No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited November 2017 Posts: 12,271
    MR isn’t boring, but it ranks last for me in EON Bond films. It is interchangeable with DAD pretty much though. I honestly do not hate either; those two films simply have more about them that irk me than the other Bond films. To an extent, I get at least some enjoyment from every EON Bond flick.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I just can't get into MR. It's a real epic for sure and has some brilliant scenes but it just feels like a bit of a slog to get through to me because I find it so by the numbers. One of the only Bond films that I actually find boring.

?????

Its sheer entertainment. The film of the series where you really can see every penny up on the screen. A joyous romp.
    One of the only Bond films that I actually find boring.
    Now, that, my friend, is an oddity. :))

MR is many things, but boring is certainly not one of them.

I know, I know. I have tried don't get me wrong, I want to like it, there's a lot to like and obviously on a technical level it's unbelieveably impressive. It just doesn't have the same energy to it that TSWLM has imo. With that film it really feels like everyone is firing on all cylinders to make something great. With MR to they just seemed to say "lets just do what we did last time" and I think the film suffers for it. It's difficult to describe but it just all feels so safe and sedate and dull. It's probably just me to be fair rather than the film itself, but that's the vibe I get from watching it.

TSWLM is like watching someone own a grand prix, while MR is like watching a practise lap. Might have a faster time but it isn't the same. Probably a crap analogy but you see the point I'm trying to make.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    MR isn’t boring, but it ranks last for me in EON Bond films. It is interchangeable with DAD pretty much though. I honestly do not hate either; those two films simply have more about them that irk me than the other Bond films. To an extent, I get at least some enjoyment from every EON Bond flick.

Even though DAD isn't anywhere near as well made I actually prefer it to MR. DAD is stupid but the time always seems to fly by when I'm watching it. It's crap but it never fails to be entertaining.
  • GumboldGumbold Atlantis
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I'm just done with the current iteration and everything around him. I'll have to ride it out until 2022 or whenever. Long wait.

This is the kind of attitude that I can't stand. It's completely unwarranted, we know little about the direction of the next film and less about its quality

is it really unwarranted though?
  • Gumbold wrote: »
    I'm just done with the current iteration and everything around him. I'll have to ride it out until 2022 or whenever. Long wait.

This is the kind of attitude that I can't stand. It's completely unwarranted, we know little about the direction of the next film and less about its quality

Yeah the constant negativity policing on this thread is really getting tiring now. And to be honest even though I'm a lot more positive about the last film/current direction than him I completely understand why @bondjames feels like that. More than anything else, this era has just been a really long one, so people are bound to start to feel bored of it (I was hoping for a fresh start myself) and with the long gaps between films it makes any disappointments even bigger.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 832
    Gumbold wrote: »

Absolutely. People assume that there can't be a change of tone, or that a change would be too "contrived" just because craig is returning. I refer to for your eyes only, skyfall. Though the craig era has greater continuity, it can still be ignored just as before.

• Ottofuse8 wrote: »

Absolutely. People assume that there can't be a change of tone, or that a change would be too "contrived" just because craig is returning. I refer to for your eyes only, skyfall. Though the craig era has greater continuity, it can still be ignored just as before.

But the greater continuity makes them seem more incompetent when they do choose to ignore it. They commit to it one film then try to sweep it under the rug the next. This wasn't an issue with the old stand alone model because they basically had a fresh start every time, but when they go for a do over right after they tried to convince us that all the films were tied together it makes it seem more like they don't know what they're doing imo.
  • Ottofuse8 wrote: »

But the greater continuity makes them seem more incompetent when they do choose to ignore it. They commit to it one film then try to sweep it under the rug the next. This wasn't an issue with the old stand alone model because they basically had a fresh start every time, but when they go for a do over right after they tried to convince us that all the films were tied together it makes it seem more like they don't know what they're doing imo.

They already seem incompetent after spectre. I would prefer they have the liberty to take the next film wherever over being hindered by a completest attitude. Changing the actor is not necessary to change tone.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Got to see a 35 mm print of MR on the big screen a few years ago as part of a Bond marathon. In the cinema with an audience, it really does work. MR is a lot of fun.

I bet the boat chase right before Bond arrives at Drax's/the space finale look stunning in theaters.

It did. The print was quite scratchy, but the colors were still sharp. The space sequences looked great, too.
    Dennison wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Dennison wrote: »
    001 wrote: »
    According to The List, Daniel Craig has expressed a desire for Monica Bellucci to reprise her role as Lucia Sciarra, for his upcoming and final appearance as James Bond.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2017/10/17/monica-bellucci-should-return-to-the-james-bond-franchise/#2a094b4716cb

If true that suggests the script is still in an elementary stage.

If true? And it does happen? Do you really believe their will be no Blofeld at all?

