Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

What the hell? This is one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen. Only The Straight Story to go now, before I have seen all Lynch movies.

It took me a while to recognize the man in the lead role, Henry. It s Jack Nance, one of Lynch s regulars.
    @Thunderfinger It looks like you’ll go from Lynch’s weirdest to his most normal film. I love both for totally different reasons. Eraserhead is a one-of-a-kind experience.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger It looks like you’ll go from Lynch’s weirdest to his most normal film. I love both for totally different reasons. Eraserhead is a one-of-a-kind experience.

It sure is something else. I may have seen it before, not sure. In terms of bizarre elements, only Un Chien Andalou and Naked Lunch come close.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Eraserhead is one of my favourite Lynch films.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,284
    IMO Lynch’s best are:

-Eraserhead
    -The Elephant Man
    -Blue Velvet
    -The Straight Story
    -Mulholland Drive

The others to me range from average to meh. But those 5 are all must-watches.
    COCKNEYS VS. ZOMBIES

cockneys-vs-5zombies-pic.jpg

Had an even better time with this than with SHAUN OF THE DEAD. Honor Blackman shooting up zombies with a bad-ass machine gun is a lot of fun. Alan Ford is always a lot of fun. A highly entertaining film, this.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I once heard that Art should comfort the troubled and trouble the comfortable. Mulholland drive is a great example of that principle in action. What a strange film, but captivating.
    The Last Jedi - a great Star Wars movie that shows that George Lucas was wise to sell his rights and Disney has delivered splendidly. Carry Fishers went out on a high. Great stuff and SW lives.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    IMO Lynch’s best are:

-Eraserhead
    -The Elephant Man
    -Blue Velvet
    -The Straight Story
    -Mulholland Drive

The others to me range from average to meh. But those 5 are all must-watches.

I forgot, I don t think I have seen Inland Empire, either. The only film I really don t like is Dune.
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)

Great fun

• mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    Mrs. Doubtfire.

Well, this is one of those films that's on TV all the time but I'd never actually sat down to watch it. Good fun. Williams was solid, as were Field and Brosnan. With that I've watched a total of fourteen Brosnan films.
    American Assassin

largeposter.jpg

The answer is no; I did not care for this film very much. Honestly, when seeing the trailer, I figured we were going to have some cool aces, including a bad-ass Michael Keaton, punch ISIS in the face for about two hours. Instead, we're given a tense, aggressive and shocking opening sequence, followed by a promising training act, only to progress into a fairly clichéd, safe-for-work Friday night action flick. Seriously, the second half of the film isn't any more brutal than the average Seagal film. And yes, brutality is what I expected to get from this movie.

Given the great and very topical premise of American Assassin, if they had stuck to their guns, we could have gotten a pretty solid revenge film out of this one. Whoever is to blame--the screenwriters, Vince Flynn, or both--someone came up with a ballsy idea and then cowardly withdrew into the safe zone of what the action genre represented in the 90s.

I see this film as a missed opportunity to exploit the pain, the drama and the hatred, and unleash hell. Many people will think me crazy for desiring the extreme, but that's what you get when you release this film today and with a very misleading trailer. This is just another Bourne type film. I wish it had been the first explicit anti-terrorist film, leaving a stamp on the genre, like many WWII films in the 40s and onwards.

Other than that though, it's well-acted, with Keaton giving another great performance in his impressive career. Keaton alone makes sitting through American Assassin worth it.

3,5/5
    Babel what a beautiful and haunting movie about the state of the world, communication and connections. And how proper to show the Anglo English community so paranoid.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @DarthDimi Scott Adkins was totally wasted in this film the turnouts for him made me cringe like hell. In my opinion, he should've been the one playing Mitch Rapp. Not the guy they've cast in the role.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DarthDimi, I'd suggest reading Vince Flynn's books for the true Mitch Rapp treatment. Don't let the film ruin it for you.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    001 wrote: »

Great fun

It's alright but it loses steam. The second half is kind of Die Another Day-tier.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    I might, though my 'to read' pile is pretty high as it is. ;-)
    First, I need to read the Darth Bane trilogy @QsAssistant recommended to me several months ago. I've got the books, and I have two more to finish before I dive into those.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    001 wrote: »

Great fun

It's alright but it loses steam. The second half is kind of Die Another Day-tier.

