Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

The 6th Day It's a ok Arnie film the story is decent though Roger Spottiswoode's bland direction makes it an uninteresting watch at times. It occurred to me there are alot of films Arnie is in where he has a double/doppelganger/alternate version.
    Van Damme too. That way, he steals the show from himself.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The 6th Day It's a ok Arnie film the story is decent though Roger Spottiswoode's bland direction makes it an uninteresting watch at times. It occurred to me there are alot of films Arnie is in where he has a double/doppelganger/alternate version.

Seeing Van Damme and Arnie act with there doubles is phenomenal lol
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mattjoes wrote: »

Seeing Van Damme and Arnie act with there doubles is phenomenal lol
    I want that movie!
    Well, $60 and twelve hours in the cinema later, I've crossed off films #30-34 from my 2017 list...

(Also, and this is rather upsetting, I purchased $220 worth of some of my favourite movies on Blu-ray; In the Mood for Love, It Happened One Night, Inside Llewyn Davis, Magnolia, Manhunter, Manhattan, Annie Hall, Dunkirk... only to mistakenly leave the whole bag either in the theater of my final movie or in my Uber on the way home...)

THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)

Unbelievable. del Toro's masterpiece, featuring my favourite performance of the year courtesy of the tremendously underrated Sally Hawkins. Every character is three-dimensional and no arc or plotline is left unresolved. I was in absolute tears by the end. In any other year, this would probably be the best movie of the year. As it stands, this might win Best Picture anyway, so there's that.

10/10

LADY BIRD (2017)

I thought Brooklyn was a cliché, hackneyed story of self-discovery, and despite her being the sole saving grace of the film, I was put off Saoirse Ronan because of it. I'll just eat my words now. Lady Bird is a masterpiece. It's a coming-of-age tale that is up there with Boyhood or Stand by Me.

9.5/10

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME (2017)

Everyone on Earth has praised this film into oblivion already, yeah? So I'll just say this: Armie Hammer is brilliant. There are two different extreme close-up shots of him in this movie where he says nothing, yet says everything.

10/10

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI (2017)

Frances McDormand would flat-out deserve Best Actress for this film if it weren't for Sally Hawkins. Every single note is hit impeccably. For that matter, the same can be said for the rest of the film as well. One of the greatest crime dramas and black comedies ever made, and one of the greatest unresolved endings since Chinatown.

9.5/10

DARKEST HOUR (2017)

Gary Oldman's greatest performance? I think it truly may be. He carries this entire film in a sprint over his head, and everyone else involved - the rest of the cast, Joe Wright, the cameras - are just playing catch-up, hurriedly picking up the occasional scattered piece that falls from the platter as Oldman storms through. And it is riveting. "Dunkirk, Pt. II" indeed.

9/10

Will probably watch all these at some point.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't wait to see The Shape Of Water and Call Me By Your Name. Saw a trailer for both and have tried to avoid everything else about them since so I can go in blind. They look incredible, reviews seem to say the same with their scores.
    Baby Driver (2017). Pretty good film overall. There have been some decent films this year.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Baby Driver (2017). Pretty good film overall. There have been some decent films this year.

I think it's the best film this year.
    I think that was the most overhyped movie of the year for me. Fan reviews and critic reviews alike seemed to hail this thing as a very, very special action movie, and it wasn't for me. I will say I definitely admired the synchronization of some audio effects with the soundtrack - expertly pulled off, made it unique.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I think that was the most overhyped movie of the year for me. Fan reviews and critic reviews alike seemed to hail this thing as a very, very special action movie, and it wasn't for me. I will say I definitely admired the synchronization of some audio effects with the soundtrack - expertly pulled off, made it unique.

What was your best film of the year ?
    001 wrote: »

What was your best film of the year ?

I'm not sure yet, there's still quite a few must-see's before I know which was my favorite.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Easy one for me- Wonder Woman.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Easy for me, too: BLADE RUNNER 2049.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Either Blade Runner 2049 or John Wick: Chapter 2 for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Dunkirk. Not even close for me.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    Dunkirk. Not even close for me.

Seconded @bondjames

Nothing came close.
    Batman Begins

Been many years since I sat through any of these Nolan Batman movies, and with my 4K Collection of the trilogy finally arriving in the mail, it was time for a rewatch. Of course, as always, this one did not disappointment, and I think I'd still stick with my years-old opinion that this is my favorite in the trilogy. TDK is incredible, but it's akin to FRWL for me in that it almost seems "too good" and renown that it takes away some of the magic for me, if that makes any sense? I recall not being a fan of TDKR the last time I saw it, but we'll see how it goes. As for BB, it's incredible - a ton of world-building throughout, which I figure might not be to everyone's liking, but the film moves along briskly for me still. Already can't wait to see it again.
    I would say the first two are equally good.
  • It's not every year I can say by the end of the year that I have a film that could even contend for favorite of the year, as I go to the theater so seldom, but this year I have two:
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Easy one for me- Wonder Woman.
    Easy for me, too: BLADE RUNNER 2049.

