The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    Happy birthday 007!

I haven't read through this thread, so guess that they've already been mentioned, but I have quite a few SC films which are among my favourite movies.;

The Man Who Would Be King
    The Offence
    The Anderson Tapes
    The Molly Maguires

I even liked him in Shalako!

As for his pre stardom days, one film in which he features is a firm favourite of mine 'Hell Drivers'.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Glad to see someone else loves The Molly Maguires. It isn't a film that crops up much amongst the Connery fans' favourite films, but I always liked it.

However I think it takes a real fan to love Shalako (despite Bardot) ;)
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Happy birthday to the greatest 007!

@stag - The Man Who Would Be King is truly one of the greats.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Happy Birthday 007!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Happy Birthday to the greatest James Bond ever, the legendary Sir Sean Connery!!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Happy birthday, Sean. My hero. My Bond. A true legend.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    @NicNac, I must be a true SC fan! In fact I watched Shalako only a couple of months back. It's corny but SC shows flashes of his Bond side during the fight scenes.

@ForYourEyesOnly, yep its a great film.

To celebrate SCs birthday, I'll be watching Dr No tomorrow.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Happy 87th, Your Majesty!
    170px-Sean_Connery_1964.png
  • NSGWNSGW London
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4835396/Sean-Connery-James-Bond-rare-appearance-Open.html

The man is still looking good. Would be great to see the footage of this moment if anyone knows how to find it?
    Best I've seen him looking in a long time
    Really nice. Thanks.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,896
    Let's face it, no one on this board will look that good at age 87.
    Oh, and props to the Mail for including a photo from Zardoz. "His greatest costume" indeed. Repeat after me everyone: THE GUN IS GOOD. THE PENIS IS EVIL.
    He does look good, Dashing and dapper in that navy blazer.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »

Superb! That is great to see!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Get that camera outta my fashe!
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Just found this nice little factfile about Sir Sean and his birthday :

Sean Connery Turns 85 Today... 85 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About ‘The First And Best(?) James Bond’.

Sean Connery turns 85 today.

The bodybuilder turned actor has, at various times, earned the tags of ‘Greatest Living Scot’ and ‘Scotland’s Greatest Living National Treasure’. At the age of 59 in 1989, People Magazine made him their ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ and ten years later, he was voted ‘Sexiest Man of the Century’.

So far, so beefcake. But there’s always been more to this gentleman as quick with his words as with his fists... to mark his special birthday, we bring you 85 surprise facts about the man born to play Bond, but who has always had a complicated relationship with his alter ego of seven films, once saying of 007, “I’d like to kill him.”

Sean Connery has 92 actor credits, 9 producer credits and one director credit

Connery was born in Fountainbridge in Scotland, and since then has created his own film production company that shares a name with his place of birth, Fountainbridge Films

Born Thomas Sean Connery, he later decided to go by Shane Connery which eventually evolved into the legendary name Sean Connery

When he was born his parents could not afford a cot for him and so he was placed in the bottom drawer of their bedroom wardrobe

His mother was a laundress and his father was a lorry driver and factory worker

As a child he would fish in the Union Canal using his mum’s old nylon stockings

Connery came from a very under-privileged background, but he never seemed to let that faze him

Sean dropped out of school at the age of 13 and went on to have an array of jobs including delivering milk by horse and cart, working at a butcher’s shop and an evening paper round

Sean Connery resumed his education when he began to struggle with his finances, saying he would rather have had a grasp on it all than let someone else do it all for him

He served in the Royal Navy from 1947 – 1950

Whilst in the Navy he decided to get two tattoos on his arms; one that says ‘Scotland Forever’ and the other ‘Mum and Dad’

Sean had to leave the Royal Navy due to being diagnosed with painful stomach ulcers

After the Navy he took on odd-jobs: polishing coffins, delivering coal, working in the machine room of a newspaper, posing nude for art students and even a brief stint as a lifeguard

Much later, he co-founded the Scottish International Education Trust, which provides grants to Scottish students