I loved it, not as much as the first however. But I'm supposed to be getting it as a Christmas gift today so I look forward to watching it.
    AMERICAN MADE

American-Made-Tom-Cruise.jpg

Though obvious similarities with LORD OF WAR are there, I had a great time with AMERICAN MADE. Cruise remains one of the more entertaining actors of today, and his performance in this film is great as usual. Doug Liman's directing adds a lot of weight to this film. The fact that it's grounded in reality, makes things all the more interesting and exciting. Where others may have made this film boring as hell, these guys have shown me a really good time.

4.5/5
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi It's almost an impossible mission for such a film to ever match Lord of War, but I thought American Made came much closer to that level than last year's War Dogs (yet that one was still a very fun film, but it helps that 'Lord of War' and 'American Made' both feature highly charismatic world-weary lead stars in the person of Nicolas Cage and Tom Cruise). 'American Made' will make for a great double feature with the other very entertaining true-story Tom Cruise film Valkyrie.
    @DaltonCraig007
    I'm so glad to read some praise for Valkyrie. I quite like that film but have come to understand I'm in a minority here.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi I've always said that for a thriller where everyone knows the ending (that Adolf Hitler was not killed during that particular assassination plot in June/July 1944), the film still maintains the tension at a very high level, thanks to a tightly written & engaging script, a tremendous cast led by Tom Cruise, and the blistering pace that many Cruise films are known for. In terms of either the thriller genre or true-story films, I'd put Valkyrie in my top 10, because no matter how many times I rewatch it, I feel that nail-bitting tension each time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DaltonCraig007, @DarthDimi, you can add me to the list of ardent Valkyrie fans. I think that's the one which reinvigorated his career after the Oprah debacle. It's a serious thriller, features some really excellent performances throughout, and is indeed tense and engaging throughout the run time. There is something a bit old school about the manner in which it's filmed as well which I like. I was quite upset to see the plotters fate at the end of the film (and not just because they failed in their plan, but rather because I had completely bought into their characterizations). That's a sign of a good film imho.

Nolan s first was the only one I hadn t seen so far. Clearly made on a minimal budget, it still delivers some Nolanesque plot twists, and uses mixed up chronology as a story telling technique. Worth seeing, but not quite up there.

I found this ranking of Nolan s 10 feature length films at Variety:
    http://variety.com/gallery/christopher-nolan-films-ranked-dunkirk-dark-knight-inception/

My own ranking probably goes like this:

10 INSOMNIA
    9 FOLLOWING
    8 INTERSTELLAR
    7 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
    6 DUNKIRK
    5 THE PRESTIGE
    4 BATMAN BEGINS
    3 THE DARK KNIGHT
    2 MEMENTO
    1 INCEPTION
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @Thunderfinger, I didn't even know about Following. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I must seek it out. Of the ones I've seen, my ranking is as follows:

Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight
    Dunkirk
    Inception
    The Dark Knight Rises
    The Prestige
    Interstellar
    Memento
    Insomnia

I still hold out hope that one day I get to do this ranking again with B26 at the top of the list.
    bondjames wrote: »

I still hold out hope that one day I get to do this ranking again with B26 at the top of the list.

I am with you.
    My Nolan ranking:

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman Begins
    3. The Prestige
    4. Dunkirk
    5. The Dark Knight Rises
    6. Interstellar
    7. Inception
    8. Memento
    9. Insomnia
    10. Following
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Christopher Nolan
    1. Interstellar
    2. Memento
    3. Dunkirk
    4. The Dark Knight
    5. Inception
    6. Batman Begins
    7. Insomnia
    8. The Dark Knight Rises
    I think Following is an impressive film debut for Nolan.
  • I wasn't terribly impressed by Following personally. Even taking into account the indie budget, I didn't find the story all that compelling. Memento, for instance, which easily could have been made with a comparable budget, has a vastly better story.

My own ranking of the Nolans:

1. Batman Begins
    2. Interstellar
    3. The Dark Knight Rises
    4. The Dark Knight
    5. Memento
    6. Inception
    7. The Prestige
    8. Following
    9. Insomnia

Yet to see: Dunkirk

I too hope B25 or B26 will soar to the top of that list. If it does it will surely be one of the greatest Bond films of all time for me, as Batman Begins is one of my favorite films of all time.