Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Spider-Man Homecoming (2017)
    Good film especially if you love Spiderman films.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Kingsman :The Golden Circle

The first film was smart, funny, clever and cool

This one is dumb, annoying, crass and unfunny

From the opening car chase which was so riddled with naff CGI it looked like the entire sequence was shot on Green screen, I thought this isn't a good start...

The whole thing is such a slog and all the familiar elements that were so fresh in the first film now seem stale and overly familiar. And whose idea was it to stick Elton John in the film? His 'cameo' is about as funny as a tax bill.

Now I can see why this turkey has such a low score on RT
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE SNOWMAN (2017)
    MV5BNDg1NjYyMTEyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY4MDMyMzI@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Pretty decent crime thriller. It may help that all the locations are familar. I haven t read the book, but the criticism against it is mostly about not capturing its spirit.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Good lord, for a moment I thought I was seeing Travolta on that poster.

I'm going to punish myself now.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Good lord, for a moment I thought I was seeing Travolta on that poster.

I'm going to punish myself now.

I saw it like that too!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    SILENCE
    An incredible journey through 1600’s japan, of relegion interests you at all this is definitely worth watching. It’s very long and slow but it is a masterpiece.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Sign of Four 1987 Probably my favorite Holmes novel, this television movie with Jeremy Brett is excellent it's brilliantly Bizarre and sinister, the cast is very good Ronald Lacey from Raiders of the Lost Ark is completely off the wall.
    Gamera, Guardian of the Universe. Yes, I wanted to revisit the giant flying flame-throwing turtle. And it sure was better than the last entry of the Showa Era. You're going to tell me that it was easy, but still, congrats to the producers for bringing the turtle back from the dead, in a good movie, to boot.

gamera-gardien-de-l-univers-programme-japonais-95-original-toho-japanese-program.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Formula For A Muder (1985)
    formula-for-murder1.jpg?w=604
    Not a shining example of the giallo genre, but Warbeck relishes the chance to go deliciously ott with his role, and he does exactly that.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe
    You know my taste, sir. You know what I like. Would you recommend this film to your buddy Dimi?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe
    You know my taste, sir. You know what I like. Would you recommend this film to your buddy Dimi?

I guess so. Warbeck had better films, and worse films. If nothing else, you're getting to see a genre icon have a rare chance to play a villain (it's not a spoiler if the DVD tagline gives it away).
    THE SNOWMAN (2017)
    MV5BNDg1NjYyMTEyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY4MDMyMzI@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Pretty decent crime thriller. It may help that all the locations are familar. I haven t read the book, but the criticism against it is mostly about not capturing its spirit.

Haven't seen this one yet. How does everyone speaking English affect the viewing experience?
    SICARIO (2015)

After seeing Arrival, Prisoners and Blade Runner 2049 already an admirer of Denis Villeneuve. This was just another triumph. Another feather in the hat. Very exciting and powerful film and you never know exactly what will happen next.
    SICARIO (2015)

After seeing Arrival, Prisoners and Blade Runner 2049 already an admirer of Denis Villeneuve. This was just another triumph. Another feather in the hat. Very exciting and powerful film and you never know exactly what will happen next.

Sicario was Easily the best film of that year
    As is Blade Runner 2049 this year.

Sorry but it's Logan so far this year for me.

It was so good. Far far better than what I expected.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I really really must be the only person in here who thought Sicario was awful.

Another good one.

Good grief, that's a word I would have never associated with it! What's awful about it?!!!

Good grief, that's a word I would have never associated with it! What's awful about it?!!!
    Everything.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Please don't tell EON that. Rumour has it the're obsessed with taking Craig down this route, which has more chance to destroy my lifelong fandom than TWINE almost did. Coming after SP, it may be too much for me.
    bondjames wrote: »

Please don't tell EON that. Rumour has it the're obsessed with taking Craig down this route, which has more chance to destroy my lifelong fandom than TWINE almost did. Coming after SP, it may be too much for me.
    I knew you disliked TWINE but I never knew it’s the film you hate enough to almost make you branch out of the franchise. Hmm... In a way or more so, SF did that to me, which ironically shares similar story segments at bits.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »

I knew you disliked TWINE but I never knew it’s the film you hate enough to almost make you branch out of the franchise. Hmm... In a way or more so, SF did that to me, which ironically shares similar story segments at bits.
    It was TND which got me worried @ClarkDevlin. It was so 'by the numbers' checklist that it almost seemed like it was made by some committee of Bond fans rather than EON themselves (the sprinkled pandering Americanisms didn't help). Such a disappointment for me after the promise of GE.

I'll never forget the almost drowning feeling I had walking out of the theatre in 1999 after viewing TWINE though. I honestly thought Bond was finished and I'd be stuck with enjoying the old films. To a degree, I feel the same way now. Until a recast that is, which as you're probably aware can't come soon enough for me.
    Gamera 2 : Attack of Legion : The second "modern" adventure (1996) of the giant flame-throwing turtle. And what a show it was !
    I felt the exact same way coming out of the theatres after SF. I personally love TND and do hail it as an improvement over GE (minus the fight choreography for Bond/Brosnan). But, I do see your concerns regarding TWINE and don’t blame you. SP had its moments but I feel as if they were just mashups constructed by a Bond committee rather than EON which never added up to the story. My worst fear is that they’ll make another SF, which would kill off my interest in the film series for a long time, if not for good.
    I felt the exact same way coming out of the theatres after SF. I personally love TND and do hail it as an improvement over GE (minus the fight choreography for Bond/Brosnan). But, I do see your concerns regarding TWINE and don’t blame you. SP had its moments but I feel as if they were just mashups constructed by a Bond committee rather than EON which never added up to the story. My worst fear is that they’ll make another SF, which would kill off my interest in the film series for a long time, if not for good.
    Your fears are legitimate. As long as Craig is around, they will always live in the shadow of that film and be forced to try and 'top it' (which is a self defeating exercise because the media market will always make the comparison unfavourably). They should realize this, but unfortunately it rarely happens. I'm sure many will disagree with my assessment, but we can revisit in 2019.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Me too, I didn’t like arrival, and wasn’t a massive fan of 2049( however I have to rewatch it for a concrete opinion)
    To equal that which came before, you really need to surpass it.

Me too, I didn’t like arrival, and wasn’t a massive fan of 2049( however I have to rewatch it for a concrete opinion)
    I think his best film by far is Prisoners. If you've not seen that, I highly recommend it. I didn't like Arrival either, even though I perfectly understood what he was going for. I enjoyed Sicario due to the performances and darkness of it all. Villeneuve does 'atmosphere' well.