I still think Waltz will be in it to be honest.

I have that sneaky feeling too for the sake of the Craig Bond continuity which they have now placed so much stock in tying the four films together.
    This is off-topic, but I had to post it here: it seems that back in 2015 we were even closer to getting a title song written & performed by Radiohead than we have ever thought before: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09clppp (Sam starts talking about Radiohead and Spectre at 52:30)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883

They already seem incompetent after spectre. I would prefer they have the liberty to take the next film wherever over being hindered by a completest attitude. Changing the actor is not necessary to change tone.
    Their lead actor has limitations as far as I'm concerned, which were painfully apparent for me on the last outing. I've already commented on it before so won't go into it here again, but it has to do with his ability to fit into certain tones. Moreover, as others and myself have noted, there is a continuity element here. We either buy into this narrative or we don't. Either s#!+ or get off the pot as it were. They doubled down on it with SP and now if he's back they should finish the story off (I actually thought they had finished it narratively at the end of SP). Otherwise move on and give us something completely new. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. You're of course entitled to your own.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

2006: he's not sent out by his government to kill anyone. Not even Le Chiffre.
    2012: he's not sent out to kill anyone.

2006: Dryden and possibly Fisher.
    2012: Patrice ('Terminate him for Ronson'. And Bond's 'With pleasure' response is hardly someone wrestling with the moral quandaries of killing).
    Yeah early on I steamrolled right past the obvious examples you called out (on my way to the book examples, I guess). Dryden and the guy in the men's room. Patrice.

To me it doesn't matter if he killed or not, there's a body of evidence it's in his job description to be an assassin. It's like the PPK and the Aston Martin DB5: not to be overused, but I like Bond being Bond and it's a part of him.
    All rests on how it's executed, if I can say that.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Personally I'm quite happy Dan is back for a fifth. It marks a return to the long term stability that characterised the much loved tenures of Sean and Rog.

I was really hoping this thread would get a refresh though. It's long overdue. Same old comments again and again - often without even the slightest hint of a Fleming influence. The continuity on here is getting beyond a joke. Is it really necessary to link every post directly to the previous one ad infinitum? The writing has gone down hill too - arguments full of holes and often barely coherent. Same old Scooby Gang day after day.

Fresh blood is needed. And some news!
    I am dreading Bond 26 more than Bond 25; I am worried about who the next Bond will be and what direction it will go in. I have enjoyed the Craig era a lot - second to the golden age.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @thelivingroyale ... MGW and Babs fell into the same trap with SP, that their father fell into after he made TSWLM and decided to forgo FYEO and make MR.. TSWLM was such a resounding success, he tried to his best to duplicate it in MR - and while the movie was a financial success, it wasn't so much critically, and overall with fans, which is why they shifted down in FYEO... i think the same thing happened with SP.. the producers were so swept up by SF's success, that they tried so hard (to a fault) to replicate it, and it just didn't work....

I've gone back and forth personally on maintaining the continuity for Bond 25... now that Dan is back for his 5th, and most likely last Bond film - i think it makes sense to keep it going, since they've gone above and beyond - even retconning aspects of SF and QOS to make all his films connect - that throwing that all out the window now seems stupid.. even if Swann doesn't return, Bond's girls never returned in the old films (sans Trench), so her disappearance doesn't really need to be addressed if they continue on.. But I wouldn't put it past them to end on a one off either... IMO, this is what happens when you try to fly by the seat of your pants and give in to impulse like EON did, and like they let their writers and directors do.. while i've enjoyed Craig's run immensely - this giant overarching story idea was botched horribly.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,271
    I’m feeling good about Bond 25. I think they will tone it down in scale a bit and do something one-off-ish since CR and SF were (mostly) and those ones thrived most for Craig. And if if does end up being EON’s final Bond film I’m sure they will do their best to make it a quality Bond film.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I’m feeling good about Bond 25. I think they will tone it down in scale a bit and do something one-off-ish since CR and SF were (mostly) and those ones thrived most for Craig. And if if does end up being EON’s final Bond film I’m sure they will do their best to make it a quality Bond film.

forgive me for being out of the loop here - it's been a while since i've been active on these boards... but this is the first i've heard of this?

since when has it been rumored that EON is going to sell their shares of Bond?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited November 2017 Posts: 16,331
    It being EON's final Bond film is pure fan speculation.
    It was confirmed by Barbara Broccoli when she announced Angelina Jolie would be the next Bond girl.
    HASEROT wrote: »

forgive me for being out of the loop here - it's been a while since i've been active on these boards... but this is the first i've heard of this?

since when has it been rumored that EON is going to sell their shares of Bond?

