The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    NicNac wrote: »
    That s sick. I remember Robert Smith was pronounced dead back in 1987 as well.
    I'm not convinced that isn't true, to be fair.

Paul McCartney in 1969 was the most famous.
    At the time no one had heard from him for some time, and fans were reading hidden messages in the records - John Lennon in Glass Onion sang 'Here's another clue for you all. The walrus is Paul'. Somehow they decided that meant Paul was dead.
    So they saw other clues on album covers and it all seemed mightily convincing, until a bemused and unaware Paul emerged from his Scottish farm hideaway and told everyone that he wasn't dead, as far as he knew.

Yes, I believe it's theorized that he died in a car crash on Wednesday (based on clues in songs) and was replaced by a lookalike from '69 on so that his career and legend could continue. Or something like that...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Not just a lookalike but a sound-alike, play-alike and write-alike as well ;)
    The appreciation threads have had a slight change of title. Feedback welcome, Changes can be made if you feel this is too long.

In the mean time Sean, having drunk from the fountain of youth...

VHfunny-Sean-Connery-before-after1.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yeah, there was a good thirty year there stretch starting around the early to mid-70s where Sean just kind of stopped aging. Kind of freaky, really, but if anyone could pull it off, it'd be him.
    NicNac wrote: »
    The appreciation threads have had a slight change of title. Feedback welcome, Changes can be made if you feel this is too long.

In the mean time Sean, having drunk from the fountain of youth...

VHfunny-Sean-Connery-before-after1.jpg

Looks fine to me Nackers,makes them stand out and be noticed more..bravo !

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I wish Connery never lost his 1962-1963 look. I'd kill to get that look for myself! :))
    I wish Connery never lost his 1962-1963 look. I'd kill to get that look for myself! :))

I don't think anything comes close to how he looked in 1964 for GF. I've never seen a handsomer or more alluring man in my life, cross my heart.
    For me it was his Thunderball look. Not the PTS, but later at Shrublands.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I myself prefer the Dr. No/From Russia With Love Sean Connery, as well as the one in Woman of Straw. He was at his best in these three. Imagine that Connery played Thomas Crown as originally offered before McQueen.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 19,339
    This is getting a bit 'friendly' about Sean ......ooer....
    The MI6 man-crush thread needs creating he he ;)
    barryt007 wrote: »

I am unapologetic about it. Sean has been and always will be my "man-crush."
    barryt007 wrote: »

I think we should just go to the appropriate Appreciation threads and begin a sentence with
    ' My man crush is (name) because (reason).

:-O
  • Hard to believe that this is Connery in The Red Tent, a whopping 49 years ago!

18a004683e0c9309c2f3dcced15112a3.jpg
  • Hard to believe that this is Connery in The Red Tent, a whopping 49 years ago!

With the gorgeous Claudia Cardinale, not familiar with this.

Claudia Cardinale would have been a great Bond girl, IMO.
  • Agreed Claudia was amazing in Once upon a time in the west and The Pink Panther
  • For me, those early Bond films, FRWL, GF, TB are just magnificent. Connery at his coolest.
  • Connery was amazing in some of his non-bond films too, he has by far the best career of all bonds! Zardoz was hilarious!
    Hard to believe that this is Connery in The Red Tent, a whopping 49 years ago!

With the gorgeous Claudia Cardinale, not familiar with this.

Wow, haven't seen this one
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have to go with FRWL as Connery's peak. Not just in his look, but he still had a lethal edge to him, that edge wasn't there in GF, TB, YOLT and certainly not in DAF
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have to go with FRWL as Connery's peak. Not just in his look, but he still had a lethal edge to him, that edge wasn't there in GF, TB, YOLT and certainly not in DAF

I'd mostly agree with that Major, Connery peaked as Bond with FRWL with his lethal, killer edge. However there were still traces of it I feel in TB.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Benny wrote: »

I'd mostly agree with that Major, Connery peaked as Bond with FRWL with his lethal, killer edge. However there were still traces of it I feel in TB.
    I agree. Young got the best out of Connery imho. Even though he lightened it up considerably in TB (perhaps in response to GF's outsize success) there was still that edge. Personally, I think TB is his peak (because it's a welcome combination of the GF & FRWL personas) with FRWL a close second, although I prefer the earlier film.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I also think he peaked with TB. To me he played off all of his strengths there.
    I think in FRWL and TB Sean's Bond is scheming and breaking up the villain's plans as only a maverick could, it's just that he's far more earnest about it in the former. In TB, however, he almost gets off on facing the baddies, and giddily walks away from the problems he's caused with the likes of Lippe, the SPECTRE clinic agents, and Fiona, the latter of which he really gets a kick out of.

Even still, when the chips are down and Bond is facing death while in that car with Fiona and the gunmen, Sean gives one of his defining bits of performances as 007 tries to escape and defeats Fiona on the dance floor. The fear and drama of the moment is unquantifiable. An all-time great moment, that.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    I think in FRWL and TB Sean's Bond is scheming and breaking up the villain's plans as only a maverick could, it's just that he's far more earnest about it in the former. In TB, however, he almost gets off on facing the baddies, and giddily walks away from the problems he's caused with the likes of Lippe, the SPECTRE clinic agents, and Fiona, the latter of which he really gets a kick out of.

Even still, when the chips are down and Bond is facing death while in that car with Fiona and the gunmen, Sean gives one of his defining bits of performances as 007 tries to escape and defeats Fiona on the dance floor. The fear and drama of the moment is unquantifiable. An all-time great moment, that.

One of my favourite scenes of the whole series.
  • I think in FRWL and TB Sean's Bond is scheming and breaking up the villain's plans as only a maverick could, it's just that he's far more earnest about it in the former. In TB, however, he almost gets off on facing the baddies, and giddily walks away from the problems he's caused with the likes of Lippe, the SPECTRE clinic agents, and Fiona, the latter of which he really gets a kick out of.

He also got quite a fright in the shark pool!

• Thunderball is the apex of Connery for me as well, though I still enjoy YOLT.
    TB was pretty amazing to me as a kid. Love that movie.

He also got quite a fright in the shark pool!

It's all the crazier when you realize Sean nearly got munched on himself!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Just seen this from the always excellent British Film Institute; new to me.

Sean Connery's Edinburgh - a short film from 1982 promoting tourism:

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-sean-connerys-edinburgh-1982/
    Good find.