The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Connery's acting was just so effortless. As someone compared it to Dalton in this thread - Connery never overacted, and his acting was never forced. He's also classier than Dalton.
    Sean Connery was the best Bond :D
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Mazouni wrote: »

Well it's all a matter of opinion. It just so happens your opinion is perfectly correct.
    NicNac wrote: »

Well it's all a matter of opinion. It just so happens your opinion is perfectly correct.

Nah, Daniel Craig is the best Bond.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »

Nah, Daniel Craig is the best Bond.

Well, I'm a Dan man too, so I'm ok with that as well. :)>-
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Kevin Costner was on TV a few weeks ago. He was asked to chose the best actor he ever worked with. He said he couldn't possibly answer, however he then said that he knew for sure that the biggest star he worked with was Sean Connery.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Connery is "The Man !" ^:)^
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    +1. A legend that even Hollywood correctly bows before. Only John Wayne or Clark Gable could probably take him on in the macho stakes and even then it would be close.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    +1. A legend that even Hollywood correctly bows before. Only John Wayne or Clark Gable could probably take him on in the macho stakes and even then it would be close.

And Clint Eastwood. But that s it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

You're right of course. How could I have forgotten Clint.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

116669386-sean-connery-with-clint-eastwood-and-george-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=lGnjDs01aeQKqjld9R%2FRac6bNXhpe3XsWsl0roS%2Fu4bdhe7lPazFYAP5PlmEc%2BilVrV9CNYO0tid6iyXcMvfgkacosldzUyDCgB3mlqv9Gc%3D
    Here they are. They must have made a joke out of something and are laughing about it. I think Eastwood and Connery are equally as macho. Only Eastwood is angrier.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Sean Connery apart from being a great Bond( my second favorite) he was the sexiest actor of his generation.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Szonana wrote: »
    Sean Connery apart from being a great Bond( my second favorite) he was the sexiest actor of his generation.

From what I have heard from womanhood, only George Clooney comes close.

And me.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Szonana wrote: »

From what I have heard from womanhood, only George Clooney comes close.

And me.

Well i said of his generation hehe, of all time that title ( sexiest actor of all time) in my personal opinion belongs to Pierce Brosnan though Sean definitely is still in my top 10.

116669386-sean-connery-with-clint-eastwood-and-george-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=lGnjDs01aeQKqjld9R%2FRac6bNXhpe3XsWsl0roS%2Fu4bdhe7lPazFYAP5PlmEc%2BilVrV9CNYO0tid6iyXcMvfgkacosldzUyDCgB3mlqv9Gc%3D
    Here they are. They must have made a joke out of something and are laughing about it. I think Eastwood and Connery are equally as macho. Only Eastwood is angrier.

I think that Eastwood is the more talented actor and director, I believe that Connery at one point decided that he wanted to enjoy live and let his movies foot the bill. Eastwood has collected a brilliant oeuvre as actor and director. And his Cowboy without a name is as iconic as 007. Only his role was never continued.
    SaintMark wrote: »

I think that Eastwood is the more talented actor and director, I believe that Connery at one point decided that he wanted to enjoy live and let his movies foot the bill. Eastwood has collected a brilliant oeuvre as actor and director. And his Cowboy without a name is as iconic as 007. Only his role was never continued.
    Film-wise? It didn't. But, since 2007, several comic books are being published. They started life as The Man With No Name (named after the eponymous character), and later became The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (nothing to do with the film of the same name).

And I definitely agree that Eastwood is a better actor than Connery. Although, I do wish they did a film together like 35-40 years ago.
    SaintMark wrote: »

Film-wise? It didn't. But, since 2007, several comic books are being published. They started life as The Man With No Name (named after the eponymous character), and later became The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (nothing to do with the film of the same name).

And I definitely agree that Eastwood is a better actor than Connery. Although, I do wish they did a film together like 35-40 years ago.

True that would have been amazing, but we will have to do with Where Eagles Dare where Burton plays a brilliant ice cold English spy. He does do a very strong British Spy.

Connery is a GOD!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I definitely agree that Eastwood is a better actor than Connery.
    Shocking. Positively shocking.
    [-(
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited May 2016 Posts: 7,964
    I don't know if this recollection is accurate but I seem to remember hearing that Connery was considered for Space Cowboys; I would have preferred a drama or action film two decades earlier but this would have been fun. I think he would have been good in the Tommy Lee Jones role.

I found this on IMDB "Originally Sean Connery was supposed to play Jerry O'Neil and Jack Nicholson was supposed to play Tank Sullivan.

Connery would have had the Sutherland role.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I think Clint was a better actor, but also I think Clint was a lot cooler than Connery in a rugged kind of way. Connery was classy and sophisticated in his own right, but Clint has the edge.

edited May 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I think Clint was a better actor, but also I think Clint was a lot cooler than Connery in a rugged kind of way. Connery was classy and sophisticated in his own right, but Clint has the edge.
    Agreed. Connery would deal with the upper-class villains, while Eastwood would keep the streets clean and annihilate every mob that terrorizes the regular public.
    I don't think any is Better than another, simply different. ;)
    I don't think any is Better than another, simply different. ;)
    The way I comprehend Connery is that... he's only a leading man with machismo that is convincing in its behaviour, which isn't a bad thing, at all. Eastwood, though, really acts.
    I have enjoyed the acting of both actors over many years :)
    So did I. :D
    Only real macho man of later generations is another Sean. Penn.
    I always thought that Eastwood was a bit...meh. A reedy voice, Stan Laurel haircut and facial expressions that made Charles Bronson look as animated as Mr Bean.

In my eyes Connery is one of the greatest of all film actors (it is an art that is like no other in the acting world). And he fills the screen in a way that few male actors have. And I'm talking about the likes of Brando and Nicholson.

I don't see it with Eastwood.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 337
    Actually, while both were great, I have Connery above Eastwood. He handled a greater variety of roles and can express more emotions :))
    I hardly see any emotion out of Connery.