Some rumor a while back I remember reading.
    hmmm... if thats true - then damn...... but i'll take it with a grain of salt, i know EON is keen to do more films, not just Bond - but I wouldn't picture them selling away their meal ticket... even if the price tag is high - it's the gift that keeps on giving, and it's something you pass on to the next generation... unless of course, Greg or whoever has no interest in making the movies... in that case, they can adopt me - who cares if i am 33.. my family would understand lol.

The continuity of the Craig era is a joke. There was in effect more continuity during any of the other eras.

• When I'm visiting these pages, I'm often amazed at how opinions have changed over the years. Back in the eighties, Moonraker was seen as the anti-Bond. The exact nadir of the whole franchise, and the point where 'it all went wrong'. If we'd have had SPECTRE back in 1985, we'd have been amazed, and put the bunting out.
    These days, Moonraker is a masterpiece, I'm reading. How did it ever get so?
    Fleming might not have liked SPECTRE, but I'm betting he'd have liked Moonraker a lot less. Not least because there was a pretty good book behind that movie that was all but ignored.
    Another Moonraker is not what I'd want for Bond 25, to be honest.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    When I'm visiting these pages, I'm often amazed at how opinions have changed over the years. Back in the eighties, Moonraker was seen as the anti-Bond. The exact nadir of the whole franchise, and the point where 'it all went wrong'. If we'd have had SPECTRE back in 1985, we'd have been amazed, and put the bunting out.
    Fleming might not have liked SPECTRE, but I'm betting he'd have liked Moonraker a lot less. Not least because there was a pretty good book behind that movie that was all but ignored.

It's a pendulum swing. Throughout the series the films have swung from the serious thriller to the fantastical, the camp and the ridiculous. After DAD people were ready for a harder hitting serious thriller a la CR. I'm getting a sense of people tiring of the Craig mould of Bond film - hence the reappraisal of the more 'fun' type of Bond film. Which might go someway to explaining why SP has some Roger Moore esque elements in it.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited November 2017 Posts: 732
    And Daniel Craig is an awesome James Bond ... but definitely no Roger Moore. Nobody could've carried Moore's Bond movies his way but they tried to some extent in SP and at the same time attempted to reproduce SF ... crazy idea. Use Craig's strengths in B25 in a toned-down adventure and start fresh with B26 and if the Zeitgeist is ready again for the campy Bond go into that direction (even I see that area is taken by Kingsmen already these days).
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Personally I'm quite happy Dan is back for a fifth. It marks a return to the long term stability that characterised the much loved tenures of Sean and Rog.

Same here @Getafix :-). I'm greatly looking forward to the 5th Bond outing of Mr Craig.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,425
    shamanimal wrote: »
    When I'm visiting these pages, I'm often amazed at how opinions have changed over the years. Back in the eighties, Moonraker was seen as the anti-Bond. The exact nadir of the whole franchise, and the point where 'it all went wrong'. If we'd have had SPECTRE back in 1985, we'd have been amazed, and put the bunting out.

Ho ho ho. There's nowt as queer as folk and this site attracts more than a few contrarians. If you think the reappraisal of MR is far fetched, look out for those claiming that DAD is an underappreciated gem in which Brosnan finally hits the dramatic heights.

There's plenty of total bunkum posted on here on a daily basis.

What's obvious though is that people get wound up by radically different things. I agree with you that compared to a lot of the garbage EON has served up over the past 25 years SP is actually a moderately decent entry, but there are those on here who can never overlook or forgive Brofeldgate or the other myriad crimes which SP allegedly commits.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,138
    Here is an idea, there is a time window between QOS to Skyfall. In which Craig's Bond could be on a solo mission not attached to the other side story. Even leaves door open for M Dame Judi to return, as she would would not yet have met her fate.
  • GumboldGumbold Atlantis
    edited November 2017 Posts: 118

I think we're just gonna have to ride this Marvel Bond era out. Thankfully we're in the home stretch. I doubt there will be any changes with Bond 25
  • Getafix wrote: »
    What's obvious though is that people get wound up by radically different things. I agree with you that compared to a lot of the garbage EON has served up over the past 25 years SP is actually a moderately decent entry, but there are those on here who can never overlook or forgive Brofeldgate or the other myriad crimes which SP allegedly commits.

I find the moaning about SPECTRE as baffling as the praise heaped on Moonraker. But I'm an older fan whose first Bond flick was Live and Let Die. I've seen the trends change. I remember Raymond Benson hailing Licence to Kill as "the best Bond film since Thunderball", the Moore era was so frowned upon!

But really, this thread is about which direction to go in. And if we're talking about humour versus realism, I'd say SPECTRE struck the right balance. Stylistically, SPECTRE was pretty much spot-on in its tone. The jokes didn't compromise the danger. It just lacked a meaty story that would elevate it from a middling Bond yarn, to a classic Bond flick.