Connery donated all of the money made from ‘Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves’ to charity and when he was offered a huge sum to return as James Bond for ‘Diamonds Are Forever’ Connery decided to donate all his earnings to his Scottish charity

Connery, at nearly 60 years of age, was voted People Magazine’s ‘Sexiest Man Alive’

In 1999 he was voted ‘Sexiest Man of the Century’ by People magazine (they clearly couldn’t get enough of him)

In 1995 Connery was ranked at number 7 in Empire magazine’s 100 sexiest stars in film history (this man is extremely popular with the ladies)

He was ranked first amongst the Male British movie actors in the Orange Film Survey

He was voted the 24th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly

He was voted Best British Actor of all time in a 2005 poll for Sky TV

His performance as James Bond in the 007 films is ranked number 5 on Premiere magazine’s 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time

On the down side, a poll by Empire magazine found that he created the worst accent in the history of cinema in ‘The Untouchables’

Back in the day - 1953 - Sean entered the Mr. Universe contest, finishing third in the tall man’s division

It was whilst entering the Mr Universe competition in 1953 in London that Connery’s career started to shape itself; he learned that there were parts available in the chorus line for South Pacific at the Drury Lane Theatre and decided to perform on stage

Whilst filming ‘Another Time, Another Place’ (his first major film) Connery was held at gunpoint by his co-star Lana Turner’s jealous boyfriend, Johnny Stompanato, who was believed to be part of the Mafia

Sean Connery went into hiding after receiving a note from Micky Cohen, friend of Stompanato, saying “Get out of town or a contract will put on your life”

He suffered another near-death experience whilst filming From Russia with Love due to an inexperienced helicopter pilot flying in too close and almost decapitating him

Connery turned down a breakthrough role in ‘El Cid’ to be near his wife, Diane Cilento after she contracted tuberculosis, but in fact this was a blessing in disguise as 20th Century Fox offered him several Hollywood film contracts which eventually ended with him becoming Bond

Connery and his first wife, Diane Cilento, would climb into a coffin lined with zinc every morning claiming that it helped concentrate their energies

Ian Fleming, the author of James Bond, did not originally believe that Sean was best suited to the role of James Bond as he seemed too ‘unrefined’, however he then admitted that Connery was ‘ideally cast in the role’

Connery snagged the role of James Bond due not to his actual audition but when those that auditioned him watched him leave the room - his sexually charged ‘panther-like’ strut landed him the role of a lifetime

He was the very first James Bond, Agent 007, and played him for five consecutive films in the series

Prior to filming his first Bond film, ‘Dr No’, the director (Terence Young) wanted to get Connery less rugged and more suave; therefore he bought Connery an expensive, tailored suit and spent a whole week gambling, drinking and partying with him

He wore a toupee in all his James Bond movies as he started to lose his hair at the age of 21

Connery believed that Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig were both good fits for the role of James Bond, whilst he wasn’t Timothy Dalton’s biggest fan

Of the six actors who have played Bond so far Connery is the only one who has actually served in the Navy just like James Bond did

The reason he resigned from being James Bond was because he was fed up with all the special effects, the repetitive plot line and the public’s ever growing obsession

His favourite Bond film is 1963’s ‘From Russia With Love’

The film that helped Connery to break away from the James Bond mould was 1975’s ‘The Man Who Would Be King’

Connery has been swapping lawsuits for years with Dr Sultan who owns the bottom four floors of the building Connery lives in - Dr Sultan claimed that Connery was trying to force him out of the building with loud music and noisy renovations

Money is one of the biggest driving forces in Connery’s life and is the reason for some of the fall-outs he has had with some powerful people in the industry

Connery dated the ex-Labour Party leader Michael Foot’s daughter for a short period of time

Connery shares a birthday with the likes of Tim Burton, Billy Ray Cyrus, Claudia Schiffer and Blake Lively

He is a major contributor to the Scottish National Party (SNP)

Connery refuses to return to Scotland until it has become independent, which he believes could happen in his lifetime still

