The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

See here - the standard means of deciding who the oil belongs to would give 90%+ of it to Scotland. The No campaigners might pretend that there's going to be some almighty fight, but that isn't going to happen. It's clear from international precedent who the oil would belong to. The bigger question is how much is left.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2012/mar/02/oil-revenues-if-scotland-became-independent
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Back on topic please. If people really want to discuss this, by all means create a thread for it.

Thank you.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,421
    No new stuff, but an interesting viewing, nonetheless. UK residents only -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b050cng3/talking-pictures-34-sean-connery
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Excellent. We need a bit of Sean love around here, especially as he has retired and isn't really giving us much news. Thanks for the link @royale65
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    royale65 wrote: »
    No new stuff, but an interesting viewing, nonetheless -

I'm not allowed to look at it just 'cause I'm a Yank.
    #-o
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    That's racism there!
    Connery is the yardstick by which all other Bonds are measured, which is not to say some of his successors weren't more accomplished actors. Quite simply, his work as Bond remains the best, even in films that didn't measure up. Outside of Bond, I think PB and DC show greater range in a variety of styles of film. I particularly PB comedies.

The camera loves Connery, and never does he exhibit an awareness of it. He so at ease on film you could almost be forgiven for thinking you could do as well.

For me, there is no debate. I don't care about his other films, the disappointment we may have felt in other ways, nothing about his attitudes or personal life. They don't impact my enjoyment of watching him act. When you have seen films over and over, you then have pleasure of studying an actor at work.

No matter who has succeeded SC, we always find ourselves comparing the original with the latest actor. Could SC have done OHMSS, LALD, GE, TLD, or CR? I don't care. It didn't happen.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Connery is the yardstick by which all other Bonds are measured
    He sort of HAS to be, now doesn't he?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Connery is " Da Man!" ;)
    Watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a few weeks ago ( not a great film)
    But Connery is still brilliant in it, as stated the camera loves him.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,622
    One of Connery's best intv moments is when he gives it right back to Barbara WahWah.
    So smooth, she thought he was going to mea culpa, as she built assumptions into her "questions" instead he threw it right back at her. ie don't you lecture me, you blah blah blah.
    Sean does not suffer fools gladly. Poor Wah Wah was in schock. Sean, completely in control.
    Gave her a good story to tell the other dummies on the View maybe.
    "What a brute" "Animal" "Wah Wah...however did you manage to keep it together?"

One thing that is quite strange, is that Sean Connery never attended Bond anniversaries or Bond shows. Was he that outlandish or maybe the producers never invited him? A good example is the BAFTA 2002 show where all other Bonds attended.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    royale65 wrote: »
    No new stuff, but an interesting viewing, nonetheless -

I'm not allowed to look at it just 'cause I'm a Yank.
    #-o

If you're keen to see it, you can install a VPN like Tunnelbear and then set your location as UK. Then you can watch it.
    Kostas_P wrote: »
    One thing that is quite strange, is that Sean Connery never attended Bond anniversaries or Bond shows. Was he that outlandish or maybe the producers never invited him? A good example is the BAFTA 2002 show where all other Bonds attended.

Long story, but Sean felt he had been taken for a mug during the 60s and Cubby owed him a lot (financially). As such he never really forgave the Broccolis and although he won't step away from discussing his time as Bond neither will he toe the line and support the franchise with personal appearances.
    NicNac wrote: »

Long story, but Sean felt he had been taken for a mug during the 60s and Cubby owed him a lot (financially). As such he never really forgave the Broccolis and although he won't step away from discussing his time as Bond neither will he toe the line and support the franchise with personal appearances.

Yes, this is known... "time is a healer" apparently didn't count for Connery, given the fact that the franchise made him famous. Anyway, it's really a pity.
    NicNac wrote: »

Yes, this is known... "time is a healer" apparently didn't count for Connery, given the fact that the franchise made him famous. Anyway, it's really a pity.

It's a real chicken and egg situation. Did Connery become a star because of Cubby or did Cubby's series succeed because of the huge popularity of Connery (we must never underestimate how important Sean's performance was to the series)?
    Probably more the former than the latter, but Sean clearly felt his contribution wasn't recognised financially.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Connery turned 84 last year. The time for travel and personal appearances I think might be long done.
    Although I do realize he did sour on any Eon related promotion quite some time ago.
    Relaxing at home and favourite local haunts might be the order of the day now. Minimal travel.

If I can make it to 80 let alone 84, I hope to be playing short golf courses and doing much sitting about and peaceably watching my movie collection.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just sit by the window and eat your grapes, Sean. Maybe curse at some youngsters. You have earned it.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Connery was, and always will be, the man
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I don't know if this has ever been posted; it's a painting by Sebastian Kruger

sean_connery__scotland_forever_2014_zpsdlv1roqt.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow! Absolutely phenomenal!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    And a bit more mature.

Sean%20Connery%20-%20New%20Pop%20Realism%20-%20Sebastian%20KrAtildefrac14ger%201963%20-%20TuttArt_zpsc72es9lq.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Looking at that last pic all I can hear in my head is, 'joonyuur'.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don't know if this has ever been posted; it's a painting by Sebastian Kruger

sean_connery__scotland_forever_2014_zpsdlv1roqt.jpg

The man clearly has talent! That is so detailed and stunning! =D>
    Amazing realism.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Sean issued a response to these fake reports. "Don't worry everyone, Itsh all bollockshs"
    Sean Connery spotted in Miami!

Along with a train and some birds.
    https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11768&t=mi6&s=news

Genuinely heart warming to see the old rogue up and about.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    You can never recreate the magic of those early movies. The era, the glamour and his unreconstructed masculinity will never be matched.
    QFT. Someone asked in another thread if future books/movies should be set during the coldwar 60s, and someone replied that Fleming intended his character to be in tune with the times--therefore any new Bond should reflect new attitudes--and I appreciate that going forward with new actors has created new Bond fans in each new generation . . . I had given up on the franchise after Connery left but the Daniel Craig movies brought me back, because there are so many references to the early films they feel like an homage to The Original Bond, BUT--yes, Fleming intended his character to be in tune with the times but the times he was in tune with was fifty years ago and if you intend to make a character that's relevant in the 21st century . . . create a new character but don't call him James Bond. As far as I'm concerned there is only one James Bond and that's Sean Connery.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    As far as I'm concerned there is only one James Bond and that's Sean Connery.

Although I've liked all the Bonds to varying degrees, you're probably right on this. He is the definitive screen Bond and conveyed a certain effortless masculinity in the role, combined with elegance/class, that I've never seen anyone (not just the successor Bonds, but anyone) come even close to capturing since. He didn't even look like he was trying.