The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

He might not be beyond criticism, but I am assuming (perhaps I'm wrong) that far more people regard him as the best than any of the other actors. Not that some people don't think Brosnan or Craig were the best - just that more people thing Connery was. So generally speaking, he's almost less interesting. He was just so good, there isn't that much to say.
    Is Connery in the news anymore? I thought he was living out his days in his tax exile in Spain and/or bahamas. Still my 2nd favourite Bond though.
    I'd say Connery at his peak hasn't yet been topped.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Personally, I think Connery owes more to the films than the other way around. As has been said, maybe it's one of those 'you have to have been the at the time' instances. My dad went to see the 60's films in the cinema, and I know which Bond he would choose.
    FRWL was his peak, he had a slickness that wasn't there before, but he still had that killer edge that was lacking in the following films (though YOLT still has a special place in my heart which no other film in the series has).

If FRWL is his peak, then DAF is his trough. He looked like a 60-something, burned out, Vegas car dealer called Crazy Bob. It's shocking to think that he was only 40/41.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'd say Connery at his peak hasn't yet been topped.

Difficult to see how he ever will be really. You can never recreate the magic of those early movies. The era, the glamour and his unreconstructed masculinity will never be matched.

It's a shame DAF didn't embrace his being older in a more interesting way. It has some decent scenes but is otherwise a lame ending to an amazing series of movies. Thinking how he looked in DAF I am quite glad he was not in OHMSS. Laz's youthfulness and optimism seems more appropriate for that film.
    Watch DAF straight after DN. The difference is even more astonishing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Getafix wrote:
    He might not be beyond criticism, but I am assuming (perhaps I'm wrong) that far more people regard him as the best than any of the other actors. Not that some people don't think Brosnan or Craig were the best - just that more people thing Connery was. So generally speaking, he's almost less interesting. He was just so good, there isn't that much to say.

Agree, there is a reason why he always ranks as no. 1, however much many disagree.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Is Connery in the news anymore? I thought he was living out his days in his tax exile in Spain and/or bahamas. Still my 2nd favourite Bond though.

Yes, difficult to fulfil the 'news' part of this thread when we only have rumours about him coming out of retirement (which he won't).
  • I think Sean Connery was just as iconic in Thunderball as in his previous three Bond films, but he had less screen time due to the sheer spectacle that Thunderball became. The focus was on the size of the film and not so much on Connery as the first three films surely were. I never thought he looked bored in Thunderball, in fact he seemed to be having a great time and looked even more confident than ever before.

I also believe Connery get's a bad rap for looking older in DAF. That is mainly because of his added weight gain and not so much because of an older appearance. He was only forty when DAF was being filmed...hardly what I would consider to be an old man. What is interesting is that he looks younger in films he made after DAF. The reason being he's in better all around shape (his loss of weight.)

Connery's 1981 space adventure OUTLAND (a full 10 years after DAF) is a good example of his better looking appearance mainly because he's in great physical condition, something he was not in when he did DAF.

A previous member stated that if you watch DR. NO and then DAF back to back you will see a difference (referring to Connery's age.) Well, it's a nine to ten year difference, your bound to see some change. That's just nature taking it's course. I maintain the difference is mostly in his significant weight gain and really has far less to do with his age.
    I do agree with that. And I thought he was magnificent in TB.
    And I never buy in to the argument that he looked bored in YOLT. Once upon a time someone used this argument in a book and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

He didn't. The film's pace and spectacle simply left Connery's laid back, sardonic style behind a little. Connery himself was just as cool, just as charismatic as ever.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27665619

I appreciate that @WilyGalore has posted this elsewhere, but worth adding it to Sean's own thread.

it's amusing to note they struggled to get Sean to lose his Scottish accent.
  • Connery is easily the best Bond. Sadly he has finished making films.
    I watched The Untouchables again the other night. Very enjoyable with Connery giving the best performance in the film (not sure it was Oscar worthy though).

