The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes I think this is the point about Connery. I was watching Goldfinger last week and he is so damned relaxed in his own skin it's awe inspiring.
    I was watching him carefully when he sees Jill's gold painted body, the difference between his acting and Dalton when the latter sees Della's body in LTK. Connery conveys every emotion effortlessly whereas Dalton just gives us the old ramped up theatrics.
    And no man looks better than Connery in shorts.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,130
    timmer wrote: »
    One of Connery's best intv moments is when he gives it right back to Barbara WahWah.
    So smooth, she thought he was going to mea culpa, as she built assumptions into her "questions" instead he threw it right back at her. ie don't you lecture me, you blah blah blah.
    Sean does not suffer fools gladly. Poor Wah Wah was in schock. Sean, completely in control.
    Gave her a good story to tell the other dummies on the View maybe.
    "What a brute" "Animal" "Wah Wah...however did you manage to keep it together?"

Ohh my that interview with Barbara.
    Something tells me he answered that way just to piss her off, maybe he thought : that woman wants to intimidate me or say she made me cry, so im gonna make her pay for it.

and he scared her to death, it would have been so easy to say, no i don't think that way anoymore and i love woman so id never hurt a woman but instead he said i haven't changed my mind and gave an example on the moment where he would slap a woman.

Only Sean Connery.

I think no one deserves to be treated with Violence however i think Barbara messed with the wrong guy and Sean said what he we heard to piss her off but come on many woman were listening to that interview why he didn't pick something else to make her go mad.

He was hurting his gentleman fantasy.
    We woman don't have to pay for Barbara's snarky attitude towards him.

Anyway saying so i loved him as Bond.
    He was the perfect balance between light and dark Bond and a sex appeal which si something that it seems unreal

• edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    NicNac wrote: »
    Yes I think this is the point about Connery. I was watching Goldfinger last week and he is so damned relaxed in his own skin it's awe inspiring.
    I was watching him carefully when he sees Jill's gold painted body, the difference between his acting and Dalton when the latter sees Della's body in LTK. Connery conveys every emotion effortlessly whereas Dalton just gives us the old ramped up theatrics.
    And no man looks better than Connery in shorts.

THANK YOU!! :)
    :-bd
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2015 Posts: 10,586
    Not sure if this was posted before. Here's a video of Sean being interviewed at a gala back in March. He seems to be doing well.
    http://saskatoon.broadway.com/videos/156010/john-gore-honored-by-sean-connery-laura-michelle-kelly-more-at-uja-gala/
    He certainly does look well. Thanks for that jake24
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    No problem
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Happy birthday to the stubborn old goat.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Happy Birthday to the man who started it all!
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Happy birthday Mr Connery <:-P

He's not so tough...he blinks when he shoots Dent at 0.20 ;)
    Many happy returns to a true cinema icon.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    First we wouldn't be talking about a Bond franchise If it wasn't for him.
    He made this character the success he is now.

And of course I've always said how his acting style doesn't feel dated at all.
    He had everything you wanted in the James Bond character and was the perfect combination between Fleming 's and the cinematic Bond.

I loved Sean Connery as Bond he will always be my favorite along with Pierce Brosnan.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I think this is worth a new thread, but as it was closed I guess Connery's 85th birthday is not any special day to celebrate....well here is what I put in that other thread.

Sean Connery celebrates his 85th birthday today. He was born August 25th, 1930.

He was an action hero, a womaniser, he saved the world several times.

This is a hymn of praise to the man who made James Bond into an iconic figure.

Bond, James Bond.

Moore, Lazenby, Brosnan, Dalton and Craig, all of them saying this legendary words.
    But no one did it with more style, power and charm than Connery!

Seven times did Connery appear as James Bond and saved the day.

Many believe Sean Connery was and still is the best James Bond ever.

He had this incomparable smile, the right amount of irony, this fabulous unmistakable Scottish accent, and the ultimate charm that no Bond girl could ever resist.

