The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The mountain goes to Mohamed. Just as it should be.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/835421539?-:
    Sean Connery blamed for the Iraq war.
    http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/838810207?-::0

:D
    HAPPY 86th BIRTHDAY Sir Sean Connery
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Happy birthday, great uncle Sean. The best, the one and only.

Now which of his Bond films to watch in his honor...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Many happy returns to the legend.

sean-connery-here-the-real-thing-coke-25b7a4ddd1c6a32b5415a5aea5ce2622-large-841763.jpg
    Happy Birthday Sean!
    NicNac wrote: »
    Connery's accent has no bearing on his performances. DeNiro never bothered to hide his accent and he was considered the greatest of them all.

Connery is a great film actor, and I believe film acting to be the finest of all acting.
    On stage we celebrate great Shakespearian actors but how hard is Shakespeare? It's all about shouting, enunciating a few words, throwing arms around. Anyone can do that.
    ;)

Why do I think Dame Judi Dench would faint if she heard that comment ;)

Theatre acting (including Shakespeare) obviously requires A LOT of skill and concentration. I doubt it would come easy to a lot of people to not only learn that type of dialogue but perform it.

However, I do agree that film and theatre acting are very different. In theatre you are performing for an audience, in film you've basically got to forget the audience (I.e. the camera) is there.
    I know, I was sort of joking.

I was watching Shakespeare night on BBC a few weeks ago and it struck me how it required so much overly dramatic acting that I considered film acting to be more challenging if anything. Which is where dear old Tim went wrong.
    Connery did Shakespeare as a young man, they all have. But I don't think it should be the measure for great acting anymore. Brando tore the book up when he made A Streetcar named Desire.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Happy Birthday, King Thomas! Hope you are doing well.
    sean_connery_and_roger_moore.jpg

Happy Birthday to the greatest!
    The Greatest ?...is it Sir Roger's birthday then ? ;)
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Ha ha thought it was a great photo, to be honest they are both the greatest.
    Couldnt agree more !!
    Let's just hope he gets "Plenty" of presents ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Happy Birthday to the legend amongst mortals and the epitome of the alpha male:

4400048345_b2520c4dbe.jpg
    Belated Birthday wishes to the legend that is Sean Connery! ^:)^
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Two legends:
    Cary-Grand-with-Sean-Connery-1957.jpg
    bondjames wrote: »
    Two legends:
    Cary-Grand-with-Sean-Connery-1957.jpg

Bond and Grant ;)
    Did anyone come across some reports this week that Connery had died? Apparently there was a facebook page dedicated to condolence messages.

Fake of course, but I missed it completely
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I missed it too. Good thing I did.
    I know. After last year's events we don't want any celebrity deaths this year to include a Bond star. Especially Sean
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I wouldn't wish any of the Bonds to face a misfortune anytime soon. Please no.
    Good God,why would someone report that ? there are some sick people out there....I have heard nothing so I presume Sir Sean is fine ! ....phew...
    If you google Roger Moore, one of the first auto suggestions to come up is Roger Moore is dead.. It s bizarre.
    If you google Roger Moore, one of the first auto suggestions to come up is Roger Moore is dead.. It s bizarre.

Yes,i noticed that too...

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    That s sick. I remember Robert Smith was pronounced dead back in 1987 as well.
    That s sick. I remember Robert Smith was pronounced dead back in 1987 as well.
    I'm not convinced that isn't true, to be fair.

Paul McCartney in 1969 was the most famous.
    At the time no one had heard from him for some time, and fans were reading hidden messages in the records - John Lennon in Glass Onion sang 'Here's another clue for you all. The walrus is Paul'. Somehow they decided that meant Paul was dead.
    So they saw other clues on album covers and it all seemed mightily convincing, until a bemused and unaware Paul emerged from his Scottish farm hideaway and told everyone that he wasn't dead, as far as he knew.