And "Pleasant Surprise of the Year" goes to: Ghost in the Shell.
    Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, and It were my biggest favorites. Get Out, Coco, Baby Driver are some of the runner-uppers. I still have to see several more as well. Overall there has been a decent selection of films this year - one of the better film years of this decade IMO.
    Big fan of the anime series here- that makes the movie a big letdown for me... :(
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, and It were my biggest favorites. Get Out, Coco, Baby Driver are some of the runner-uppers. I still have to see several more as well. Overall there has been a decent selection of films this year - one of the better film years of this decade IMO.

Runner-up for me would be the last Apes film.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Big fan of the anime series here- that makes the movie a big letdown for me... :(

Same here actually in terms of the film being a letdown initially. Actually I went in expecting a very dumbed down, Americanized version and I felt like that's more or less what we got. But having revisited the film on Blu-ray a couple times, I've found myself appreciating it more and more—the visuals, the music, the action sequences, even parts of the performances by Johansson, Asbæk, Kitano, and Pitt. It's not Stand Alone Complex and it's neither GitS '95 nor the original manga, but it's a film that has grown on me remarkably quickly.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Same here actually in terms of the film being a letdown initially. Actually I went in expecting a very dumbed down, Americanized version and I felt like that's more or less what we got. But having revisited the film on Blu-ray a couple times, I've found myself appreciating it more and more—the visuals, the music, the action sequences, even parts of the performances by Johansson, Asbæk, Kitano, and Pitt. It's not Stand Alone Complex and it's neither GitS '95 nor the original manga, but it's a film that has grown on me remarkably quickly.

I will have to see it sooner or later...
  • I will say the one part of the film that hasn't improved for me is Juliette Binoche, who still comes off as if she's reading her lines for the first time and hasn't fully invested herself in her character.
    I’m excited to get BR2049 when it comes to Blu-Ray/DVD. As a huge fan of the original, I was not let down. Probably in my Top 5 film sequels.

Have to agree with you. Director Edgar Wright was a huge fan of Walter Hills The Driver, (he interviewed Hill for Empire magazine) and i was really taken in by the hype but it turned out to be a big meh! for me.
    Was let down by Blade Runner sequel too so i probably have to go with Dunkirk, which i saw in 70 mm so it may not be as good on the small screen!
    All 3 of them are pretty darn good I think - especially for modern Hollywood.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Mark Felt (2017)
    X7qh4xM.jpg
    This film didn't get a release near me. Shame, because I was looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. It focuses on the story of Mark Felt (aka 'Deep Throat'), the FBI whistleblower who leaked information on the Watergate scandal to various journalists including Time magazine's Sandy Smith and The Washington Post's Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein.

Directed by Peter Landesman, who also wrote the screenplay, the film begins just as J. Edgar Hoover passes away in 1972 and concludes with Richard Nixon's resignation in 1973. The film shows how the 'by the book' Felt (who was assistant director at the time of Hoover's death), a deeply loyal servant to the institution of the FBI and what it stands for, is passed up for promotion by the White House. It further shows how attempts by the White House to infringe on FBI independence and stymie the investigation into Watergate lead Felt to reluctantly become a snitch. There is an overriding sense of paranoia which pervades the film, and Washington is portrayed as a town of self serving shady sharks. Hardly inspiring but perhaps not far from the truth.

Neeson is excellent (as expected) in the title role, and imbues the principled Felt with an integrity and nobility. Diane Lane also stands out in a small role as his unstable alcoholic wife. The film boasts an excellent supporting cast including Michael C. Hall, Tom Sizemore, Martin Csokas, Tony Goldwyn, Bruce Greenwood & Eddie Marsan. Unfortunately, despite all this notable star power, it's quite dull, with very little tension. One feels that the story would have benefited from a mini-series format rather than a feature film. The added time would have allowed important characters to be fleshed out and given the great cast something meaty to do while increasing the emotional stakes. They are mostly wasted here sadly.
  • I'll make sure to check out Wonder Wheel when it hits home video. I definitely enjoy Woody Allen when he's in good form.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,271
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) - for the first time. This is truly unique.

It was cool to see Charles Gray in this. Tim Curry is just all-too memorable here.