In 1989 he was voted sexiest man alive by People Magazine and this with almost 60 years of age!

Some may have Moore, Dalton, Brosnan or Craig as their favourite Bond, but I think no one would even dare to argue that Connery is the prototype to Bond, and the most loved and respected of them all.

Happy Birthday, Sean Connery
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He looks to be in great shape!
    Come out of retirement Sean!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, don't let that Extraordinary League thing get you down too much. We all make mistakes. Come on back in "GoT" or something.

Happy Birthday. Many happy returns. Hope to be saying that many more times for many more years.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,130
    I think this is worth a new thread, but as it was closed I guess Connery's 85th birthday is not any special day to celebrate....well here is what I put in that other thread.

Sean Connery celebrates his 85th birthday today. He was born August 25th, 1930.

He was an action hero, a womaniser, he saved the world several times.

This is a hymn of praise to the man who made James Bond into an iconic figure.

Bond, James Bond.

Moore, Lazenby, Brosnan, Dalton and Craig, all of them saying this legendary words.
    But no one did it with more style, power and charm than Connery!

Seven times did Connery appear as James Bond and saved the day.

Many believe Sean Connery was and still is the best James Bond ever.

He had this incomparable smile, the right amount of irony, this fabulous unmistakable Scottish accent, and the ultimate charm that no Bond girl could ever resist.

In 1989 he was voted sexiest man alive by People Magazine and this with almost 60 years of age!

Some may have Moore, Dalton, Brosnan or Craig as their favourite Bond, but I think no one would even dare to argue that Connery is the prototype to Bond, and the most loved and respected of them all.

Happy Birthday, Sean Connery

Very nicely written
    Like you say many of us can have another favorite but we all recognize that if it wasn't for Sean Connery we would never have the others.
    You said it perfectly he is the prototype of Bond the one all have used as the example to make their own.
    The other 5 have been inspired in some way by his portrayal.

Happy birthday to Sean Connery

Great to know he is still going strong!!!! ^:)^
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0674mg5/sean-connery-in-his-own-words

Just finished watching this fun documentary. Sadly no new interviews from the man himself BUT there is an appearance from an admirer who's very well known around here ;)
    That will fill an hour of my time later on - thanks for posting BAIN.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Just watched Marnie this afternoon and wow what a wonderful performance By Sean Connery in that film.

The scene where he Brings Marnie to see her mother and confornt her demonds was really intense and Connery expressed so much there.

Also the scene where he tells her at the resaturant that he wants to belive her was really porwerful or at their house when they are relating words its just magnificent.

What a wondeful film by hitchcock and great performsnces all around its 10/10.
    Tippy Hedren and the actress who played her mother were amazing.

If you havent seen this don't dare to miss it.
    Now i know where Dakota got her talent from, Melanie is not Bad but its clear Dakota Johnson is just like her grandmother.

And Sean i dont have enough words to praise him.
    Everything id say id fall short
    Indeed, Marnie is a much underrated film and proof that great directors like Hitchcock saw the potential in Connery in his early Bond appearances.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,130
    NicNac wrote: »
    Indeed, Marnie is a much underrated film and proof that great directors like Hitchcock saw the potential in Connery in his early Bond appearances.

Thats right Hitchcock saw more than Bond in him and this shows why he had the best career after leaving the franchise
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sir Sean was at the Djokovic-Federer US Open final last night.

11988224_10153684972608701_8614973612275470405_n.jpg?oh=5854b567d4fce4bf370f19c3001d5d18&oe=56624204
    He looks to be in good shape.
    He certainly does!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    The older I get, the more I appreciate Connery.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2015 Posts: 15,686
    Sir Sean's reaction when he heard the new Bond film is just around the corner:

http://giphy.com/gifs/lExXm1vSE7zb2/html5

Getafix wrote: »

Have we heard any more about this?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Connery launched a counter claim to sue.