Guess what my least favourite part was? :((
    God hits his wife and wants Scottish independance ?! :-O
    I heard a good joke the other day:

"Sean was taken to hospital after a book hit him on the head

When asked about it later he responded: "I can only blame my shelf".
    barryt007 wrote: »
    God hits his wife and wants Scottish independance ?! :-O
    I wonder what God's view is on Scottish independence? And if Connery is God surely he can make it so?

More pressing, if Scotland gains independence will Sean put his money where his mouth is and move back to Scotland as he said he would?

Willy Eckerslike!

He'll be buried in Scotland, probably.

Really hoping Scotland votes for independence. They will do very well on their own, and it will force the English to confront a lot of their own issues.
    Getafix wrote: »

Really hoping Scotland votes for independence. They will do very well on their own, and it will force the English to confront a lot of their own issues.

Piffle...they wont last 5 minutes....

barryt007 wrote: »

Piffle...they wont last 5 minutes....

There are plenty of other countries in the EU of a similar or smaller size than Scotland that are doing fine, and most of them don't have North Sea oil. Add in a huge finance sector, whiskey, and a growing green technology sector and you have the foundations of a very strong Scotland. It is perfectly capable of standing on its own two feet - not even those opposed to independence pretend it is not a viable country in its own right. Outside of the South East of England, Scotland currently has the fastest growing economy in the UK - expect that to continue and accelerate under independence.

Frankly, given the increasing likelihood that the lunatics on the far right of the Tory party are going to bump the UK into leaving the EU, the Scots would be mad to not vote for independence and reassert control of their foreign policy before Cameron and co causes irreversible damage to British interests on the global stage.

Just think, if Scotland votes for independence, joins the EU and then a rump UK votes to leave the EU in 2017 (as most Tory MPs are hoping), it will be England looking like the irrelevant little country on the fringes of Europe.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,396
    It's a moot point currently because the 'Yes' campaign does not have enough support this time around (although I believe Scottish independence will happen eventually).

The argument over who controls the oil in the North Sea is a debate which will rage for years, maybe decades. Neither Westminster nor Holyrood will be prepared to let that go.
    I think you're right - I don't think the Scots have the guts to vote yes. But if they don't vote yes now, they will have to wait another 30 years at least for another vote. This is their chance.

If you look at a map it's pretty hard to see how any but a few fields off the coast of Northumbria could ever be defined as being in English coastal waters. An independent Scotland would clearly take the lion's share of the oil. Their problem is that stocks are obviously massively down from where they were 3 decades ago, and all the UK has to show for that huge oil boon is a lot dole checks paid out during the 80s and 90s. We basically used the oil money to pay people to do nothing, while dismantling our manufacturing sector. Genius.
    You two might want to open up a new thread about this before this happens :

5692d1357777469-dodge-going-discontinue-rallye-thread-derailed.jpg
    I think it's all very relevant to Sir Sean...
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,396
    I think you're right - I don't think the Scots have the guts to vote yes. But if they don't vote yes now, they will have to wait another 30 years at least for another vote. This is their chance.

If you look at a map it's pretty hard to see how any but a few fields off the coast of Northumbria could ever be defined as being in English coastal waters. An independent Scotland would clearly take the lion's share of the oil. Their problem is that stocks are obviously massively down from where they were 3 decades ago, and all the UK has to show for that huge oil boon is a lot dole checks paid out during the 80s and 90s. We basically used the oil money to pay people to do nothing, while dismantling our manufacturing sector. Genius.

If only it was that straightforward. Both the UK and Scottish Governments lay claim to the lion's share of the oil reserves in the North Sea and it's an issue which would be fought out in the European Courts for years to come.
    The 'No' campaigners are creating a lot of smokescreens to conceal the flimsyness of their arguments. The govt in Westminster is making up all kinds of scare stories. I have no doubt there'd be a bit of haggling over oil and the price the Scots will have to pay is taking their share of the national debt. But there is little doubt that most of the oil would go to Scotland.
    I think it's all very relevant to Sir Sean...

Its hardly Appreciation or News regarding Connery is it ? ...but i'm not a mod so its no skin off my nose..they can decide.

Well I suppose it is kind of relevant to Connery. He is probably the most famous living Scott at the moment and has actively joined the debate.
    Just out of curiosity, @Getafix, what nationality are you?