The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree he's no William Shatner, but that's a bit harsh ! :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I hardly see any emotion out of Connery.

normal_vlcsnap-712997.jpg

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

In the Bond films I would say watch his expressions when the Embassy blows in FRWL (as an example). His face says he is subtly impressed by the force of the blast.

In the same film watch his face when Kerim teases him about his relationship with Tatiana (in Kerim's office) just before they laugh about it.

Watch him when he finds the girl covered in gold paint in Goldfinger. His confusion and shock are transparent without being over played. He's perfect in these scenes.

Outside of Bond watch him in The Hill, The Man Who Would Be King, The Molly Maguires, The Untouchables.
    If anyone doesn't think Connery is one of the modern cinemas most underrated actors, then just watch these films.

He can't swing an accent I know, but neither can Caine, or indeed Clint Eastwood. It's not such a big deal.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Connery's naturally cool demeanour on screen is one of the attributes I like the most about him. I'm not all that enamoured with men who show too much emotion in front of the camera, and especially in a Bond.
    The only thing that held Connery back was his inability to do a convincing
    Scottish accent. :D
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    The only thing that held Connery back was his inability to do a convincing
    Scottish accent. :D

Well he has his very own Sean Connery accent. non of the scotish actors ive seen speak like him at all. Look at Ewan Mc Gregor or Richrad Madden in Game of thrones their accents are nothing like Sean's hehe.

Sean Connery made his own accent try to top that

Both he and Michael Caine, did their own thing. :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Only Sean Connery could play an irish immigrant and a russian submarine commander with a thick scottish accent. ;)
    And no one passes any remarks, after all it's SEAN CONNERY ! :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Only Sean Connery could play an irish immigrant and a russian submarine commander with a thick scottish accent. ;)

Or a Frenchman, Spaniard or American. No one cares.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I religiously follow Dame Edna...and poor Madge...

Please watch this 9 and a half minutes of pure bliss.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/INWMAFgZDNg"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Never understood the humour.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    NO ONE is but The Shat himself. Connery comes respectfully close though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    NO ONE is but The Shat himself. Connery comes respectfully close though.
    Nobody does emotion like Shat.

sean-connery-bane.jpg
    If you're gonna steal, steal from the best ! ;)
    Indeed Connerys voice is unmistakable and empathises his strength of character, no one has pulled of a Scottish, Spanish Egyptian quite like Sean. ^:)^
    Even in first knight, I thought. " Yep, that's what a king should look and
    Sound like !" =D>
    Imagine if Bane had sounded like Brosnan instead.
    Untouchables I watched a few weeks ago, a power house performance Connery owned every scene. I have Irish and Scottish blood, his Irish accent was brilliant. ;))
    Don't hate me for this but ........

Many Americans probably can't tell the difference in any of the British
    Regional accents, let alone, Scottish, Irish or Welsh !

There I've said it, let the hate mail begin. :D ( I'm so Evil )

All English accents sound the same to me....

(lucky no Barbel is here or things would turn nasty
    :)) )
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432

You read my mind and that's most likely true, I have strong Scottish ties though I have a English accent, one of my Grandparents was Welsh and not always easy to understand never mind detect accent. Great movie stars are that because of presence, Pacino and De Niro and Bogart always sounded the same. I love Harrison Ford though why he chose to do a terrible accent in K-19: The Widowmaker is beyond me, found it jarring and took me out of the film. Fake accents don't necessarily work.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 13,384
    =))
    Although it's probably the same over here with American accents. I can
    Only tell New York, or Southern, the rest all sound basically the same to
    Me, American.
    =))
    Although it's probably the same over here with American accents. I can
    Only tell New York, or Southern, the rest all sound basically the same to
    Me, American.
    Let's take a word... oil.
    Brooklyn NY - earl.
    Deep south - all.
    Texas - oh,yell.
    Northeast - oil.
    California - grease.

:P
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Sorry boys from the US.

There is one accent that gets me going everytime.

@mcdonbb

Texan.
    I love the sound of it. It's pure sex.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Connery's accent has no bearing on his performances. DeNiro never bothered to hide his accent and he was considered the greatest of them all.

Connery is a great film actor, and I believe film acting to be the finest of all acting.
    On stage we celebrate great Shakespearian actors but how hard is Shakespeare? It's all about shouting, enunciating a few words, throwing arms around. Anyone can do that.
    ;)
    Sorry boys from the US.

There is one accent that gets me going everytime.

@mcdonbb

Texan.
    I love the sound of it. It's pure sex.

Pure if you're into steers and sheep. Many go to Ivy League colleges to remove all trace.

"but Clint has the edge"

So did Bruce Lee...sure , I like Jackie as well but couldn't really imagine him as a bad guy...with Lee , I could.
    NicNac wrote: »

In the Bond films I would say watch his expressions when the Embassy blows in FRWL (as an example). His face says he is subtly impressed by the force of the blast.

In the same film watch his face when Kerim teases him about his relationship with Tatiana (in Kerim's office) just before they laugh about it.

Watch him when he finds the girl covered in gold paint in Goldfinger. His confusion and shock are transparent without being over played. He's perfect in these scenes.

Outside of Bond watch him in The Hill, The Man Who Would Be King, The Molly Maguires, The Untouchables.
    If anyone doesn't think Connery is one of the modern cinemas most underrated actors, then just watch these films.

He can't swing an accent I know, but neither can Caine, or indeed Clint Eastwood. It's not such a big deal.

Those are great examples. He's certainly upset when finding Jill painted, but doesn't overplay it or indicate in any way. Also as that laser is inching it's way closer and closer he is genuinely concerned.
    When I saw FRWL on the big screen some years back, I noticed subtle nuances in Sean's performance I had never quite caught before. The tension he displays as he and Kerim are about to kill Krilencu. He has a tense facial expression there. His rapport with Kerim throughout is natural- nothing forced. Also when interrogating Tania- he is pissed, but not over doing it. No angry faces- just natural and subtle. In my opinion, as much as I love Tim and Daniel, it's Sean's specific performance in FRWL that is truest to Fleming's Bond.
    In Thunderball when he finds Paula- his reaction conveys everything in one simple shot.
    I'll even go as far as to defend his "Bond, James Bond" reading in NSNA. Granted, it is probably far from many's favorite version of that line, but he's essentially apologizing and explaining himself to Domino to win her over to his side. He's not really saying it for the sake of it's iconic status, it's just part of the scene.
    I agree about The Hill, The Man Who Would Be King- his non Bond performances- he has it all. I'd throw in The Offence as well.