally, I see Mel Gibson has joined his new movie Dragged Across Concrete, which has already got a Minus-80 Popularity Rating on IMdB.... what's all that about? The movie hasn't even come out and already its members are ragging on it. It's such an untrustworthy site for movies.

That's why I never trust IMDB scores. The movie's not even close to being out so why voting is available on it is beyond me.

As for Brawl in Cell Block 99, I'd say it made my Top 5 of the year. Just under three weeks until this bad boy is on 4K and I can rewatch it endlessly.
    Totally agree, @Creasy47. I also don't understand how people can vote on a movie when it's still only in post-production or not even been seen by anyone yet. I've noticed some movies have already gotten hugely positive scores and nobody's seen a single frame of them either. It's further proof that members here shouldn't use the IMdB scores to validate any of their arguments, as they're clearly either tainted or inaccurate.

Also, Brawl in Cell Block 99 is in my Top 5 for this year, too.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    The last few: Tremors, Tremors 2: Aftershocks, Scent of a Woman (1992), Heat (1995), Paprika.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Totally agree, @Creasy47. I also don't understand how people can vote on a movie when it's still only in post-production or not even been seen by anyone yet. I've noticed some movies have already gotten hugely positive scores and nobody's seen a single frame of them either. It's further proof that members here shouldn't use the IMdB scores to validate any of their arguments, as they're clearly either tainted or inaccurate.

Also, Brawl in Cell Block 99 is in my Top 5 for this year, too.

That's IMDB for you. Say, for example, a new DC movie is releasing: the die-hard DC camp will immediately give the film a 10-star rating as soon as voting goes live, and those who loathe DC immediately drop it a 1-star without seeing it. They should just scrub the rating system in general, it's skewed across the board.

Glad it made your Top 5, too! I'll be enjoying the hell out of it as I await Zahler's Dragged Across Concrete. I need to rewatch Bone Tomahawk too, because I recall so very little from it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah, I bet working for DC Warner these days is worse than Bruce's ordeal in Crime Alley.

I like the man primarily for how well he made Let Me In, a more than serviceable remake of a great film.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Yeah, I bet working for DC Warner these days is worse than Bruce's ordeal in Crime Alley.

I like the man primarily for how well he made Let Me In, a more than serviceable remake of a great film.

I've only seen Cloverfield (enjoyed the marketing and hype more than the finished product) and that one you mentioned, and I really enjoyed it. I've still yet to see the original so I can't compare them both, but I went in knowing it was a remake and thought it was very solid and moody overall.

Had to check out his filmography on IMDB, and I never knew until now he wrote Under Siege II back in the 90's!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Dunkirk

My film of the year. Wow, I wish I'd seen this on the big screen. Incredible filmmaking from one the best director's around.

Loved the way the 3 narratives combine near the end and I found this a profoundly emotional experience. I couldn't talk after I saw it I was so choked up.

Nice to see a British film that celebrates it's countries heroism in war. Nolan celebrates the heroism of ordinary people in all its forms.

Stunning achievement.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Dunkirk

My film of the year. Wow, I wish I'd seen this on the big screen. Incredible filmmaking from one the best director's around.

Loved the way the 3 narratives combine near the end and I found this a profoundly emotional experience. I couldn't talk after I saw it I was so choked up.

Nice to see a British film that celebrates it's countries heroism in war. Nolan celebrates the heroism of ordinary people in all its forms.

Stunning achievement.
    It's easily my film of the year also. A towering piece of work. I wish it (and him) every success at the upcoming Oscars.
    There are very few movies I watch and abandonb after ten minutes, I rented Pirates of the Carribian: Salazars Revenge I refuse to watch this dross
    There are very few movies I watch and abandonb after ten minutes, I rented Pirates of the Carribian: Salazars Revenge I refuse to watch this dross

The second-newest one was the last installment I saw - went with my buddy to see it in theaters for his sister's birthday, nearly fell asleep several times throughout. I'll assume the new one is just as bad.

The second-newest one was the last installment I saw - went with my buddy to see it in theaters for his sister's birthday, nearly fell asleep several times throughout. I'll assume the new one is just as bad.

It's appalling even though I have spent money I refuse to watch part 5, no effort has been made by the film makers. I am glad the box office numbers are dropping. I am watching DAF instead

It's appalling even though I have spent money I refuse to watch part 5, no effort has been made by the film makers. I am glad the box office numbers are dropping. I am watching DAF instead

That bad ehh? The fourth one's sole highlight for me was Ian McShane appearing, but this new one just looks bad. Nice to see Bardem hamming it up, looks like he's having fun in this one, but the one trailer I saw looked like it had nothing on offer.

DAF is an infinitely better choice.

"Speak up, darling, I can't hear you."

That bad ehh? The fourth one's sole highlight for me was Ian McShane appearing, but this new one just looks bad. Nice to see Bardem hamming it up, looks like he's having fun in this one, but the one trailer I saw looked like it had nothing on offer.

I own the first four films I like McShane though his film was shocking, look for Lovejoy online great series with McShane

Diamonds... script is underrated

I own the first four films I like McShane though his film was shocking, look for Lovejoy online great series with McShane

Diamonds... script is underrated

I smirk anytime I hear of that show - it's my last name, never in a million years would I have assumed it'd be a TV title until I saw it. He seems pretty dapper in it.