The Labour government blocked Connery’s knighthood twice due to his affiliation with the Scottish National Party but he was eventually awarded it in 2000 by Queen Elizabeth II

Connery states that if there was one film that would pull him out of retirement it would be an Indiana Jones film, however, retirement is too much fun at the moment for him to be thinking about work

He used to live in Marbella, Spain, next to a golf course that he frequented daily when he wasn’t working, but due to long-lasting issues with the press he moved to the Bahamas

Both Sean and his son Jason Connery have played Robin Hood,
    Jason then went on to play Ian Fleming in 1990’s ‘The Secret Life of Ian Fleming’

He was offered the chance to play for Manchester United but turned it down as it
    seemed even more ‘precarious a career’

Connery supports Celtic Football club

Steven Seagal broke Connery’s wrist during a martial arts lesson for 1983’s ‘Never Say Never Again’

Several films feature characters doing impressions of Sean Connery: Mel Gibson in ‘What Women Want’, Ewan McGregor and Jonny Lee Miller in ‘Trainspotting’, Leonardo DiCaprio in ‘Catch Me If You Can’, Peta Wilson in ‘The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen’, Tom Hanks in ‘Bachelor Party’, Robin Williams in ‘Mrs. Doubtfire’… the list goes on...

He won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as a Chicago cop in 1987’s ‘The Untouchables’

In 1998 he received a Tony Award for co-producing the play ‘Art’ by Yasmina Reza
    Connery was the recipient of 22nd Annual Kennedy Centre Honours for lifetime contribution to arts and culture, presented by President Bill Clinton in Washington, D.C. on December 5, 1999

He received the American Film Institute’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006

Connery is the only James Bond actor to have won Oscar

The Oscar he won for ‘The Untouchables’ resides with his son in New York

He is the last surviving cast member from 1959’s ‘Darby O’Gill and the Little People’

He took dancing lessons for 11 years and his teacher was Swedish dancer Yat Malmgren

Co-star Tippi Hedren named one of her cats after Sean Connery - that’s how much she loved him

Connery’s original idol was Welsh actor Stanley Baker because he played believable tough guys in quality British movies which he produced himself

He played Dustin Hoffman’s father in 1986’s ‘Family Business’ even though he is only seven years his senior – there are brothers and sisters who have bigger age gaps!

He met his second wife Micheline Roquenbrune at a golf tournament in Morocco where he won the men’s award and she the women’s

He was once papped whilst using a urinal

He is an enthusiastic poet, however he does not let anyone view his work

Connery underwent surgery to remove a tumour from his kidney in 2006

As well as the tumour in his kidney he also underwent radiation therapy earlier in his life for an undisclosed throat ailment

One of his biggest regrets is turning down the lead role in ‘The Thomas Crown Affair’ which, when it was remade, had Pierce Brosnan acting out the main role. At least one Bond managed to make it into the film…

He was considered for the role of Captain Von Trapp in 1965’s ‘The Sound of Music’

The role of the King of the Moon in 1988’s ‘The Adventures of Baron Muchhausen’ was intended for Sean Connery until the role was largely cut. Connery didn’t think it was good enough, and the role was played by Robin Williams

After Terry Gilliam wrote that the part of King Agamemnon in ‘Time Bandits’ would look “exactly like Sean Connery”, Sean found out and asked to be in the film

He turned down $5.5m to play Bond in ‘Live And Let Die’

He turned down the opportunity to play Gandalf in ‘Lord of the Rings’ because he didn’t want to film in Australia for a prolonged amount of time

Alongside being asked to play Gandalf he was also offered 15% of the box office takings as well – which ended up being nearly 450 million dollars

Apparently he still has no regrets on turning down the role as he doesn’t get the films, the script, or the books

He also turned down ‘The Matrix’ (twice) because he didn’t understand it

Steven Spielberg once said: “There are seven genuine movie stars in the world today and Sean is one of them”

Connery, ironically, was once stopped for speeding by an officer named Sergeant James Bond

In America Connery’s first role was as a porter in an episode of ‘The Jack Benny Show’

Connery has worked alongside the likes of Sir Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer, Sir
    Laurence Olivier, Lauren Bacall, Vanessa Redgrave and Lord Richard Attenborough

Sean Connery turns 85 today, with Movies4Men are dedicating an entire evening to the great man.

I didn't know Seagal accidently broke Connery's wrist during NSNA.
    Quite a bit there I didn't know.
    Posted before, but well worth a rewatch
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Sean Connery gambling against Largo in TB, is like the cool guy stealing your girlfriend right in front of your eyes.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,425
    stag wrote: »
    Happy birthday 007!

I haven't read through this thread, so guess that they've already been mentioned, but I have quite a few SC films which are among my favourite movies.;

The Offence
    The Anderson Tapes
    The Molly Maguires

As for his pre stardom days, one film in which he features is a firm favourite of mine 'Hell Drivers'.

Hell Drivers is excellent. Connery, Stanley Baker, Herbert Lom, Patrick McGoohan and Sid James - what's not to like?! Stanley Baker always reminds a little of Connery as well.

Have you seen The Hill? A classic Connery film. One of his best.

Marnie is always a disappointment for me. I want it to be great but can't help see the flaws. Connery seems to be flailing around hopelessly, and the plot has aged appallingly. I guess Hitch has to take some of the blame - I think he was used to working with actors he could simply trust to get on with it and Connery still needed firmer direction at that point.
  • great bond, ok actor but damn did he age fast, he looks like he's gonna dropdead anyday, wouldn't surprise me, kirk douglas is 101 and looks better.
    Rasputin wrote: »
    kirk douglas is 101 and looks better.

Um, no.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Rasputin wrote: »
    great bond, ok actor but damn did he age fast, he looks like he's gonna dropdead anyday, wouldn't surprise me, kirk douglas is 101 and looks better.
    Morbid.
    Connery looks frail but could definitely look far worse at his age.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Getafix wrote: »
    Happy birthday 007!

The Offence
    The Anderson Tapes
    The Molly Maguires

Hell Drivers is excellent. Connery, Stanley Baker, Herbert Lom, Patrick McGoohan and Sid James - what's not to like?! Stanley Baker always reminds a little of Connery as well.

Marnie is always a disappointment for me. I want it to be great but can't help see the flaws. Connery seems to be flailing around hopelessly, and the plot has aged appallingly. I guess Hitch has to take some of the blame - I think he was used to working with actors he could simply trust to get on with it and Connery still needed firmer direction at that point.

The Hill is fantastic. Harrowing film. I haven't watched Marnie in years; need to revisit it. All in all, I believe I've seen 21 Connery films. Can't say the same for anyone else.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 45,489
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Happy birthday 007!

The Offence
    The Anderson Tapes
    The Molly Maguires

The Hill is fantastic. Harrowing film. I haven't watched Marnie in years; need to revisit it. All in all, I believe I've seen 21 Connery films. Can't say the same for anyone else.

I just counted, and I have seen 27 I believe. I can t say that for any other Bond either. Not even close.

It s probably a few more. I know I have forgotten some.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think my favourite non-Bond Connery film is Woman of Straw. For those who haven't seen it, I can't recommend it enough, although it's very hard to come by.
    My fav non-Bond SC film is probably THE NAME OF THE ROSE.
    So what would an Essential Connery list look like? My selection:

An Age of Kings (1960)
    Woman of Straw (1964)
    Marnie (1964)
    The Hill (1965)
    The Offence (1973)
    Zardoz (1974)
    The Wind and the Lion (1975)
    The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
    Robin and Marian (1976)
    Time Bandits (1981)
    The Untouchables (1987)
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
    The Hunt for Red October (1990)
    The Russia House (1990)
    The Rock (1996)

Some of the films are not masterpieces (The Rock) but feature an especially striking performance by Connery. Other films are practically insane (Zardoz) but memorable for that very reason. As for Connery's very best performances on film, in three of his very best films, I would choose The Offence, The Man Who Would Be King, and Robin and Marian. I don't think it's possible to watch those and not realize what a superb actor Sean Connery is.